ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 7 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

Reaction Score
ESPN is not paying them for a 9th game.
do you have a reading comprehension problem?

I said “I do not think they will go to a 9th game, but IF they wanted to , the odd # of teams would not be an obstacle.”

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

I said “I do not think they will go to a 9th game, but IF they wanted to , the odd # of teams would not be an obstacle.”
Yes it would. ND is not going to count as a conference game for anybody, and therefore a team is not going to play 8 games while the rest play 9.

Reaction Score
Depends on the timeframe. Short term, it's fine. Long term? Uknown. I admit I was looking at the Tyler Betsey thread and saw "Alabama and Cincinatti". What? Cincinatti? Well it's Big XII now, so.

A tale of my two programs, KU renovating AFH and spending $300m on a new football stadium. We're dead in the water at UConn. XL sucks, we can't fix it and we pay for it. Gampel needs upgrades but will anyone fund that? Short of a Phil Knight level sponsor or a 20x increase in the endowment, UConn is in some trouble here. Some small sports will be cut first. But cuts will come everywhere eventually.
You think Betsey has interest in Cincinnati because they're going to the Big 12? Come on, it's insane to be worried about UConn's recruiting.

Good for Kansas. We have more national championships than them and they had a 100 year head start. I expect our lead to grow.

None of what's happening now is sustainable across the country. What you see now isn't going to look anything like what you see in the future.

Reaction Score
Depends on the timeframe. Short term, it's fine. Long term? Uknown. I admit I was looking at the Tyler Betsey thread and saw "Alabama and Cincinatti". What? Cincinatti? Well it's Big XII now, so.

A tale of my two programs, KU renovating AFH and spending $300m on a new football stadium. We're dead in the water at UConn. XL sucks, we can't fix it and we pay for it. Gampel needs upgrades but will anyone fund that? Short of a Phil Knight level sponsor or a 20x increase in the endowment, UConn is in some trouble here. Some small sports will be cut first. But cuts will come everywhere eventually.
Eh, the only point at which more-than-superficial cuts would be proposed to men's basketball is when the sport itself already looks nothing like it does now.

In other words, we're not going to be put in a position to cut something we actually care about.

Reaction Score

What am I missing here? ACC now has 17 football teams. If they have an 8 game schedule then each team plays everyone else 2x every 4 years. The ND games count as OOC. Clear as day.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
This is all a house of cards. This coast-to-coast realignment trend is not sustainable. These mega- conferences will not work in the long term because the actual consumers of the sports will not care about them and the actual colleges (and their students) will not commit to sustain them. More money, more money is nice... but college sports will either evolve into farm teams for the pros or return to true amateur athletes...

Reaction Score
Either the big fish in the ACC go to a power league, or they breakaway and form a reconstituted ACC once they are able to break the GOR. Either way they aren't aligning themselves with BC, SMU and Cal once they have the autonomy to make that choice themselves.

The remnants would then either need to decide to go forward together (with Cal Stanford and SMU) or form their own "new" league that makes more geographic sense, maybe we get in as a backfill there.

There's 0 chance this 18 team ACC negotiates a new media rights deal together past this expiration of the current deal. None.
This move was all about what happened to the PAC 12. They had no media deal and imploded.
The ACC needs 15 schools to keep their ESPN deal active. If Clemson, UNC, and FSU left, the deal would end now, not in 2036.
You add these 3 schools to hedge against the big boys leaving, and all the money along with them. In 10 years if they wanna leave, you backfill. This moves sucks, but it's the only move they had left to stay alive.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You lose it whenever you start talking about the demise of UConn basketball.

You can ignore reality if you’d like.

Talk to someone in the AD and see what they think. Or just read our annual report, any reporting on our athletic budget, anything our AD says on the topic of revenue, the senate budget report that basically declared the deficit unsustainable….

Or, don’t do any of that and just pretend things are cool.

Reaction Score
That wolfpack squad is expected to be the 4th best team in the ACC.

Honestly only one game right but that wasn’t a very good football team. But we will see. They play ND soon I will check the pulse on my thoughts then.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score

Talk to someone in the AD and see what they think. Or just read our annual report, any reporting on our athletic budget, anything our AD says on the topic of revenue, the senate budget report that basically declared the deficit unsustainable….

Other than starting a support group, what can fans do? We attend games, we bleed blue, we NIL, we donate.

Enjoy the sports you can, while it lasts. Be grateful you got to see multiple Championships. Hopefully we can leave the tournament and future fun seasons to our kids.

Reaction Score
We need to find a way, we need to stop acting like the powers that be are Germans in the 1930s and 40s were in a social media age in 2023 stop cowering in the face of evil and overcome this.

Reaction Score

Who would you like me to talk to? Noble? Benedict? D'Amelio?

How is this very, very bad for men's basketball? UConn is going to make cuts to men's basketball? UConn is going to get left out of the men's tournament? The entire Big East is going to get left out of the men's tournament?

Reaction Score
This is all a house of cards. This coast-to-coast realignment trend is not sustainable. These mega- conferences will not work in the long term because the actual consumers of the sports will not care about them and the actual colleges (and their students) will not commit to sustain them. More money, more money is nice... but college sports will either evolve into farm teams for the pros or return to true amateur athletes...

That house will come tumbling down once the courts recognize student athletes as employees of the schools for which they play / attend classes. At which point, you will see unionization and demands for shorter travel times to stop interfering with their studies.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Too bad this still wasn't true - UCONN could the justify and conference geographically

Did you know that Connecticut’s borders once extended to the Pacific Ocean?

It may be hard to believe, but a document from the mid-1600s granted Connecticut control over a huge swath of land from present-day Rhode Island all the way to the Pacific Coast. It goes without saying that this is no longer the case, but Mieum Media explores this interesting tidbit of oft-ignored New England history.

Connecticut Western Reserve! Case Western Reserve University in Ohio is named after the CT settlement in what is now Ohio.

Reaction Score
It’s odd to me that so many people seem to be blaming AD Dave in this. UConn has been getting the end of the stick in conference realignment over 10+ years now and multiple athletic directors. At what point do we admit that this is a structural UConn issue and not an incompetent AD issue?

Reaction Score
Russillo did a spot on realignment this week - mostly football related but a good listen. Covered a lot about short term gains but could damage college sports long term

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, now we know what kind of offer to expect if and when a P4 offer comes - no share of media revenue for a decade or so. Thanks SMU.

Funny thing is, SMU might still make more than they were in the AAC as they will immediately qualify for tournament revenue shares, which are currently estimated at $9M.

With BYU going to the B12, UConn is now the only team that's compiled a value of >$1 billion over the past 25 years to not be in a P5/4.

Reaction Score

Funny thing is, SMU might still make more than they were in the AAC as they will immediately qualify for tournament revenue shares, which are currently estimated at $9M.
So what you’re saying is that maybe SMU wasn’t insane to offer to take no money to start?
Imagine that.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
This is just depressing. Spin it any way you want, the Big East doesn’t pay the bills. I will now retreat into fantasy land where we’re bringing national championships to the B1G.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
ACC was already dead man walking, this just ensures it.
True, but this may make it far more amusing.

My gut tells me that the result of this will end up being similar to when Time Warner and AOL merged.

Add to this the fact that a number of members want to make a prison break but realize the futility, a larger number realize they have made it as far as they could ever make it (in terms of conference affiliation) and want the conference to survive as long as possible, a few believe that they could possibly become attractive to the P2 but realize there is a better chance they'll be in a tier two conference when everything shakes out and the newest additions may have been the most desperate schools to ever prostitute themselves into a conference, adding travel at an unimaginable level to boot.

Oh yeah, beyond that, every member would stab another in the back the second the opportunity arises.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
ND would be vehemently opposed to this.
ND already has a commitment to play a number of football games against ACC schools annually (I believe it is four, but could be five). All the ACC needs to do is deem one of those games count in the conference record for ND's opponent. It won't impact ND at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom