Hurley: UConn between going young or still competing | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley: UConn between going young or still competing

C

Chief00

As Chief said months ago and was criticized - the number 1 priority this season is recruiting. While maybe a little disappointed, Dan’s talent assessment of the current team has not changed much. I think he expected more from Jalen due to hoping he changed certain things.

Reaction Score
I’ll say it again. Not to pile on the poor guy but.... I never liked Carlton. No explosion, soft body, no hops, no heart, minimal b-ball iq, can play d. Below avg hands, all he has is a bit of soft finesse around the rim. That’s it. I don’t understand why we can never get just like a pure shooter like a GIffey(kinda) Brian Fair or a Rashad Anderson type. hell - I’ll take 1/3 of those guys talent. it seems like every team has one but us - why can’t we just go out to Iowa or Indiana and pluck some farmboy from the cornfields who Can’t play a lick of d but can hit an open shot coming off bench. Also , I find it hard to believe that Ollie could not recruit one Dirt dog nasty SOB down low- I don’t get it - how come everyone else has these players but us? it’s mystifying to me. The player doesn’t have to be super talented - just have a nose for the ball - kind like a bigger of a vital type down low thats scrappy - we can’t find one player in the country like that? come on!

Reaction Score
I meant “can’t “ play d. About Carlton. Lol

Reaction Score
new and improved(?) lineup:

gilbert
vital---b.adams
wilson-whaley
polley-diarra
carlton

trial by fire
Not start JA? He won’t like that bc it’ll kill his draft stock

Reaction Score
As Chief said months ago and was criticized - the number 1 priority this season is recruiting. While maybe a little disappointed, Dan’s talent assessment of the current team has not changed much. I think he expected more from Jalen due to hoping he changed certain things.

Don't worry, no one forgot you existed overnight.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
As to Hurley's quote I think we'll see an uptick in some guys minutes and vice versa but not wholesale changes. Take Whaley, he's stuck to the bench while Hurley is trying to win and now he's going to play 20 minutes a game? Not happening. BAdams and Sid will see increased minutes. Carlton will stay in games even when he's stinking it up. Whaley I guess will play a little more. I hope AG becomes the full time PG from here on out and have JA off the ball. As for Diarra he's 50/50 to play a game this year. I'm not counting on him.
Diarra is 50/50 whether he will play competitive basketball again. Reoccurring knee ligament issues is as bad as it gets.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Help me out.
How could Cobb play fewer minutes?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's 1 game into conference play. 1 game.

As for playing for the future, we have 1 freshman (B Adams) on the team and 1 red shirt freshman (Wilson) on the team. It's not like we have a 5 man freshman class that's going to be playing together for 4 years.

If Hurley wants to give Jalen a message he can tell him to his face, lmao at the idea that it's "going through the media" as if Jalen is sitting there with his morning coffee paging through the Hartford Courant and now will see this and get the message.

There is a lot of hoops left and the 2011 Big East, the 2019 AAC is not.

Keep improving and don't even let the thought of throwing in the towel get in these kids heads.

Reaction Score
Many do not want to admit seeing what they have seen so far this year, and still have stars in their eyes thinking Sweet Sixteen. It’s a fall back should it get ugly.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It's 1 game into conference play. 1 game.

As for playing for the future, we have 1 freshman (B Adams) on the team and 1 red shirt freshman (Wilson) on the team. It's not like we have a 5 man freshman class that's going to be playing together for 4 years.

If Hurley wants to give Jalen a message he can tell him to his face, lmao at the idea that it's "going through the media" as if Jalen is sitting there with his morning coffee paging through the Hartford Courant and now will see this and get the message.

There is a lot of hoops left and the 2011 Big East, the 2019 AAC is not.

Keep improving and don't even let the thought of throwing in the towel get in these kids heads.
naaaaaaaaaaaiiiillllllllllllldddd it! (opeepo musta been served some runny jello or sumptin. can't otherwise understand why folks so ornery on this board, attacking each other, and our dawg future too, all the time over nuthin…..)

Reaction Score
E
Carlton has gotten even better defensively.

But yes he still gets in too much foul trouble to be a difference maker.
Even better than who or what? Majok?

Reaction Score
I’ll say it again. Not to pile on the poor guy but.... I never liked Carlton. No explosion, soft body, no hops, no heart, minimal b-ball iq, can play d. Below avg hands, all he has is a bit of soft finesse around the rim. That’s it. I don’t understand why we can never get just like a pure shooter like a GIffey(kinda) Brian Fair or a Rashad Anderson type. hell - I’ll take 1/3 of those guys talent. it seems like every team has one but us - why can’t we just go out to Iowa or Indiana and pluck some farmboy from the cornfields who Can’t play a lick of d but can hit an open shot coming off bench. Also , I find it hard to believe that Ollie could not recruit one Dirt dog nasty SOB down low- I don’t get it - how come everyone else has these players but us? it’s mystifying to me. The player doesn’t have to be super talented - just have a nose for the ball - kind like a bigger of a vital type down low thats scrappy - we can’t find one player in the country like that? come on!

I disagree on low basketball IQ -- I think Carlton actually has decent basketball IQ, he just has no athleticism or mean streak and therefore plays soft.

The guy you're looking for is Diarra. KO just found the only one who has the knees of a 70-year-old at age 17.

On Hurley's comments: I love it. I have no idea if he's going to follow through on it, and I don't even have an opinion on whether that would be a good thing, but it's great that he's saying it. I said weeks ago that he needs to go from cheerleader/building the team up, to demanding excellence in terms of basketball IQ and toughness on the court, and he's calling them out on it.

Reaction Score
Clearly a message to Jalen. It wouldn’t shock me that he’s had a sit down with him prior to this quote to the media.

It’s not just the season we are talking here. It’s Jalen’s future. Hurley mentioned before the season started that Adams had it in him to be a great player. We have not seen it.

It’s on Jalen and Jalen only to save the season; and his future as a basketball player.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I haven't seen him be the best player on the floor in any of our games against the non cupcakes.

You're being too hard on the guy...who on the team was better on Wednesday? Jalen certainly hasn't lived up to expectations this year but until the 4 minute mark of the 2nd half, he was the only guy outside of Vital who showed anything. We would've lost by 20 if he didn't play; you can't say that about anyone else on the team.

Reaction Score
I think we have a different definition of the word “disaster”. Take him out of the rotation, then you’ll see what a disaster is, I can assure you that.

I think of Jalen a lot like Tony Robertson. A really good player, but never going to be "the" guy.

pj

Reaction Score
I think of Jalen a lot like Tony Robertson. A really good player, but never going to be "the" guy.

I remember watching Tony play Jason (Jay) Williams in high school, and wishing we could get Jason. But he was enamored of Duke. Tony was a decent recruit but he never developed the skills he needed to become a great player even at the college level.

Jalen has different weaknesses but the same problem, he didn't develop a well rounded game by broadening his skill set / developing new skills.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember watching Tony play Jason (Jay) Williams in high school, and wishing we could get Jason. But he was enamored of Duke. Tony was a decent recruit but he never developed the skills he needed to become a great player even at the college level.

Jalen is a different problem but same problem, he didn't develop a well rounded game by broadening his skill set / developing new skills.

I’m guessing Jalen has the same problem that Tony had...

Reaction Score
Someone is going to have to sell me on Sid. I've seen zero from him offensively and a couple of nice blocks but no rebounding on the defensive end. He is also apparently, allergic to the weight room..

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Someone is going to have to sell me on Sid. I've seen zero from him offensively and a couple of nice blocks but no rebounding on the defensive end. He is also apparently, allergic to the weight room..

The kid is a 19 year old athletic freak. The weight will come if you're really that worried about it. He has potential to show big jump for next season after more game action/practices under Hurley.

Reaction Score
The kid is a 19 year old athletic freak. The weight will come if you're really that worried about it. He has potential to show big jump for next season after more game action/practices under Hurley.
KW is also an athletic freak which doesn't translate to game situation. Again, I'm taking a wait and see with him...not sold yet.
Nothing to do w/ record. If he’s talking about sitting people and playing for the future he’s headed that way.
I love these comments. Playing existing players was Pal's rationale to throw Edsall under the bus (again) by pointing out Hurley was playing with the players Ollie recruited. Now that Hurley is confirming the benefit of Edsall's strategy, Pal is backtracking. Pure gold right there!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom