The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread

Reaction Score
For Pats fans, it was the Dolphins in the 70's and then the 80s. Didn't hate the Jets until Parcells went there, you tried to hire Bill, did hire Mangini etc. That drove the bad blood. Everyone hates Eagles fans.
Tried to hire Bill?

He was a Jets EMPLOYEE under contract. Parcells arranged Belichick succeeding him with Jets management. Of everyone involved, the Jets has the least to do with how that was arranged and played out.

And if you think Mangini drove bad blood in his short 3 year stint there, that's nothing compared to how Belichick started the relationship resigning at the press conference announcing him as Jets head coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tried to hire Bill?

He was a Jets EMPLOYEE under contract. Parcells arranged Belichick succeeding him with Jets management. Of everyone involved, the Jets has the least to do with how that was arranged and played out.

And if you think Mangini drove bad blood in his short 3 year stint there, that's nothing compared to how Belichick started the relationship resigning at the press conference announcing him as Jets head coach.
It's a lot more complicated than that. Timeline: Belichick and Parcells
The Pats tried to hire Belichick when he was an assistant and Parcells retired to block it out of spite (later went to the Cowboys). Parcells also pulled a Randy Edsall on the Patriots.

No matter which lens you use, it drove bad blood between the teams that I don't think was so intense before.

Reaction Score
It's a lot more complicated than that. Timeline: Belichick and Parcells
The Pats tried to hire Belichick when he was an assistant and Parcells retired to block it out of spite (later went to the Cowboys). Parcells also pulled a Randy Edsall on the Patriots.

No matter which lens you use, it drove bad blood between the teams that I don't think was so intense before.
Your original post made it seem the Jets brought the bad blood on themselves and that couldn't be farther from the truth. You're Darth Vader. Just accept it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Your original post made it seem the Jets brought the bad blood on themselves and that couldn't be farther from the truth. You're Darth Vader. Just accept it.
Ha. Read that timeline. Lots of Darth Vader on the Jets side.

Reaction Score
Ha. Read that timeline. Lots of Darth Vader on the Jets side.
I read it. What did the Jets do to incite bad blood prior to Belichick screwing them over in January of 2000?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I read it. What did the Jets do to incite bad blood prior to Belichick screwing them over in January of 2000?
The $3.3 Million poison pill in the Curtis Martin RFA offer in 1998 comes to mind.

Tried to hire Bill?

Belichick didn't want to be told where he could go. If Parcells arranged with the team for Belichick to succeed him, it's another way of saying collusion, to which the Jets were certainly a party.

Also, Belichick was concerned about the Jets ownership situation at the time and he saw New England as a place where he could have more control over his staff and player personnel.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The $3.3 Million poison pill in the Curtis Martin RFA offer in 1998 comes to mind.

Belichick didn't want to be told where he could go. If Parcells arranged with the team for Belichick to succeed him, it's another way of saying collusion, to which the Jets were certainly a party.

Also, Belichick was concerned about the Jets ownership situation at the time and he saw New England as a place where he could have more control over his staff and player personnel.
There’s nothing you’ve listed from that article that shows the Jets are at any fault for the bad blood.

Either he didn’t want to be told where to go or he liked the NE situation better. Neither situation is the Jets fault. Both are on BB.

Your apology is accepted.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Tampered with Parcells while he was coaching the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Then having Parcells retire suddenly to try to block Belichick going to New England.

Reaction Score
Tampered with Parcells while he was coaching the Patriots in the Super Bowl. Then having Parcells retire suddenly to try to block Belichick going to New England.
So funny. All those Super Bowls and division titles and records upon records and the Pats "Nation" is still insecure and can't admit any fault for anything.

Bill Belichick had it in his contract he'd succeed Parcells and literally quit on a cocktail napkin at his introductory presser. And they had to sue him to get back the $1m bonus they gave him for taking the Jets HC position. But hey, if the state of your franchise has you trying to make the Jets look bad on a Jets message board thread, you do you.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There’s nothing you’ve listed from that article that shows the Jets are at any fault for the bad blood.

Either he didn’t want to be told where to go or he liked the NE situation better. Neither situation is the Jets fault. Both are on BB.

Your apology is accepted.
Or both.

Not sure if anything I wrote is from that article, as I didn't read it. While no one knows for certain, what I wrote is not only what is commonly thought, it l's been documented in multiple articles as well as the 30 for 30 doc.

Parcells was supposed to go into the front office. Belichick wanted more autonomy, did not want Parcells looking over his shoulder, had concerns with both of the perspective new owners (Johnson or Dolan), and was not allowed to officially interview with New England. Contract or not, permission is typically rubber stamped when another team requests an interview for a higher job in the NFL. The Jets denied him that opportunity.

OTOH, I have little doubt that BB and NEP negotiated through back channels throughout the episode.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So…that stunk.

OL couldn’t protect at all. Hall seems to have regressed. Rodgers was ineffectve.

Gotta wonder about Hackett…I wouldn’t be surpised if Rodgers just ignores the play call going forward.

Reaction Score
I’m done with Saleh. We have had three C-/D performances and the overmatched Patriots game. To lose, at home to Bo Nix with -7 yds passing in the first half and 60 yds total? He just can’t coach. Can’t prep a team. Can’t adjust. They do nothing creative on either side of the ball. What a waste of the last three years.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I’m done with Saleh. We have had three C-/D performances and the overmatched Patriots game. To lose, at home to Bo Nix with -7 yds passing in the first half and 60 yds total? He just can’t coach. Can’t prep a team. Can’t adjust. They do nothing creative on either side of the ball. What a waste of the last three years.
Yeah….it feels like coaching is a big part of the problem. I like Ulbrich as DC….but why does Hackett seem incapable of adjusting within the game. I was hoping Rodgers would just change the plays to what he wants…and maybe he is…but man…they are vanilla.

And…the penalties…ridiculous…and that’s on coaching.

Reaction Score
I’ll tell you what. If Sam darnold and the Vikings defense kick their ass in London? It’s going to be a long flight home.

Reaction Score
Yeah….it feels like coaching is a big part of the problem. I like Ulbrich as DC….but why does Hackett seem incapable of adjusting within the game. I was hoping Rodgers would just change the plays to what he wants…and maybe he is…but man…they are vanilla.

And…the penalties…ridiculous…and that’s on coaching.
Agreed. Use Allen on the 1 yd line to punch it in. The guy is a beast. And what is wrong with G. Wilson? He looks lost out there. Need to get him involved in the offense.
This was a game they have to win if they want to make the playoffs. The only saving grace is that the league looks wide open right now.
And trading for an solid OL would be more worthwhile than for Davante Adams.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Oh good…cadence drama. Saleh seems to try to do everything he can to avoid controversy….but he steps in it anyway.

After watching a couple Rodgers passes last week fall to the ground because recievers didn’t know where he was throwing the ball…I welcome a trade for Adams.

It should be interesting this week…because the VIkings defense has been amazing…except for the second half last week. I would guess the Jets offense learned a lot looking at the tape of that game…then again…it’s Hackett..so who knows if he learned anything…lol.

The run defense needs to step up so they can get Darnold to force the passing game.

Oh…isn’t it great to see Darnold and Smith doing well after the Jets gave up on them. It’s just a matter of time before Zach WIlson is a star in the NFL.

But…I do think the Jets find a way to win this week. VIkings aren’t sneaking up on anyone anymore. And…i think last week’s disaster will fire up the team.

We shall see.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Barnwell’s thoughts on the issues with the Jets. Interesting to read his breakdown of Hackett’s scheme….and why Rodgers is struggling. I agree with him that Adams is the answer. Rodgers needs someone he trusts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom