The Open Championship | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Open Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is it fair to Kucher that he had to stand around for 25 minutes while Speith figured his way out of a disastrous shot?

Yeah it doesn't seem fair that you can take 15x the amount of time just because you hit a horrendous shot. You get a min or two to hit your shot. But because you missed the fairway by 100 yards now you get 25?

If spieth had three min to hit his shot there is no way he comes back. Instead he gets a half hour and he hasn't hit a bad shot since.

Reaction Score
And earlier in the day people were calling him a choker. It's beyond me how anyone can think Spieth is a choker.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And earlier in the day people were calling him a choker. It's beyond me how anyone can think Spieth is a choker.

He was hitting plenty of horrible shots. He got to +3 for a reason.

Reaction Score
As poorly as he played early in the round, has certainly made up for it. Completely manned up to finish this off.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Speith is an amazing golfer- barring any catastrophic event(s) has the very ideal chance to be the best ever

Reaction Score
Incredible finish by Speith, a Open championship well deserved.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know what the exact right answer is but you can't let someone take 25-27 minutes to hit. Makes a mockery of the sport.

If he is tied for the lead but not the last group can you stand there all day like you are directing scenes in La La Land?

He should have been gonged off the course and no one with the R&A was even interested in forcing him to make a decision or hit the damn ball.

Kuchar is way too nice. I would have set the fairway on fire and pissed on his ball.

Kuchar is kneeling on a towel like Speith was getting carted off with a neck injury. He should have been firing balls at him.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the exact right answer is but you can't let someone take 25-27 minutes to hit. Makes a mockery of the sport.

If he is tied for the lead but not the last group can you stand there all day like you are directing scenes in La La Land?

He should have been gonged off the course and no one with the R&A was even interested in forcing him to make a decision or hit the damn ball.

Kuchar is way too nice. I would have set the fairway on fire and pissed on his ball.
If he was not in the last group he would have been put on the clock in the front 9. He took 58 seconds over a 2 foot putt on the 8th hole I believe.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If he was not in the last group he would have been put on the clock in the front 9. He took 58 seconds over a 2 foot putt on the 8th hole I believe.

This is just going to get ignored because everyone involved wants Speith to win but it's a joke.

Reaction Score
Right. Because most people watching the game want to see players hit the best shots they can hit, not be forced into a shot - particularly when it's the last group at the biggest event.
There have been 3 penalties on the PGA tour in 20 years for time violation.
So the applied rule is that there is no rule with teeth.

I am surprised and very happy about the Spieth hate some people have shown.

Guy is doing everything right and he's not a P.O.S. human being like Woods, and some people already hate the guy.

Better yet, some people are already saying that's "he's no Tiger."

Yeah, be cautious with that prophecy - it may end up just like one where Tiger was going to win the most majors ever.

Spieth is an awesome golfer, and the most interesting thing to happen to golf since Tiger ended his career getting 9-ironed by his hot nordic wife.

SWEET!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Right. Because most people watching the game want to see players hit the best shots they can hit, not be forced into a shot - particularly when it's the last group at the biggest event.
There have been 3 penalties on the PGA tour in 20 years for time violation.
So the applied rule is that there is no rule with teeth.

I am surprised and very happy about the Spieth hate some people have shown.

Guy is doing everything right and he's not a P.O.S. human being like Woods, and some people already hate the guy.

Better yet, some people are already saying that's "he's no Tiger."

Yeah, be cautious with that prophecy - it may end up just like one where Tiger was going to win the most majors ever.

Spieth is an awesome golfer, and the most interesting thing to happen to golf since Tiger ended his career getting 9-ironed by his hot nordic wife.

SWEET!

You like Speith so he gets his own rules. Solid analysis. Thanks.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's not his own set of rules. It wasn't an unprecedented event. Tiger hitting a ball on the roof of the club house wasn't resolved in a few minutes. Sure it wasn't a major, but this from ESPN: Figuring out where Woods should drop took so long that the group behind his was told to play through.
They want to get it right and the clock basically stops for extraordinary situations. He wasn't purposely wasting time - he was asking for rulings and figuring out where he could play from.

He certainly can't hit the ball before the officials figure it out.

Reaction Score

Apparently you don't watch golf very often. It is EXTREMELY rare to get put on the clock. Even with all the delays and the 20 minute shot they played in exactly 4 hours. The average hacker playing fast in a cart doesn't play that fast, so let's keep it all in perspective.

Reaction Score
I wasn't watching but you guys are saying Spieth took 25 minutes to hit a shot. I would imagine he broke a rule or if golf let's you take close to a half hour to hit shots that's on golf. Sounds like it's a golf problem and no rule was broken.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not his own set of rules. It wasn't an unprecedented event. Tiger hitting a ball on the roof of the club house wasn't resolved in a few minutes. Sure it wasn't a major, but this from ESPN: Figuring out where Woods should drop took so long that the group behind his was told to play through.
They want to get it right and the clock basically stops for extraordinary situations. He wasn't purposely wasting time - he was asking for rulings and figuring out where he could play from.

He certainly can't hit the ball before the officials figure it out.

LOL. Yeah sure. That's what happened here - poor Jordan didn't get clarity on the rules fast enough to make a decision. Then he didn't take 10-15 minutes to hit the ball after making his decision.

Speith purposely wastes time on every single hole he plays.

When someone is on the ropes and you give him a half hour to recover because he is favored by the organizations you taint your events even if only a small percentage of people realize it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I wasn't watching but you guys are saying Spieth took 25 minutes to hit a shot. I would imagine he broke a rule or if golf let's you take close to a half hour to hit shots that's on golf. Sounds like it's a golf problem and no rule was broken.

That's my point they allowed him 27 minutes because if who he is - in a critical moment when he was melting and it allowed him to regain his composure.

It would be like giving someone a 10 minute time out in NCAA tourney game when they are on the wrong end of a 9-0 run.

Reaction Score
That's my point they allowed him 27 minutes because if who he is - in a critical moment when he was melting and it allowed him to regain his composure.

It would be like giving someone a 10 minute time out in NCAA tourney game when they are on the wrong end of a 9-0 run.
Are there no rules about time between shots? If there are why doesn't Kuchar or someone else just challenge that the rule was broken.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
LOL. Yeah sure. That's what happened here - poor Jordan didn't get clarity on the rules fast enough to make a decision. Then he didn't take 10-15 minutes to hit the ball after making his decision.

Speith purposely wastes time on every single hole he plays.

When someone is on the ropes and you give him a half hour to recover because he is favored by the organizations you taint your events even if only a small percentage of people realize it.
You are probably right. That 23 minutes or so where he was moving crowds, running up and down a huge hill and getting ready to hit a totally blind shot over a 35 foot high mound to a green protected with pot bunkers from 240 yards with his Open Championship on the line were quite calming.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In short this the perfect Boneyard thread:

A message board that is clogged with complaints that schools like Kentucky and North Carolina as well as coaches like Cal and Pitino are given special dispensation by their governing organizations having no problem with that same type of favoritism when it's shown for their horse.

I look forward to the next 10 page thread crying about the APR or Syracuse's lack of sanctions. It will stand as a nice reminder that many only have a problem with the NCAA because they don't play the same favorites they do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You are probably right. That 23 minutes or so where he was moving crowds, running up and down a huge hill and getting ready to hit a totally blind shot over a 35 foot high mound to a green protected with pot bunkers from 240 yards with his Open Championship on the line were quite calming.

So he could have hit the same shot in 5 minutes? Why didn't he do it then? The amount of time he was allowed wasn't an advantage? Just stop - that's ridiculous.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are there no rules about time between shots? If there are why doesn't Kuchar or someone else just challenge that the rule was broken.

You'd have to ask Kuchar why he sat on a knee in the fairway like a moron while it unfolded. Then accepted Speith's half-arsed apology with a big smile. The only surprise after it unfolded was that he didn't lose by more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom