Maryland now is a "powerhouse" | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Maryland now is a "powerhouse"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How many final fours without Walz ? Their non- conference schedule has been weak at best, so they have over 20 easy games every year, their record vs ranked teams is nothing special. The pollsters look at the record, not the schedule. UNC was highly ranked most of last season, and didn't make the NCAA tournament.

They have played several NCAA tournament games at home, which is a big advantage. Then they get tough road games, and struggle like in the 31 point lose to Notre Dame.

Frese is clueless about fundamentals, 10 years of bad defense , and terrible ball handling. Frese has worn a microphone for several games, and all she ever says is "we need more energy"

Tiresome no , the truth

Good maybe, a great team AKA Powerhouse nope.
careful, your fangs are showing. and when we make the final four this year will you eat your words? or make up a new excuse for why they are successful? i love the stuff about walz in particular - common knowledge that HE was the coach? LV made one basket in the last 6 minutes of the NCAA game againt UMD last year. UMD coached by brenda played better defense than LV coached by waltz. what say you??

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Maryland in the Final Four?? Ha! That is brilliant.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
careful, your fangs are showing. and when we make the final four this year will you eat your words? or make up a new excuse for why they are successful? i love the stuff about walz in particular - common knowledge that HE was the coach? LV made one basket in the last 6 minutes of the NCAA game againt UMD last year. UMD coached by brenda played better defense than LV coached by waltz. what say you??

I say that even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion.

For the season:

Scoring defense - 153rd
FG% defense - 28th
3pt FG defense - 51st

Now, you want defense? Uconn held Louisville, at the Yum, to 25% shooting. Over the entire game, not just the last 6 minutes.

Maryland in the FF? Stranger things have happened. But don't hold your breath.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Maryland in the Final Four?? Ha! That is brilliant.
Not totally inconceivable if they can grab that final #1 seed (which a number of teams are in the running for at this point). If they ended up a 2, I don't see it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I say that even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion.

For the season:

Scoring defense - 153rd
FG% defense - 28th
3pt FG defense - 51st

Now, you want defense? Uconn held Louisville, at the Yum, to 25% shooting. Over the entire game, not just the last 6 minutes.

Maryland in the FF? Stranger things have happened. But don't hold your breath.

The bad news for MD is that despite respectable top 10-15% on FG % D and 3 PT D Md ends up 153 overall pts allowed. Something isn't working in the D.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The bad news for MD is that despite respectable top 10-15% on FG % D and 3 PT D Md ends up 153 overall pts allowed. Something isn't working in the D.
I'd be interested to see where they rank in terms of offensive rebounds allowed and FTs allowed. Maybe they did a good job forcing harder/contested shots but gave up too many second-chance points and fouled too frequently.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I saw them play a few times this season, and I wasn't super impressed. They were athletic and beat teams based on speed and size, but it was painfully obvious in the ND game that they were undisciplined and couldn't compete with a team that they couldn't overpower.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'd be interested to see where they rank in terms of offensive rebounds allowed and FTs allowed. Maybe they did a good job forcing harder/contested shots but gave up too many second-chance points and fouled too frequently.

I couldn't find where they ranked in offensive rebounds allowed, but they were second in rebounding margin and in the top 10 in least rebounds allowed per game.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I was being facetious earlier. Maryland could very well make the Final Four. Barring injury, etc, it's fairly obvious who the top two teams are this season, and the next tier (Stanford, Duke, ND, Maryland, Kentucky, TAMU...) are all going to be fighting for third and fourth.

Reaction Score

Why did athletic director Debbie Yow a former coach spend over $300,000. on new assistant coaches if she thought Frese was doing a great job coaching ? At one point Brenda's assistants were paid more than Gary William's assistant coaches.

I have seen UMD practice, the assistant coaches run practice, and Frese is rarely heard. It was obvious during 2006 Walz was coaching the team, he ran practice, and was the one directing the team during timeouts.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
How can the obvious #2 team in the ACC be considered a powerhouse when the #1 team isnt even considered to be a powerhouse ? :rolleyes:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Don't worry, Triad...no one here considers any ACC teams powerhouses. Or consensus number ones. :)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Don't worry, Triad...no one here considers any ACC teams powerhouses. Or consensus number ones. :)

tracy.gif

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
How can the obvious #2 team in the ACC be considered a powerhouse when the #1 team isnt even considered to be a powerhouse ? :rolleyes:
Of course it all depends on time frame, but if we consider the past 15 years, there have really been only 2 powerhouses IMO: UConn and Tennessee. But if I were to rank the top 4, it would probably contain Stanford and Duke. In the past 5 years, Baylor would be a powerhouse, and ND a serious contender.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Stanford has been to 5 consecutive final 4's. Safe to call them a powerhouse. LSU and UNC were powerhouses in 2004-2007 (LSU 4 final 4's and UNC 2). But if you are only going back the past 4 or so years, I'd say Baylor, UCONN, ND, Stanford, and that's pretty much it. I see Duke as being a powerhouse the next 2-3 years (as I think they were last year), but when you throw the term of "perennial powerhouse" out there, I agree, UCONN and Tennessee, but I think you need to add Stanford.

Since 1990, Stanford has won 2 NC's and been to the final 4 eleven times. Sure they had lean years from 1999-2007, but believe it or not, Tennessee has "only" been to 12 final 4's in the same time frame. If my math is correct, UCONN has been to 13. I'd say all 3 are powerhouses over the past 22 years...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to seeing how Stewart does against A. Thomas. They should be getting to know each other up close and personal for some substantial minutes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom