We need a point guard | Page 4 | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't conveniently leave out anything. I think our play in the Big East has been wildly disappointing. I thought we played outstanding basketball in the out of conference slate and I thought we looked like the best team in the country. Big East coaches gameplanned for us and we haven't responded well.

I think we have the most talent in the Big East and I think we have final 4 talent. All we can hope for is that they kick butt in both but I'm certainly not expecting it.
To me that’s a stretch without a real PG. With Cole on this roster I think we’re a top 5 team

Reaction Score
This is easily our most talented team since Hurley has been here.

Yes, anything less than third next season will be unacceptable if we don't have anything to show for his first 5 seasons.
You missed the point. It being his 5th, 6th, 7th, 30th season has nothing to do with anything. If we make the final 4 I promise you won’t care about a 5th place conference finish

Reaction Score
This is pure nonsense. This shouldn't be a down year. It's the most talented team in the Big East and the most talented team Hurley has had since he's been here.
When most teams lose that many starters, minutes, and points, they have down years. That's the point. We're NOT having a down year, and are quite likely to get the best NCAA tournament seed we've gotten in 12 years. Because of the talent Hurley has assembled and developed.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That’s an insane mark to hold pgs to. You named 3 all time great college pgs . We’re spoiled
Lol I named two guys who were late 2nd round picks. That’s too high of an expectation for us now?

I could run down the list of PGs in general and if the mark would get higher and higher. That’s what happens when they’re coached properly.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
It seems what half the boneyard needs to learn is:

Just because someone is put in the point guard position, that does not necessarily mean they are point guards
Yes, even if they are crowned as Point Guard (without a tight handle) in preseason thus shutting one's mind and laying it on the kid to play the script that you wrote.

Reaction Score
Lol I named two guys who were late 2nd round picks. That’s too high of an expectation for us now?

I could run down the list of PGs in general and if the mark would get higher and higher. That’s what happens when they’re coached properly.
Go ahead. I genuinely don’t care. The point is boat, price, and Kemba were great college pgs. And it had as much to do with physical ability as it did “coaching”. An RJ Cole with this group and we might be the #1 team in the country

Reaction Score
We have a good team that can beat anyone . Our defense has been much improved. No sense focusing on what ifs but rather let’s just improve what we have( which is pretty good!)

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Someone who can run the offense and get around the corner. Shouldn't be too much to ask.

You actually need 2 point guards, not just 1.

You can really see in the recruiting that it's not working. Diggins and Gaffney did not and could not do either of these things. It's gotta be a matter of priorities.
Agree. If you can't even drive in the lane and score how can you even be a guard? Because you're a good defender???? You have to be able to make some kind of shot for yourself. This kind of the thinking produces the Ferrari in the garage. What we witnessed today did not feel or look good and it is about fundamentals.

Reaction Score
This is pure nonsense. This shouldn't be a down year. It's the most talented team in the Big East and the most talented team Hurley has had since he's been here.
You’re speaking as if someone handed him these players. He reloaded the roster after losing 2 of its 3 best players. He’s a machine on the recurring trail.

I just don’t see the point in complaining so much when we’re 20-7 and a top 20 team. Enjoy the win. If we disappoint again in March we’ll all be complaining.

Reaction Score
We’re very good and very deep. Yes, it would be better if we had an alpha PG. Frankie Says Relax!

We haven’t been very good at all in the last 2. Not beating anyone of significance playing like that not sure why there’s such a celebration going on. Win is a win but seeing the same pattern of things which good coaches will prey upon is not good!

Reaction Score
When most teams lose that many starters, minutes, and points, they have down years. That's the point. We're NOT having a down year, and are quite likely to get the best NCAA tournament seed we've gotten in 12 years. Because of the talent Hurley has assembled and developed.
Oh cool, we're comparing our team to most teams in D1 now. A bunch of teams lose their starters and a bulk of their mintues/scoring/great players and do great. Three of them are playing on national tv right now.

The excuse making around here is tiresome. I seriously hope we go on a run this season or we'll see all the same excuses again next season when most of our scoring moves on and we'll be absolutely loaded with talent.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We don't have a true point guard; at least not one who could handle the responsibilities that a true point guard from one of our better teams could handle.

Where this is most concerning (at least in my opinion) is how it impacts our prospects in the tournament. We seem to have no problem letting our opponent dictate terms of the game. JC used to speak of "imposing our will" on the opponent. The floor general, the guy with the ball in his hands for most of the offense, the point guard is the head of the snake and the source of a team imposing its will. We don't have a guy who can help force the pace and style of the game to align with our strengths, which may allow a lesser team to once again send us home after one game.

Reaction Score
You missed the point. It being his 5th, 6th, 7th, 30th season has nothing to do with anything. If we make the final 4 I promise you won’t care about a 5th place conference finish
Of course if we make a final 4 the Hurley criticisms will go away. My guess is you'll continue making excuses if we flame out again.

Reaction Score
I find it confusing that here we are again saying “ We need a point guard” when in the past two weeks it did seem we had a point guard. There even was a thread for Newton and once again we had our PG. Now he has had two subpar games in a row and once again we are saying we need a pg? Credit was given to Hurley for having the “talk” with Newton that turned him around. Does Hurley need to have that “talk” again? I say there is something dark and sinister going on here. Maybe there should be a thread on “Do we have a point guard or not?” and merge all these PG threads together. I conclude there is something dark and sinister about this board, that being new here, I have only recently come to realize. It is just a hypothesis and probably nothing, but I need to learn more about dissociation and fugue states of mind. Is this the Boneyard or is it the Twilight zone???!

Reaction Score
Biggest problem today was game management with 5 minutes left. Running down the clock. Then trying to run our offense wirh 12 seconds without a strong ball handler who can get their own shot. We continued to run Hawk off screens with 10 seconds in the clock. He ends up giving the ball to Sanogo who has no business with the ball with 4 seconds left. .

How many times does Danny have to see this before he realizes it's not working?

Reaction Score
I've said this before, but it baffles my mind that for the last 8-9 years we've primarily operated, coached by successful D1 PGs, with a total dearth of playmakers or guys who can direct an offense. It's bizarre to me.

Reaction Score
What is up with Sanago with this shot fake on wide open 3's. Dude you can make it so shoot it. I guess he was hoping to get some points near the basket or show the NBA his drive game. LOL!
He actually can't make it unless he's wide open. Whenever he has any one near him, he misses. He knows when to take it. And I think he does well when he shot fakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom