Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 41 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get the sense that he's going to look lost on the defensive end, and be wildly inconsistent next year. He may have a game or two where he puts up 12 and 8 and then have others where he barely sees the floor. I'd look for major improvement between year 1 and 2.

Reaction Score
Enoch plays way more than Nolan this season. Guaranteed.
I think he is more talented than KF coming in based on the game s I have watched but I think PN is going to play a lot especially if we see the one that played well for us at the end of last year. I think KF might see his time limited if SE comes in and shines. PN and SE are interchangeable as they both can play the 4-5.

Reaction Score
Of the big men (Brimah, Nolan, Miller, Facey, Enoch), I see Enoch as being the only player of that group who can play both the center and PF positions.

Amida is strictly a center. KF and Miller are PF's, maybe SF's at times, but never centers. Nolan is arguably both a center and PF, but the reality is that he never plays PF alongside Amida.

Having the size and skillset to play both positions will make Enoch valuable. I see most of his PT next year at center, splitting the backup role with Nolan. But, every now and then I can see where KO will insert Enoch at PF alongside Amida when he wants to go big.

I expect to see KF fill the PF backup role when Miller swings to SF if DHam is in foul trouble or needs a blow.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Nolan is arguably both a center and PF, but the reality is that he never plays PF alongside Amida.
He started the last half-dozen games of the year at PF next to Amida, and flashed a decent 16-foot jumper. Against bigger teams I suspect he'll get his share of minutes at the 4, especially if his mobility is back.

Reaction Score
Enoch plays way more than Nolan this season. Guaranteed.

I think they'll get similar run. Nolan's been here awhile and this is his last go round... If he's not already in the gym working on making this, his final year in a Husky uniform, the absolute best, I'd be shocked... He's going out with a bang... He gave us a lil taste with that baseline jumper he started to knock down late this past season... He should be finishing much better around the rim on clean up duty... Enoch should learn a lot, while playing , along side Nolan, Facey and Brimah.... hoping we can bring one more big to complete our frontcourt rotation....

Reaction Score
He started the last half-dozen games of the year at PF next to Amida, and flashed a decent 16-foot jumper. Against bigger teams I suspect he'll get his share of minutes at the 4, especially if his mobility is back.

For reasons of self-preservation of sanity, I mis-remembered Nolan starting those games.

Last edited:

Matrim55

Reaction Score
For reasons I can't recall, I mis-remembered Nolan starting those games.
It happens.

I think your general point stands, though - PN is likely to see the bulk of his minutes at the 5 this year. The exceptions will come against bigger teams like Cincy, SMU and maybe Maryland.

However it plays out, we certainly have much more experience and flexibility heading into 2015/16 than we did heading into 2014/15. Now we just need some luck with injuries, which was noticeably absent last season.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I think they'll get similar run. Nolan's been here awhile and this is his last go round... If he's not already in the gym working on making this, his final year in a Husky uniform, the absolute best, I'd be shocked... He's going out with a bang... He gave us a lil taste with that baseline jumper he started to knock down late this past season... He should be finishing much better around the rim on clean up duty... Enoch should learn a lot, while playing , along side Nolan, Facey and Brimah.... hoping we can bring one more big to complete our frontcourt rotation....
We just signed Shonn Miller. Our front court is probably set. And I think you're way overestimating Nolan's offseason development. He will be serviceable at times, but the more he's on the bench the better.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
And I think you're way overestimating Nolan's offseason development. He will be serviceable at times...
Last time he played a season without nursing a long-term injury he started for the national champions.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Last time he played a season without nursing a long-term injury he started for the national champions.
And he averaged about 14 minutes and 2 points during that tournament. I like Phil and I think he's a good locker room guy, but let's not pretend he's more than he is. He will come in and play solid D and maybe throw down a D-Ham lob and hit a jumper occasionally but thats about it. CallMeBruce said it all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't see Nolan taking minutes away from Enoch or Facey in the reserve four/five spot - nice kid, will graduate on time, but is just overmatched completely at this level. He's a known-quantity at this stage of his career.

I'd expect his minutes to sink into the single digits.

Reaction Score

Nolan will never have good hands, he'll never be able to jump, and he's not a good rebounder (mostly because of these two deficiencies).

But if he can just do the little things consistently that he's capable of (put-backs, taking charges, playing good D, boxing out), then he can be a positive for the team.

One thing he can (must) improve on...protect the ball once he gets both hands on it. He can't continue to get stripped the way he has. That's something that can be learned..throw the elbows out, keep the ball high, widen your stance...I'm surprised he hasn't learned yet.

Reaction Score
Love all the predictions on Phil. He will. He won't. He can't. I sincerely hope he does, and maybe gets to play international ball unlikely as it seems. I really thought the Rock was going to do something last year but he never got much PT. Really hope that Enoch doesn't go down that road. Miller is going to cut into their time but I'd rather see the rest go to Steve because of development and we have him for 3-4 years, and if somebody has to get their feelings hurt, then Phil. These guys all want the same thing and that is a lot of floor time.

Reaction Score
Ollie has shown that he likes Nolan. He played 5 more minutes a game than Facey over the last 10 games of the regular season, which isn't an insignificant amount for bench players. I haven't seen enough of Enoch to get a feel for his defense, but if he gets caught on switches and misses rotations the way Facey does then Nolan will play more than him too.

I think it was @champs99and04 who brought that up first about Facey and some of UConn's other bigs, and when you look for it it's pretty noticeable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming miller and brimah combine for 50-60 minutes, then that leaves 20-30 at the 4 and 5. Miller might play some 3 in a big lineup and Hamilton might play some 4 in a small lineup. There aren't many minutes for the remaining 3 guys, so one of the 3 will likely only play in blowouts or during severe foul trouble. Nolan will probably be the odd man out.

Reaction Score
Ollie has shown that he likes Nolan. He played 5 more minutes a game than Facey over the last 10 games of the regular season, which isn't an insignificant amount for bench players. I haven't seen enough of Enoch to get a feel for his defense, but if he gets caught on switches and misses rotations the way Facey does then Nolan will play more than him too.

I think it was @champs99and04 who brought that up first about Facey and some of UConn's other bigs, and when you look for it it's pretty noticeable.

Ollie unquestionably likes Phil but Facey's play was deteriorating late in the season and then he got the concussion. Ollie really didn't have a choice but to turn to Phil over the last 10 games. When Phil got into foul trouble or was playing worse than normal, Ollie gave Rakim a shot by default due to the lack of depth inside.

Reaction Score
So Nolan was hurt all year, too? Sometimes players are just bad, guys.

Phil was walking around in a soft cast on days off and playing nonetheless. The guy obviously isn't a key player but he will be fine as our 4th/5th big.

I think its a huge stretch to say he is completely overmatched versus D1 talent (Fishy) when he wasn't overmatched versus Payne. I am psyched we got Miller so Phil doesn't need to get much burn but I don't get this idea that he sucks on defense.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Phil is overmatched.

Forget his offense - it doesn't exist. It's actually hard to play the minutes he does and touch the ball as infrequently as he does.

When he does, thirty-percent of his possessions directly result in a turnover. He's invisible on the offensive glass. He played 15 minutes a game this year and converted four free throws. Four.

He is a sporadically effective defender, but by no means is he a good defensive player. He doesn't rebound, doesn't block shots and he doesn't keep people off the glass.

But at least he's prone to fouling. If you ever want to project his numbers over forty minutes, you can't - he'd foul out in 29.

Reaction Score
We just signed Shonn Miller. Our front court is probably set. And I think you're way overestimating Nolan's offseason development. He will be serviceable at times, but the more he's on the bench the better.

Amazing, we need this guy. He's a better defender than both Brimah and Facey in pure defense, they are clueless. One can block shots and that's an impact the other, well he's not Nolan. You better hope Nolan is even better this year because his 5 fouls will be a key in a lot of games with that front court I promise!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If we 'need' Nolan this year, we're not very good.

And if we run too many minutes with Nolan and Samuel in the court together again, I'll need to be sedated.

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
If we 'need' Nolan this year, we're not very good. And if we run too many minutes with Nolan and Samuel in the court together again, I'll need to be sedated.

It's a combination that can work well with some creativity - neither of their defenders have to guard them, so when both leave to bring help, they'll often bump into each other, thereby opening driving lanes.

Reaction Score
Phil is overmatched.

Forget his offense - it doesn't exist. It's actually hard to play the minutes he does and touch the ball as infrequently as he does.

When he does, thirty-percent of his possessions directly result in a turnover. He's invisible on the offensive glass. He played 15 minutes a game this year and converted four free throws. Four.

He is a sporadically effective defender, but by no means is he a good defensive player. He doesn't rebound, doesn't block shots and he doesn't keep people off the glass.

But at least he's prone to fouling. If you ever want to project his numbers over forty minutes, you can't - he'd foul out in 29.

I guess this is right. I mostly disagreed because I thought you said he was overmatched @ the D1 level, but you really said at our level. He would be averaging 11 and 5 at some mid major and we would be hoping he could grad transfer.

I was about to make the point that Phil types are scattered around all top teams as the 4th and 5th best big, then I realized this wasn't very effective in proving he isn't overmatched.

Reaction Score
Not saying Nolan is going to get ample playing time, but he's probably the best guy setting screens up top for the guards.

He won't be buried on the bench though. Definitely think a Tyler Olander role would work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom