ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ACC votes to add Stanford, Cal, SMU: Conference presidents approve expansion to 18 schools

Reaction Score
ACC is going to implode sooner rather than later, but they're a strong academic conference at the top.
Even more reason to not join the ACC for non-revenue sports. If the league implodes, you’ve accomplished very little.

Reaction Score
I love when @Fishy gets this way. Stanford successfully fields a lot of non-revenue sports. This is part of the great college experience which is Stanford. If you check a map, the ACC schools are a bit distant from Palo Alto. These student-athletes will need to travel far distances to engage in their athletic endeavors. This is probably not favorable for their academic profile. Understood?
Why do you care about Stanford so much?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I love when @Fishy gets this way. Stanford successfully fields a lot of non-revenue sports. This is part of the great college experience which is Stanford. If you check a map, the ACC schools are a bit distant from Palo Alto. These student-athletes will need to travel far distances to engage in their athletic endeavors. This is probably not favorable for their academic profile. Understood?

Lol…when does this guy realize that the Pac 12 went away? Stanford had no place to play these vaunted non-revenue sports.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I value elite academic institutions.
Great. So they now joined the conference that has more of them than any but the Ivy. Stanford, Cal, UVA, UNC, Duke, GT, Miami, BC, Wake. Did you want them to instead play with Utah State, Wyoming, SDSU, Fresno and Colorado State?

Reaction Score
Rice is an elite academic institution. What are your thoughts about them sharing a conference with Memphis, East Carolina and UAB?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Lol...this is insane.

Their conference imploded. You want them to do what? Sit there? Join the American? Stop playing sports?

That's what the national media has been urging UConn to do for the last decade with respect to football. Odd how that works.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
While not the end of the world, there is no way to put a good spin on this for UConn. The ACC looked at us, knows the value we add, and added three programs on the other side of the continent, 2 of which have never won anything of note in the last 50-60 years.

I don't think UConn should have taken a deal like SMU got, but as far as we know, it was never offered to UConn. I think the window to grab a big linear deal has closed for UConn, but UConn football needs a schedule, and everyone seems to hate us.

Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but can you explain how the 93%+/- of the student body that doesn't play a sport is harmed academically by the conference affiliation for non-academic competition?

Reaction Score
I can't wrap my head around most of this. Mainly I wonder what's in it for those that voted them in. I get that they are more financially secure at 15 members if a few walk away. BUT they have to carry SMU's dead ass into eternity now. Unless many leave for the B12. BUT how does that help those left behind?

I also wonder about vote shares here. Does SMU get a full vote? If so, they're not going to side with the people pushing for payout differentials.

Even better, if I'm SMU, receiving no money for 9 years, I'm going to vote with FSU and Clemson when it comes to dissolution of the league. Maybe SMU doesn't have a vote however. But if it did it would certainly want to get paid quicker, through a new media deal covering ALL members.

The only incentive here for ESPN is that this speeds up ACC dissolution, gets them out of this horrid contract that runs until 2036, and forces the conference to take a lesser payout. Meanwhile ESPN still owns 1/2 or more of the B12 contract so they'll still have the most valuable properties, they'll pay less for BC and Wake Forest.

Oddly, there's an in here for UConn if more than 3 members leave the ACC (and I do see that happening).

ESPN just agreed to pay for the ACC importing a bomb into the conference, because when that bomb goes off, ESPN will dissolve the contract and come out ahead.

But why did the ACC do this? This weakens them massively? They could've held onto the GOR and added new members once they got wind of the departures.

Reaction Score
I think this really hurts our football scheduling too. The ACC having uneven scheduling lead to a lot of our P5 home/home arrangements. Looking at this year and future years, 12 out of 18 of our home/home games are against the ACC. That will probably be going away.
Unless they are increasing the number of conference games, the ACC will have just as many non-conf games to fill as before.

Reaction Score
It is what it is. If nothing else, it means we can stop thinking about realignment now.
Nah, within days we will hear on this board of a new scheme that will mean UConn is going P5.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I can't wrap my head around most of this. Mainly I wonder what's in it for those that voted them in. I get that they are more financially secure at 15 members if a few walk away. BUT they have to carry SMU's dead ass into eternity now. Unless many leave for the B12. BUT how does that help those left behind?

I also wonder about vote shares here. Does SMU get a full vote? If so, they're not going to side with the people pushing for payout differentials.

Even better, if I'm SMU, receiving no money for 9 years, I'm going to vote with FSU and Clemson when it comes to dissolution of the league. Maybe SMU doesn't have a vote however. But if it did it would certainly want to get paid quicker, through a new media deal covering ALL members.

The only incentive here for ESPN is that this speeds up ACC dissolution, gets them out of this horrid contract that runs until 2036, and forces the conference to take a lesser payout. Meanwhile ESPN still owns 1/2 or more of the B12 contract so they'll still have the most valuable properties, they'll pay less for BC and Wake Forest.

Oddly, there's an in here for UConn if more than 3 members leave the ACC (and I do see that happening).

ESPN just agreed to pay for the ACC importing a bomb into the conference, because when they bomb goes off, ESPN will dissolve the contract and come out ahead.

But why did the ACC do this? This weakens them massively? They could've held onto the GOR and added new members once they got wind of the departures.

It's simply squeezing out a few more million a year for the next decade until the well runs dry. Nothing more than that.

Reaction Score
Unless they are increasing the number of conference games, the ACC will have just as many non-conf games to fill as before.
But that's exactly what is likely happening, they're at 14 (*15 w/ Notre Dame) now, and going to 17/18. That lends itself perfectly to moving the conference schedule from 8 to 9 games

Reaction Score
It's simply squeezing out a few more million a year for the next decade until the well runs dry. Nothing more than that.
They are stuck with these schools though after that decade. That would be my problem.

Reaction Score
There won't be an ACC in 8 years.

ACC hates us, it was never happening.
You don't think there will be a remnants of the ACC? I get that the top properties will all leave for the B12, B1G and SEC, but surely the B12 isn't going to add 14 new members.

Reaction Score
You don't think there will be a remnants of the ACC? I get that the top properties will all leave for the B12, B1G and SEC, but surely the B12 isn't going to add 14 new members.
There will be remnants of the ACC, but it's going to be teams nobody wants to be in a conference with and not viewed as a power conference

Reaction Score
Nah, within days we will hear on this board of a new scheme that will mean UConn is going P5.
There is no more P5.

That being said, the ACC has to add more members when schools depart. They could add Tulane, they could Memphis, they could add New Mexico. But they will try to add.

Reaction Score
There will be remnants of the ACC, but it's going to be teams nobody wants to be in a conference with and not viewed as a power conference
Well, UConn will want to be in that conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom