Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 756 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t want the AAC. It just cant compete there and no one wants to watch those teams play football. They have three acc opponents on schedule and an SEC opponent this year, for example. That, and some low FBS non-conf games is more attractive.

The money doesn’t help UConn much, though it certainly helps .

LOL, we can't compete in the AAC but we should be happy about the scheduling of three ACC opponents and an SEC powerhouse?

It would be beyond idiotic for UConn to turn down a football only AAC invite. (not that one is coming) An AAC conference schedule plus 4 quality non -conference games would be a huge improvement to our schedule.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t want the AAC. It just cant compete there and no one wants to watch those teams play football. They have three acc opponents on schedule and an SEC opponent this year, for example. That, and some low FBS non-conf games is more attractive.

The money doesn’t help UConn much, though it certainly helps .
regardless of the conference - I am not thrilled with the idea of playing ECU either - we are losing scheduling opponents and flexibility and are growing increasingly isolated. UMass and UConn being the only two independents (not counting ND) is not good for the program, period.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't love losing other independents, but I don't think it is the end of the world either. I don't think conferences will stick with 9 conference games because it will hurt them in playoff selection and in scheduling flexibility.

That said, our best hope is football splitting off from other conference alignments.

Reaction Score
I don't love losing other independents, but I don't think it is the end of the world either. I don't think conferences will stick with 9 conference games because it will hurt them in playoff selection and in scheduling flexibility.

That said, our best hope is football splitting off from other conference alignments.

The idea is the Television networks paying the big money might start demanding more conference games or more games against P4 opponents. It's also long overdue that the annual game against an FCS opponent gets eliminated due to poor ratings or at least the desire to increase ratings.

We literally are relying on the good will of other schools to schedule us and keep our football team afloat. Hopefully Army doesn't remove us from their schedule next year if they land an AAC invite, i'm sure the lobbying has already started.

At this point we should probably take a MAC football only offer if we get one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ugh. the walls are closing in
They already closed with the latest ACC move. There's nothing to worry about anymore because it's all over anyway. Just enjoy FBS football while it lasts.

Reaction Score
AAC has abandoned divisions, along with ACC PAC MTN

Only BiG MAC SEC SUN still have divisions. I think BiG will be dumping them next year as well.

At least for football and maybe basketball (hockey will remain one group they don't have enough programs). The Olympic sports will be divided by divisions/pods to better manage travel time and costs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t want the AAC. It just cant compete there and no one wants to watch those teams play football.
Yeah, I kind of hate this myth. Connecticut's issue winning in the AAC was predominantly based upon poor coaching hires. Also keep in mind that the American is now even more dramatically water down. All that said, I could not agree with the second half of your second sentence. Our fans absolutely have no interest in watching us play against any of the remaining teams.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I kind of hate this myth. Connecticut's issue winning in the AAC was predominantly based upon poor coaching hires. Also keep in mind that the American is now even more dramatically water down. All that said, I could not agree with the second half of your second sentence. Our fans absolutely have no interest in watching us play against any of the remaining teams.

Yep. Fans of UConn and USF really deserve a break when they complain about playing a no name schedule. We were in a BCS league. We aren't crying over spilled milk. Our programs got crushed.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I do think the B1G and Big 12 will stay at 9 conference games but everyone else will stay at 8. There will be plenty of opportunities.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I will say it again and again. We need to try to schedule six P5 home and home series and avoid if at all possible MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt teams. It is difficult but not impossible. We already play four P5 teams a year. We can squeeze in two more.

Our schedules for 2024-2028 are coming along, but for 2029 forward, they need to look something like this:

1. @ NC State
2. Duke
3. Syracuse
4. @ Virginia
5. Indiana
6. USF
7. @ Temple
8. @ Wyoming
9. Rice
10. UMass
11. @ BC
12. Holy Cross

It is doable. The first five weeks of the season are when P5 schools will schedule us and we can get BC to play us during their rivalry week.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Cal/SMU/Stanford - perhaps the very last tickets punched under the old cable world.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Cable making a stand. Needs more "value" in this value proposition.

Reaction Score
Cable making a stand. Needs more "value" in this value proposition.

Neither of these companies are innocent but I don't see how charter wins this one unless they decide they don't want to carry sports anymore. I'm giving it another week and then I'll just be cancelling cable again and going back to YTTV. They just got me back by offering a crazy deal (that I'm sure many others got too) and now they're going to shed subscribers

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Neither of these companies are innocent but I don't see how charter wins this one unless they decide they don't want to carry sports anymore. I'm giving it another week and then I'll just be cancelling cable again and going back to YTTV. They just got me back by offering a crazy deal (that I'm sure many others got too) and now they're going to shed subscribers
If you don't care about baseball, it seems YouTube TV is the way to go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I can assume Charter has reduced fees charged to customers by the full amount Charter charges customers for the ABC/ESPN family of channels, correct? I kid of course.

Reaction Score
If you don't care about baseball, it seems YouTube TV is the way to go.
Yeah I'm basically done with baseball since Manfred is ruining the sport so I won't miss YES that much. YTTV is perfect for UConn sports at the moment. FS1/2 and CBSSN all in the base package

Reaction Score
I can assume Charter has reduced fees charged to customers by the full amount Charter charges customers for the ABC/ESPN family of channels, correct? I kid of course.
The worst part is I added on the sports package 2 days before this happened so I could get ESPN2/U and CBSSN for football season. I'm going to try and get that money back as a credit at least.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm basically done with baseball since Manfred is ruining the sport so I won't miss YES that much. YTTV is perfect for UConn sports at the moment. FS1/2 and CBSSN all in the base package
I went through the channel guide and realized that every UConn basketball game and all non-streaming football games are on YTTV. It also has every non-Thursday NFL game, and I have Paramount for an Italian soccer team I follow. There are still about 20-30 channels on YTTV I don't think many people watch but I bet they only account for about $5 a month in total.

Reaction Score
Yep. Fans of UConn and USF really deserve a break when they complain about playing a no name schedule. We were in a BCS league. We aren't crying over spilled milk. Our programs got crushed.
100 percent this. Only thing more damaging to a program is something like SMU's death penalty.

Reaction Score
70% to 80% of the cable bundle customers don't watch ESPN so why should they subsidize sports? Last weekend, I was able to watch the college football games on NBC/CBS/CBSSN/ABC/PAC12N/FOX/FS1/BTN on Spectrum and only really couldn't watch the Duke/Clemson game. I could watch the ESPN+ games. Sports channels are the most costly on the bundle and the cable companies and most customers would prefer to purchase the channels individually.

The battle Charter is having is the same battle that the all of the cable providers have had or will have in the future.

Reaction Score
LOL, we can't compete in the AAC but we should be happy about the scheduling of three ACC opponents and an SEC powerhouse?

It would be beyond idiotic for UConn to turn down a football only AAC invite. (not that one is coming) An AAC conference schedule plus 4 quality non -conference games would be a huge improvement to our schedule.
UConn plays mid tier acc teams. AAC home schedule would suck.

Who in that conference, right now, outside of navy/temple would you look forward to playing wbry year? Maybe usf. Maybe .

The problem with aac is the football is erred quality with less hype/excitement. UConn generates far greater excitement with its schedule now than yearly games against east Carolina .

Reaction Score
I will say it again and again. We need to try to schedule six P5 home and home series and avoid if at all possible MAC, CUSA, or Sun Belt teams. It is difficult but not impossible. We already play four P5 teams a year. We can squeeze in two more.

Our schedules for 2024-2028 are coming along, but for 2029 forward, they need to look something like this:

1. @ NC State
2. Duke
3. Syracuse
4. @ Virginia
5. Indiana
6. USF
7. @ Temple
8. @ Wyoming
9. Rice
10. UMass
11. @ BC
12. Holy Cross

It is doable. The first five weeks of the season are when P5 schools will schedule us and we can get BC to play us during their rivalry week.

Sure, lets create a schedule that is so difficult that a good season is 4 wins. Lets tie that anchor around the program.

We need to play more G5 teams and those G5 games would be far more interesting if they were conference games.

Our fanbase is obviously in need of a serious reality check. BTW if only P4 games turn you on then go root for another team. You are a fake UConn football fan.

Here is reality, the Boneyard was dead the week leading up to the Michigan game last year and far more energized by our win versus FIU.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
70% to 80% of the cable bundle customers don't watch ESPN so why should they subsidize sports? Last weekend, I was able to watch the college football games on NBC/CBS/CBSSN/ABC/PAC12N/FOX/FS1/BTN on Spectrum and only really couldn't watch the Duke/Clemson game. I could watch the ESPN+ games. Sports channels are the most costly on the bundle and the cable companies and most customers would prefer to purchase the channels individually.

The battle Charter is having is the same battle that the all of the cable providers have had or will have in the future.
Charter is getting out of video business.

I read in SBJ they actually would prefer to exit video delivery and concentrate on internet.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Sure, lets create a schedule that is so difficult that a good season is 4 wins. Lets tie that anchor around the program.

We need to play more G5 teams and those G5 games would be far more interesting if they were conference games.

Our fanbase is obviously in need of a serious reality check.
Hunh- I can only think of three groups of stakeholders who wouldn't agree with you-

Recruits, coaches, and fans.

Yawner wins count for nothing. Can't get quality wins if you don't play the games. If we're not building to be able to consistently beat middlin' P-whatevers why are we bothering?

Reaction Score
Charter is getting out of video business.

I read in SBJ they actually would prefer to exit video delivery and concentrate on internet.
I have had go net speed and you tube tv, for what will be a year this month. The savings and combo can't be beat. No house phone was the sacrifice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom