Three More, Including Danny O'Brien, Will Transfer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Three More, Including Danny O'Brien, Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Edsall loosely said "I'm disappointed Player A is leaving. He told me he didn't want to be here anymore and that he wants a fresh start. I wish him the best."

So what's the problem? Edsall can receive criticism for a lot of things, including his tendency to "throw players under the bus" at certain times. I don't think this quote warrants criticism though.

Reaction Score
Edsall didn't have to say anything. What he did say was self-serving. No surprise.

Reaction Score
The reason he's getting defensive and saying all this stuff is because he knows the crosshairs from the Maryland fanbase is directly on him. He can't just come out and say the QB, LG and a defensive player are leaving and allow people to think it's only because of him. He has to put his spin on it.
Now if the guy had a good first year, he could probably just say yeah they're leaving, I wish them well. They'll discuss why they're leaving. But he knows he doesn't have that luxury.

Reaction Score
It's Edsall's interpretation of what the kid says. Obviously player and coach don't see eye to eye if he's leaving, but it does Edsall no good to day "he doesn't believe in what I'm doing here".

It was Edsall's choice to air that, and it was childish and unprofessional. BL is dead wrong on this.

Reaction Score
There was an element of defensiveness that implied RE is all about the team and these guy's aren't. Don't forget, coaches get paid to be all about the team. I know he takes it personally but it comes across pretty clearly. Me good, you bad. And I'm not an Edsall hater, just one who appreciates what he did but was ready to move on.

Reaction Score
I ddin't like HCRE, so I will interpret everything he says/does so it fits my opinion of him.

As to the 3 kids, you might want to take notice of this quote from 2010 from the departing LB/DB

"I also talked to the coaches and hung out with Coach Brown a lot. He's like the coolest coach. He told me I'm his No. 1 cornerback and he's going to use me in press up coverage. I think I fit their system."

Reaction Score
I ddin't like HCRE, so I will interpret everything he says/does so it fits my opinion of him.

As to the 3 kids, you might want to take notice of this quote from 2010 from the departing LB/DB

"I also talked to the coaches and hung out with Coach Brown a lot. He's like the coolest coach. He told me I'm his No. 1 cornerback and he's going to use me in press up coverage. I think I fit their system."

Watching all 3 of our starting linebackers try to cover anyone, would love if he gave Coach Brown a call. A guy with that versatility would be great on passing downs.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i want to hear that all three of these guys are heading north!

Reaction Score
If it was an isolated comment, I would be with BL. But this is Randy's MO. The guy cannot help himself even in a prepared statement.

Reaction Score
It's Edsall's interpretation of what the kid says. Obviously player and coach don't see eye to eye if he's leaving, but it does Edsall no good to day "he doesn't believe in what I'm doing here".

It was Edsall's choice to air that, and it was childish and unprofessional. BL is dead wrong on this.

1. It wouldn't be the first time.

2. Having said that, read my prior two posts. I did not say it was good, bad or neutral for Edsall to have done that. What I said was ZLS unfairly took a quote out of context by pretending Edsall gave his opinion instead of repeating what O'Brien said. It says all that can be said about the hate left on this board towards our former coach that a post that is only about criticizing a poster can still be taken as a defense of Edall's actions. When I want to defend Edsall, or criticize him for that matter, I am perfectly capable of doing so. Whether you think Edsall should have repeated O'Brien's words or not, repeating them is still quite different than implying they are Edsall's words. Even if you hate Edsall, that is not reason/excuse for taking his quotes out of context.

Reaction Score
By the way....over/under on this thread....I'm setting it at 6 pages.
Since it's an topic that's been discussed before...the DOB story that is (though I still find it an interesting read)...I'm going with a 3-1/2 page post.

Reaction Score
1. It wouldn't be the first time.

2. Having said that, read my prior two posts. I did not say it was good, bad or neutral for Edsall to have done that. What I said was ZLS unfairly took a quote out of context by pretending Edsall gave his opinion instead of repeating what O'Brien said. It says all that can be said about the hate left on this board towards our former coach that a post that is only about criticizing a poster can still be taken as a defense of Edall's actions. When I want to defend Edsall, or criticize him for that matter, I am perfectly capable of doing so. Whether you think Edsall should have repeated O'Brien's words or not, repeating them is still quite different than implying they are Edsall's words. Even if you hate Edsall, that is not reason/excuse for taking his quotes out of context.

First, you're assuming that he means to quote O'Brien. Second, whether he's relaying O'Brien's feelings or not is irrelevant to the question of "should he have said anything?"

Reaction Score
I'm with zls on this. Wish him well and move on. Whether DOB really told him that or not is irrelevant. It comes across as though Edsall is trying to make the kid look bad.

He pulled the same garbage with Don Brown when he unnecessarily mentioned that his young daughter just had a baby. Garbage.

Telling the world that Don Brown's 18 year old daughter was pregnant was way over the line. That wasn't anyone's business.

Randy Edsall is an balloon knots for that.

Reaction Score
LOL. The proper response to my post was "Yes, you're right, he's still a schmuck but I took his words out of context." The fact that you can't say that leaves us with a thread that says far, far more about you than it does about our former coach.

Your criticism that the quote was out of context assumes that O'Brien in fact actually said what Edsall quoted him as saying: that he wasn't committed to the program. That's an absurd assumption to make. Most rational people don't quit their jobs to go work for someone else by telling their boss that they lack commitment. That's a character flaw. O'Brien probably said words to the effect of "I don't want to play for you" or maybe even "I don't think your program works". Edsall read that rejection of him and his methods as revealing a character flaw ("this kid just doesn't want to put in the work") which is why Edsall characterized what O'Brien said as he did. Frankly, I find few things more humorous that an unsuccessful narcissist making a jackass out of himself, but I would be pretty upset about this if I were O'Brien.

Reaction Score
We Love Him; We Hate Him.

I think some of us made the right call to let the past be just that. I won't quibble with the quote. But, it has been entirely Edsall's character to defuse the finger being pointed at him. Good coach? Sure. Really really smarmy public face. He can't help it.

Reaction Score
Here's what FCHRE had to say about kids leaving during his radio interview this past weekend on Sports Reporters. It's not an interview you'd have ever read when he was at UConn.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...02/08/gIQAH9DBzQ_blog.html?wprss=rss_colleges
"SC: When a kid says, “I’m leaving,” do you sit down and ask him why, or are you like, “Okay, there’s the door.”
RE: No, you have discussions. What I think what happens is, not everyone is gonna want to to work with your company. You know, when there’s change and when somebody comes in, and there’s things that go on, no everybody’s going to be happy with change. Not everybody’s going to like . . . if there’s accountability, if they’re held to a higher standard. That’s everyday life. That’s what happens in everyday life: When there's change, sometimes it’s tough for people to change, and sometimes people might not like where they’re at on the depth chart. My whole thing is when they come in, I sit down, hear what they say, listen to what they say, and then if they don’t feel like they can be happy in this organization, and they want to move on, then hey, they can do that. The thing is, I don’t think I’m any different than any other coach, any other manager, any other supervisor. If people don’t want to be here, and don’t think that they can be happy being here, you’re gonna have a very tough time of having a very good team because now your chemistry, the camaraderie, isn’t what it’s gonna need to be in order to be successful, and that’s not only in sports, that’s in any organization that you’re involved with."

Reaction Score
All 3 are not headed north - DOB has a man crush on Frnaklin and the OL is homesick and wants to go back to GA.

And the 3rd wants to play DB, not LB

Reaction Score
Telling the world that Don Brown's 18 year old daughter was pregnant was way over the line. That wasn't anyone's business.

Randy Edsall is an balloon knots for that.

I agree with that by the way. But how is it relevant to quoting someone out of context?

Reaction Score
I agree with that by the way. But how is it relevant to quoting someone out of context?

How do you know that Edsall's words weren't his translation of how the conversation went down? You're giving the benefit of the doubt to a guy with a proven track record of deflecting blame.

The Don Brown incident is relevant in terms of establishing a pattern of behavior.

I'll be curious to see what (if any) DOB's response is to Edsall's comment.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Boy these Edsall threads can be exhausting!

Reaction Score
Dan O'Brien is transferring. obviously he's not committed to the program or he wouldn't be leaving. why is Edsall a dick for saying this again? to me being a dick is not granting a release, or saying that he's leaving because he's not good enough.

BTW i hate myself for adding to this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom