ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 6 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Had a chance to laugh at them for their choosing SMU over UConn last night. But instead the football team decided to look like an A10 program against a very beatable Wolfpack squad.
That wolfpack squad is expected to be the 4th best team in the ACC.

Reaction Score
There is no such world, which means it's entirely personal. It's emotional rather than a rational business decision. Which is why I'm now on team Giant Meteor (metaphorically). Burn it all down.
ACC burned themselves down and college football will burn itself down when they move to 2 giant conferences.

Reaction Score
Screw realignment and let’s embrace independence will come with its challenges but pulling it off is doable. Need consistent effort from the state and AD to get sell outs last was great to see but now we need that consistency going forward.

Reaction Score
Had a chance to laugh at them for their choosing SMU over UConn last night. But instead the football team decided to look like an A10 program against a very beatable Wolfpack squad.
I dont know about this one, NC State is probably around the 35th best team in the country, losing by 10 to them is a very respectable effort, I have my raised my optimism for this season after the game. I think it is unreasonable to expect this team this year to be a top team

Reaction Score
This makes me want to puke maybe more than any other one of these. SMU is the least justifiable move I can imagine
They are getting ZERO cash for 7 years. Desperation :)

Reaction Score
So Bored GIF - So Bored Waiting GIFs

Reaction Score
As Bilas said 9 years ago - "The ACC didn't want them. UConn won a championship."

So I guess I know what the Huskies need to do within the next 2-3 years.

All I really care about is a great men's basketball team. Can they continue to do that in the current landscape? At some point won't the fiscal realities kick in and impede the program? That's my greatest worry with all this. Gonzaga has been doing it for a long time (put aside the fact that they haven't won an NCAA Tournament championship).

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As Bilas said 9 years ago - "The ACC didn't want them. UConn won a championship."

All I really care about is a great men's basketball team. Can they continue to do that in the current landscape? At some point won't the fiscal realities kick in and impede the program? That's my greatest worry with all this. Although Gonzaga has been doing it for a long time (put aside the fact that they haven't won an NCAA Tournament championship).

If you even care a lick about UConn sports downstream from men’s basketball, this round of realignment was the absolute worst case scenario. People like to whistle past the graveyard, but the spending deficit has been declared unsustainable and will continue to be reduced even as the cost of athletics goes up. You will see the effect in baseball, soccer, field hockey, etc., as staff budgets, travel budgets, recruiting budgets, etc., are all reduced.

If you’re just a fan of men’s basketball, it was merely very, very bad. You have to hope that the Big East can stay relevant outside of the power structure in college sports. That’s not a given - if you think the future is going to be kind to a conference with Seton Hall and Providence, I don’t know what you have been watching.

If you’re a UConn football fan…this has probably opened an eight to ten year window in which we’ll have to decide whether we can keep it going.

Reaction Score

All I really care about is a great men's basketball team. Can they continue to do that in the current landscape? At some point won't the fiscal realities kick in and impede the program? That's my greatest worry with all this. Gonzaga has been doing it for a long time (put aside the fact that they haven't won an NCAA Tournament championship).
Hoping for now at least that the elite BB players (1 & done types ) would not want to travel cross-country like is the case in many conferences when they can play in a major BB centric conference in major markets.

Reaction Score
If you even care a lick about UConn sports downstream from men’s basketball, this round of realignment was the absolute worst case scenario. People like to whistle past the graveyard, but the spending deficit has been declared unsustainable and will continue to be reduced even as the cost of athletics goes up. You will see the effect in baseball, soccer, field hockey, etc., as staff budgets, travel budgets, recruiting budgets, etc., are all reduced.

If you’re just a fan of men’s basketball, it was merely very, very bad. You have to hope that the Big East can stay relevant outside of the power structure in college sports. That’s not a given - if you think the future is going to be kind to a conference with Seton Hall and Providence, I don’t know what you have been watching.

If you’re a UConn football fan…this has probably opened an eight to ten year window in which we’ll have to decide whether we can keep it going.
You lose it whenever you start talking about the demise of UConn basketball.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I think the Big East will be fine for basketball. It looks like the Gavitt games are about to get extended so the Big 10 is not lifting their noses up at us. They see us as a basketball peer.

Reaction Score
Too bad this still wasn't true - UCONN could the justify and conference geographically

Did you know that Connecticut’s borders once extended to the Pacific Ocean?

It may be hard to believe, but a document from the mid-1600s granted Connecticut control over a huge swath of land from present-day Rhode Island all the way to the Pacific Coast. It goes without saying that this is no longer the case, but Mieum Media explores this interesting tidbit of oft-ignored New England history.

Reaction Score
What does it have to do with their academic profile?
Speak to athletes from Ivy League schools. Many of them pride themselves much more on their academic profile than their athletic profile because they understand that they will never be professional athletes. They play for the love of the sport and to complete their college experience. It’s hard enough to pursue your professional employment dreams traveling around the Northeast let alone from coast to coast.

Reaction Score
Speak to athletes from Ivy League schools. Many of them pride themselves much more on their academic profile than their athletic profile because they understand that they will never be professional athletes. They play for the love of the sport and to complete their college experience. It’s hard enough to pursue your professional dreams traveling around the Northeast let alone from coast to coast.

I'm thinking of how hard the athletes I lived with at the Ivy League school I attended would be laughing at your silly post.

I suspect the Stanford field hockey team will be just fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You lose it whenever you start talking about the demise of UConn basketball.
Depends on the timeframe. Short term, it's fine. Long term? Uknown. I admit I was looking at the Tyler Betsey thread and saw "Alabama and Cincinatti". What? Cincinatti? Well it's Big XII now, so.

A tale of my two programs, KU renovating AFH and spending $300m on a new football stadium. We're dead in the water at UConn. XL sucks, we can't fix it and we pay for it. Gampel needs upgrades but will anyone fund that? Short of a Phil Knight level sponsor or a 20x increase in the endowment, UConn is in some trouble here. Some small sports will be cut first. But cuts will come everywhere eventually.

Reaction Score
ND would be vehemently opposed to this.
Why the hell would ND care if one of their games counted as a conference game for their opponent? It doesn’t affect ND in the slightest.

Dude, you cannot see the forest for the trees. IF the ACC adds a 9th game it’ll be only because they can get a lot more money. And they sure as hell are not going to let the odd number of teams stop them from doing that.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking of how hard the athletes I lived with at the Ivy League school I attended would be laughing at your silly post.

I suspect the Stanford field hockey team will be just fine.
Based on some of your prior posts, we may have attended the same school. If we’re the same age, we may know the same people. If you’re willing to answer, did you play a sport at school and what field are you in?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Why the hell would ND care if one of their games counted as a conference game for their opponent? It doesn’t affect ND in the slightest.

Dude, you cannot see the forest for the trees. IF the ACC adds a 9th game it’ll be only because they can get a lot more money. And they sure as hell are not going to let the odd number of teams stop them from doing that.
ESPN is not paying them for a 9th game. You can't see the forest from the trees. ESPN has the ACC by the you know whats. It is the same reason why the SEC is not going to 9 games. ESPN hasn't agreed to pay them more for it. Also, FSU and Clemson do not want 9 conference games. That means every third year FSU will play ND, Florida AND 9 conference games. Not going to happen. Besides the fact that the math as I have already posted shows why you can't have an odd number of games. ND absolutely does not want to count as anyone's conference game whether it is a conference game for them or not. They don't want to be associated with conference anything in football other than non-conference contests.

Reaction Score
It’s time to find an alternative and stop hoping for acceptance into a conference. Let’s find a way, it can be done. Countless times we have defeated evil why stop now.

Reaction Score
So no, or very few, home games for these sports? That's the epitome of not being college sports.
This already exists a little in some Olympic sports — you’ll see NC go to Iowa for a (non conference) field hockey game, and then while they are there, they will play a neutral site game against Northwestern (for example).

You can’t do it for every game, but even a few games a year cuts out some travel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom