Maryland now is a "powerhouse" | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Maryland now is a "powerhouse"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
after a 2-10 season, and 23 players transferring they would be happy to send Randy back
They edged Mary last weekend, by a score of 7-6. They were scheduled to play William and Mary, but William didn't show up. Hence the Terp's victory. :D

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
They edged Mary last weekend, by a score of 7-6. They were scheduled to play William and Mary, but William didn't show up. Hence the Terp's victory. :D
UConn plays MD in football on September 15th at Rentschler Field. Could be ugly.

Reaction Score
UConn plays MD in football on September 15th at Rentschler Field. Could be ugly.
Ummm, Nan? The game is AT Byrd Stadium in College Park. You've been working too hard at this moderating business.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ummm, Nan? The game is AT Byrd Stadium in College Park. You've been working too hard at this moderating business.
Hunh, OK, game is in Maryland. Guess I was thinking of the other ACC game vs NC State at Rentschler.

Could still be an ugly game for Maryland. There are busloads of UConn fans headed to the game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Top 10 programs per Swish appeal

August 2010

I'm sure this was posted on our board when it came out. I find myself agreeing with Tony at this point. How do you define power house? Is it just the past 2-3 years? If that's the case, you'd have Baylor, UCONN, ND and aTm, Stanford and maybe Duke.

Go back the past 5 years... total final 4's:

UCONN 5
Stanford 5
Oklahoma 2
Notre Dame 2
Baylor 2
LSU, aTm, Louisville, Tennessee all have 1

so true powerhouses the past 5 years seem to indicate UCONN and Stanford. Who are the powerhouses in any given year? probably the 4 teams who make it to the final 4. Who will the powerhouse teams be this year? UCONN, Baylor and Duke IMHO. Who will they be next year? UCONN, Duke and then i'm not sure who else. My point is how far do you go back? Tennessee has been a perennial powerhouse but the past 4 years has completely fallen off the face of WCBB.

There's only 1 team that has had true staying power. UCONN is the ONLY team in WCBB to make the sweet 16 every single year since 1994. That's 18 consecutive years. I have no doubt that number reaches 22 over the next 4 years. Unprecedented. So who are the powerhouses? It depends the time frame you are asking about. But i do like Swish appeals top 10 list over the past 10 years.

Historically speaking you have to include La Tech, but i think over the past 10-15 years, it's been UCONN, Tennessee, and Stanford...

Over the past 15 years I would say UCONN, TN, Stanford, and Duke. TN and UCONN.... of course.. nothing needs to be said about them. Stanford and Duke... ;) 14 of the 15 years reaching at least the Sweet 16.... Elite 8's in 1998, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2012... final 4's in 2002 and 2003... and national championship games in 1999 and 2006. Probably seeded #1 more than any team outside of TN and UCONN in that time period..... and I would venture that the ACC has been a tougher conference than the Pac 10 during the same time period.

Im not sure I would say Duke is a powerhouse..... in my mind only TN and UCONN are powerhouse programs..... but Duke and Stanford have both been on the next level.... I would call them Elite Programs.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Im not sure I would say Duke is a powerhouse..... in my mind only TN and UCONN are powerhouse programs..... but Duke and Stanford have both been on the next level.... I would call them Elite Programs.
Might have to throw ND in the there, too. In looking at their record, in the McGraw period since 1987-88, the Irish have only three seasons with less than 20 wins (1991-92 [but won conf. tournament], 1992-93, 2005-06) and have 3 national championship game appearances in 12 years (with one NC).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Might have to throw ND in the there, too. In looking at their record, in the McGraw period since 1987-88, the Irish have only three seasons with less than 20 wins (1991-92 [but won conf. tournament], 1992-93, 2005-06) and have 3 national championship game appearances in 12 years (with one NC).

How many Big East titles have they had in that time period... regular season and tournament?

Reaction Score
How many Big East titles have they had in that time period... regular season and tournament?

I believe Notre Dame has only won one Big East regular season title which was last year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I believe Notre Dame has only won one Big East regular season title which was last year.
Shared the title in 2001. UConn was technically the road team in the Bird at the Buzzer game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Of course the ultimate goal is a National Championship.... and then a Final 4...... but regular season and conference tournament titles go into being a powerhouse or even an elite program. In that regards I would have them behind Stanford, Duke, UNC, and even Oklahoma... if the time period is the last 15 years.

But back to the premise of this thread.

Maryland a Powerhouse??

laughing-dogs.jpg

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
New Maryland team photo is out....

irt22-sm.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
ND joined the Big East for women's basketball in 1995 (for the 1995-96 season).

ND's conference record:
Conference tournament champions
1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994 (MCC)
Conference regular season champions
1985, 1986 (North Star)
1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995 (MCC)
2001, 2012 (Big East)

Reaction Score
If you look at the 2006 Maryland team, it went 2-2 against Duke, with the final game being the overtime contest in the national title game. While the Terps were young, they were not deep outside of the starting five. They lost Kalika France (transfer) and Doron graduated in 2007. Duke beat the Terps twice in the 2006-2007 season.

In 2008, Maryland made the Elite Eight, but lost to Stanford (Candice Wiggins, Jayne Appel, Kayla Pedersen, Jeanette Pohlen). They then lost Laura Harper and Crystal Langhorne to graduation, but relied on Kristi Toliver and Marissa Coleman to make the Elite Eight the next year (2009), losing to Angel McCoughtry and Louisville.

Now, after some bad (by Maryland's standards) recruiting cycles, the Terps made the Elite Eight last year and are expected to be a top-five team. Based on the last seven years, with one national title and four Elite Eights, I would consider the Terps a powerhouse. To me, if you are a consistent Final Four contender, you are a powerhouse.

And, as used in this context (a press release from Maryland), of course the term "powerhouse" would be used to describe both programs, given Maryland's recent accomplishments.

But if you are holding a strict definition of powerhouse in 2012, arguably only UConn, Tennessee, and possibly Stanford and Baylor can make that claim (as of now).

In 2006 Maryland had 5 players that went on to play pro, and they beat Duke when Duke choked free throws . Elite Eight is setting the bar pretty low when you have top 5 recruiting classes.

No one has ever accused Frese of being a good coach, it is common knowledge Walz did all the coaching when he was there. Then AD Debbie Yow gave Brenda the money hire two high priced assistants when Walz left.

Reaction Score
No one has ever accused Frese of being a good coach, it is common knowledge Walz did all the coaching when he was there. Then AD Debbie Yow gave Brenda the money hire two high priced assistants when Walz left.

I'm no Frese lover, but these denigrations are tiresome. I've heard them all before. First it was "she'll never succeed w/o Walz." Then it was "she wont get any good players now that her top recruiter (her sister) left." Etc etc. And yet, MD continues to be good. I wonder how that happens.

Reaction Score
I'm no Frese lover, but these denigrations are tiresome. I've heard them all before. First it was "she'll never succeed w/o Walz." Then it was "she wont get any good players now that her top recruiter (her sister) left." Etc etc. And yet, MD continues to be good. I wonder how that happens.

How many final fours without Walz ? Their non- conference schedule has been weak at best, so they have over 20 easy games every year, their record vs ranked teams is nothing special. The pollsters look at the record, not the schedule. UNC was highly ranked most of last season, and didn't make the NCAA tournament.

They have played several NCAA tournament games at home, which is a big advantage. Then they get tough road games, and struggle like in the 31 point lose to Notre Dame.

Frese is clueless about fundamentals, 10 years of bad defense , and terrible ball handling. Frese has worn a microphone for several games, and all she ever says is "we need more energy"

Tiresome no , the truth

Good maybe, a great team AKA Powerhouse nope.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
In 2006 Maryland had 5 players that went on to play pro, and they beat Duke when Duke choked free throws . Elite Eight is setting the bar pretty low when you have top 5 recruiting classes.

They did not have top five recruiting classes every year. There were down years between 2005 and 2010.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geez, who invited serious conversation into a lighthearted thread?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geez, who invited serious conversation into a lighthearted thread?
Not me. I don't take anything serious on here. :rolleyes: (including MD's powerhouse status :D)

Reaction Score
ND joined the Big East for women's basketball in 1995 (for the 1995-96 season).

ND's conference record:

Conference tournament champions
1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994 (MCC)
Conference regular season champions
1985, 1986 (North Star)
1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995 (MCC)
2001, 2012 (Big East)

I'm not calling them a powerhouse, but how many times has ND finished in the top 2 of the BE or runner up in the BET? Without the advantage/disadvantage of playing in a conference with UConn they very well would match and surpass any of the other teams mentioned when factoring in regular season and conference tourney champs. Put Duke, Stanford, UNC, and Oklahoma in the Big East and they would have none...possibly a combined one or two titles. Four different conference teams that are good enough to have been in a national title game can skew conference success and standings.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm not calling them a powerhouse, but how many times has ND finished in the top 2 of the BE or runner up in the BET?

Your point is well taken. Most schools would be behind UConn.

But you're asking the question as if it's a lot without supplying an answer.

So, how many times have they finished in the top 2 in the BE or runner up in the BET?

Reaction Score
Your point is well taken. Most schools would be behind UConn.

But you're asking the question as if it's a lot without supplying an answer.

So, how many times have they finished in the top 2 in the BE or runner up in the BET?

ND archives are very organized and detailed, but from what I can tell:
96-97 Runner Up in both BE and BET, F4
97-98 Runner Up BET, E8
98-99 BET runner up
99-00 BET Semi, S16
00-01 Tie 1st BE, Runner Up BET, National Champion
01-00 4 S16, a couple BET semi losses against UConn, not sure of the regular season standings. Don't recall them getting better than 3rd in that time period. Closer to 5th in that span.

00-11 Tie for 2nd BE, BET runner up, National Runner up
11-12 BE regular season champ, BET runner-up, National runner up.

Looks like if UConn was the brick wall that they are that would be at least 11 regular season or tourney championships. Who knows if they didn't play UConn in the BET semis.

There is about 9 years in between that ND only got 4 S16 about every other year that keeps them from being considered "elite" or "powerhouse" in my mind. They not only had UConn in those years they had Rutgers and Louisville when they were national championship game caliber. The rest of their history shows 2nd fiddle to UConn except on a few occasions. If the criteria that was suggested by another poster is used and you factor in conference regular season and tourney results to determine if a team is a "powerhouse" ND and the rest of the conference has a built in handicap because they have to go through UConn. Take UConn out of the equation and the numbers match up to the accomplishments of the other teams that were being suggested. Again, if any of those teams played in the BE and they had to go through UConn they wouldn't by in large have those titles.

Reaction Score
With 10 pages of posts, one thing we can say is this thread on whether or not Maryland is a powerhouse is, in itself, a powerhouse.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Come on! If we get to 100 replies I may get another point!

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What does this mean? (Yes, doing my part even if it is not on topic at all!)
Trophy Points! You and I and everybody on the BY has 590 Trophy Points. I'm shooting for 591!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom