The Open Championship | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The Open Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure the guy was totally melting down - then took a 27 minute hiatus from hitting a ball and played perfect golf. Total coincidence.

Right. Why is it so hard for people to understand this?

Spieth was hitting bad shots all day and never turned it around. But its just a total coincidence that he turns it around completely after taking A HALF HOUR to regroup.

Before the delay: +3 in 12 holes
After: -5 in 5 holes.

Yeah, I doubt that HALF HOUR delay had anything to do with it.

ts absurd. And I'm not saying Spieth broke any rules. Its just that the rules are really really dumb.

Reaction Score
It was a critical shot in a major championship and it wasn't a routine hole. Blind shot, dunes, etc.
Kuchar didn't lose the tourney from the delay, Spieth just played 5 great holes after that.
If Kuch makes that birdie putt on 13 and has a 2 stroke lead would have been interesting to see how it went then.
Who's saying it decided anything.....Speith would have won anyway probably but whether it was a critical shot in a major doesn't matter, it took way too long and he should have been asked & he could have been asked to move it along. You don't get all day to decide how to play a horrific shot, major or not you aren't allowed to take that much time but they let him so it's on them.

Reaction Score
Rory was off on his irons a bunch today. I know there is wind but he was over and under clubbing by 1-2 clubs on a few holes each day. One thing you will always notice about players on the top of the leaderboard each week- their distance control is impeccable. Rory didn't have that and still had a top-5.

And Spieth is much more Arnie than Jansen.
Comparing Speith to Lee Janzen is really something even for JSM. Lee Janzen was a middling player who won 2 majors in the post Jack/pre Tiger era. Spieth has more top 5s in majors than Janzen has top 10s in 37 less events.

Reaction Score
I didn't compare their records or accomplishments, more their styles of play.

Spieth wins because of his short game, rarely misses an up-n-down and is as good a putter as we've ever seen.

Comparing Speith to Lee Janzen is really something even for JSM. Lee Janzen was a middling player who won 2 majors in the post Jack/pre Tiger era. Spieth has more top 5s in majors than Janzen has top 10s in 37 less events.

Reaction Score
I didn't compare their records or accomplishments, more their styles of play.

Spieth wins because of his short game, rarely misses an up-n-down and is as good a putter as we've ever seen.
Currently Speith is statistically the best iron player in the world, his driver is his weak point, Jordan won this week because he was 3rd in GIRs and made some long putts when he had to.

Reaction Score
It wasn't as simple as just an unplayable lie ruling. After the unplayable decision, they had to decide if the area in back of him for a drop (the range) was in bounds or not. Usually they are not at tournaments, but in this case it was since it is for Birkdale members. Then they had to find a spot within the line of site for the drop, but that was blocked by trucks and trailers. Since those were decided to be temporary immovable objects, they then had to decide on an alternate drop area away from the objects.

So in order for him to play his shot, they had to evaluate 3-4 different rules in sequence. While it felt like a long time, 20-25 minutes isn't crazy considering the number of different rules that had to be evaluated. He had every right to take an unplayable lie, they amount of time to make all the other rulings was largely out of his control, and the R&A want going to rush an important and unusually complicated set of rulings.

I was pulling for Kuch, but I also like Spieth, and he deserved the win based on his play in the closing holes. That's what champions do.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It wasn't as simple as just an unplayable lie ruling. After the unplayable decision, they had to decide if the area in back of him for a drop (the range) was in bounds or not. Usually they are not at tournaments, but in this case it was since it is for Birkdale members. Then they had to find a spot within the line of site for the drop, but that was blocked by trucks and trailers. Since those were decided to be temporary immovable objects, they then had to decide on an alternate drop area away from the objects.

So in order for him to play his shot, they had to evaluate 3-4 different rules in sequence. While it felt like a long time, 20-25 minutes isn't crazy considering the number of different rules that had to be evaluated. He had every right to take an unplayable lie, they amount of time to make all the other rulings was largely out of his control, and the R&A want going to rush an important and unusually complicated set of rulings.

I was pulling for Kuch, but I also like Spieth, and he deserved the win based on his play in the closing holes. That's what champions do.

Thanks so much for the clarification/explanation, though it won't satisfy or be acceptable for some:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I'd take DJ's, Day's, Rickie's, Kaymer's, Matusayama's over his without thinking more about it

Currently Speith is statistically the best iron player in the world, his driver is his weak point, Jordan won this week because he was 3rd in GIRs and made some long putts when he had to.

Reaction Score
Maybe, but I'd take DJ's, Day's, Rickie's, Kaymer's, Matusayama's over his without thinking more about it
But you also think Bryce Harper sucks, Les Miles won a title with Saban's players, Kris Bryant is not clutch, ect. ect.. So I guess it makes sense that you would take Kaymer, who has been ranked inside the top 100 on SG approaches once in the last 5 years, over Speith. JSM gonna JSM.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You'd be out a bunch of money on any of them against Spieth. Jason Day is the only one who has the complete game to consistently outperform Spieth but his health is literally and figuratively hurting him.

Reaction Score
You'd be out a bunch of money on any of them against Spieth. Jason Day is the only one who has the complete game to consistently outperform Spieth but his health is literally and figuratively hurting him.
Dustin and Rory's A games are on another tier above Spieth or Day.

There is a reason why DJ has more wins, more top 10s in majors, more money, more world ranking points, ect. than Speith over the last 2 seasons. That includes missing a major when he was on a different planet than anyone else with his game at the time.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dustin and Rory's A games are on another tier above Spieth or Day.

There is a reason why DJ has more wins, more top 10s in majors, more money, more world ranking points, ect. than Speith over the last 2 seasons. That includes missing a major when he was on a different planet than anyone else with his game at the time.

Last two seasons?

Are you conveniently leaving out Spieth's 1,1,4,2 major finishes in 2015?

DJ and Rory have 4-5 years on Spieth as pros and he's way beyond DJ and on a faster pace than Rory.

Right now on the race to the grand slam, only Jack has been better.

What Spieth has been able to do is compartmentalize his poor driving and not let it bleed over in to his irons, short game and putting. Only Day is close in that regard. DJ and Rory still compound errors in their game.

Reaction Score
Never said Harper or Bryant suck, would never pay $35M for either, especially and overrated Bryant

Bro, the response was about their iron games, not everything

When Kaymer is going he, Day & DJ are the 3 most dominant players. But they are widely inconsistent

But you also think Bryce Harper sucks, Les Miles won a title with Saban's players, Kris Bryant is not clutch, ect. ect.. So I guess it makes sense that you would take Kaymer, who has been ranked inside the top 100 on SG approaches once in the last 5 years, over Speith. JSM gonna JSM.

Reaction Score
Last two seasons?

Are you conveniently leaving out Spieth's 1,1,4,2 major finishes in 2015?

DJ and Rory have 4-5 years on Spieth as pros and he's way beyond DJ and on a faster pace than Rory.

Right now on the race to the grand slam, only Jack has been better.

What Spieth has been able to do is compartmentalize his poor driving and not let it bleed over in to his irons, short game and putting. Only Day is close in that regard. DJ and Rory still compound errors in their game.
You said now, not talking career, obviously Speith accomplished more at his age and is on a historic pace, but DJ has finally focused and put his other issues aside and you are seeing his complete game and prime right now. If you actually think Speith's A game is better than DJ's A game right now you are on an island and not one golf expert would agree with you. Nor would the results or the statistics.

Speith has not had a top 10 in a major since the 2016 Masters before this weekend, and go compare their performances at the WGC events. Not. Close.

PS - That 2015 year DJ had 3 top 7s in majors and won a WGC event.

Reaction Score
Never said Harper or Bryant suck, would never pay $35M for either, especially and overrated Bryant

Bro, the response was about their iron games, not everything

When Kaymer is going he, Day & DJ are the 3 most dominant players. But they are widely inconsistent
Bro, my response was about irons. Kaymer has been ranked in the top 100 in SG approaches over the last 5 years.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You said now, not talking career, obviously Speith accomplished more at his age and is on a historic pace, but DJ has finally focused and put his other issues aside and you are seeing his complete game and prime right now. If you actually think Speith's A game is better than DJ's A game right now you are on an island and not one golf expert would agree with you. Nor would the results or the statistics.

Speith has not had a top 10 in a major since the 2016 Masters before this weekend, and go compare their performances at the WGC events. Not. Close.

PS - That 2015 year DJ had 3 top 7s in majors and won a WGC event.

You are beginning to sound like a Syracuse fan comparing programs.

You have already conceded Jordan had a better 2015.

So far in 2017, they both have 3 wins, Spieth is up 1-0 in majors, Spieth has won more money and Spieth has a lower stroke average.

Reaction Score
You are beginning to sound like a Syracuse fan comparing programs.

You have already conceded Jordan had a better 2015.

So far in 2017, they both have 3 wins, Spieth is up 1-0 in majors, Spieth has won more money and Spieth has a lower stroke average.
If you breaking it down solely on results then your Jason Day comparison is laughable.

We are talking right now, 3 years ago is a long time in golf, but fine. Their scoring average over the last 3 seasons is almost identical at 69.2 and 69.5. By the way this is not a knock on Speith, he, DJ, Rory, and Hideki are the 4 best players in the game, Brooks and Rickie are right there as well.

Reaction Score

Who can forget Federer being maybe the 5th best tennis player of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom