The Open Championship | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Open Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gives an otherwise no storyline PGA in 3 weeks in Charlotte a major storyline.

Can Jordan get the career gland slam?

Reaction Score
You do realize there was a guy playing well sitting in the fairway while he got his bearing back right? Was not he not harmed?
He said he wasn't. He said he expected Spieth to take a lot of time. Said he felt great coming out of that hole.

But that's not going to matter to you, right?

Reaction Score
Vandevdle worst choke in sports history still, worse than Norman in '96 Masters

Dude has 3 stroke lead going into 18th and pulls driver out

Could have pulled hit 2 5 irons to green

Spieth's caddie would have never let that happen

Apparently you guys have never played golf in a tournament in a stressful situation. I played competitive golf in HS (was actually one of the best golfers in the state of CT my senior year). Trust me, when you hit a shot that bad, you don't want to take 20 minutes hitting your next shot. You're acting like this is basketball and the 20 minute breather he got gave him momentum. They guy had already made 4 bogies on the front side, he had zero momentum (and neither did Kuchar at that point by the way). For most normal human beings that 20 minute debacle would have caused us to unravel completely. Remember Jean Vandevelde? That guy lost The Open because he took way too much time overthinking what he was doing and he caved in. This isn't like basketball or football, Speith wasn't "icing" his opponent, he was trying not to lose the Open on a rules violation

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He said he wasn't. He said he expected Spieth to take a lot of time. Said he felt great coming out of that hole.

But that's not going to matter to you, right?

LOL. Aren't you that Frank Ivy idiot?

Matt Kuchar didn't say anything negative. The guy who sat in the fairway like he was waiting for his mommy to bring him a juice box. Shocking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Apparently you guys have never played golf in a tournament in a stressful situation. I played competitive golf in HS (was actually one of the best golfers in the state of CT my senior year). Trust me, when you hit a shot that bad, you don't want to take 20 minutes hitting your next shot. You're acting like this is basketball and the 20 minute breather he got gave him momentum. They guy had already made 4 bogies on the front side, he had zero momentum (and neither did Kuchar at that point by the way). For most normal human beings that 20 minute debacle would have caused us to unravel completely. Remember Jean Vandevelde? That guy lost The Open because he took way too much time overthinking what he was doing and he caved in. This isn't like basketball or football, Speith wasn't "icing" his opponent, he was trying not to lose the Open on a rules violation

Sure we can ignore the fact that we watched it unfold and the delay was not because of rule interpretation.

Did you watch it with SuperJohn?

Reaction Score
It's not his own set of rules. It wasn't an unprecedented event. Tiger hitting a ball on the roof of the club house wasn't resolved in a few minutes. Sure it wasn't a major, but this from ESPN: Figuring out where Woods should drop took so long that the group behind his was told to play through.
They want to get it right and the clock basically stops for extraordinary situations. He wasn't purposely wasting time - he was asking for rulings and figuring out where he could play from.

He certainly can't hit the ball before the officials figure it out.
Where exactly did the original shot lie? When I saw the shot it looked like it was buried on that steep hill (other side) but then he was down on the other practice area. In fact it looked liked the fans were hustling on the hill to surround his ball.

Was his shot not playable on the hill or did it land in the practice area behind the trailers?

Or was there another obstruction (i.e. line of sight)?

Reaction Score
The last group gets to do what it wants, its the way that it is. Last group typically plays slower. Kuchar wont say anything, he would have done the same thing. Speith is slow, so is Furyk, Jason Day, Jack was very slow and Tiger was later on, probably manipulating entire tournaments.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Where exactly did the original shot lie? When I saw the shot it looked like it was buried on that steep hill (other side) but then he was down on the other practice area. In fact it looked liked the fans were hustling on the hill to surround his ball.

Was his shot not playable on the hill or did it land in the practice area behind the trailers?

Or was there another obstruction (i.e. line of sight)?
I honestly just fast forwarded through most of it, but the ball did come to rest on the side of that hill in such a way, I don't know that he could possible get a club on it so it was called unplayable. He could go back to the tee or go back along the line, but going back on the line put a bunch of trailers and tents in the way. I'm sure they consider where to put those things so situations like this don't arise, but his drive was literally one of the worst I've ever seen by a pro at least 100 yards off line - hence bringing the carefully placed equipment into play after all. It took a while to evaluate the position and deem it unplayable and then a while to figure out where the line to go back was and then finally, where they could legally move it to in order to give him a shot not obstructed by temporary equipment and structures.

That's how I understood the situation. Someone probably has a better explanation (by the rules - obviously several people have a better explanation outside the rules),

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I honestly just fast forwarded through most of it, but the ball did come to rest on the side of that hill in such a way, I don't know that he could possible get a club on it so it was called unplayable. He could go back to the tee or go back along the line, but going back on the line put a bunch of trailers and tents in the way. I'm sure they consider where to put those things so situations like this don't arise, but his drive was literally one of the worst I've ever seen by a pro at least 100 yards off line - hence bringing the carefully placed equipment into play after all. It took a while to evaluate the position and deem it unplayable and then a while to figure out where the line to go back was and then finally, where they could legally move it to in order to give him a shot not obstructed by temporary equipment and structures.

That's how I understood the situation. Someone probably has a better explanation (by the rules - obviously several people have a better explanation outside the rules),

You hit the main points.

Horrible drive comes to rest on a hill. Takes one stroke for an unplayable.

Goes back along line of sight beyond golf equipment trailers to get more room to clear hill.

Reaction Score
My golf buddies would have made me play it on the hill (and vice versa), especially if money is on the line.

Of course I would have 'accidently' kicked my ball.

Reaction Score
Sure we can ignore the fact that we watched it unfold and the delay was not because of rule interpretation.

Did you watch it with SuperJohn?

You clearly don't watch much golf if what happened today really upset you that much. And yes, the delay was because of "rule interpretation" because he couldn't drop on the line of his shot due to equipment. I'll give you a little bit of a pass because NBC covered it very poorly because even they didn't know what was going on. If that bothered you, you shouldn't be watching golf.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My golf buddies would have made me play it on the hill (and vice versa), especially if money is on the line.

Fortunately you don't need anyone's permission to declare your ball unplayable. The player determines if his ball is unplayable.

Custom Search

Reaction Score
Fortunately you don't need anyone's permission to declare your ball unplayable. The player determines if his ball is unplayable.

Custom Search
I've got to find new golf buddies, or put a rule book in my bag.

Please help me out:

If I go back to the tee and re-hit my tee shot for an unplayable (not a provisional), am I now hitting my 2nd or 3rd shot?

Reaction Score

I finally watched it and yes this is what happened, just as I expected from the articles I read. Don't expect Whaler to come back and admit he was talking out of his arse.

Reaction Score

This is what Whaler expected Spieth to do.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You'd have to ask Kuchar why he sat on a knee in the fairway like a moron while it unfolded. Then accepted Speith's half-arsed apology with a big smile. The only surprise after it unfolded was that he didn't lose by more.
I'd love to understand what Speith did to you
Half-arsed apology - and you know this to be true
The only half-arsed thing I see is this anti-Speith crap you are spewing
and now Kuch is moron - LMAO

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd love to understand what Speith did to you
Half-arsed apology - and you know this to be true
The only half-arsed thing I see is this anti-Speith crap you are spewing
and now Kuch is moron - LMAO

Yawn. He punked Kuchar. Sitting there like a beta waiting for orange slices. Zero respect for that guy going forward.

Doubt it needs to be said but if you disagree with me that's a great thing. Broken clocks are right more often than you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I finally watched it and yes this is what happened, just as I expected from the articles I read. Don't expect Whaler to come back and admit he was talking out of his arse.

So you think he deserved 27 minutes to decide it was unplayable take a drop and hit.

Sure thing.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've got to find new golf buddies, or put a rule book in my bag.

Please help me out:

If I go back to the tee and re-hit my tee shot for an unplayable (not a provisional), am I now hitting my 2nd or 3rd shot?

If you declare a provisional on the tee shot, you can play it where you hit it. The provisional off the tee is your third shot. So, when you take your next stroke you are hitting four.

As for the rest, you still take a penalty stroke if you go all the way back to the tee.

With the R&A and USGA revamping the rule book, I really wish they would do away with ever returning to the tee box. I don't care if it's OB, in the water or another hazard, lost or unplayable. Find a drop spot no closer to the hole, add a penalty stroke and move on. No where in golf is it good for pace of play for players to search for a ball and then have to go back to the tee.

Rules and Decisions

Rule 28 - Ball Unplayable
Definitions
All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section - see pages 2235.

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a.

Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b.

Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c.

Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

Penalty for Breach of Rule:
Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

If you declare a provisional on the tee shot, you can play it where you hit it. The provisional off the tee is your third shot. So, when you take your next stroke you are hitting four.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You clearly don't watch much golf if what happened today really upset you that much. And yes, the delay was because of "rule interpretation" because he couldn't drop on the line of his shot due to equipment. I'll give you a little bit of a pass because NBC covered it very poorly because even they didn't know what was going on. If that bothered you, you shouldn't be watching golf.

Ok high school golf hero. Make up whatever you'd like: He didn't get an advantage getting a half hour to hit. That half hour advantage didn't hurt anyone.

The guy they wanted to win gets special rules and you as a golf hero think that's a good thing. Amazing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sure the guy was totally melting down - then took a 27 minute hiatus from hitting a ball and played perfect golf. Total coincidence.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Speith:
What a great champion Matt Kuchar is. I took 20 minutes to take one of my shots today and Matt took it in his stride and with a smile ... that says a lot about him

29 actually it turns out. Speith is right that it says a lot about Matt. Says he is a 39 year old who gets punked by a kid in the biggest spot in his career.

Stand there grinning while Speith is screaming Go Get It. What a 'great champion' to lay down like that.

Reaction Score
Ok high school golf hero. Make up whatever you'd like: He didn't get an advantage getting a half hour to hit. That half hour advantage didn't hurt anyone.

The guy they wanted to win gets special rules and you as a golf hero think that's a good thing. Amazing.

You really are making yourself look like a tool. Not a single person here agrees with you. If you don't like the rules of golf don't watch it and then post about it on a college bball message board. Speith made the right decision based on the rules to give himself the best chance to save from making a big number. Now take your pee brain to a thread where you might actually know something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom