Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Isn't Govan 6-9/10? Have we already begun attaching Hilton Units to Eno(s)ch to make him at minimum, 7-1?

He is confusing players. Derrickson lit up Brewster in the second half of the (likely) only time poster saw Enoch.

Reaction Score
He might be good but he was getting overpowered by a guy 3-4 inches shorter than him in Govan(Georgetown recruit). I would like to see him hold his own against Division 1 players before saying he is going to contribute big time this year. I don't think KO would be going after Miller if SE was this great impact recruit. I'm not saying he isn't good but I think it will take some time for him to develop based on what I have seen from him this year. I think they are grooming him to back up AB more so this year due to his height. I think KF will backup Miller at the PF position.
I don't know what you are referring to when you say Enoch was outplayed by Govan. Perhaps you are referring to that tourney in R.I. in Nov., when Enoch was mediocre at best. But, he improved steadily as the season progressed.
Most recently, at the Jordan brand game, Friday, Enoch had 15 pts. 9 rebs. and 1 block, to Govan's 10 points 7 rebs. and no blocks. If Govan outplayed Enoch in a game earlier this season, it certainly sounds as if Enoch more than caught up with Govan.

Reaction Score
Looking forward Norwalk, CT's own to come to Storrs and rep... CT HighSchool basketball is pretty good... this kid's skills are better than say Rakim or Phil at the same stage.. He's gonna bring some excitement to our squad next year...
I hear you but I am in a 12 Step UConn Fan program. To date, I have been 25 days clean of kool-aid. I may not make it but my goal is one day at a time for 6 months (or 1st day of practice).

So one of my coping mechanism is now skepticism. But you all have fun and go ahead and get drunk. Its a personal thing and I just can't handle it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Enoch is still learning the game. He is a work in progress. There were tapes of two games he's played in that I watched. Much better than highlight films and checking out stat sheets imo.

My perspective is that he loves offense more than defense. Not saying he's better on the offensive end. He just appears more engaged on that end of the floor. He wants to be a scorer.

In both games Enoch was pulled from the game for not motoring. One game he came back in energized and received the message. In the other game he was pulled again and sat out for most of the second half. In that first game he came back in as a player this forum will rave about. In the second game, if he plays like that at UConn, this forum will destroy him.

His movement and positioning on the offensive end was ahead of what I saw from Kentan this season. But his positioning on the defensive end was about the same as Kentan albeit Enoch played the five and the roles were different.

My educated guess is that Miller is more polished on the offensive and defensive end than either Kentan or Enoch although Kentan appears more athletic and Enoch physically stronger. I expect the player with the better bb IQ to play ahead of those with the better physical attributes but if Kentan and Enoch can develop that IQ (and in Enoch's case work ethic for an entire game) they could jump ahead of Miller. But that would be a great thing imo because I believe Miller will be a player the staff can rely on for both ends of the floor at the four position which was missing for most of last season.

Reaction Score
I'll be very surprised if Enoch comes in stronger than Miller. Miller was a bruiser for Cornell. This isn't spindly Deandre Daniels. Miller has his Man Strength.

Reaction Score
Isn't Govan 6-9/10? Have we already begun attaching Hilton Units to Eno(s)ch to make him at minimum, 7-1?
Yes it is Derrickson. Wrong GT recruit(Wow GT has a great recruiting class). Either way SE had a decent height advantage in this game at the end of the year and was abused and fouled out. I'm not saying he can't make an impact I would just temper them a little bit. There is definitely a reason that KO reached out to get Miller even with SE coming in. Of course maybe he just sees SE playing more center than PF for us.

Reaction Score
I tend to overhype freshman. That being said, this kid has a real chance to start at pf by the end of the year. He's our most prototypical 4, no disrespect to miller.
He has great upside and will contribute. The dad of a player at St. Thomas More who is very connected to the AAU circuit thinks Enoch will be more of a project his Freshman year. He also told me that Adams would have been a HUGE contributor to UConn last year. That isn't news to some here though. The kid is special.

Reaction Score
He has great upside and will contribute. The dad of a player at St. Thomas More who is very connected to the AAU circuit thinks Enoch will be more of a project his Freshman year. He also told me that Adams would have been a HUGE contributor to UConn last year. That isn't news to some here though. The kid is special.
Yeah, from what I saw of both Adams and SE that seems like a fair assessment. I really feel that coupled with who we have playing the four right now was the reason KO had to get Miller to play the 4 this year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'll be very surprised if Enoch comes in stronger than Miller. Miller was a bruiser for Cornell. This isn't spindly Deandre Daniels. Miller has his Man Strength.
Point well taken. But with the conditioning coaches and equipment that UConn offers I'm projecting that Enoch will be a stronger player than Miller. Which based on the point you are making about Miller, and I happen to agree with, isn't trivial. If I'm correct, then the question will be how quickly that happens.

Reaction Score
Enoch is going to challenge for minutes at either front court position, lets not pigeonhole him. Miller is most likely the starting 4 because of what he brings defensively/experience, but theres a chance enoch is the best offensive rebounder on the roster. He plays with a very high motor and has a better body than phil//facey/brimah. Also as someone else noted, he is very confident offensively, and as a team uconn might need that from the 5 slot at times...these are good problems though

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Enoch is going to challenge for minutes at either front court position, lets not pigeonhole him. Miller is most likely the starting 4 because of what he brings defensively/experience, but theres a chance enoch is the best offensive rebounder on the roster. He plays with a very high motor and has a better body than phil//facey/brimah. Also as someone else noted, he is very confident offensively, and as a team uconn might need that from the 5 slot at times...these are good problems though
I actually think Kentan is the best offensive rebounder. He anticipates the carom of the ball as good as any player UConn has had in a while. Enoch has great hands, is tall and is strong so it is hard to argue against him. Suffice it to say I like both of them regarding rebounding. But Kentan saw his minutes reduced because there was so much to his game that was missing on both ends of the floor. I felt his rebounding suffered because he was trying to figure out what he should be doing (based on coaches instructions) and that took away from his instinctive rebounding abilities. I felt that Amida was less effective in blocking shots at the end of the season because the coaches were trying to reduce his fouling and teach him to position for rebounding. He didn't quite make the total adjustment by the end of the season imo.

I'm thinking Kentan and Steve coming into next season will still be behind Miller bb IQ wise. That's based on what I've seen up to this point. There is no way of knowing if the IQ gap can be closed or how quickly that will happen. Unless we're invested in a particular player (relative, friend or man crush) I think it is a universal Boneyard hope that the two relatively unskilled players competing against the relatively skilled player for starting and minutes can leap frog him. That would only bode well for the team.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
I think were going to see huge improvement in our front court this year. The additions of Shonn Miller and Steve Enoch are key.

Reaction Score
I would temper my expectations on SE as like others have said who have watched him he is a work in progress. I do like he has a bigger frame and is more offensive minded than most of the fron line guys we do have. I do feel he is lacking on the defensive side of the ball from what I have seen from him and as we saw with KF this could impact his minutes greatly. I think he will get minutes at the 4 or 5 depending on how our front line is doing. I really expect AB and Miller to get most of the minutes at the 4-5 with PN and KF backing them up. I expect SE to get the garbage minutes until someone falls out of favor with KO upfront. Now as far as JA goes I expect him to have immediate impact from the beginning.

Reaction Score
I would temper my expectations on SE as like others have said who have watched him he is a work in progress. I do like he has a bigger frame and is more offensive minded than most of the fron line guys we do have. I do feel he is lacking on the defensive side of the ball from what I have seen from him and as we saw with KF this could impact his minutes greatly. I think he will get minutes at the 4 or 5 depending on how our front line is doing. I really expect AB and Miller to get most of the minutes at the 4-5 with PN and KF backing them up. I expect SE to get the garbage minutes until someone falls out of favor with KO upfront. Now as far as JA goes I expect him to have immediate impact from the beginning.

I really hope KF is what you seem to expect more than what I do. Just the fact SE can score the ball may give him at least as many minutes as KF. Hope they both are better than everyone expected that would be the best case scenario.

Reaction Score
I really hope KF is what you seem to expect more than what I do. Just the fact SE can score the ball may give him at least as many minutes as KF. Hope they both are better than everyone expected that would be the best case scenario.
I'm not too high on KF(I'm actually higher on PN being a better backup at both positions than KF based on end of the year results) but definitely glad we have Miller. It would be rough if we didn't have him on the roster. I definitely can see SE playing if KF falters which I'm guessing he will. Just not impressed at all with KF's game. SE definitely adds the scoring impact we lack up front but he will need to improve his D to see the floor.

Reaction Score
others who have watched him? I have watched him in person, and he is ready to go. KF saw his minutes go down because of how raw he is as a player, he doesn't move the needle, and neither does nolan.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I actually think Kentan is the best offensive rebounder. He anticipates the carom of the ball as good as any player UConn has had in a while. Enoch has great hands, is tall and is strong so it is hard to argue against him. Suffice it to say I like both of them regarding rebounding. But Kentan saw his minutes reduced because there was so much to his game that was missing on both ends of the floor. I felt his rebounding suffered because he was trying to figure out what he should be doing (based on coaches instructions) and that took away from his instinctive rebounding abilities. I felt that Amida was less effective in blocking shots at the end of the season because the coaches were trying to reduce his fouling and teach him to position for rebounding. He didn't quite make the total adjustment by the end of the season imo.

I'm thinking Kentan and Steve coming into next season will still be behind Miller bb IQ wise. That's based on what I've seen up to this point. There is no way of knowing if the IQ gap can be closed or how quickly that will happen. Unless we're invested in a particular player (relative, friend or man crush) I think it is a universal Boneyard hope that the two relatively unskilled players competing against the relatively skilled player for starting and minutes can leap frog him. That would only bode well for the team.

I agree with this HOWEVER I saw only ONE rebounder this past year - DHam

Reaction Score
And that has to improve or we are going either play lock down D or score a million points from the perimeter.

Reaction Score

Facey actually got a slightly higher percentage of available rebounds while he was on the floor than Hamilton did.

Reaction Score
After reading informed posts and articles on Enoch, the thing that stands out to me and gets me really excited, is that it seems Enoch's rate of improvement is off the charts. This makes analysis of even last months games outdated. Scary good if he truly is improving at such a high rate.

Reaction Score
Enoch is still learning the game. He is a work in progress. There were tapes of two games he's played in that I watched. Much better than highlight films and checking out stat sheets imo.

My perspective is that he loves offense more than defense. Not saying he's better on the offensive end. He just appears more engaged on that end of the floor. He wants to be a scorer.

In both games Enoch was pulled from the game for not motoring. One game he came back in energized and received the message. In the other game he was pulled again and sat out for most of the second half. In that first game he came back in as a player this forum will rave about. In the second game, if he plays like that at UConn, this forum will destroy him.

His movement and positioning on the offensive end was ahead of what I saw from Kentan this season. But his positioning on the defensive end was about the same as Kentan albeit Enoch played the five and the roles were different.

My educated guess is that Miller is more polished on the offensive and defensive end than either Kentan or Enoch although Kentan appears more athletic and Enoch physically stronger. I expect the player with the better bb IQ to play ahead of those with the better physical attributes but if Kentan and Enoch can develop that IQ (and in Enoch's case work ethic for an entire game) they could jump ahead of Miller. But that would be a great thing imo because I believe Miller will be a player the staff can rely on for both ends of the floor at the four position which was missing for most of last season.
Good commentary.....as you say he had his ups and downs and lost some time due to not giving his best......he needs work on his body.....though he improved in bodying up on d during the year....he was yanked for screwing up on d but it was probably his 1st year being taught team defense.....regarding him playing the five i think it would be a real waste of his face up game.......ready right now? He would be a liability on d but what he does from now to oct could earn him playing time right away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm rooting for the fellow Norwalker just as much as anyone here, but let's be real. Enoch is probably not gonna see a lot of time his freshman year. There are only 80 minutes in the frontcourt available; 25-30 hopefully goes to Brimah and Miller each. Figure Hamilton will also see 2-5 minutes as a starch four. That leaves roughly 25-30 minutes for Facey, Nolan, and Enoch. Nolan will play the lion's share of that group IMO, because of his pick and roll d. Enoch should not see more than 8-12 minutes a game. Of course, I'm not accounting for development, foul trouble, etc. But, judging strictly off our personnel, Enoch shouldn't be a major contributor next year. However, sky's the limit after that.

Reaction Score
3rdbass said:
Yes it is Derrickson. Wrong GT recruit(Wow GT has a great recruiting class). Either way SE had a decent height advantage in this game at the end of the year and was abused and fouled out. I'm not saying he can't make an impact I would just temper them a little bit. There is definitely a reason that KO reached out to get Miller even with SE coming in. Of course maybe he just sees SE playing more center than PF for us.

Rolan Roberts of Southern Illinois had his way with Emeka for one strange day. Wide body with old man game just had him off balance - dropped 24 and Emeka couldn't time him right.

Things happen in particular matchups. Ideally, you learn and move on.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
@Danzz
C of C 4 rebounds 1 OR 24 minutes
Dayton 5 rebounds 2 OR 27 minutes
WV 8 rebounds 7 OR 25 minutes
Duke 9 rebounds 5 OR 28 minutes
Temple 11 rebounds 3 OR in 35 minutes
Florida 4 rebounds 2 OR in 22 minutes

He was the best rebounder on the offensive end before the coaches had him working on his overall game. And the best per minute rebounder on the team. I stand by what I wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom