Paschal Chukwu has list | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Paschal Chukwu has list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

They are more similar than most here would like to admit, however, UConn was a shoe-in for the tournament last year postseason ban not withstanding, while PC was a middling NIT team that failed to beat a two-legged Husky team on the final game of the season. You then caused the eyes of every spectator in attendence to bleed with your abysmal performance against Cincy in the BET, and had an unmemorable run in the NIT. UConn also beat Syracuse and Michigan State, two signature wins that PC failed to register. In addition, PC loses one of their most important players in Vincent Council, while UConn returns their entire team aside from RJ Evans, who frequently played less than ten minutes a game. UConn also beat you on your homecourt despite as lopsided a rebounding battle as you'll ever see, something that figures not to repeat itself now that UConn has added some needed help inside.

I think even most PC fans would admit UConn has the best player of the two rosters in Shabazz Napier, a first team All-Big East selection and potential pre-season All-American. Bryce Cotton is certainly no slouch, but I think most would agree Napier is the more complete player. Boatright is an additional proven commodity in the backcourt, and Calhoun and Dunn appear to be on similar paths to stardom. There is substancial evidence to support the idea that Deandre Daniels is an emerging star - he posted something like a 20/10 in his final four games of the season last year, and top ten recruits who stick around until their junior year generally tend to perform pretty well, especially when they're a UConn wing. PC certainly has far fewer question marks in the frontcourt than UConn, but Henton (40% from the field, 25% from three) and Batts (0.6 b/pg) are certainly flawed in certain areas. Does PC have enough shotblocking prowess to defend at a high level consistency? If Dunn's development stalls, do they have enough weaponry offensively? Granted, UConn has similar questions they need to answer, but I think they have a higher ceiling, particularly on the offensive end. Their players also appear more fearless in the face of stiff competition - G'Town, Marquette, Cuse, MSU, New Mexico, Notre Dame, and Cincy all played UConn down to the wire, while PC mostly wet the bed when presented with an opportunity to record a marquee win. PC will surely be interesting to watch this year, though, and I begrudingly wish you luck (your fanbase is annoying, but I respect you guys for sticking with your team through the bad years).

Reaction Score

Congrats on Dunn and Austin........kinda like our guys Purvis, Facey and Hamilton a little better.........and good luck with Abu and Chukwu you never know!! But we'll be fine no matter and the Huskies will be in the NCAA tourney not sitting home or just maybe, with a huge season in the NIT like the Friars!! I like Cooley and he's a good guy I'm sure, but let's not underestimate the team he had left year from the "scrap" he was left and the rebuilding you say, it was pretty good and went nowhere. He still has a lot to prove I'm afraid!

Reaction Score

Because for the whole year UConn was simply a better team, beat teams PC couldn't dream of beating and would've gone to the dance. When you guys stop looking at head-to-head you will get it........it's the Super Bowl for your team in New England, many of them shunned by Husky recruiters yet very good players. As said above, natural instinct of players and it proves out all the time. PC playes UConn tough..........but they're not nearly as good!!! Check to post season numbers and then we can actually stop this thread!

Reaction Score
I am not so sure the talent levels are necessarily that close as you seem to think. UConn appears to have more certain to likely NBA players, no? And why do you think the performances were that close last year. Sure the head-to-head games were close but UConn had a much better record against a more difficult schedule. It seems pretty straightforward to be honest.

Reaction Score
Because for the whole year UConn was simply a better team, beat teams PC couldn't dream of beating and would've gone to the dance. When you guys stop looking at head-to-head you will get it........it's the Super Bowl for your team in New England, many of them shunned by Husky recruiters yet very good players. As said above, natural instinct of players and it proves out all the time. PC playes UConn tough..........but they're not nearly as good!!! Check to post season numbers and then we can actually stop this thread!

Even head-to-head, UConn beat them with 3-4 starters out. Frankly, it's hard to understand why PC gave up like that against an undermanned team with Wolf, Giffey, Calhoun benched and a gimpy Shabazz out there.

Reaction Score

UConn has a group of seniors that have national championship experience. All things being equal that is a big advantage. Talent and skill wise they may be comparable. But UConn has A LOT more experience playing on national TV and winning big tournaments.

Reaction Score

Alright J you here's your answer and it's our FINAL answer........grasp this one okay?

You beat NJIT by 1 last year, do you feel they are s good as you guys? You were beaten by Brown by 1 last year, do you feel they are as good as you guys? Now you're getting the idea of what it's like for UConn to play PC J..........oh yeah is 20-10 vs a difficult schedule a lot better than 19-15 with a mediocre at best schedule??

C'mon we know you're not that stupid!!:eek:

Reaction Score

I know you're going to respond with the injury excuse before you even finish reading this, but you cannot call last year "pretty even" when you consider that Uconn would have made the NCAA tournament by a comfortable margin and PC was a 4 seed in the NIT.

The fact that the two head-to-head matchups were close doesn't mean anything - it's 2 games out of 30. By your logic, I wonder what you think of South Florida, who took us to overtime at Gampel and ran us off the court at their place. USF played us a lot more "evenly" than PC did. But the point is, as usual, PC fans put way too much stock in the head-to-head matchup....even somehow in a year when PC manages to lose both games.

And stop acting as if this site is the only place around that feels this way about our respective teams' prospects. If certain threads are any indication, both fanbases feel that their teams are being slighted in some preseason polls. The difference is Uconn fans feel slighted when Uconn's picked outside of the top 20. PC fans feel slighted that zags picked you to finish 8th in the Big East.

Reaction Score

Friar J, I think you guys will be good this year and will probably make the NCAA tournament, but playing close games does not make 2 teams evenly matched. We won playing terribly while getting out rebounded by 30, and we won with half our team injured.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The bottom line is Paschal would better himself more if he came to UConn. They have more to offer than PC. The kid isn't stupid and he understands this.

Reaction Score
You guys can't have it both ways. Either injuries count or they don't. Shabazz was as gimpy as Cotton was. The only guy that was injured that would have been a factor in the Gampel game was Calhoun. The front court guys are pretty interchangeable; and I would argue the depletions actually helped DD realize that he needed to be more assertive.

As far as programs go; there is no comparison. What I contend, and you guys never concede is that EC has PC playing a lot closer to where UCONN currently is than you care to admit. It's why guys like Dunn, Ledo and Austin chose PC over UConn. It's why the big fella may.
The landscape has changed. UCONN is still a top program; but the guy who won 3 NCs ain't walking through that door. Will Ollie succeed; my money would bet that he does. Buy does that mean NCs? It's tough to do. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
What I contend, and you guys never concede is that EC has PC playing a lot closer to where UCONN currently is than you care to admit.

Based on what exactly? Don't give me Brandon Austin signing a letter of intent. What tangible, on-the-court evidence is there for you to make this claim? "Where Uconn currently is" is a clear NCAA tournament team last year with everyone of note back, and is being picked anywhere from 12-25th nationally in the preseason polls.

Ed Cooley is going to have to make one, just one, NCAA tournament before you can make statements like that. Until that happens, you're just waiting for "next year" as usual.

Reaction Score
Cooley should have them in the tournament next year. They're a good group of players, and, depending on the seeding, could win a game or two.

I like UConn's team much better than PC's, but I think PC should be good, and should be in the tournament. I think UConn should be Top 15 all year, and PC fringe Top 25.

Good luck next year. Hopefully we can get Chukwu and Abu to come to UConn, but Cooley can obviously recruit pretty darn well (and, for Chukwu, so can Lavin), so it will be a battle.

Reaction Score
Finally, ESPN has updated Chukwu's profile!
http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...g/player/evaluation/_/id/142383/pascal-chukwu
I'm guessing his weight is a typo at 202 lbs! Probably meant 220 lbs.
Scouting Report
ESPN Analyst
Updated 06/17/2013
Strengths:
Chukwu's size and length are his most obvious assets, but he also has a great pair of feet for a guy his size, giving him outstanding agility and mobility to cover the court. He's an excellent shot-blocker whose ability to change direction only makes him that much more dangerous patrolling the paint and protecting the rim from wide radius's. He's also a diligent rebounder who is content to dominate a game on the defensive end. While he doesn't need a ton of touches to stay engaged, Chukwu has tools to work with in a soft touch, a passer's instinct, fairly good hands, and the ability to change ends of the floor.
Weaknesses:
Physical strength is his top priority right now. His lean body type and high center of gravity make it difficult for him to hold his position against contact at times. His defense is far ahead of his offense right now. He needs to become a more consistent finisher at the rim, establish a go-to move with his back to the basket, and begin to learn how to play pick and roll.
Bottom Line:
He needs to get stronger and develop his offensive game, but this is a seven-footer who can anchor your team defensively, will give you a diligent effort, and has tools to continue to develop in the years to come.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
You guys can't have it both ways. Either injuries count or they don't. Shabazz was as gimpy as Cotton was. The only guy that was injured that would have been a factor in the Gampel game was Calhoun. The front court guys are pretty interchangeable; and I would argue the depletions actually helped DD realize that he needed to be more assertive.

As far as programs go; there is no comparison. What I contend, and you guys never concede is that EC has PC playing a lot closer to where UCONN currently is than you care to admit. It's why guys like Dunn, Ledo and Austin chose PC over UConn. It's why the big fella may.
The landscape has changed. UCONN is still a top program; but the guy who won 3 NCs ain't walking through that door. Will Ollie succeed; my money would bet that he does. Buy does that mean NCs? It's tough to do. Time will tell.

I actually think Providence was closest to UConn around 03' when you guys had Gomes, McGrath, and Brewington.

caw

Reaction Score

Injuries matter, of course they do. UConn beat PC while playing 6 guys. PC lost to UMass and PSU. Wins and losses also count.

As to your assertion about Calhoun being the only guy that would have been a factor, that's a joke. Giffey was/is a very important player and would have been a factor.

EC had PC closer to UConn last year than most years. Whether that was because PC is truly on the upswing or UConn had a bump on the road with the coaching transition/NCAA penalty, that remains to be seen.

On the court, UConn had the better record, the better quality wins and two head to head victories. While UConn would have been an NCAAT team (4-9 seed depending on theoretical BET results), PC was an NIT and not even that close to the NCAAT bubble. Basically, even while closer, the gap is still quite big, even in Cooley's best year at PC (so far).

As for recruiting, PC has had some nice wins with Dunn and Austin, but they also had Coleman not that long ago. Ledo never played for PC, so I don't know how to factor him.

UConn picked up Calhoun instead of Dunn, and personally I throw 2013 recruiting battles almost out the window with the coaching transition and Ollie's contract. Cooley got Austin, but it's impossible to know what Austin would have done if Ollie were on a long-term contract.

Considering UConn has Purvis coming in/playing and Hamilton committed for 2014, I think Ollie is off to a great recruiting start, not to mention Facey, Samuel, Brimah and Kromah coming in this year.

As for next year, PC has a good amount of talent on paper, but they also have a ton of unknowns. Can Austin acclimate to college BBall quickly? Will Harris or Derosiers provide anything more than the limited stats they put up on their old teams? Batts and Cotton are solid starting blocks and Dunn should be able to improve some, but filling Council's shoes may not be easy.

UConn returns pretty much everyone. UConn only loses Evans and maybe Wolf. They replace Evans with Samuel and Kromah. They replace Wolf with Facey and Brimah.

How many non-NCAAT years does Cooley have at PC before he is canned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom