Hurley: UConn between going young or still competing | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley: UConn between going young or still competing

Reaction Score
You're being too hard on the guy...who on the team was better on Wednesday? Jalen certainly hasn't lived up to expectations this year but until the 4 minute mark of the 2nd half, he was the only guy outside of Vital who showed anything. We would've lost by 20 if he didn't play; you can't say that about anyone else on the team.
He hasn't been the best player on the floor in any non cupcake game, that's just the reality.

Reaction Score
KW is also an athletic freak which doesn't translate to game situation. Again, I'm taking a wait and see with him...not sold yet.

I love these comments. Playing existing players was Pal's rationale to throw Edsall under the bus (again) by pointing out Hurley was playing with the players Ollie recruited. Now that Hurley is confirming the benefit of Edsall's strategy, Pal is backtracking. Pure gold right there!
Sid Wilson is a 4 star recruit who has been away from the game for a while. Kwintin is a kid who was given a scholarship off of a youtube video. Sid has shown flashes of what he can do but is a 19 year old trying to figure things out after being away from the game. Kwintin is a 24 year old who likes to make instagram dunk videos but really has no business being near a D1 program.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Sid Wilson is a 4 star recruit who has been away from the game for a while. Kwintin is a kid who was given a scholarship off of a youtube video. Sid has shown flashes of what he can do but is a 19 year old trying to figure things out after being away from the game. Kwintin is a 24 year old who likes to make instagram dunk videos but really has no business being near a D1 program.

I don’t buy “away from the game” as much as others. He was practicing as a rs. He didn’t tear an acl or gave Gilbert’s shoulder.

He’s a guy who is a wing type version of how people are talking about wahab in his thread.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
E
Even better than who or what? Majok?

Better dbpm than last year. A lot better. He’s been better on both ends.

And with win shares he’s already been as valuable as he was last year.

Yes he is limited. But he’s essentially a better Okwandu with potential to get into the orbit of an oriahki type. But that’s his ultimate upside level.

Reaction Score
Better dbpm than last year. A lot better. He’s been better on both ends.

And with win shares he’s already been as valuable as he was last year.

Yes he is limited. But he’s essentially a better Okwandu with potential to get into the orbit of an oriahki type. But that’s his ultimate upside level.
Carlton? You're talking about Josh Carlton?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don’t think he actually means it. He just needed to find a creative way to tell Jalen that he kinda sucks lol

Reaction Score
I think we have a different definition of the word “disaster”. Take him out of the rotation, then you’ll see what a disaster is, I can assure you that.

We’re already going young.

We took the ball out of Jalen’s hands and put it in Gilbert’s.

People can complain all they want about Jalen not playing well. He’s playing out of position, and he doesn’t know how to play out of position. You can’t suddenly expect him to be great at moving without the ball, when he never was.

And it’s bull. You beg the kid to stay, and then this..should have told him to go to a place where he could be successful if this is what you were going to do.

Reaction Score
We’re already going young.

We took the ball out of Jalen’s hands and put it in Gilbert’s.

People can complain all they want about Jalen not playing well. He’s playing out of position, and he doesn’t know how to play out of position. You can’t suddenly expect him to be great at moving without the ball, when he never was.

And it’s bull. You beg the kid to stay, and then this..should have told him to go to a place where he could be successful if this is what you were going to do.
I love this narrative that we begged Jalen to stay. His only other option would have been to forego his degree to go play in Europe or worse. Maybe he could have transferred, but he’s old for his grade so that wouldn’t have made sense for him either. He wasn’t going anywhere.

Reaction Score
Comparing Sid and KW is a bit of a stretch
The only comparison I made was to the 'athletic freak' comment about Sid - my point being that one can be an athletic freak but not ready for D1 basketball. Sid's line today just reaffirming my point. Not sold on him at all despite his recruiting rankings and his supposed athleticism

Reaction Score
I’m guessing Jalen has the same problem that Tony had...

For both it is 100% mental. Some people have been blessed with mountains of talent but just don't have the personality to be "the" guy. Nothing negative about them, it's just who they are.

Reaction Score
Some people probably won't like this but it's one of the things I love about Hurley, he's extremely candid and won't give you the politicians response.

He knows there is no getting through to Jalen and the frontcourt is a disaster. It's unfrotunate that outside of playing Alterique and Sid all of the minutes and giving Brendan Adams a much bigger roll there isn't all that much he can do for the future. I guess play Josh the whole game but we all know how that'll go.
This... Hurley realizes JA is not fixable and won’t step up. Too bad for both, really. He could have been a key in really turning the program, leaving a legacy, helping elevate the other players on the floor. Instead, JA likely leaves UConn as a non-storied player with no real NBA potential, absent a miracle transformation. Sad.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Who was better than him against USF?

Saying he's been a disaster is complete hyperbole.

It's relative. If BE had his stats, it would be beyond awesome. For US it is a big disappointment. Keep in mind turnovers and assists are stats too.

Reaction Score

I said I haven't seen him be the best player on the floor in any of our games against non cupcakes. You can make the argument he was "our" best player on the floor in that game (Vital played better IMO) but his stat line is deceiving, he didn't play winning basketball and hasn't all season.

Reaction Score

Sorry Rico but he had a very good 15 minutes to begin then he was a huge part of the demise for this team vs. USF with his lack of control and possession concern. He is supposed to be the or a leader and he's doesn't even flash the glimpse of one on either end with any consistency whatsoever. Not even saying anyone was "better" but when they lose to a team they should beat who really cares who played best? What you hope for is your senior leading scorer and leader to make the plays or help others do so to help win games, he hasn't come close to that vs a good team this year.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I said I haven't seen him be the best player on the floor in any of our games against non cupcakes. You can make the argument he was "our" best player on the floor in that game (Vital played better IMO) but his stat line is deceiving, he didn't play winning basketball and hasn't all season.

The whole team has sucked all year, singling out Jalen as being a disaster as you have is really odd.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sorry Rico but he had a very good 15 minutes to begin then he was a huge part of the demise for this team vs. USF with his lack of control and possession concern. He is supposed to be the or a leader and he's doesn't even flash the glimpse of one on either end with any consistency whatsoever. Not even saying anyone was "better" but when they lose to a team they should beat who really cares who played best? What you hope for is your senior leading scorer and leader to make the plays or help others do so to help win games, he hasn't come close to that vs a good team this year.

That's fine, I have no problem saying that, but some people on the board are making it seem like we'd be better off without him and I'm saying we would be godawful if he wasn't on the court.

Reaction Score
The whole team has sucked all year, singling out Jalen as being a disaster as you have is really odd.
It's not odd at all, many of our players aren't really good enough for this level and the ones that are good enough are coming off a long layoff from playing. Jalen was an old senior and was supposed to be the one thing we can count on. We haven't been able to count on him at all. Hurley thought he had the potential to win conference player of the year and be one of the best guards in the country. He's had a disaster of a senior year.

With the Cavs if Lebron never showed up in the clutch, turned it over like crazy. had bad body language, didn't show up for entire games you think everyone would be focused on how Dellavedova and Channing Frye are performing?

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
KING HURLEY! If this was Ollie saying this last season and with the current record he would have been chased out the building! This is Too funny.
These aren't his players idiot get out of the forum you clown.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Man people like this I can’t stand. We got beaten easily by USF with Jalen, scoring 25 and being outright out best player, and you wanna take him out of the lineup? Look, I understand he hasn’t been near the second coming of Kemba or Bazz or whoever that a lot of us expected, but this kid has been loyal to the program and single-handedly won us a lot of games. Take him out of the rotation and you know what we get? A whole lot more of Arkansas and Auburn games.
Yessir!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom