ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I'll let Google or Wikipedia do their thing, but I've heard of one professor from another AAC school who says it stands for "small mediocre university".

I'll add: without a baseball or softball team
It is a very rich small mediocre university….with a shady past too boot.

Reaction Score
The next conference to get cooked is the Big 12. A lot of smaller brands and IMO the clear #4 brand-wise in football among the four.
The one thing working in Big 12's favor is nobody wants those schools. ACC has schools both the Big 10 and ACC want. They'll find a way to get them well before that contract runs out. In the end there will be 2 power football conferences and everyone else though.

Reaction Score
The next conference to get cooked is the Big 12. A lot of smaller brands and IMO the clear #4 brand-wise in football among the four.

I don't think so. Maybe WVU since the B12 left them on an island. I suspect the B12's next move would eventually fill in the east coast area. This is when I think Uconn gets their invite.

Reaction Score
17*9 = 153. 153 is not divisible by 2. The ACC's options are an 8 or 10 game schedule, and a 10 game schedule is not going to fly with Florida State, Clemson, or Georgia Tech.

1) I dont think want a 9 game schedule.
2) But if they did, they will figure it out. Either one school plays 8 or 10 games each year, or they count one of the ND games as a conference game. It's really not a big deal. The idea that they couldnt have a 9-game sked is nonsense.

Reaction Score
I know we all hate BC because of the history, but I would not have a problem adding them to the BE if they get kicked out of the ACC. Calhoun would be seething…but it could make for a fairly significant rivalry. I mean while they were in BE and during the Calhoun era we usually won, but before that not only did they steal a couple of good CT high school players from us they usually beat us.

I can't believe I just read this in the Boneyard. Smh

Reaction Score
17*9 = 153. 153 is not divisible by 2. The ACC's options are an 8 or 10 game schedule, and a 10 game schedule is not going to fly with Florida State, Clemson, or Georgia Tech.
You're forgetting about the 5 ACC games Notre Dame gets every year. So it's 158 games not 153

Reaction Score
I know we all hate BC because of the history, but I would not have a problem adding them to the BE if they get kicked out of the ACC. Calhoun would be seething…but it could make for a fairly significant rivalry. I mean while they were in BE and during the Calhoun era we usually won, but before that not only did they steal a couple of good CT high school players from us they usually beat us.
UConn won like 25 straight against BC and that was back when BC had some relevance, they have none now. We already play DePaul.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You're forgetting about the 5 ACC games Notre Dame gets every year. So it's 158 games not 153
I wonder if the ACC would force ND to make that 7 games as they often play Cal and Stanford anyway.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
1) I dont think want a 9 game schedule.
2) But if they did, they will figure it out. Either one school plays 8 or 10 games each year, or they count one of the ND games as a conference game. It's really not a big deal. The idea that they couldnt have a 9-game sked is nonsense.
No conference in 2023 is going to have teams playing different number of conference games. You can't count the standings properly.

Reaction Score
NC State's what I heard. They only needed one.
After last night they feared UConn's rise to prominence may one day eclipse them if we were in the ACC, so to preserve their status as one of the top six football schools they decided to water the league down and keep UConn out...........

shizzle787

Reaction Score
This needs to be screamed from the mountain tops: no conference will have teams playing a different number of conference games. The ACC is not going to have 16 teams play 9 games and 1 team play 8 games. What happens when one team is 7-1 and the other is 8-1? Who goes to conference title game if they didn't play each other or the other contenders? It's not logical. Even the traditional 11-team Big 10 played 8 games for this reason.

Reaction Score
no. we let them rot

Reaction Score
Personally I'm excited at the prospect of adding Duke to the Big East when the ACC implodes

Reaction Score
We don't know how they plan to operate, but if they have two divisions of 9 teams (although that's tough if ND only plays 5 games) there would only be eight conference games for each school in each division.
But, if they want the schools to play all members at least once every 9 years, they could have them play one out of division game annually.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We don't know how they plan to operate, but if they have two divisions of 9 teams (although that's tough if ND only plays 5 games) there would only be eight conference games for each school in each division.
But, if they want the schools to play all members at least once every 9 years, they could have them play one out of division game annually.
B'casters last night were saying they've already decided to do away with divisions.

Reaction Score
The inclusion of SMU is just foul. I have spoken.
In what world is SMU a better option than UConn? Holy crap. This is nauseating.

I still blame Jeff Hathaway for all this. Imagine if they didn't hire Pasqualoni but instead got a competent coach. Would UConn football have continued their upward trajectory after Edsall left following the bowl game? If they did would UConn have been a much more attractive option for all these conferences?

Reaction Score
No conference in 2023 is going to have teams playing different number of conference games. You can't count the standings properly.
Hahahaha.

As I noted, they could just count 1 ND game a year.

If they want to go to 9 games, the odd number of teams will not stop them.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Hahahaha.

As I noted, they could just count 1 ND game a year.

If they want to go to 9 games, the odd number of teams will not stop them.
ND would be vehemently opposed to this.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
They’ve probably been assured that they’ll get some additional revenue on facility rentals ;)

That's insane. Half the teams travelling into Dallas will be doing so for a "home" game? If the Stanford softball team is American Airlines Platinum because they are travelling to Dallas for most of their games, what is the campus community benefit to having a softball team? In fact, if both teams are travelling 1/2 way across the country for the Virginia/Stanford double-header, how does it really reduce travel? Will it matter which is the home team? They can just take turns. The three fans in the stands won't mind.

Reaction Score
Had a chance to laugh at them for their choosing SMU over UConn last night. But instead the football team decided to look like an A10 program against a very beatable Wolfpack squad.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In what world is SMU a better option than UConn? Holy crap. This is nauseating.

I still blame Jeff Hathaway for all this. Imagine if they didn't hire Pasqualoni but instead got a competent coach. Would UConn football have continued their upward trajectory after Edsall left following the bowl game? If they did would UConn have been a much more attractive option for all these conferences?
There is no such world, which means it's entirely personal. It's emotional rather than a rational business decision. Which is why I'm now on team Giant Meteor (metaphorically). Burn it all down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom