We need a point guard | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am stunned that someone built a team without a point guard and thought it would work. And that he thinks he can do it again next year.

If Seton Hall doesn’t lose KR in the first half, we’re 0-2 against Seton Hall this year - we can only score against them in spurts and when they start to pressure our offense, we simply fall apart. We had Sanogo out there at the end trying to run the offense.

That was just ugly.

Reaction Score
I am stunned that someone built a team without a point guard and thought it would work. And that he thinks he can do it again next year.

If Seton Hall doesn’t lose KR in the first half, we’re 0-2 against Seton Hall this year - we can only score against them in spurts and when they start to pressure our offense, we simply fall apart. We had Sanogo out there at the end trying to run the offense.

That was just ugly.
I figured some dofus would say SH wins with Richmond. Congrats on being the 1st.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Newton and Diarra are the point guards, Jackson shares some of the playmaking burden. If you think they suck, then say it. But saying we didn’t recruit a PG is objectively false.

Also btw, we’re a top 20 AP team, top 5 at Kenpom, top 10 NET, and a projected 5 seed in the tournament before todays win, with another big opportunity in Providence to improve our seeding coming up. In what world is that “not working?”

Reaction Score

That was just ugly.
Lol yeah let’s just assume Kadary is a +10 point difference. Because that’s definitely reasonable

Reaction Score
The two PGs we had Rashoul Diggins and Jalen Gaffney transfered unexpectedly and Hurley did the best he could with landing a top transfer target in Newton. Newton has had some great games and is overall pretty good. We just have to accept he is going to have good games and bad games.
Diggins has done nothing at UMass, so we might be in a worse boat if he stayed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Newton and Diarra are the point guards, Jackson shares some of the playmaking burden. If you think they suck, then say it. But saying we didn’t recruit a PG is objectively false.

Also btw, we’re a top 20 AP team, top 5 at Kenpom, top 10 NET, and a projected 5 seed in the tournament before todays win, with another big opportunity in Providence to improve our seeding coming up. In what world is that “not working?”
We also only have a top 10 recruit coming in to play PG next year, but let’s just ignore that too.

Reaction Score

That was just ugly.
We're 20-7 with a good chance to go 13-7 in Big East.

Reaction Score

18 tos and 18% shooting from 3. We aren’t going very far with that.

Reaction Score
Newton played 2-3 possession without Jackson on the court. And majority of time it felt like Andre had the ball at the top of the key running the show.

Perhaps that was the game plan to get Jackson going, and it worked. But we need Newton to get going for any real chance in March.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Doesn't work in tough games, which is the measure of good players and teams. We had it early in the season and lost it in conference play. Need to find it quickly or suffer another year of early tourny exits.

Reaction Score

That was just ugly.
You're just realizing this now???

Reaction Score
Towards the end of the game there were like 5 possessions where we broke the press fine and then did nothing and got totally locked up. PG play definitely not great but after that happens once, the coach should be at least able to figure out how to get a shot.

Reaction Score
Tristen Newton was one of the most nationally coveted PG transfers in the portal last year. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. At the time, it was a great pickup. Can't forget he's averaged 18 a game in the 4 games before this (3W 1L) including a triple double

We have a 5 star PG recruit next year, so we certainly have one coming in. Ideally Diarra develops a somewhat reliable (at least 33%) three point shot this offseason and that's a good enough PG2 behind Castle. Don't love the idea of relying on a freshman and Diarra developing a shot, but you don't recruit a top 15 guy if you aren't going to start him

Reaction Score
I like Newton, for the record. But we don't have a point guard.

And that's been my tag line for several years now.

College bball is a point guard's game. Always has been, always will be.

"My kingdom for a point guard."

This team would be unbeaten with Taliek Brown (there, I said it!).

Reaction Score
Physical on ball pressure by the defense is what gives our guards problem.

Newton just doesn’t beat his defender easily and Jackson can run point at times but we all know that just blocks the driving lanes and paint because of his struggles from the perimeter. Diarra was best today getting penetration.
Opponents know this now from scouting and they make this their defensive game plan.
And let’s not even talk about our breaking of full court defensive pressure.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
C86B569E-7E80-41E7-8520-F69393941E95.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads