The Open Championship | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Open Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Player decides. That's part of the reason why the ruling timing is nonsense. He spent 10-15 minutes deciding it was unplayable not needing a ruling from anyone.

No, I think they decided it was unplayable pretty quickly. Figuring out where to drop the ball with the guidelines of the rules took the most time.

Reaction Score
Was there any amount of time at which you'd say Speith has to hit a ball.

An hour? 2 hours? At what point does the R&A force him to play a shot?

Threatening an ignore - wow that's brave. I hope no one has ignored you and missed out on your inside recruiting info or crying about basketball officals.
So you've agreed with me the whole time. If you have a problem it's with golf, Spieth did nothing wrong.

The rambling posts insulting everyone probably weren't necessary.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So you've agreed with me the whole time. If you have a problem it's with golf, Spieth did nothing wrong.

I flat out replied to one of your posts saying that the R&A was the issue allowing Speith 29 minutes.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I didn't mean to lump you in with the morans - many apologies.

Conspiracy is strong - but I do not doubt that the PGA, NBC, R&A have players they favor. It's a for-profit endevor and the Travelers had similar ratings to the US Open because Speith was here. There aren't many on the list that move the needle right now but him and Rory are at the top of the list.

I think it was nonsense that the R&A allowed that to take 29 minutes. I think it's nonsense that people would claim it didn't advantage Speith (can you do that while ignoring what happened after).

Kuchar was a total punk - sitting in the fairway like a child and then grinning like a fool for the rest of the round. The 'apology' was a joke. Just a beta getting b-slapped by an alpha.

I'm being a jerk about it because it was obvious that the same people claiming that Kuchar wasn't disadvantaged (outside perhaps you) would be the same people that constantly cry about Cal, Pitino, Duke, UNC, Syracuse etc. Total hypocrites who post biased nonsense.

Since you reengaged and I respect you I'll let it go - but I do believe that 29 minutes to hit a ball was ridiculous and a huge advantage and it's only because it's a tour golden boy nobody seems to think it's an issue.
Thanks for the rational post - it's appreciated.

I will agree that 27, 29 minutes was ridiculously long. It could have and should have been much shorter. I will disagree that it helped Spieth. He certainly didn't hit a quality shot from there - he hit it fat and was lucky to bound just out of massive trouble. His next chip wasn't exactly the quality we are used to seeing from him although certainly not bad. The 7 or 8 footer was clutch and the actual start of putting him back on track which I believe had nothing to do with the 20something minute delay.

I don't know what else Kuch is supposed to do. Golf is a gentlemen's game and there is no other response that would be tolerated by his peers or most fans.

So - I'll disengage too now.

Reaction Score
HE was waiting for the R&A pee brain, not the other way around. You realize yet why your arguments are so stupid?
He does, that's why he's been posting about Kentucky & Cuse, while insulting Kuchar and everyone else who disagrees with him.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Now back to golf - seriously. Enough slinging insults by everyone. About the Open or I'll just delete it.

Reaction Score
Just think if Spieth ever straitens out his driver, he hit very few fairways and still managed to win. He has the potential to be as good or better than anyone that has played the game.

Reaction Score
Quite the opposite: Fishy has credible opinions based on his posts. When Fishy disagrees with me on something I consider I may be wrong.

Getting lectured about rules and officals by those who claim UConn plays 8 on 5 or every call is in favor of the P5 - sort of makes them not all that credible when it comes to officiating decisions.

If you want to treat everyone's opinion the same knock yourself out.
Actually if Fishy agrees with one of my posts I'm forced to rethink my position.
Seriously Whaler when exactly did you ever think you were wrong ? That's Blasphemy.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Actually if Fishy agrees with one of my posts I'm forced to rethink my position.
Seriously Whaler when exactly did you ever think you were wrong ? That's Blasphemy.

Nobody thinks they are wrong otherwise why would they think something?

You can find out later what you thought was wrong but if you thought your were wrong wouldn't you just change your mind?

Reaction Score

Exactly. Don't hate the player hate the game. The officials aren't going to mess with a final group in the back nine anyway.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactly. Don't hate the player hate the game. The officials aren't going to mess with a final group in the back nine anyway.

That's where I disagree. I hope some day we see Patrick Reed take a half hour to hit a ball while a meal ticket stands in the fairway.

If Montgomery was Speith and Kuchar was Phil - the reaction would be 180 degrees.

Reaction Score
He's basically a much better version of Lee Janzen

Just shows, short game dominates, DJ & Rory can't putt

I thought 2-3 years ago Day would be great, but he seems out of it, almost like he lost interest. Has more $$ than he'll ever need, still motivated?

Just think if Spieth ever straitens out his driver, he hit very few fairways and still managed to win. He has the potential to be as good or better than anyone that has played the game.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the rational post - it's appreciated.

I will agree that 27, 29 minutes was ridiculously long. It could have and should have been much shorter. I will disagree that it helped Spieth. He certainly didn't hit a quality shot from there - he hit it fat and was lucky to bound just out of massive trouble. His next chip wasn't exactly the quality we are used to seeing from him although certainly not bad. The 7 or 8 footer was clutch and the actual start of putting him back on track which I believe had nothing to do with the 20something minute delay.

I don't know what else Kuch is supposed to do. Golf is a gentlemen's game and there is no other response that would be tolerated by his peers or most fans.

So - I'll disengage too now.

What I disagree most with is the idea that it was allowed because it was Spieth, as if any other guy leading the Open Championship on the back nine on Sunday wouldn't be afforded the same leeway. That is ridiculous on its face.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I thought 2-3 years ago Day would be great, but he seems out of it, almost like he lost interest. Has more $$ than he'll ever need, still motivated?

Rory was off on his irons a bunch today. I know there is wind but he was over and under clubbing by 1-2 clubs on a few holes each day. One thing you will always notice about players on the top of the leaderboard each week- their distance control is impeccable. Rory didn't have that and still had a top-5.

And Spieth is much more Arnie than Jansen.

Reaction Score
Yawn. He punked Kuchar. Sitting there like a beta waiting for orange slices. Zero respect for that guy going forward.

I'm not a big fan of Speith and completely agreed with you that he took way too much time on a ruling that is not that complicated (made worse because he is painfully slow in normal situations) but this post is awful on multiple levels and you've repeated it since. I wonder what a tough alpha like yourself expected the meek beta Kuchar to do in that situation?

Reaction Score
Obviously I had the main villain in this thread "Ignored" so I'd love to hear what the brunt of his/hers argument was?

Reaction Score
It was a bizarre situation and it was handled poorly by all involved except Kuchar. Speith had already been asked to speed up play so keep that in mind. Once the ball was found give him 2 minutes to determine if unplayable, give him 5 minutes to determine where he wants to drop and after that it becomes "undue delay"& then once he has dropped give him 2 minutes to play the shot....should have taken 10 minutes tops to play the shot, not 20.

Speith re-designed the hole within the rules to suit his needs, which is fine but he took twice as long as he should have and he should have been told to get going.

He put on a display from 14 on and would have still won assuming he just double bogeyed 13 but 20 minutes to play a shot is just silly. Speith is a great player but they gave him way too much leeway.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Obviously I had the main villain in this thread "Ignored" so I'd love to hear what the brunt of his/hers argument was?
If you are ignoring Whaler11, yes Mau you missed most all of the BS
He is ranting on Speith and the 20 minute delay
About the only sane thing he has said is: I'm being a jerk about it because
He's just bashing everyone who hints at disagreement with him - except Fishy
But that's ok because I won't be reading anymore of his BS:cool::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It was a critical shot in a major championship and it wasn't a routine hole. Blind shot, dunes, etc.

Kuchar didn't lose the tourney from the delay, Spieth just played 5 great holes after that.

If Kuch makes that birdie putt on 13 and has a 2 stroke lead would have been interesting to see how it went then.

It was a bizarre situation and it was handled poorly by all involved except Kuchar. Speith had already been asked to speed up play so keep that in mind. Once the ball was found give him 2 minutes to determine if unplayable, give him 5 minutes to determine where he wants to drop and after that it becomes "undue delay"& then once he has dropped give him 2 minutes to play the shot....should have taken 10 minutes tops to play the shot, not 20.

Speith re-designed the hole within the rules to suit his needs, which is fine but he took twice as long as he should have and he should have been told to get going.

He put on a display from 14 on and would have still won assuming he just double bogeyed 13 but 20 minutes to play a shot is just silly. Speith is a great player but they gave him way too much leeway.

Reaction Score
I wasn't watching but you guys are saying Spieth took 25 minutes to hit a shot. I would imagine he broke a rule or if golf let's you take close to a half hour to hit shots that's on golf. Sounds like it's a golf problem and no rule was broken.

This was exactly my point. Its a golf problem, not a Spieth problem (although he does play excruciatingly slow).

If you think about it at a basic level. You hit a good shot in the fairway or a poor shot in the rough and you get a min or two to hit your shot.

But when you get a horrific shot, now you get 25-30 min?

You are literally being rewarded for hitting a bad shot; the reward being extra time. I don't know what the solution would be, but it doesn't make sense.

Reaction Score

The Dustin Johnson cannot putt take is only made by people who are 5 years behind in their golf takes. Top 35 last couple years in SG putting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom