The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread

Reaction Score
General Manager Aaron Rodgers has spoken and with that, the Jets' window may very well have closed.

I don't think it had to be done, necessarily. As a defensive coach, Saleh didn't call for or throw an INT return for TD, nor did he call or throw the game clinching INT for Minnesota. I presume Hackett becomes interim coach, so their offensive issues remain.
He's not a defensive coach. He's the head coach. He's responsible for everything and none of it was working.

To be honest? The interim coach says a couple very loud things to me.

1) It is extremely rare that an interim coach is a long term solution. The examples of an interim coach who becomes "the guy" and leads a team to years of success is very, very few and far between.
2) The people running the Jets feel that's their best shot with what they've built here.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I think Woody still thinks they can win this year…and they can. But not without significant changes on offense. I would imagine Woody knows this….so why fire the head coach who has a defensive focus…install the DC as interim head coach…when the offense is the problem?

Does he think the offensive issues are because Rodgers didn’t like Saleh? Does he think that Ulbrich will be able to influence Rodgers and Hackett to change their scheme? Did he not want to bring Adams in with dysfuntional leadership?

I think Woody is frustrated…and when he was asked about taking on Adams and his salary (and giving up draft picks) he realized that the Jets would still stink if Saleh is still there with Rodgers. So he is rolling the dice that a change in leadership and the addition of Adams will turn the season around.

Of course that assumes an Adams trade is a viable possibility.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
He's not a defensive coach. He's the head coach. He's responsible for everything and none of it was working.

To be honest? The interim coach says a couple very loud things to me.

1) It is extremely rare that an interim coach is a long term solution. The examples of an interim coach who becomes "the guy" and leads a team to years of success is very, very few and far between.
2) The people running the Jets feel that's their best shot with what they've built here.

He was the DC for San Fran, has a defensive background, and the defense performed pretty well over his tenure. The Jets signed a number of former Packers and brought in Hackett to lore Rodgers and/or make him more comfortable. Hackett and Rodgers are mostly responsible for the offense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He was the DC for San Fran, has a defensive background, and the defense performed pretty well over his tenure. The Jets signed a number of former Packers and brought in Hackett to lore Rodgers and/or make him more comfortable. Hackett and Rodgers are mostly responsible for the offense.
I think the Jets have something like the #3 Defense right now. I don't think Saleh is the answer but firing him and not Hackett is comically bad decision making. Bringing in Rogers' preferred players was dumb as well.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
firing him and not Hackett is comically bad decision making.
Logic would say that there is more here than meets the eye. Obviously Woody thinks the reason why the Jets and offense stink is leadership. If the Jets keep Hackett and continue to play the same scheme…and don’t get Adams…then this move makes no sense.

I was a bit surprised to hear that Douglas wasn’t consulted on the change…especially when you consider that technically Saleh reports to Douglas. Which to me says that Woody felt he had no choice but to fire Saleh….and it wasn’t up for debate.

I am looking forward to the jets playing a team next year with Saleh as their DC and that team destroys them.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised to hear that Douglas wasn’t consulted on the change…especially when you consider that technically Saleh reports to Douglas. Which to me says that Woody felt he had no choice but to fire Saleh….and it wasn’t up for debate.
i guess he was consulted

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Logic would say that there is more here than meets the eye. Obviously Woody thinks the reason why the Jets and offense stink is leadership. If the Jets keep Hackett and continue to play the same scheme…and don’t get Adams…then this move makes no sense.

I am looking forward to the jets playing a team next year with Saleh as their DC and that team destroys them.
You nailed it.

Reaction Score
His last job and his background don't matter. He's the head coach and he's responsible for everything, not just the defense. The defense, ranked however they are, was not performing consistently.

Hackett and Rodgers do what the head coach tells them to do. They're not responsible. They're the workers. They execute what they're told to execute.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

I would like to see Downing take over playcalling…especially if they don’t fire Hackett. Otherwise..I just don’t see how this fixes the situation.

Husky25

Reaction Score
His last job and his background don't matter. He's the head coach and he's responsible for everything, not just the defense. The defense, ranked however they are, was not performing consistently.

Hackett and Rodgers do what the head coach tells them to do. They're not responsible. They're the workers. They execute what they're told to execute.

That's laughable.

Saleh did come up with gameplans on hs own. Who called the offensive plays? Hackett was brought in to appease/lore Rodgers to New York. Same with half the skill position players they signed before last season. Rodgers is as much a mere "worker" to the Jets as LeBron is in Los Angeles.

Rodgers and Hackett couldn't muster more than 3 field goal attempts and lost by 1 to Denver (i.e. the defense only gave up 10 points.). The defense then gave the Jets a chance to win in London after Rodgers threw a 1st quarter pick 6 and before Rodgers threw a game clinching INT. The defense was strong from about mid 2nd quarter on.

The Jets probably should be 4-1.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's laughable.

Saleh did come up with gameplans on hs own. Who called the offensive plays? Hackett was brought in to appease/lore Rodgers to New York. Same with half the skill position players they signed before last season. Rodgers is as much a mere "worker" to the Jets as LeBron is in Los Angeles.

Edit: Didn't come up with gameplans on his own.

Reaction Score
That's laughable.

Rodgers and Hackett couldn't muster more than 3 field goal attempts and lost by 1 to Denver (i.e. the defense only gave up 10 points.). The defense then gave the Jets a chance to win in London after Rodgers threw a 1st quarter pick 6 and before Rodgers threw a game clinching INT. The defense was strong from about mid 2nd quarter on.

The Jets probably should be 4-1.
You could learn something by reading up on a concept called extreme ownership.

Simply stated, you're ultimately responsible for everything under your watch. Woody is responsible ultimately and he made his call here and that's why I give him credit.

I know Saleh didn't call the offensive plays, but he's the HEAD COACH. If the offense isn't working, it's his fault and it's up to him to make sure it gets fixed. If Rodgers isn't happy? It's up to Saleh to manage the locker room personalities and dynamic. And he was awful in those areas.

He doesn't get a pass at his failure as Jets Head Coach because he's a "defensive guy" and the defense was good.

Reaction Score
Look at it this way. Right now? Mayo is in a very tenuous situation. `His game plan of easing Maye in is over and now the clock starts ticking on whether Maye is your franchise QB or not.

If Mayo did a better job, Brissett wouldn't have to be removed and Maye could have gotten seasoned a little longer on the sidelines. If Maye comes in, gets shelled by no OL protection and fails? Mayo is the guy that takes the fall. Period.

Husky25

Reaction Score
You could learn something by reading up on a concept called extreme ownership.

Simply stated, you're ultimately responsible for everything under your watch. Woody is responsible ultimately and he made his call here and that's why I give him credit.

I know Saleh didn't call the offensive plays, but he's the HEAD COACH. If the offense isn't working, it's his fault and it's up to him to make sure it gets fixed. If Rodgers isn't happy? It's up to Saleh to manage the locker room personalities and dynamic. And he was awful in those areas.

He doesn't get a pass at his failure as Jets Head Coach because he's a "defensive guy" and the defense was good.

Is that reality? I have my doubts, from my view from the outside.

I'm not saying that Saleh is above reproach. He came into the season with an 18-33 record, but he is not the reason the Jets sit where they do this season.

The story is that the loss to the Broncos was a moment of truth for Woody Johnson, but losing to Sam Darnold was the straw that broke the camel's back. Johnson says that the conversation he had with Rodgers on Monday night had nothing to do with Saleh and had no influence in his decision to fire him in the morning. I can buy the former to a point, but don't think the latter is totally truthful.

Even considering his poor early performance (for him), the Jets are not getting rid of or benching Rodgers. He holds too much power within the organization and his contract status is all but prohibitive. He is not just a "worker." Hackett, who was rumored to be stripped of play calling, is Rodgers' guy and because Hackett still has a job, Rodgers perhaps convinced Johnson that he is not the problem. OTOH, It's curious why Hackett, with head coaching experience, was passed over in favor of one as green as the Jets' uniforms.

There was definitely a power struggle and my estimation is that Saleh was the easiest target.

Look at it this way. Right now? Mayo is in a very tenuous situation. `His game plan of easing Maye in is over and now the clock starts ticking on whether Maye is your franchise QB or not.

If Mayo did a better job, Brissett wouldn't have to be removed and Maye could have gotten seasoned a little longer on the sidelines. If Maye comes in, gets shelled by no OL protection and fails? Mayo is the guy that takes the fall. Period.
I don't think Mayo's job is on the line just yet. As I said in April, the Patriots are in "improve-now" (vs. the Jets in "win-now") mode. Brisette is a 31 year old vet with a known ceiling and has been far from perfect. He was/is a bridge. The Patriots still need a lot of pieces. If, however, they are still middling, with little improvement in 2026, we'll talk about Mayo's status.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I'm not saying that Saleh is above reproach. He came into the season with an 18-33 record, but he is not the reason the Jets sit where they do this season.
It isn’t just this season. The Athletic had an article after last season about how the Jets had a bad culture…and that Saleh was perceived as being paranoid. The Jets have consistently looked ill prepared and undisciplined.

Also…I still think the Reddick situation has something to do with this. I say this because in a presser about Saleh…Johnson took time to talk about and recruit Reddick to show up, I wonder if during the trade negotiations, Saleh had convinced Douglas and Johnson that he could get Reddick to show up. When that didn’t happen….and the season started poorly, Ambassador Woody pulled the trigger.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It isn’t just this season. The Athletic had an article after last season about how the Jets had a bad culture…and that Saleh was perceived as being paranoid. The Jets have consistently looked ill prepared and undisciplined.

Also…I still think the Reddick situation has something to do with this. I say this because in a presser about Saleh…Johnson took time to talk about and recruit Reddick to show up, I wonder if during the trade negotiations, Saleh had convinced Douglas and Johnson that he could get Reddick to show up. When that didn’t happen….and the season started poorly, Ambassador Woody pulled the trigger.

Fair and, being a longtime follower of the Washington franchise, I certainly understand poor culture. Unfortunately for Jets fans, poor culture is pervasive and does not begin or end with a coaching change. No 40 year old former MVP, recovering from a severe leg injury and possible (probable??) CTE can change it either.

My two favorite teams in terms of laundry are the Patriots (local) and Commanders (they were the R*dsk*ns and Burgundy and Gold was more appealing to a six year old than Aqua and Orange.). I don't believe it is a coincidence that the Patriots' fortunes turned around in 1993, nor that the Commanders overhauled their operations last year after the sale and are 4-1 with a dynamic young quarterback so far.

Incidentally, unless Saleh made a monster push for Reddick, shouldn't that issue fall on the GM's plate?

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Incidentally, unless Saleh made a monster push for Reddick, shouldn't that issue fall on the GM's plate?
Yes..normally it’s the GM…but this trade was unusual…i am still trying to figure out why they made the trade.

Reaction Score
I don't think Mayo's job is on the line just yet. As I said in April, the Patriots are in "improve-now" (vs. the Jets in "win-now") mode. Brisette is a 31 year old vet with a known ceiling and has been far from perfect. He was/is a bridge. The Patriots still need a lot of pieces. If, however, they are still middling, with little improvement in 2026, we'll talk about Mayo's status.
Oh, I don't think his job is nearly to that point. But this decision could make or break a young QB (at least in NE, see Darnold) if he can't develop, gets sacked repeatedly and makes no progress reading defenses because he's running for his life.

And, if that were to happen, it's Mayo's fault for having no real choice but to put him in right now. Even though Mayo is a "defensive guy" and the defense is pretty good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom