Three More, Including Danny O'Brien, Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
RE needs a pr lady like shawna from entourage

Reaction Score
Dan O'Brien is transferring. obviously he's not committed to the program or he wouldn't be leaving. why is Edsall a dick for saying this again? to me being a dick is not granting a release, or saying that he's leaving because he's not good enough.

BTW i hate myself for adding to this thread

Don't look now, but you might find out that O'Brien wanted to go to Vanderbilt, where his former offensive coach, is now the head coach, and Randy said no.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
over 6 pages. for sure.
If we try hard enough, I think we can get it to 6 pages just debating how long the thread will be.

I think this will go at least 9 pages.

Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider

....and there you go. I wonder what competitive disadvantage Edsall will come up with for the the program by blocking the transfer to a non-conference program that Maryland does not have on the schedule, when he's allowed a transfer to come to UConn, and we've got a home and home coming up in the next two years?

O’Brien did request and was granted his release from Maryland. One stipulation: Maryland Coach Randy Edsall did not give O’Brien his release to transfer to Vanderbilt, according to an individual familiar with the discussion between O’Brien and Edsall. The head coach at Vanderbilt, of course, is James Franklin, the former offensive coordinator/head-coach-in-waiting at Maryland.
O’Brien chose Maryland a few years ago primarily to play for Franklin. If Edsall had allowed O’Brien to transfer to Vanderbilt, it’s unclear that O’Brien would have done so. But Edsall is not allowing O’Brien to make that move.

Reaction Score
personally i think it's a dick move to keep him from going to his old OC, who very well may have recruited him, but he's still granting his release.

Reaction Score
personally i think it's a dick move to keep him from going to his old OC, who very well may have recruited him, but he's still granting his release.

Agreed. Whats the big deal? Not like it's an ACC school, either. O'Brien was not an Edsall recruit, one has to expect some players won't mesh with the new regime. Plus, Edsall should want to get rid of the players who were really causing problems in the locker room. Granted, O'Brien plays a pretty key position, and although he was atrocious last year, he did have a great season the year before.

Reaction Score
But you got to wonder, why a Maryland linebacker can follow Don Brown to UConn, but a Maryland QB can't follow James Franklin to Vanderbilt.

That's what killed me when I found out. It's not unusual for coaches to block transfers within conferences, or even outside conferences. But not much consistency between granting a linebacker transfer to UConn following Don Brown, and then blocking the transfer of a quarterback to Vanderbilt following James Franklin. Especially when Maryland's got a home and home with UConn on the schedule, and Maryland doesn't have Vanderbilt on the schedule at all for the foreseeable future.

Things that make you go....hmmmm....

Reaction Score
It really annoys the heck 0ut of me that some coaches treat their players like indentured servants when they want to leave. I could understand it if loyalty were an issue...but c'mon FHCRE, where was your loyalty when you left UConn the way you did. I'd say it's more about spite. Besides DOB is only one kid, and even if he does go to Vandy, it's doubtful he'd meet up against him within the next two years. He should be more worried if he goes to Towson or Temple or WVU or dare I say...UConn. :D

Reaction Score
But you got to wonder, why a Maryland linebacker can follow Don Brown to UConn, but a Maryland QB can't follow James Franklin to Vanderbilt.

That's what killed me when I found out. It's not unusual for coaches to block transfers within conferences, or even outside conferences. But not much consistency between granting a linebacker transfer to UConn following Don Brown, and then blocking the transfer of a quarterback to Vanderbilt following James Franklin. Especially when Maryland's got a home and home with UConn on the schedule, and Maryland doesn't have Vanderbilt on the schedule at all for the foreseeable future.

Things that make you go....hmmmm....

Complete speculation on my point as to why Edsall refused is that O'Brien was widely reported to be the ring leader of the anti Edsall faction in the locker room. Petty as to may be, maybe Edsall didn't want a kid who tried to cause a mutiny to have his # 1 choice of school? If it was me, I would just let the kid go wherever he wants.

Reaction Score
If I was the AD at Maryland I would have sat down with Edsall and asked if all this carnage was necessary. If I came away from that meeting not convinced that it was I would put Edsall on a very short leash. My guess is that is exactly where Edsall is right now.

His team laid down in that last game of the season with NC State. That was very telling to me. I would not be at all shocked if we never see Edsall at the Rent again.

Reaction Score
I like Pudge's take on this. Edsall can't help being a dick, at least he comes across that way everytime he speaks publicly. I'm at the point where I wish haters and apologists alike just moved away from the dude. Damn I hope we win big this year to separate once and from all from the Edsall era.

Reaction Score
I like Pudge's take on this. Edsall can't help being a dick, at least he comes across that way everytime he speaks publicly. I'm at the point where I wish haters and apologists alike just moved away from the dude. Damn I hope we win big this year to separate once and from all from the Edsall era.

i say we all collectively decide that if we beat Maryland this year, and he's no longer with them for the return trip in 2013, we never utter his name again and move on with our lives. even Randy Macho Man Savage is off limits because their names are too similar and it'll lead to a 6 page Edsall thread

Reaction Score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider

....and there you go. I wonder what competitive disadvantage Edsall will come up with for the the program by blocking the transfer to a non-conference program that Maryland does not have on the schedule, when he's allowed a transfer to come to UConn, and we've got a home and home coming up in the next two years?

O’Brien did request and was granted his release from Maryland. One stipulation: Maryland Coach Randy Edsall did not give O’Brien his release to transfer to Vanderbilt, according to an individual familiar with the discussion between O’Brien and Edsall. The head coach at Vanderbilt, of course, is James Franklin, the former offensive coordinator/head-coach-in-waiting at Maryland.
O’Brien chose Maryland a few years ago primarily to play for Franklin. If Edsall had allowed O’Brien to transfer to Vanderbilt, it’s unclear that O’Brien would have done so. But Edsall is not allowing O’Brien to make that move.

If he has graduated, or will graduate this spring, why does he need a release to transfer? Can't he just enroll as a graduate student and then play where ever he wants?

It will be interesting to see what his grad school major will be. Tough for a private school to be offering more graduate school options than a flagship state school. I am guessing Vandy has something that MD does not offer.

Reaction Score
If I read the article correctly, 24 kids have transferred so far, including 12 since the end of the season. Wow!

Reaction Score
If I read the article correctly, 24 kids have transferred so far, including 12 since the end of the season. Wow!

You are reading it wrong. That 24 includes transfers and players with eligibility remaining who did not return.

Reaction Score
Edsall has always been a jerk in the media, but refusing to let a kid get a top tier education with a coach he loves is a new low for him.

Reaction Score
Edsall has always been a jerk in the media, but refusing to let a kid get a top tier education with a coach he loves is a new low for him.

I agree. Isn't it about the kids after all, turning them into men and letting them pursue careers/dreams?

Reaction Score
A little more insight. O'Brien hosted Diggs on a January visit. RE asked OB not to make any announcements until Diggs signed. Not sure if RE knew OB wanted to play for Franklin at Vandy. So Diggs signs and OB is granted his release excluding Vandy. The DC media is all over Randy. Another classy move by out former coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Of all the things Edsall has done or been accused of doing - if he blocks O'Brien from Vanderbilt, that is the one thing I'd have the biggest problem with. I can't stand when coaches block athletes from certain programs.

Reaction Score
Especially since MD does not play Vandy nor are they in the same conference.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
It would be pretty lame to not let a player transfer to a program that is not in your conference. Especially considering that it is a great educational opportunity.

Reaction Score
Looks like the magic BL Edsall-phone isn't lighting up to rush to Edsall's defense on this one...

Reaction Score
1. It wouldn't be the first time.

2. Having said that, read my prior two posts. I did not say it was good, bad or neutral for Edsall to have done that. What I said was ZLS unfairly took a quote out of context by pretending Edsall gave his opinion instead of repeating what O'Brien said. It says all that can be said about the hate left on this board towards our former coach that a post that is only about criticizing a poster can still be taken as a defense of Edall's actions. When I want to defend Edsall, or criticize him for that matter, I am perfectly capable of doing so. Whether you think Edsall should have repeated O'Brien's words or not, repeating them is still quite different than implying they are Edsall's words. Even if you hate Edsall, that is not reason/excuse for taking his quotes out of context.

You're ignoring the fact that Edsall went 3 for 3 in throwing the transfers under the bus - one is homesick, one wants to be a CB when Edsall wants him as a LB, one is not "all in". Nothing to do with Edsall or his program, all on the individual player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom