The Open Championship | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Open Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So he could have hit the same shot in 5 minutes?
No, he couldn't. He was waiting on rulings. He hit the ball within 60 seconds of the official telling him where the drop spot was. He can't hit the ball before then. And again, it's not remotely unprecedented.

Reaction Score
You'd have to ask Kuchar why he sat on a knee in the fairway like a moron while it unfolded. Then accepted Speith's half-arsed apology with a big smile. The only surprise after it unfolded was that he didn't lose by more.
Sounds like a problem with golf. Just one of the reasons I find the sport boring and tedious, way too many rules. Sounds like it took a half hour because it was a rules debate and Spieth broke no rules. Not sure why you're going off on Spieth and not the tour.

Reaction Score
So he could have hit the same shot in 5 minutes? Why didn't he do it then? The amount of time he was allowed wasn't an advantage? Just stop - that's ridiculous.

There's a reason these guys take their time when it involves rules interpretation (which is what caused this delay). Go back and look at the 2010 PGA...if Dustin Johnson had taken more time and asked someone about his lie, he would've won that tournament. Kuchar wasn't upset because he knew this could have just as easily happened to him...it's part of the game. For those of you comparing golf to basketball, just stop you're making yourselves look stupid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, he couldn't. He was waiting on rulings. He hit the ball within 60 seconds of the official telling him where the drop spot was. He can't hit the ball before then. And again, it's not remotely unprecedented.

So like I said the R&A was in the wrong?

They invented the rules but don't know them. Makes sense.

How long did they let Speith look at the initial lie? Yeah no chance for him to calm down knowing that he was never going to play that shot.

Reaction Score
He's was not waiting on rulings; he was looking for the best place to take the drop.

If anyone is saying that what happened today is routine, they're wrong.
What rule was broken?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spieth's mid-round recovery makes the win even more impressive. Very few players have the ability to spin around a round of golf. Rory did it on day 1. Went out +5 on front nine and shot -4 on the back.

Those last five holes by Spieth will forever be a part of golf lore and legend and will be talked about 50 years from now much like Arnie charge Cherry Hills in the 1960 US Open and Jack's back 9 in 1986 at Augusta.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What rule was broken?

It wasn't a broken rule; he knew he had a one stroke penalty. The rules of golf give players multiple options on unplayable lies. A reality is that the equipment staged on a golf course including the grand stands, TV equipment and other gear make for complicated situations no one outside the pros have to deal with for decisions.

Reaction Score
It wasn't a broken rule; he knew he had a one stroke penalty. The rules of golf give players multiple options on unplayable lies. A reality is that the equipment staged on a golf course including the grand stands, TV equipment and other gear make for complicated situations no one outside the pros have to deal with for decisions.
Exactlty, that's why I don't understand what Whaler and Fishy are arguing. I don't watch much golf but have watched enough to see when a player hits it in a really strange spot there is all sorts of different scenarios discussed and you better have the rules officals out there with you to discuss every possible rule.

I've heard of and seen guys lose tournaments because they didn't take enough time with officials and not knowing the long and complicated rule book. I saw Dustin Johnson lose a major for grounding his club in a sand trap when the entire course was one big sand trap.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
BTW, on a coolnees factor NBC showed this pic during yesterday's coverage.

Chilling in Cabo between Traveler's win and The Open.

PHOTOS: Jordan Spieth's pre-British Open vacation in Cabo

That would be Michael Phelps, Spieth, Russell Wilson, Dwight Freeny, MJ and Freddie Couples.

jordan-spieth-michael-phelps-michael-jordan-russell-wilson-fred-couples.jpg

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactlty, that's why I don't understand what Whaler and Fishy are arguing. I don't watch much golf but have watched enough to see when a player hits it in a really strange spot there is all sorts of different scenarios discussed and you better have the rules officals out there with you to discuss every possible rule.

I've heard of and seen guys lose tournaments because they didn't take enough time with officials and not knowing the long and complicated rule book. I saw Dustin Johnson lose a major for grounding his club in a sand trap when the entire course was one big sand trap.

Because when you are melting down the organization shouldn't allow you 27 minutes to recover while your opponent is sitting in the fairway.

Maybe try watching it before having such a strong opinion. They would have given him an hour if he wanted it.

The idea that this was 27 minutes of ruling delay is nonsense.

Reaction Score
He's was not waiting on rulings; he was looking for the best place to take the drop.

If anyone is saying that what happened today is routine, they're wrong.

Yes he was waiting on a ruling. He couldn't drop the ball directly on the line it needed to be dropped because of trailers/equipment in the way. He was waiting on officials to tell him where he could legally drop his ball. I suppose he could have done the alternative and dropped it wherever the hell he wanted only to get DQed when he signed his score card and they ruled he dropped his ball in an incorrect location.

Reaction Score
Because when you are melting down the organization shouldn't allow you 27 minutes to recover while your opponent is sitting in the fairway.

Maybe try watching it before having such a strong opinion. They would have given him an hour if he wanted it.

The idea that this was 27 minutes of ruling delay is nonsense.
Strong opinion? All I've asked is what rules were broken. From my understanding of the situation it seems you should have a problem with golf and not Spieth. You seem to have extremely strong opinions about Spieth though.

Reaction Score
I find myself agreeing with John here, and I never agree with that guy. Bonus.

In terms of being a bad look for golf, too funny. Spieth's comeback was the best look golf's had since his choke job at the Masters.

He probably won't ever get to Tiger's TV draw level, but make no mistake - the guy is great for golf.

And when your nickname is "Cooch" you've gotta expect to get screwed on occasion. Too much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Strong opinion? All I've asked is what rules were broken. From my understanding of the situation it seems you should have a problem with golf and not Spieth. You seem to have extremely strong opinions about Spieth though.

You have posted 10 times about something you haven't watched. Obviously the only rule is 'undue delay'. Nobody with the R&A had any interest in defining that.

I dislike the way this was handled by the R&A. I dislike the pace at which Speith plays in general but don't have any strong opinion about him either way.

I dislike the fawning everyone is doing over his recovery while ignoring he took a half hour to hit a shot. I dislike the rank hypocricy because people want him to win.

Think about that for just one second - he took a half of an hour to play his second shot. Yet because people wanted him to win it's fine and dandy.

Had Monty beat an American after taking a half hour to hit a shot in that situation trust me nobody would be making excuses for him.

Reaction Score
Apparently you don't watch golf very often. It is EXTREMELY rare to get put on the clock. Even with all the delays and the 20 minute shot they played in exactly 4 hours. The average hacker playing fast in a cart doesn't play that fast, so let's keep it all in perspective.
He was warned during the front 9, if a group falls over a full hole behind, which they were before that absurd delay, they can be put on the clock, it would never happen in that situation or any major unless its the Masters and you are a 14 year old Chinesse kid, had it been the Honda Classic and he was an early group strong chance they would have been on the clock.

Reaction Score
You have posted 10 times about something you haven't watched. Obviously the only rule is 'undue delay'. Nobody with the R&A had any interest in defining that.

I dislike the way this was handled by the R&A. I dislike the pace at which Speith plays in general but don't have any strong opinion about him either way.

I dislike the fawning everyone is doing over his recovery while ignoring he took a half hour to hit a shot. I dislike the rank hypocricy because people want him to win.

Think about that for just one second - he took a half of an hour to play his second shot. Yet because people wanted him to win it's fine and dandy.

Had Monty beat an American after taking a half hour to hit a shot in that situation trust me nobody would be making excuses for him.

Just because you watched it and he didn't doesn't make you right...you're still wrong

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just because you watched it and he didn't doesn't make you right...you're still wrong

I'm not but then again I'm not interpreting rules based on who I want to win.

It is fun to have someone who didn't watch have a strong opinion on it. Maybe next time he can take an hour and a half and have soup and a sandwich delivered.

Reaction Score
He was warned during the front 9, if a group falls over a full hole behind, which they were before that absurd delay, they can be put on the clock, it would never happen in that situation or any major unless its the Masters and you are a 14 year old Chinesse kid, had it been the Honda Classic and he was an early group strong chance they would have been on the clock.

You also realize there was no one else even in the tournament at that point? Everyone else was 4-5 shots behind. It wasn't just them playing slow, the groups in front of them weren't exactly playing for first and they knew it...if they had been they would have been playing at a slower pace as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

And after they were three holes behind.

That is fine though - because the guy they wanted to win won.

I can't wait until some of these folks are crying about favortism when it is against them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You also realize there was no one else even in the tournament at that point? Everyone else was 4-5 shots behind. It wasn't just them playing slow, the groups in front of them weren't exactly playing for first and they knew it...if they had been they would have been playing at a slower pace as well.

You do realize there was a guy playing well sitting in the fairway while he got his bearing back right? Was not he not harmed? There was also a guy in the clubhouse only 2 back of Speith. Was he not harmed?

Just say I don't give a crap about the sport because the guy I wanted to win won.

That's a bit better than this garbage.

Reaction Score
I'm not but then again I'm not interpreting rules based on who I want to win.

It is fun to have someone who didn't watch have a strong opinion on it. Maybe next time he can take an hour and a half and have soup and a sandwich delivered.
Again, what is my strong opinion? I've only read about it and asked questions here. As I keep saying it seems you should be taking umbrage with golf and not the player.

I could care less who wins but would have preferred Kuchar since he's older, has never won, and is a nice guy.

Reaction Score
You do realize there was a guy playing well sitting in the fairway while he got his bearing back right? Was not he not harmed? There was also a guy in the clubhouse only 2 back of Speith. Was he not harmed?

Just say I don't give a crap about the sport because the guy I wanted to win won.

That's a bit better than this garbage.

Apparently you guys have never played golf in a tournament in a stressful situation. I played competitive golf in HS (was actually one of the best golfers in the state of CT my senior year). Trust me, when you hit a shot that bad, you don't want to take 20 minutes hitting your next shot. You're acting like this is basketball and the 20 minute breather he got gave him momentum. They guy had already made 4 bogies on the front side, he had zero momentum (and neither did Kuchar at that point by the way). For most normal human beings that 20 minute debacle would have caused us to unravel completely. Remember Jean Vandevelde? That guy lost The Open because he took way too much time overthinking what he was doing and he caved in. This isn't like basketball or football, Speith wasn't "icing" his opponent, he was trying not to lose the Open on a rules violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom