We need a point guard | Page 6 | The Boneyard

We need a point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I figured some dofus would say SH wins with Richmond. Congrats on being the 1st.
Richmond was easily the best player on the court today and it wasn’t close nor debatable. The Hall wins by double digits if Richmond stayed in the game. You’re welcome.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
OMG, Hurley inherited his talent 5 years ago. Five. And our best hope is to finish 5th. We didn’t hire Hurley to “make us relevant again.” He was hired to win championships. This is UConn, not Seton Hall.
Fwiw, the talent Hurley inherited has been some of his best players here. Most of them won one award or another.

The “cupboard was bare” narrative is kind of weak when we actually take a step back and look at their careers.

Reaction Score
We haven’t had a true, instinctual, quality PG in years. We need to sign one. When we do, Hurley’s in game coaching will look a whole lot better. Our ability to close out games will improve exponentially. College teams usually need a floor general to be great. It’s just the way it is. I’m just shocked that Hurley, a PG himself, doesn’t seem to value the traditional PG that much.

Newton was very good the last few games. I’m still hopeful he can lead us on a run, but he just doesn’t mesh well with Jackson when Jax is distributing. I won’t complain about Jackson today, he was good. However, it is more important for the team overall that Newton play well. That may mean taking the ball out of Andre’s hands more.

Reaction Score
I’m also concerned about coaching and consistent PG play, but today is a tough day to complain. Everyone other than Newton played well, our first 36 minutes were solid and we won by 9. If Diarra can give us good minutes like today, we’re 8 deep with the possibility of being 9 deep if Joey is given a chance. Very few teams in the country can challenge our depth. Lots of weapons if utilized properly.

It’s not at all a complaint I’m being serious. That was awful basketball today and to grab a 16 point lead finally only to piss it away is all you need to know. And the everyone other than Newton played well is hilarious. Sanogo was ok for the first 10 then wasn’t good at all.

It’s a win I get that but scary nonetheless.

Reaction Score
OMG, Hurley inherited his talent 5 years ago. Five. And our best hope is to finish 5th. We didn’t hire Hurley to “make us relevant again.” He was hired to win championships. This is UConn, not Seton Hall.
That has zero to do with anything I was responding too

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Me - “We need a point guard”
Pundits - “UConn needs a point guard”
Everyone else on earth - “They need a point guard”
Aliens from outer space - “Those earthlings need a point guard”

You kids -

Tantrum Crying GIF

Reaction Score
Fwiw, the talent Hurley inherited has been some of his best players here. Most of them won one award or another.

The “cupboard was bare” narrative is kind of weak when we actually take a step back and look at their careers.
I don’t really disagree. But my point is it isvyear 5. The cupboard is bare excuse doesn’t hold even if it were true. Time to deliver.

Reaction Score
I say we need a point guard and I honestly like Newton better than Cole, though Cole is a lot more consistent. Newton's off days are pootz. That makes Cole, better, I get it, but on his good days, having a Newton is better than having a Cole.

Remember, Shabazz and Kemba were held in check by BE style and they only really flourished outside this league. That's how that kid from ND won BE POY in Kemba's last year and now no one even remembers his name.

The truth is we haven't had what we really need since Boatright.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The two PGs we had Rashoul Diggins and Jalen Gaffney transfered unexpectedly and Hurley did the best he could with landing a top transfer target in Newton.
yeah, they transferred unexpectedly because they were disappointing unexpectedly. I remember how psyched we were when we got Diggins.

Reaction Score
yeah, they transferred unexpectedly because they were disappointing unexpectedly. I remember how psyched we were when we got Diggins.
It really boggles my mind.

When he got here, he just could not dribble a basketball.

Q: are we looking at the recruiting rankings when we recruit? I know Diggins was highly ranked for what he ways. Yet Jay Wright took a pass. I seem to remember that both Napier and Boatright were in that 80-100 range in the rankings. Napier was maybe even lower than that. Who is scouting these kids?

Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun used to find them, and beat the Kentuckys and Dukes of the world who had high-scoring combo guards at the point.
This ain’t jim Calhouns era

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Me - “We need a point guard”
Pundits - “UConn needs a point guard”
Everyone else on earth - “They need a point guard”
Aliens from outer space - “Those earthlings need a point guard”

You kids -

Tantrum Crying GIF
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Newton is a very good point guard. But don’t expect him to play like one when you put the ball in Jackson’s hands and move him off the ball. He’s been terrific when Jackson isn’t dominating the ball. Bad when Jackson is. Pick your poison.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Jim Calhoun used to find them, and beat the Kentuckys and Dukes of the world who had high-scoring combo guards at the point.
Ollie didn’t do a bad job either. This struggle is only new to the Hurley era. Lol

caw

Reaction Score
Newton is a very good point guard. But don’t expect him to play like one when you put the ball in Jackson’s hands and move him off the ball. He’s been terrific when Jackson isn’t dominating the ball. Bad when Jackson is. Pick your poison.

I liked how they used Jackson today. They used him up top in the high pick and roll as the screener (or dribble handoff) until SHU had to pull up the defender from the paint. Then they put him in the dunker spot. Basically played him in the four position.

Newton didn’t play well at all until FTs at the end. Didn’t take bad shots but seemed content to not force the issue. For good or bad he lets the game come to him quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom