Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Discussion in 'Conference Realignment Board' started by ZooCougar, Nov 20, 2012.

1. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

I think we need a thread that is a repository of key tweets.

2. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

3. nomar

nomar

Having just watched an election where the losing side sounded confident of winning right up to the end, Andy Katz sounds like a Louisville surrogate who is spouting talking points without any factual basis.

He doesn't even say he has a source. Maybe he caught a case of the vibrations from Peggy Noonan.

4. upstater

upstater

Oh, oh. Don't like the sound of that.

On the other hand, Katz has the narrative wrong. WV was always the first choice, and Louisville tried to nudge them out.

That has me feeling better.

5. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

6. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

Frank the Tank@frankthetank111
    This is very true RT @Mengus22 I still think it'll be UConn, but taking Notre Dame as a partial member was also a massive mindset change.

Frank the Tank@frankthetank111
    If ACC takes Louisville over UConn, that would indicate a massive mindset change in that conference. We'll see what happens.

Expand Collapse

7. junglehusky

junglehusky Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness

Good idea zoo. I will be checking in sporadically today (in theory it's still a working day) but will check this thread first... I assume we're following mostly the same media people but if I see something new I'll add it.

8. junglehusky

Not news, speculation, but:

9. junglehusky

10. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

If they wanted to make more people in the conference happy, it's not a bad idea.

11. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

FfldCntyFan and CL82 like this.
  12. HuskyfanDan

HuskyfanDan #BleedRed

the tweets that matter are the pac beat writer and the guy from norty cary writer fro some paper that said uconn was already the pick. forget what the names were but those tweets are out there some where.

13. brasssbonanzaa

brasssbonanzaa

The California guy is named Wilner, writes for the San Jose Mercury News. While he probably has sources, who knows how good they are, especially since it seems that there's been a tide change over the past 24 hours from strong UConn to neck and neck UConn and UL. Who knows if his information came before this tide change.

14. MattMang23

MattMang23 Contrarian

I had a key tweet today:

Louisville fan: @TheWildEagle38: Arguing between UConn and UofL for the ACC spot is so dumb it shouldn't even be a ? Yes they have good men's and women's bball but what else

My response: @mattmang23: @TheWildEagle38 start w/ 2x the market size, proximity to NYC & Boston and student body that wouldn't be rejected from CT community colleges

15. Jarhead_1775

Jarhead_1775

Here's a relevant tweet:

@jarhead_1775: @ you're completely full of Scalito.

16. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

UConn and LV have played football 7 times since Louisville joined the Big East. They have a 4-3 advantage over us.

Rationally, there is no overriding football advantage they have to override all the advantages we have. The "internet buzz" is merely people who can't understand that the fact that we didn't play big time football before 2000 is just not relevant to where the programs are going.

junglehusky likes this.
  17. ZooCougar

ZooCougar

@BrentAxeMedia: Solid Point---> RT @jbren The ACC question shouldn't be UConn or Louisville. It should be UConn, Louisville, and who else? Go to 16 now.

UconnFamily and Jimdish255 like this.
  18. upstater

upstater

If 5 years ago, you told me I would be reading a thread on the Boneyard titled "Key Tweets" I would be expecting prom.

Gampeltiles and Huskyforlife like this.
  19. IthacaMatt

IthacaMatt

Realistically, Louisville's location (proximity to most bowl games) means that their fans will travel in much greater numbers than either a UConn (or a Syracuse). That counts for something, too. I have felt that you guys are the logical choice.

Kind of surprised that Louisville is getting the play it's getting. I kind of think this is already a done deal for UConn, based on their quiet posture in the media right now. Those who have an invite keep quiet; those who don't campaign in the press.

20. junglehusky

This could be interpreted in a couple different ways if you read between the lines..
    UL fans will read that sentence, with the first part loud and the second part quiet. UConn fans will read the first part quiet and the second part loud:)

21. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

If you read the series of statements, and don't cherry pick one sentence out of it, there is only one way to read it.

22. The Funster

The Funster Purveyor of fine bullspit

I think the only play L'ville is getting is on Twitter and messgae boards. I think the ACC has pretty much decided on UConn already and UConn has already decided to accept.

Husky25 likes this.
  23. Husky25

Husky25 Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.

If there was any way that you could back that up with facts, I'd be so much happier. As it is, we (as fans) have to sit back, watch, and hope for a positive outcome.

24. LRock34

LRock34

The neck and neck stuff has not come from any credible sources. Sure Andy Katz said Louisville is a threat but Andy Katz also said the ACC should just take UConn and UL together.

25. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

Katz is just talking. He is allowed to do so, but he didn't claim he actually knew anything. Wilner was making a statement based on what sources that he believed told him.

26. uc1974

uc1974

ACC should take UConn, UL and UC because I suspect there will be further defections from the ACC in the future. This also forces the hand of the Big 12/SEC. Might as well get it all over with now.

27. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

How does the ACC taking 3 teams instead of one force anyone else's hand exactly? There are no teams that anyone else wants that aren't already locked up.

28. junglehusky

It might be a hard sell for either UConn or Louisville alone to get the 14th spot. But to tell school presidents to split the pie into smaller pieces for three okay football programs and no really big ones (not that any are available) is probably a much harder sell. But as Katz implied, at this point maybe stuff doesn't need to make sense any more.

29. uc1974

uc1974

Point taken, bl. I guess I assumed some secret desires on the part of the SEC/Big 12. Sorta like a hidden crush waiting for... Hell, I have a headache.

30. caw

caw

Does it though? Or at least, does it count for much? Serious question.

Let's say UL/UConn make a bowl. If UL fills the stands and UConn only fills half it's allotment, that's great for UL and all but does it mean much if the number of TV's watching at home is half that of UConn's (I don't know the exact numbers, but theoretically)? TV ad revenue could more than make up for any lost gate sales, I would think.

Of course you have a ton of other factors, but if TV is really running things, attendance doesn't really matter as long as the eyes are glued to the screens if they aren't at the park.

uconnell likes this.