Maryland now is a "powerhouse" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maryland now is a "powerhouse"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Eric we will dimantle them. They wont know what hit them. Uconn is that much better and MD wont be the only team we do that too. Its going to happen to alot of teams over the next couple of years. Geno continues to set the bar at a higher level, that only he has been able to reach and break. If we get two good ball handleing guards and in 2/3 years two great post players this thing we call UConn WBB just may break alot more records. The only question is when will this program peak. I thought it might have when we broke the win streak. Now looking at our roster we may be on track to break that streak too.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm not familiar with the bad blood toward Maryland. Was there an event that led to the dislike of Maryland? Was there some sort of recruiting battle that got ugly?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
"On Monday, Dec. 3, the Terps will head north to take part in the Jimmy V Classic when they take on Connecticut. It will mark the first meeting between the two powerhouses. Game time will be announced at a later date."

LINK

mj-laughing.gif

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No, this is the end of the first half!!!!!!!
I thought it was when the UConn starting lineup was introduced. :D

Something like when Tina and Maya took the floor together: The opposing team thought "Uh-oh, we're going to get killed." And they did.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I think we'll win.

I think we'll win by a decent margin.

I think some of the comments are hilarious....but, if we continue the one-upmanship, we are in danger of not ridiculing MD, but ourselves.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I think some of the comments are hilarious....but, if we continue the one-upmanship, we are in danger of not ridiculing MD, but ourselves.
There is no viciousness behind the jokes. Unlike threads that mock other teams (like Tennessee), this thread is very lighthearted.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There is no viciousness behind the jokes. Unlike threads that mock other teams (like Tennessee), this thread is very lighthearted.

I agree. I just hope we can keep it that way.

Reaction Score
Can't judge a fan base by a few members - but -

when RU returned the Jimmy V game of a few years ago (we had beaten them at our house, the year Brenda was pregnant), a group of their fans sat in the courtside media seats next to our bench holding up signs about revenge and saying some really vile things, slurs on our player's names, etc. They were "chased" at game time to their real seats. Sadly, Maryland actually played defense and they beat us.
You don't see that kind of fan behavior too often at wcbb games, but Maryland does seem to have a national reputation for acting like idiots. These are students you're talking about, right?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
You don't see that kind of fan behavior too often at wcbb games, but Maryland does seem to have a national reputation for acting like idiots. These are students you're talking about, right?
Um, NO. Folks that advertised themselves as a "fan" club. We - the RU fans - were seated in the couple of rows behind the bench, I felt very sorry for our players, the comments - many personal - were quite nasty. And I couldn't figure out what the "revenge" and "payback" signs were for - Rutgers doesn't have a [since the mid-'90's] history with Maryland, sure we won the year before, but you need to take "revenge" and "payback" on an OOC team that beats you?

Incidently, pre-Brenda, we played Maryland when Chris Weller was still the coach, in Cole Fieldhouse, and the fans were very polite, showing us the plans and site for the new arena, etc.

And I agree that the vast majority of women's fans, especially adult ones, don't behave that way. But every fan base has them - I previously posted (IIRC) about the idiot from Cal at the Women's College World Series that kept running up to the edge of the stands, primarily abusing the umpire but also making a comment about a player that got injured "deserving" it. He survived one day, the second the ushers had the police eject him. And I made the mistake of attending the NIT semi-finals at MSG the year Rutgers Men made it, and way, way, way too much testosterone is a polite way to put it. Since I only attend women's sports (and football, well back in the stands) I was appalled at what fans from all teams were yelling.

Reaction Score
Elite 8s in the last 7 years
  • UConn 7
  • Stanford 6
  • Tennessee 5
  • Duke & Maryland 4
  • Baylor, LSU, & UNC 3
Not too shabby for the Terps.

Reaction Score
  • UConn 7
  • Stanford 6
  • Tennessee 5
  • Duke & Maryland 4
  • Baylor, LSU, & UNC 3

look at the Maryland roster the last 7 years, and an elite 8 is nothing to brag about

Jim

Reaction Score
"On Monday, Dec. 3, the Terps will head north to take part in the Jimmy V Classic when they take on Connecticut. It will mark the first meeting between the two powerhouses. Game time will be announced at a later date."
That date is not correct. The first meeting between two powerhouses will occur on Oct. 13 when the UConn starting five scrimmages against its own bench players.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
  • UConn 7
  • Stanford 6
  • Tennessee 5
  • Duke & Maryland 4
  • Baylor, LSU, & UNC 3

Not shabby, but not powerhouse-worthy either. Since winning the NC, they've been to three elite eights. Twice they did so as #1 seeds and failed to advance to the next round. Last year, they technically advanced to their seed, but looked shaky doing so (and then positively awful against ND).

In my view, to call UMD a powerhouse is an example of "good" being the enemy of "great". Brenda hopefully doesn't see it that way.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'd say there are really about three to four "powerhouses" in WCBB. UConn and Stanford, and rotate in Baylor, ND and possibly Duke any given year. Used to count Tennessee in there, but I'd say they are second tier with Maryland, Duke (most years), etc. I'd count a "powerhouse" as a team that you expect to be great year in year out, regardless of personnel. Baylor is great right now because they have Griner, ND was great for a few years, Maryland, etc. But to me, really only Stanford and UConn fit the bill in that definition.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'd say there are really about three to four "powerhouses" in WCBB. UConn and Stanford, and rotate in Baylor, ND and possibly Duke any given year. Used to count Tennessee in there, but I'd say they are second tier with Maryland, Duke (most years), etc. I'd count a "powerhouse" as a team that you expect to be great year in year out, regardless of personnel. Baylor is great right now because they have Griner, ND was great for a few years, Maryland, etc. But to me, really only Stanford and UConn fit the bill in that definition.
I think you are a little generous and harsh at the same time. If you are talking "long term" then you can't ditch Tennessee yet. After another 2 mediocre seasons (which I sort of expect), they will move into history like La Tech and ODU, but not yet. If you want Stanford then you probably have to have Duke. Stanford DID have some off years, their highs have been arguably higher than Duke's lately, and they were good before Duke was, but on balance, both powerhouses over a period of time. For now. Baylor and Notre Dame have potential to earn that consideration over the next few years, but they haven't shown the consistency yet. I agree is needed to earn a powerhouse designation for your program.

Reaction Score
It's all marketing. Gotta give Maryland fans something to be happy about. They took Edsall away from us. :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
  • UConn 7
  • Stanford 6
  • Tennessee 5
  • Duke & Maryland 4
  • Baylor, LSU, & UNC 3

Of those teams listed, how many failed to make the NCAA tournament in the last, oh, three years? Seems to me powerhouses should at least qualify for the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
It's all marketing. Gotta give Maryland fans something to be happy about. They took Edsall away from us. :cool:

after a 2-10 season, and 23 players transferring they would be happy to send Randy back

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What sets Uconn apart from every other team is their defense. Excluding UConn yes you can consider MD Duke and others as powerhouses. IMO you cant compare other teams to UConn as UConn is at a level and has maintained that level which other teams can only admire. Some posters comment on no defense by the two ACC powerhouses and that is true. Alot of run and gun and very little defense compared to UConn. However compared to other teams MD and Duke are very talented.

UConn is in a league of their own. They have distanced themselves from everybody else and their record proves it. Yes there is an occassional hick up like the StJohns game but for the most part UConn is the most feared team in WCBB. The reason being is UConn has the ability to blow you out to the point of complete humiliation and they dont let up. Thats in the back of every opponets head including their coaches. UConn can rip the heart out of any team with its never let up attitude The phase "well oiled machine" is an understatement when looking at how UConn operates its defense and offense. Yes there are other teams that can be considered powerhouses and this season Baylor is right there. However over past seasons UConn is the one team that seems to be there year after year. Other teams have been one year wonders. Some teams get a star player who can carry them for a few seasons. However UConn has over a number of years set the standard for all other teams to aspire to . This season will be no different. UConns suffacating defense, and ability to stay focused coupled with their disipline is something opposing teams stuggle with. This is a team that can lose only by beating themselves. This season the only game UConn will be tested will be the Baylor game in February. At this time our phenom freshman class if matured and should be able to handle the veteran Baylor team. Without a hick up UConn wins in a battle, a battle that WCBB hasnt seen in quite a few seasons.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
  • UConn 7
  • Stanford 6
  • Tennessee 5
  • Duke & Maryland 4
  • Baylor, LSU, & UNC 3

look at the Maryland roster the last 7 years, and an elite 8 is nothing to brag about

If you look at the 2006 Maryland team, it went 2-2 against Duke, with the final game being the overtime contest in the national title game. While the Terps were young, they were not deep outside of the starting five. They lost Kalika France (transfer) and Doron graduated in 2007. Duke beat the Terps twice in the 2006-2007 season.

In 2008, Maryland made the Elite Eight, but lost to Stanford (Candice Wiggins, Jayne Appel, Kayla Pedersen, Jeanette Pohlen). They then lost Laura Harper and Crystal Langhorne to graduation, but relied on Kristi Toliver and Marissa Coleman to make the Elite Eight the next year (2009), losing to Angel McCoughtry and Louisville.

Now, after some bad (by Maryland's standards) recruiting cycles, the Terps made the Elite Eight last year and are expected to be a top-five team. Based on the last seven years, with one national title and four Elite Eights, I would consider the Terps a powerhouse. To me, if you are a consistent Final Four contender, you are a powerhouse.

And, as used in this context (a press release from Maryland), of course the term "powerhouse" would be used to describe both programs, given Maryland's recent accomplishments.

But if you are holding a strict definition of powerhouse in 2012, arguably only UConn, Tennessee, and possibly Stanford and Baylor can make that claim (as of now).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Top 10 programs per Swish appeal

August 2010

I'm sure this was posted on our board when it came out. I find myself agreeing with Tony at this point. How do you define power house? Is it just the past 2-3 years? If that's the case, you'd have Baylor, UCONN, ND and aTm, Stanford and maybe Duke.

Go back the past 5 years... total final 4's:

UCONN 5
Stanford 5
Oklahoma 2
Notre Dame 2
Baylor 2
LSU, aTm, Louisville, Tennessee all have 1

so true powerhouses the past 5 years seem to indicate UCONN and Stanford. Who are the powerhouses in any given year? probably the 4 teams who make it to the final 4. Who will the powerhouse teams be this year? UCONN, Baylor and Duke IMHO. Who will they be next year? UCONN, Duke and then i'm not sure who else. My point is how far do you go back? Tennessee has been a perennial powerhouse but the past 4 years has completely fallen off the face of WCBB.

There's only 1 team that has had true staying power. UCONN is the ONLY team in WCBB to make the sweet 16 every single year since 1994. That's 18 consecutive years. I have no doubt that number reaches 22 over the next 4 years. Unprecedented. So who are the powerhouses? It depends the time frame you are asking about. But i do like Swish appeals top 10 list over the past 10 years.

Historically speaking you have to include La Tech, but i think over the past 10-15 years, it's been UCONN, Tennessee, and Stanford...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom