We need a point guard | Page 5 | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am stunned that someone built a team without a point guard and thought it would work. And that he thinks he can do it again next year.

If Seton Hall doesn’t lose KR in the first half, we’re 0-2 against Seton Hall this year - we can only score against them in spurts and when they start to pressure our offense, we simply fall apart. We had Sanogo out there at the end trying to run the offense.

That was just ugly.
I’m glad someone besides me has finally said it.

Reaction Score
But on the flip, all of our wins you give basically no credit yet you pile on after every loss. Interesting mindset.

4 years ago this team was under .500 in the AAC. They obviously need to win in the tourney and if we don’t everyone will be mad and there will be no pom poms.

But it boggles my mind how anyone can be that disappointed with where we are right now
Disappointed in seeing the same mistakes game after game. Just because we win doesn’t erase that. Good teams will eventually win. After a 14-0 start my expectations grew too high. Some of the games we’ve played have been brutal.

Reaction Score
I could care less right now bout next year and who'll play pg. All's I know is that this year which is the one that matters right now, has this team with poor PG play and that could sink us come March.
Seton Hall is not a very good team, but they exposed our weaknesses big time.
Tournament play demands a solid Pg because every team is good. Some directional midmajor will likely take us out if Newton doesn't get his consistency act together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Biggest problem today was game management with 5 minutes left. Running down the clock. Then trying to run our offense wirh 12 seconds without a strong ball handler who can get their own shot. We continued to run Hawk off screens with 10 seconds in the clock. He ends up giving the ball to Sanogo who has no business with the ball with 4 seconds left. .

How many times does Danny have to see this before he realizes it's not working?
We broke the press once, and Hawk and Adama had a 2-on-1; and Hawk pulled up and held the ball. I couldn’t believe it.

Seton Hall had no place bringing it within 6. We once again had 16 or so point lead that we pathetically nearly choked away. Late-game decision making continues to plague us. Seton Hall is not a very good team; if this happens again against Providence, we will be embarrassed again. It would be one thing if we just missed shots, or rebound’s didn’t land our way; but the way we tighten up late in games, now even with a huge lead, is really something else. I really wish I had no reason to be a broken record on this.

Reaction Score
We broke the press once, and Hawk and Adama had a 2-on-1; and Hawk pulled up and held the ball. I couldn’t believe it.

Seton Hall had no place bringing it within 6. We once again had 16 or so point lead that we pathetically nearly choked away. Late-game decision making continues to plague us. Seton Hall is not a very good team; if this happens again against Providence, we will be embarrassed again. It would be one thing if we just missed shots, or rebound’s didn’t land our way; but the way we tighten up late in games, now even with a huge lead, is really something else. I really wish I had no reason to be a broken record on this.
The lowest our Kenpom projected win percentage got in the last 5 minutes was 98.5%.

Reaction Score
This is our team, unless Coach Hurley wants to don a jersey.

I enjoy this discussion about the PG position.

I do hope the mods institute a 1 week suspension if (from now on) anyone includes the words point and Andre Jackson in the same sentence.

btw I thought AJ played one of his best games today as a forward, not as a you know what. Cheers.

Reaction Score
He actually can't make it unless he's wide open. Whenever he has any one near him, he misses. He knows when to take it. And I think he does well when he shot fakes
Well not this game for sure and he was open before hesitated both times.

Reaction Score
I have thought for a while that Newton is the key to this team. If he plays effectively we are good. If not we struggle as we did against an underwhelming Seton Hall team that was not deep and lost their best player.

Maybe Hurley should tell Jackson that there was a rule change and you aren’t allowed to shoot from beyond that line. Other than his bricks fro 3 I thought he played really well today. Ran the baseline and scored instead of trying to be a 3 point shooter most of the time.

Sanogo, I thought, was our mvp. The last block probably saved the game and he basically outran a guard to make it.

All in all a much needed win against an undermanned and pretty average Seton Hall.

PS. The refs in the Big East might be the worst in Division. They seem in love with calling a charge, which was always a pretty rare call and never call traveling. Plus they seem to have bought into the rough tough NEWBIE image and let hacks, grabs and pushes go with impunity

Reaction Score
Oh cool, we're comparing our team to most teams in D1 now. A bunch of teams lose their starters and a bulk of their mintues/scoring/great players and do great. Three of them are playing on national tv right now.

The excuse making around here is tiresome. I seriously hope we go on a run this season or we'll see all the same excuses again next season when most of our scoring moves on and we'll be absolutely loaded with talent.
You realize it works both ways right? Those of us who are happy with this season so far know that the complainers are going to keep crying no matter what

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Go ahead. I genuinely don’t care. The point is boat, price, and Kemba were great college pgs. And it had as much to do with physical ability as it did “coaching”. An RJ Cole with this group and we might be the #1 team in the country
lol no we wouldn’t. We’d be right where we are now.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You realize it works both ways right? Those of us who are happy with this season so far know that the complainers are going to keep crying no matter what
“Whiners” & “complainers”= fans with standards….

It’s very obvious that those who are happy with this season were happy with last season, and will most likely be happy with next season if it’s a repeat of this one.

Reaction Score
“Whiners” & “complainers”= fans with standards….

It’s very obvious that those who are happy with this season were happy with last season, and will most likely be happy with next season if it’s a repeat of this one.
your posts are so predictable. Always “yeah but..”

When we won a few in a row “yeah but let’s see what happens with Marquette.”

Then we rip Marquette, a top 10 team, from the tip. “yeah but…”

See a pattern?

Reaction Score
Our coach said UConn would be winning championships by now. We've yet to win a regular season Big East, yet to make a Big East tournament finals, yet to win a NCAA tournament game, and we're going to finish a distant 5th in the Big East regular season this year.

Some people choose to ball wash when we have nothing to show for Hurley's tenure so far other than making tournaments, others choose to be realistic about where we are and what we've accomplished.

If UConn wins the Big East tournament and makes it to the second weekend I'm confident the overwhelming majority of the "whiners" will be happy and congratulate Hurley for accomplishing something. I'm also confident if we flame out again the excuse makers will continue to make excuses.

Reaction Score
After going 14-0 how can any fan be happy about being 20-7
thats 6-7 In our last 13 , for team ranked as high a two looking for a minimum 2 seed and who was picked either first or second in the Big East that’s worthy of criticism.
That minimally tells you we have a lot of work to do.
People have a variety of opinions including maybe this team isn’t built for the physical nature of the league but pretending this is turning out to be a success is just not realistic.
The only way to shut critics up is win .

Reaction Score
We haven’t been very good at all in the last 2. Not beating anyone of significance playing like that not sure why there’s such a celebration going on. Win is a win but seeing the same pattern of things which good coaches will prey upon is not good!
I’m also concerned about coaching and consistent PG play, but today is a tough day to complain. Everyone other than Newton played well, our first 36 minutes were solid and we won by 9. If Diarra can give us good minutes like today, we’re 8 deep with the possibility of being 9 deep if Joey is given a chance. Very few teams in the country can challenge our depth. Lots of weapons if utilized properly.

Reaction Score
That’s with the transfer portal. When we were .500 in the AAC that didn’t exist. The transfer portal changed the speed of rebuilds. And to add to that Xavier severely under achieved last season. Miller inherited more talent than Hurley
OMG, Hurley inherited his talent 5 years ago. Five. And our best hope is to finish 5th. We didn’t hire Hurley to “make us relevant again.” He was hired to win championships. This is UConn, not Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
OMG, Hurley inherited his talent 5 years ago. Five. And our best hope is to finish 5th. We didn’t hire Hurley to “make us relevant again.” He was hired to win championships. This is UConn, not Seton Hall.
Who said Hurley was hired to just be relevant? Last year people on here were saying we didn’t,t have a point guard RJ Cole included. We love to complain about everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom