Hurley: UConn between going young or still competing | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hurley: UConn between going young or still competing

Reaction Score
This is just as false, and I hate that someone is making me say it.

I think what most are saying, and I tend to agree, is that Ollie left A LOT of the development to the kids to figure out on their own. Some could, most couldn’t. And here we are today...

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
I think what most are saying, and I tend to agree, is that Ollie left A LOT of the development to the kids to figure out on their own. Some could, most couldn’t. And here we are today...

giving Ollie all the credit would just be silly

Reaction Score
giving Ollie all the credit would just be silly

I was the biggest KO supporter, but everything went down hill rapidly after the chip. The kids, obviously, own their development too but KO ran the program. He is responsible for the absolute debacle that was the last few yrs.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

That's very reasonable, but the person I responded to explicitly said Ollie didn't do any development at all. I would also be very curious to examine the team's practices and individual workout plans from 2012-14 and then 2014-18 to see how Ollie's actual coaching/teaching behavior changed.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That's very reasonable, but the person I responded to explicitly said Ollie didn't do any development at all. I would also be very curious to examine the team's practices and individual workout plans from 2012-14 and then 2014-18 to see how Ollie's actual coaching/teaching behavior changed.

people forget we went to the round of 32 in 16. And were close to the bubble in 15.

Thats how bad the last 2 years (and now this year) were.

Because Id kill for 2016 even 2015 (boats senior year 20–15, 10–8 ) right now.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
I was the biggest KO supporter, but everything went down hill rapidly after the chip. The kids, obviously, own their development too but KO ran the program. He is responsible for the absolute debacle that was the last few yrs.
Right there with ya. I sadly threw out an "Olliewood" t-shirt the other day

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
people forget we went to the round of 32 in 16. And were close to the bubble in 15.

Thats how bad the last 2 years (and now this year) were.

Because Id kill for 2016 even 2015 (boats senior year) right now.

Winning record/postseason berth? 5-star FR starting at the three? Phil Nolan pulling down at least one charge per game? Sign me the heck up.

August_West

Reaction Score
Winning record/postseason berth? 5-star FR starting at the three? Phil Nolan pulling down at least one charge per game? Sign me the heck up.

Thats why when people say "we went downhill fast" after the 14, I scratch my head. That Boat team (after losing Giffey, Napier, Daniels etc...) had no business winning 20 and being 10-8. No, we had 2 decent seasons. A post champ rebuild where we still won 20, and an AAC tourney championship and round of 32 loss to a 1 seed.
Its revisionist history.

Reaction Score
Thats why when people say "we went downhill fast" after the 14, I scratch my head. That Boat team (after losing Giffey, Napier, Daniels etc...) had no business winning 20 and being 10-8. No, we had 2 decent seasons. A post champ rebuild where we still won 20, and an AAC tourney championship and round of 32 loss to a 1 seed.
Its revisionist history.

The ‘15 season was NIT and ONLY due to Boat. His performance that year was legendary, go back and watch some of those games. It was 1 v 5 on the offensive end almost every game.

‘16 was a 75ft heave from the bubble... who knows how that season would’ve ended but happy to enjoy the Rd of 32.

August_West

Reaction Score
The ‘15 season was NIT and ONLY due to Boat. His performance that year was legendary, go back and watch some of those games. It was 1 v 5 on the offensive end almost every game.

‘16 was a 75ft heave from the bubble... who knows how that season would’ve ended but happy to enjoy the Rd of 32.

Um yeah. Because we just lost the nucleus of our team.

We had a Freshman point forward.

20 wins with that squad was solid.

Reaction Score
His development efforts pre and post championship were worlds apart fwiw

Reaction Score
His development efforts pre and post championship were worlds apart fwiw

Who, KO? Isn’t that what I’ve been saying? Dropped off a cliff post championship.

Reaction Score
Um yeah. Because we just lost the nucleus of our team.

We had a Freshman point forward.

20 wins with that squad was solid.

Um yeah, you take Boat off that team and they, at max, win 15 games. Do you remember the game at Houston? There wasn’t a single guy on the roster other than Boat who could even get a shot off in crunch time.

Reaction Score
Ollie didn't develop a thing. Identical stats year after year for these guys, eye test too. Ollie just got lucky Napier was great.

Wrong Daniels had no role his freshman year with JC, Griffey was ok but became a really nice player his Jr year. Napier was a nice player his freshman year a pain in the butt his soph year and was really good his last 2 and Boat an impact player his last 2. Some JC in them no doubt but the final prints were drawn up by KO.

Then he sucked.

Reaction Score
Sid oozes potential. If we want to be good next year, he has to be a major part of that. If that means he needs to play more this year to work out the kinks, then so be it
Kid just needs minutes, reps and game maturity. Kid is a big time baller IMO. You can just see it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
With AG’s outside shooting, giving him some time off the ball might not be the worst thing for the offense either. Not a ton, but getting him more spot up opportunities can only help.

I said this the other day. Maybe let he and Jalen share the PG spot and SG spot off and on. And sure enough, against UCF we see Al hit three early threes, mostly off of passes from Jalen I believe.

It is simply the case that Al is the better shooting guard of the two.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ollie changed at some point.

Choose your favorite reason or combination of reasons but he was just different in 2013 than 2018.

A guy that did nothing but battle for decades essentially stopped battling.

What people used to laugh off as a mid-life crisis may have a much different cause.

Reaction Score
Its revisionist history.

Lol we were like preseason #15 in the country. We under performed.

August_West

Reaction Score
Lol we were like preseason #15 in the country. We under performed.

that was a way inflated ranking. Preseason rankings mean absloute jack crap .

We werent even in the top 60 in 2011.

But you want to put stock in them?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
that was a way inflated ranking. Preseason rankings mean absloute jack crap .

We werent even in the top 60 in 2011.

But you want to put stock in them?

Rankings are complete garbage across the board no idea why anyone even looks.

Interesting tidbit tho - preseason rankings correlate better to tournament results than in season rankings.

August_West

Reaction Score
Rankings are complete garbage across the board no idea why anyone even looks.

Interesting tidbit tho - preseason rankings correlate better to tournament results than in season rankings.

they are pretty reliable on at the very top. Its easy to know who will be at the VERY top of the list and have that be an indicator.

Once you get into double digits. Forget it. Crap shoot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom