The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread | The Boneyard

The Official 2024 NY Jets Thread

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This has been a bad offseason after a bad on-season.

In summary…

- The star quarterback…after saying the Jets need to stop with the BS…decided to start a fued with a talk show host.

- The Athletic published a report about team dysfuntion and their paranoid head coach

- Free Agent signing Mecole Hardman went on to the win the Super bowl (literally) and bad mouth the culture of the team.

- The owner of the team publicly declared that the GM and coaches need to win this year and that the team had no backup qb last year.

- #2 draft pick Zach WIlson (the 2023 backup qb) will either be released or traded for a day 3 draft pick.

- 2023 sack leader heads to free agency and will likely sign elsewhere due to a lack of cap room

- misc front office personnel and coaching staff have left the team for other organizations,

So…vibes are not good heading into this season. While I dislike Rodgers as a person…he does seem determined to prove that he still has some gas left in the tank. As long as Rodgers is healthy and playing, the team has a chance to make the playoffs. We will see if Douglas can finally build an offensive line, They need a lot there. they need a WR2. They need a backup qb.

It will be interesting to see if they can recruit quality FAs to this sinking ship. They still have a stellar defense and a core group of great young talent. If they can keep their ST intact…fix the Oline, get a quality WR and decent backup qb…they can actually be decent this year. That’s a lot to ask…but not impossible.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
my take on offseason changes,..

-obviously Zach WIlson gone. Overpay for a good backup like Brissett. You can’t trust Rodgers will play all season. This team can win with Brissett.
  • Let Huff go…I don’t trust players who have career years in contract years, I dont think is worth what he is asking. TIme for McDonald to show his draft pedigree,
  • To fix the OL..mix and match what they have with FAs.
  • Draft TE Bowers. The TE is underrated in football. And with Rodgers limited mobility the TE will be huge for him. Bowers is a playmaker.
-sign WR RIdley
-re-sign Zuerlein and Morstead

I would be happy if they changed the OC..but that won’t happen. Lets hope they tweak his role or Rodgers just calls all his own plays.

Reaction Score
Agree with everything here so far. I will add it’s a much much different vibe that I think helps. Last year they were overhyped heading in. Super Bowl contender talk. Hard Knocks.

This year I’ve seen QB rankings that have Rodgers ranked 16-17th. I hope we tap into that “nobody believed in us” energy.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Agree with everything here so far. I will add it’s a much much different vibe that I think helps. Last year they were overhyped heading in. Super Bowl contender talk. Hard Knocks.

This year I’ve seen QB rankings that have Rodgers ranked 16-17th. I hope we tap into that “nobody believed in us” energy.
what would you do in the draft? i actually wonder if they could trade down with somone who wants to jump up to grab a tier two qb. Bowers might be available a little farther down.

Consensus is they will draft an OL…which also makes sense. I just think they are all in this season and while drafting an OL is a smarter long term move. I am not so sure Douglas is looking past this season.

Reaction Score
what would you do in the draft? i actually wonder if they could trade down with somone who wants to jump up to grab a tier two qb. Bowers might be available a little farther down.

Consensus is they will draft an OL…which also makes sense. I just think they are all in this season and while drafting an OL is a smarter long term move. I am not so sure Douglas is looking past this season.
OL OL OL.

Get the next Mangold or Mawae for the next decade with Rodgers and beyond. I remember when Penae Sewell was on their radar and seeing him anchor Detroit’s line makes me wince.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
OL OL OL.

Get the next Mangold or Mawae for the next decade with Rodgers and beyond. I remember when Penae Sewell was on their radar and seeing him anchor Detroit’s line makes me wince.
thats probably the right move long term…let’s hope it’s not another Becton!

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Good start with re-signing Zuerlein…now sign Morstead.

I see Bakhtiari was released…while i am hesitant to bring in more of Rodger’s bros…and he is injury prone…if they can get hiim cheap it’s probably worth it.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score

while it would be great to keep him, i think with the Jets cap situation it’s ok if he moved on. Also..they have Jermaine Johnson and Mcdonald. It’s not a position of need. They need to spend money on the OL, WR and QB2.

Reaction Score
I don’t mind the Tyrod Taylor move. Right now my sights are set on Ridley. Jax made a ton of moves and I don’t think he’d demand too big a price?

Also I’d be shocked if they don’t bring in Bahktiari.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don’t mind the Tyrod Taylor move. Right now my sights are set on Ridley. Jax made a ton of moves and I don’t think he’d demand too big a price?

Also I’d be shocked if they don’t bring in Bahktiari.
i agree on Taylor…i worry about backing up a 40 yo coming off of an achilles injury with a 35yo oft injured backup. But…he is a good locker room guy…and competent when healthy. they need to draft a third qb.

i think Ridley is a good call…i had heard his price tag was too high in the beginning, but the longer he is out there…hopefully he is in Douglas’s range.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
i agree on Taylor…i worry about backing up a 40 yo coming off of an achilles injury with a 35yo oft injured backup. But…he is a good locker room guy…and competent when healthy. they need to draft a third qb.

i think Ridley is a good call…i had heard his price tag was too high in the beginning, but the longer he is out there…hopefully he is in Douglas’s range.
For both the Pats and Jets, if Ridley signs after 4 tomorrow Jax comp to Atlanta goes from a 2nd to a 3rd and 4th. So the fact that he’s still out there suggests he’s staying. Could be wrong but Jax is almost up against the cap, they can’t really outbid teams.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
For both the Pats and Jets, if Ridley signs after 4 tomorrow Jax comp to Atlanta goes from a 2nd to a 3rd and 4th. So the fact that he’s still out there suggests he’s staying. Could be wrong but Jax is almost up against the cap, they can’t really outbid teams.
yeah…i am reading he is a Jax lean…and the Pats second. Not sure how much the Jets are in the mix. IF i was him…i would think playing with Rodgers would be appealing.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
DIdn’t see that happening….Ridley to Titans.

So….what WR is left…Mike Williams was released today. The Jets had interest in him in the past.

I wonder if Rodgers flirting with his VP candidacy will hurt the Jets in recruiting FA WRs?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

So….what WR is left…Mike Williams was released today. The Jets had interest in him in the past.

I wonder if Rodgers flirting with his VP candidacy will hurt the Jets in recruiting FA WRs?
Hunter Refrow was released as well. You’d have to hope for a bounce back, he hasn’t been good for two years. Williams is arguably better than Ridley when healthy, but that’s almost never. I’m glad the Pats didn’t overpay wildly for Ridley like the Titans did. That deal was insane.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Jets fans to Rodgers

Reaction Score
Signing Tyron Smith and Mike Williams is promising. Smith is a hall of famer and if he can stay healthy he’ll be huge. I like Big Money Mike. Super talented and a good compliment to Wilson. He’s never realized his promise and is coming off an injury so there’s risk.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Signing Tyron Smith and Mike Williams is promising. Smith is a hall of famer and if he can stay healthy he’ll be huge. I like Big Money Mike. Super talented and a good compliment to Wilson. He’s never realized his promise and is coming off an injury so there’s risk.
What i like is that Douglas has made the draft much easier for the Jets. They can draft the best player that falls to them…whether it is a WR…OT or TE. I love the idea of drafting Bowers. As I said before..TE is underappreciated in the NFL. With ROdgers limited mobility, he will love having a pass catching TE as an outlet.

there was speculation that the Jets would trade up to draft Harrison Jr. at 5 if qbs go 1-4. That would probably cost them a 2025 #1. It would be amazing to have Harrison and WIlson…but those teams not picking Caleb WIlliams would be idiots to pass on Harrison for a risky qb pick.

Haven’t the NFL GMs learned anything from the 49ers. Lance and Purdy prove that you just don’t know what you are going to get in the draft with a qb. I would draft harrison over every qb except for Williams…and even then…i would think long and hard about Harrison going #1.

The Jets also need to find a good backup OT.

Reaction Score
Totally agree the absolute NEED for OL with the first pick is gone and we have some flexibility. Douglas definitely rebounded later in the FA season.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not happy about it as a Patriots fan, but I think the Jets had one of the best off-seasons so far. As I expected, the Bills and Dolphins both got worse. I expect the Jets to finish ahead of Miami and challenge Buffalo for the division.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Woody johnson says if they cant find a trade partner for zach wilson they will just keep him.

what do we think of that? Sauce Gardner tweeted that he still believes in zach. if they have to eat his salary…might as welll keep him. But Johnson did them no favors with the comments trashing Wilson a couple weeks ago..

Reaction Score
Woody johnson says if they cant find a trade partner for zach wilson they will just keep him.

what do we think of that? Sauce Gardner tweeted that he still believes in zach. if they have to eat his salary…might as welll keep him. But Johnson did them no favors with the comments trashing Wilson a couple weeks ago..
Keep him for what? Dress 3 QB's? Put him on the practice squad? Overpay him to not dress and be a non-medical DNP every week? I'd rather draft someone in the 3-4th rd and do that on the cheap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom