Three More, Including Danny O'Brien, Will Transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Three More, Including Danny O'Brien, Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"implying that Edsall had anything to do with Todman leaving is just wrong. Todman wanted the money and he wanted it then." And you KNOW this how? You KNOW fhcRE did not have anything to do with Todman leaving, they never talked, fhcRE didn't pull a Pete Carroll, didn't suggest he get NFL personnel comments, didn't suggest he think a little more, didn't suggest he made a good decision and should tell everyone right away, etc. You KNOW Todman wanted the money and he wanted it then, not that he was concerned about the # of carries on his body, thought that the recruiting class was weak in RB's, that he was tired of college and 4 years was enough, etc.

You tell me how you KNOW all this and I'll tell you how I KNOW coach P didn't put the most productive QB on the field last year.

Todman's stock could not improve any more if he stayed at UCONN. But he certainly could have gotten injured. Selfishly, I wanted him back, he was a beast who gained 2000 yards with no semblance of a passing attack.

But he could not improve his draft stock. He was not going to get bigger, or more durable. He got paid a solid salary this season, and at the very least will be able to continue his career in the CFL. The biggest issue with Jordan is he is not really a special teamer, and that is what ultimately cost him his job in San Diego (Curtis Brinkley, although not as good of a running back as Todman, IMO, was able to play specials).

Reaction Score
"implying that Edsall had anything to do with Todman leaving is just wrong. Todman wanted the money and he wanted it then." And you KNOW this how? You KNOW fhcRE did not have anything to do with Todman leaving, they never talked, fhcRE didn't pull a Pete Carroll, didn't suggest he get NFL personnel comments, didn't suggest he think a little more, didn't suggest he made a good decision and should tell everyone right away, etc. You KNOW Todman wanted the money and he wanted it then, not that he was concerned about the # of carries on his body, thought that the recruiting class was weak in RB's, that he was tired of college and 4 years was enough, etc.

You tell me how you KNOW all this and I'll tell you how I KNOW coach P didn't put the most productive QB on the field last year.

Because people close to the player were on here, and sending PMs to people, saying he was going pro after the first quarter of the season.

So your answer to the QB question is ...?

Reaction Score
Because people close to the player were on here, and sending PMs to people, saying he was going pro after the first quarter of the season.

So your answer to the QB question is ...?

Edsall sent me a PM and told me to tell you to stop sticking up for him. And that he think you are a .

Reaction Score
Edsall sent me a PM and told me to tell you to stop sticking up for him. And that he think you are a .

Great. I answer a question with a fact (it was posted on this board) and you post this. Since I've given an answer to a question I was asked and my position is the one that doesn't accuse anyone of acting in an immoral manner, would you like to suggest any primary sourced fact that Edsall did encourage Todman to leave because Edsall knew he was leaving? Or just call me an ass again because that's all you have?

P.S. -- if it isn't clear we all know where the smart money is on that bet.

Reaction Score
Great. I answer a question with a fact (it was posted on this board) and you post this. Since I've given an answer to a question I was asked and my position is the one that doesn't accuse anyone of acting in an immoral manner, would you like to suggest any primary sourced fact that Edsall did encourage Todman to leave because Edsall knew he was leaving? Or just call me an ass again because that's all you have?

P.S. -- if it isn't clear we all know where the smart money is on that bet.

I do not know what Edsall advised Todman to do, nor does it matter. The hypocrisy lies in the fact that Edsall made Todman stand up and address his teammates when Edsall himself was minutes away from resigning and wasn't man enough to do what he asked Todman to do.

And I'll call you an ass again.

Reaction Score
I do not know what Edsall advised Todman to do, nor does it matter. The hypocrisy lies in the fact that Edsall made Todman stand up and address his teammates when Edsall himself was minutes away from resigning and wasn't man enough to do what he asked Todman to do.

And I'll call you an ass again.

I stated I understood why people saw hypocrisy in that part of it. But I'm happy you can argue with yourself and come out of it concluding I'm an ass. Most people don't have to argue with themselves to get there.

Reaction Score
That's so wrong I don't even know how to respond. Edsall made Todman tell the team he was leaving after Todman told Edsall he was leaving. You think that makes Edsall a hypocrite, yeah, I get that. But implying that Edsall had anything to do with Todman leaving is just wrong. Todman wanted the money and he wanted it then. Other than stuff people make up on this board, there has never been the slightest hint that Edsall was any part of that decision whatsoever.

Edsall's actions vis a vis Todman seem to get worse and worse as people on hear make up more stuff because of other stuff on here that people made up.

The people who have made stuff up on this board about Todman are wrong to have done so. I have not seen that, but rather have seen people ASKING questions. I think the references that have been made here regarding Todman's leaving, and IF RE had ANY role in that, are questions. In part, they relate to his prodding of Todman to make the announcement public when RE knew, that RE was heading out the door right after Todman! The questions posters have brought up here.... don't STATE that he, RE, had a role, they ASK the question...a BIG difference!! And your inference/suggestion/statement, that RE had NOTHING at all to do with the decision cannot be factually confirmed by you in any way...no matter how certain you make your position sound! In fact, these statements from the Connecticut Post seem to indicate that Edsall DID INDEED have a role in helping Todman arrive at his decision.

Coach Randy Edsall is in full agreement with Todman's decision, it seems.

"I'm 100 percent behind him," Edsall said. "We've talked and we've done research and given him the information."

"I got some good news, my stock is pretty high," Todman said.

Where do you think he got that information from?? Hmmm...do you think it was presented without any opinion??

The junior from North Dartmouth, Mass., hinted that he was leaving when he took part in the Huskies' annual jersey switch in practice Thursday. It's a tradition usually reserved for seniors only.

So do you think had an idea he was leaving? Do you think his teammates had an idea? If so, why would RE make him announce it to his team after the bowl game...formally? Perhaps because he knew that Todman wasn't fully certain he was going to leave UConn?

Todman said he made his decision prior to the game and wasn't likely to change his mind.

So was the door closed already in his mind? Perhaps there was a little doubt in Todman's mind. . Maybe Edsall wanted to make sure that the decision was made final by having Todman announce it to his teammates...right before Edsall announced his decision to the press?​
I think these statements pretty clearly suggest that Edsall helped Todman make his decision. If he was providing draft information and opinions of NFL personnel to his RB, then he WAS a participant in the decision making process!​

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
is danny obrien gonna transfer here or what?????

Reaction Score
The people who have made stuff up on this board about Todman are wrong to have done so. I have not seen that, but rather have seen people ASKING questions. I think the references that have been made here regarding Todman's leaving, and IF RE had ANY role in that, are questions. In part, they relate to his prodding of Todman to make the announcement public when RE knew, that RE was heading out the door right after Todman! The questions posters have brought up here.... don't STATE that he, RE, had a role, they ASK the question...a BIG difference!! And your inference/suggestion/statement, that RE had NOTHING at all to do with the decision cannot be factually confirmed by you in any way...no matter how certain you make your position sound! In fact, these statements from the Connecticut Post seem to indicate that Edsall DID INDEED have a role in helping Todman arrive at his decision.

Coach Randy Edsall is in full agreement with Todman's decision, it seems.

"I'm 100 percent behind him," Edsall said. "We've talked and we've done research and given him the information."

"I got some good news, my stock is pretty high," Todman said.

Where do you think he got that information from?? Hmmm...do you think it was presented without any opinion??

The junior from North Dartmouth, Mass., hinted that he was leaving when he took part in the Huskies' annual jersey switch in practice Thursday. It's a tradition usually reserved for seniors only.

So do you think had an idea he was leaving? Do you think his teammates had an idea? If so, why would RE make him announce it to his team after the bowl game...formally? Perhaps because he knew that Todman wasn't fully certain he was going to leave UConn?

Todman said he made his decision prior to the game and wasn't likely to change his mind.

So was the door closed already in his mind? Perhaps there was a little doubt in Todman's mind. . Maybe Edsall wanted to make sure that the decision was made final by having Todman announce it to his teammates...right before Edsall announced his decision to the press?​
I think these statements pretty clearly suggest that Edsall helped Todman make his decision. If he was providing draft information and opinions of NFL personnel to his RB, then he WAS a participant in the decision making process!​

Thank you for a cogent post. I believe the people who came on this board and told us it was a done deal months before it happened. You can choose not to. I read that article as only talking about the announcement, and not the decision, but you can interpret it how you like (obviously).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's hard to worry too much about it, since it was the right move for the player.

Reaction Score
Thank you for a cogent post. I believe the people who came on this board and told us it was a done deal months before it happened. You can choose not to. I read that article as only talking about the announcement, and not the decision, but you can interpret it how you like (obviously).

Thanks for your comments BL. I happen to agree with the idea that he was exploring the idea, rather seriously, earlier as well. However, I don't believe it was a done deal until the season was completed. He admits to such in the following quote.

"I went home, we had a break over Christmas and I sat down with my family and met with a lot of people and did a lot of homework, thinking what would be the best decision for me. We talked about the positives and the negatives and the decision was to go."

Perhaps one of those people was Edsall? How could it not be? Kids put more faith in what their coaches think than almost anyone else.

But let's just say that your thought is correct about the timing. Mid-season or thereabouts wouldn't be a great time for a final decision as so many variables are unknown at that point. He couldn't possibly know if his season would continue to be so good, who else was coming out for the draft, what the NFL scouts evaluation of him would be and where he could expect to be drafted.

In the end, as Whaler11 mentions, and I believe you as well, it's hard to imagine JT doing any more in college than he already had. However, I do believe that Edsall had a definite role in him arriving at that decision, regardless of the timing of it and whether for his (RE's) own personal reasons or not. And that was the issue which started us down this path of discussion originally. Hopefully things work out for him in Minnesota this year!

Reaction Score
I remember him dragging his shoulders off the field behind him. No way he'd have survived another 2000 yard season.

Reaction Score
BL, when Donyell went pro he had to go due to the salary structure which got him 42 million if I remember correctly. Coach C did the math even though Donyell and the Huskies Hoop team would have been better off with another college year from him. I don't see where Jordan came out ahead in his leaving early and I question who was giving him the information which really should have mostly come from Edsall and any contacts he had in the pros. BE offensive player of the year and you wind up drafted late and on the practice squad on a team that lost a big time playmaker means the data and advice was lousy. One more year in College and the draft status would of been the same or better as JT would have proven he can handle the full time load more than one year. I don't think Coach P would have ridden him into the ground but the amount of carries McCoombs got leaves that theory in question. I think Coach P had no other choices and got lucky he (LM) didn't get hurt.

Reaction Score
BL, when Donyell went pro he had to go due to the salary structure which got him 42 million if I remember correctly. Coach C did the math even though Donyell and the Huskies Hoop team would have been better off with another college year from him. I don't see where Jordan came out ahead in his leaving early and I question who was giving him the information which really should have mostly come from Edsall and any contacts he had in the pros. BE offensive player of the year and you wind up drafted late and on the practice squad on a team that lost a big time playmaker means the data and advice was lousy. One more year in College and the draft status would of been the same or better as JT would have proven he can handle the full time load more than one year. I don't think Coach P would have ridden him into the ground but the amount of carries McCoombs got leaves that theory in question. I think Coach P had no other choices and got lucky he (LM) didn't get hurt.

A year back would not significantly improve his stock, it would just increase Jordan's chance for injury, and increase the mileage on his body. He did everything he could do at UCONN, he ran for 2000 yards and displayed great running back instincts. As a pure runner, Todman was very good. He was patient, read the blocks, set up blocks, and could accelerate quickly. We all saw that, as I am sure scouts did too. But this is what hurt him: Pass Blocking: In todays NFL, you need to be able to pass block. Jordan was sub par in this area. Special Teams: When you are on a team as a 3rd or 4th back, you need to be able to play on the coverage units. Jordan was not a coverage units player. So teams were faced with a 3rd down back who was poor at pass blocking, and could not play specials. That is why he was cut in favor of an inferior running back (Curtis Brinkley) in San Diego. Brinkley could play specials.

Now I believe Todman can become a solid backup running back at the NFL level. But the window is short to prove yourself, so he has to show he will give up his body as a pass blocker. There is no doubt he will get an opportunity in camp.

Reaction Score
In the interest of beating a dead horse....:D

Three More, Including Danny O'Brien, Will Transfer

We had some hope that DOB would stay after Stefon Diggs committed to Maryland, but this has been a long time coming. Also leaving are expected starting left tackle Max Garcia and linebacker Mario Rowson. We'll have a full story with the updated transfer count shortly.
http://www.testudotimes.com/

Maryland quarterback Danny O'Brien, offensive lineman Max Garcia, and linebacker Mario Rowson requested and were granted their releases from the football program, the school announced on Monday.

“I’m disappointed by Danny’s decision,” coach Randy Edsall said in a prepared statement. “Danny told me that he’s not committed to our program, that he’s not ‘all in.’ I want what’s best for all of our players. Danny wants a fresh start elsewhere. I wish him well.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/36533/terps-qb-danny-obrien-2-others-to-transfer

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
“I’m disappointed by Danny’s decision,” coach Randy Edsall said in a prepared statement. “Danny told me that he’s not committed to our program, that he’s not ‘all in.’ I want what’s best for all of our players. Danny wants a fresh start elsewhere. I wish him well.”

This is the crap about him I was talking about. He couldn't just say Danny wanted a new start, that he wanted to play elsewhere and wish him well- he also had to say that he wasn't committed to the program. Throw him under the bus. It's not me, it's him. What a crock of crap.

Reaction Score
This is the crap about him I was talking about. He couldn't just say Danny wanted a new start, that he wanted to play elsewhere and wish him well- he also had to say that he wasn't committed to the program. Throw him under the bus. It's not me, it's him. What a crock of crap.

Actually, if you care you're badly misquoting Edsall. He did not proffer his opinion that O'Brien was all in -- he is repeating what O'Brien told him. Two very different things.

Reaction Score
Transfers are to be expected after a new regime, the year a new coach comes in, and the year after. We will be losing a couple more I am sure after the spring.

O'Brien was bad last year, but I wonder if some of that could be blamed on Gary Crowton's O. CJ Brown is a great running qb, but he completed below 50 % of his passes last year. Oof. I follow the Maryland program pretty closely and from what I have heard, O'Brien was a big part of the divisiveness in the locker room.

And it never helps to lose your starting LT.

Reaction Score

He wasn't committed to the program.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Actually, if you care you're badly misquoting Edsall. He did not proffer his opinion that O'Brien was all in -- he is repeating what O'Brien told him. Two very different things.

Why does that need to be public? Why's he got to mention the kid who thinks he's a defensive back but he thinks isn't a defensive back? Why can't he take the high road for once in his professional life?

Reaction Score
Why does that need to be public? Why's he got to mention the kid who thinks he's a defensive back but he thinks isn't a defensive back? Why can't he take the high road for once in his professional life?

LOL. The proper response to my post was "Yes, you're right, he's still a schmuck but I took his words out of context." The fact that you can't say that leaves us with a thread that says far, far more about you than it does about our former coach.

Reaction Score

I'm with zls on this. Wish him well and move on. Whether DOB really told him that or not is irrelevant. It comes across as though Edsall is trying to make the kid look bad.

He pulled the same garbage with Don Brown when he unnecessarily mentioned that his young daughter just had a baby. Garbage.

Reaction Score

Gotta agree with zls. Although factually and legally correct ... Did he really need to repeat that???

Eerily similar to this quote: "... Plus, his daughter had a baby, and she's 19. So he felt that he needed to go back home."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom