We need a point guard | Page 15 | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don’t let 6 games fool you. That team was a 7 seed and had lost by 30+ points coming into the ncaa tourney.

And, they were fourth place in aac and life or death with st joes. This team is better. They just don’t have dynamic guards and a great player.

It’s ok that they got on a run. That’s beauty of tournament. But they were a 7 seed for a reason.

Fair point but so is his. I mean we have no one like Shabazz that we know we can count on game in game out. And we have no one at all like Boat who can cut the head off the snake with his in the face defense. 2 crucial areas this team lacks.

Reaction Score
By not developing the Double Big over the season, we are playing to our opponents strengths not ours. It became clear to me by early January that was the only paradigm type shift we could make to dramatically improve, yet for some inexplicable reason, that change hadn’t been made.
The disappointing thing is we are repeating basic mental type mistakes: standing with a back heel out of bounds, inability to run a simple inbounds play, playing defense with a reach not our feet, throwing 90mph fastball passes from 3 feet away, putting players in position to fail on offense, seemingly not realizing you don’t get extra credit/points for degree of difficulty, not capitalizing on uptempo when we get the rebounds.
So many of our problems are mental or mindset rather than physical. But it all needs to start with dominating physical and for that the Double Big is needed. If Andre simplified his passing and dribbling, he could be one of the best fast break, uptempo guards in the conference. After the Double Big obstructed a shot and got the rebound for the break.
I could not agree more with this analysis. VERY well said.

Reaction Score
Don’t let 6 games fool you. That team was a 7 seed and had lost by 30+ points coming into the ncaa tourney.

And, they were fourth place in aac and life or death with st joes. This team is better. They just don’t have dynamic guards and a great player.

It’s ok that they got on a run. That’s beauty of tournament. But they were a 7 seed for a reason.
They had the pieces, they just needed to put it together. This team appears, for now, to be lacking a key piece.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Yes, the 2014 team almost blew it to open the tournament against St Joe's but I can't see the current team winning against any of the other five schools the 2014 team knocked off. At best this team is a very weak version of the Kentucky team we beat in the finals and I can't imagine our current backcourt having close to the success that Michigan St, Florida or Kentucky had against our 2014 backcourt and each of those were dominated.

I can't see our current team winning a game that matters against that team.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yes, the 2014 team almost blew it to open the tournament against St Joe's but I can't see the current team winning against any of the other five schools the 2014 team knocked off. At best this team is a very weak version of the Kentucky team we beat in the finals and I can't imagine our current backcourt having close to the success that Michigan St, Florida or Kentucky had against our 2014 backcourt and each of those were dominated.

I can't see our current team winning a game that matters against that team.
This team blew out the best team in the country. They can beat anybody and yes, they could have beaten any of those team. What they aren't is consistent, so the challenge I have is imagining them playing 6 good games in a row. I think that's true of most teams though, the NCAA champion almost always survives a poorly played game. But we are more up and down than most.

I still don't know why we are so fixated on PG. Our PG is the only player in UConn history to have two triple doubles. How does Hurley ensure that we get that version of him? I think it's easy, give him the ball and tell him it's his job and that he believes in him. Stop trying to make Andre the PG. Last summer I thought they could split the duty and Newton could shift off ball since he's a good shooter. Well he can't. It's not a role he's comfortable in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This team is good. Are we good enough to win games in the tournament? We’ll soon find out, but the pieces are there. That’s why the computers love us. I feel good about our chances to win every time we play. As we know, the tournament is about matchups and we match up pretty well with a lot of teams.

The 2014 team won because of the alpha male (Shabazz), the ability for scorers to step up at the right times (Daniels and Giffey), defensive intensity (Boatright) and made FTs (team). Can Hawk play the Shabazz role….yes, can Sanogo and AK play the roles of Daniels and Giffey….yes, can AJ play the Boatright role….yes. Will they? Who knows? We’ll find out in March. But to the point of the thread, we need more consistent play at the PG position if we want to win 6 games in a row.

Reaction Score
Yes, the 2014 team almost blew it to open the tournament against St Joe's

Aye, there's the rub. This team loses versus St Joe's because it can't finish games. We have yet to come out on top in a close contest. It is a real weakness and one that is fatal in March.

It is virtually impossible to blow out all opponents in NCAA. What would be helpful is to win a back and forth one score game in the BET. Do that, and we're a threat for three weekends.

Reaction Score
There’s a couple debatables here already and I only skimmed it( Brogdon, Archidiachano). And you couldn’t
Yep it's debatable that first team All-American, ACC POY and defensive player of the year Malcolm Brogdon wasn't a better college pg as AJ Price, lolz. You want a Big East replacement pg for Ryan Arcidiacano on the list you can add Troy Bell, Dan Callindrillo, Myles Powell (pg/sg), Brandin Knight, Russ Smith...

350+ schools play D1 basketball and basketball has been around for a long time.

Reaction Score
Yep it's debatable that first team All-American, ACC POY and defensive player of the year Malcolm Brogdon wasn't a better college pg as AJ Price, lolz. You want a Big East replacement pg for Ryan Arcidiacano on the list you can add Troy Bell, Dan Callindrillo, Myles Powell (pg/sg), Brandin Knight, Russ Smith...

350+ schools play D1 basketball and basketball has been around for a long time.
Wow @superjohn. I’m impressed by the depth of your knowledge. It’s not often that you see a Dan Callindrillo reference. Well done!

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Eventually we need to accept that no team will be perfect. Would I like to see better guard play, sure I would. But honestly think about this statement. Have we ever had a player with a prettier jump shot than JH. We should enjoy watching him play while we can. It is funny comparing this team to 2014 NC team. Buzz was just in a zone, and I will always think he as well as Kamba should be revered for how they elevated their teams in the post season. But 15 years from now it could just be that JH becomes the greatest nba player in UConn history. I think he is that good. And if that is the case maybe just maybe he puts the team on his back like Kemba and Bazz and we make a deep run. Because I really do think this team has at least as many pieces as those two teams.

Reaction Score
People are literally criticizing after a win!
Beat somebody good or win a road game against at least a middle level team
We have two Quality home wins all season.
Marquette, Creighton
I don’t remember many if any negative comments after those games . Home Losses to St John’s and Xavier crushed our chances for a top spot . . You expect the majority of comments to be deservedly negative after a home loss.
Plus disappointing road loses to
Xavier, PC, Marquette and Xavier
and an average Seton Hall team
Disappointing that we got swept by the top teams , but there is always some negativity around a loss especially if you blow a lead or fold in the last few minutes . In 2016 we lost to the top seeded team in the tournament as a 9 in the second round and the comments were over 90% negative. that’s what forums like this are for .
Future games
PC would be a decent win but not great because you expect to win at home against equally talented team. .Unless you believe PC is a powerhouse or we have average talent
Almost no one will have a negative comment if we win .
St John’s is basically on a neutral court
a nice win to somewhat avenge an earlier embarrassment but not a great win against a struggling team
Although any win and again the comments won’t be negative
DePaul , if it isn’t a blowout win then there will be deservedly negative comments .
Villanova is struggling but I think it’s a very nice road win. as will the vast majority of BY’er’s
Remember this team has the pre season BE player of the year
A monster backup 5
A lottery pick
The greatest athlete in UConn history
The best freshman in the BE
Added a first team AAC PG
Plus two veterans of P5 leagues
another freshman who the Coach predicted would be drafted
and started the early season like gangbusters.
This team is either overrated or has underperformed in conference
It can’t be both . Underperforming is always worthy of criticism.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Haters can always find another reason to hate. It's fun for them.
Compulsions and addictions aren't necessarily "fun," but they do get wired up up as "feel goods," until they don't feel good, but then there's denial and a bunch of other non-Jedi mind tricks.

Rolling along at 362 posts and this . . .
Beat somebody good or win a road game against at least a middle level team
We have two Quality home wins all season.
Marquette, Creighton
I don’t remember many if any negative comments after those games . Home Losses to St John’s and Xavier crushed our chances for a top spot . . You expect the majority of comments to be deservedly negative after a home loss.
Plus disappointing road loses to
Xavier, PC, Marquette and Xavier
and an average Seton Hall team
Disappointing that we got swept by the top teams , but there is always some negativity around a loss especially if you blow a lead or fold in the last few minutes . In 2016 we lost to the top seeded team in the tournament as a 9 in the second round and the comments were over 90% negative. that’s what forums like this are for .
Future games
PC would be a decent win but not great because you expect to win at home against equally talented team. .Unless you believe PC is a powerhouse or we have average talent
Almost no one will have a negative comment if we win .
Yes, folks, that was the pre-built, preemptive negative comment. Can everybody resist picking up the mic after what follows?
I know it's tough to feel like you can't win, but can you stop yourself from trying?
St John’s is basically on a neutral court
a nice win to somewhat avenge an earlier embarrassment but not a great win against a struggling team
Although any win and again the comments won’t be negative
DePaul , if it isn’t a blowout win then there will be deservedly negative comments .
Villanova is struggling but I think it’s a very nice road win. as will the vast majority of BY’er’s
Remember this team has the pre season BE player of the year
A monster backup 5
A lottery pick
The greatest athlete in UConn history
The best freshman in the BE
Added a first team AAC PG
Plus two veterans of P5 leagues
another freshman who the Coach predicted would be drafted
and started the early season like gangbusters.
This team is either overrated or has underperformed in conference
It can’t be both . Underperforming is always worthy of criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom