Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn pleading guilty to NCAA violations in an attempt to get out of paying Ollie $10 million is not the decisive evidence most think it is. Judges aren't all idiots.
Makes no sense. KO broke the rules big time. Uconn is being punished and he is out of college coaching for 3 years.

Reaction Score
Is he? I mean he’s most accomplished on the court. But as said above, most people are soured on him, rightly or otherwise, for leaving Boston for Miami. Between that and his personality/demeanor, I’ll take Kemba every time as an ambassador for my alma mater
No most people have NOT soured on him. I spent a bunch of happy hours playing pool against him when we were in school. He’s quiet and reserved, an introvert. Nothing wrong w being reserved, especially in this day and age of every big mouth opinion getting headlines. He was always nice but very structured, no alcohol and would leave at 8 no matter what. I beat him every time, but he won the long game.

Reaction Score
Ray absolutely enjoyed a drink now and then. I bought him a few. He slowly sipped them. He was also much more outgoing after UConn and before he let life get too serious as an adult. He was pretty lively socially in the late 90’s, but never too crazy. Kids, health and business became his passion later. He wasn’t going to party all night with Pierce and KG in his 20’s let alone his 30’s.

Reaction Score
No most people have NOT soured on him. I spent a bunch of happy hours playing pool against him when we were in school. He’s quiet and reserved, an introvert. Nothing wrong w being reserved, especially in this day and age of every big mouth opinion getting headlines. He was always nice but very structured, no alcohol and would leave at 8 no matter what. I beat him every time, but he won the long game.
I’m not talking about UConn fans. I’m talking about everyone who isn’t a UConn fan, given we are talking about Ray as an ambassador for the program.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Pay the man.

I can't say that enough. The "not a dime" crew don't get the PR messiness of this.

No, don't pay him as he "Ollie" lied to the school and doesn't deserve $10 million or anything close. If I was UConn I would offer $2 million with a take it or leave it. UConn isn't flush with cash right now, so anything more is nor should it happen

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Is he? I mean he’s most accomplished on the court. But as said above, most people are soured on him, rightly or otherwise, for leaving Boston for Miami. Between that and his personality/demeanor, I’ll take Kemba every time as an ambassador for my alma mater
Most people have soured on him ? Am in the fl luck king twilight zone with this bull ish ?

Ray Allen is a mother f luck king UConn legend boi

But don’t take it from me. Take it from one hall of famer about another one

Allen will be the first former UConn men’s basketball player inducted.
“It’s very special,” Jim Calhoun, a Hall of Famer himself, told Hearst Connecticut Media on Saturday. “He is, if not the face, one of the faces of the program. Obviously, Kemba (Walker) is phenomenal, too. Donyell (Marshall) was our first All-American, and Ray’s our first male Hall of Fame player.”

Reaction Score
Most people have soured on him ? Am in the fl luck king twilight zone with this bull ish ?

Ray Allen is a mother f luck king UConn legend boi

But don’t take it from me. Take it from one hall of famer about another one

Allen will be the first former UConn men’s basketball player inducted.
“It’s very special,” Jim Calhoun, a Hall of Famer himself, told Hearst Connecticut Media on Saturday. “He is, if not the face, one of the faces of the program. Obviously, Kemba (Walker) is phenomenal, too. Donyell (Marshall) was our first All-American, and Ray’s our first male Hall of Fame player.”
You totally misinterpreted my post.

When you’re talking about who the UConn ambassador is, you’re not talking about what UConn fans think. Many basketball watchers look at him kinda sideways for leaving Boston for Miami to ride along with LeBron. That’s a very popular narrative.

Kemba is universally loved and respected, and has an awesome personality. Not to mention, a generation younger than Ray.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
JC "forces" KO onto the program as HC - a position he was not ready to undertake
Some of JC's actions get the team on probation
The OBE implodes and UConn limps into the AAC
KO wins NC - a miracle but still it gave us #4
The AAC makes it hard to recruit on the level that UConn is accustomed
KO suffers a personal setback
The team spirals in the AAC - due to many circumstances and KO does have a part in the play
KO is fired on charges that are overlooked at most any P5 school - perpetuated, in my honest opinion- by DB the db with the NCAA
UConn places itself on self imposed probation to add fuel to the don't pay KO a penny fire and in their zeal to stick it to KO they involve Ray
KO had a final two/three year record that is cause for removal - no doubt in my mind at all- - the rest of the crap is an attempt by DB to justify the "contract violation" and in doing so has dragged this thing through the mud.
Yes, KO signed the contract but many didn't expect UConn administration to react the way they did. The former players know the game and understand that the violations are crap and have seen/heard the same going on in most basketball power schools - the difference - UConn is in financial crisis and have decided that hurting their own is easier than paying something
KO should not be coaching this team and DB should not be in the AD seat - DB is a wolf in sheeps clothing here at UConn
This is going to be uglier as time goes on and it didn't have to be this way
This whole thing is a ridiculous soap opera that has plenty of blame to go around
Ray is UConn, KO is UConn - Suzy and DB are not UConn - just political hacks- and lousy at that too
November is coming quickly = let's play some hoops

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Makes no sense. KO broke the rules big time. Uconn is being punished and he is out of college coaching for 3 years.

I suspect KO's lawyers will take the position that the NCAA is not a Court of Law, and UConn not only didn't put up a defense, but actually agreed to a bunch of meaningless penalties that aren't really penalties at all. UConn is using these non-penalties as justification for not paying Ollie $10 million. Ollie's biggest problem is weak termination language in his contract, but I do not think the NCAA ruling is dispositive of anything.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No one outside of Connecticut cares about about this...barely anyone inside of Connecticut cares about this.

Public relations and Ray Allen's feelings are about the last things they need to consider here.

If there is a reasonable settlement to be made, make it. If there's not, man the battle stations.

C

Chief00

Ray absolutely enjoyed a drink now and then. I bought him a few. He slowly sipped them. He was also much more outgoing after UConn and before he let life get too serious as an adult. He was pretty lively socially in the late 90’s, but never too crazy. Kids, health and business became his passion later. He wasn’t going to party all night with Pierce and KG in his 20’s let alone his 30’s.
I agree with this assessment.

C

Chief00

No one outside of Connecticut cares about about this...barely anyone inside of Connecticut cares about this.

Public relations and Ray Allen's feelings are about the last things they need to consider here.

If there is a reasonable settlement to be made, make it. If there's not, man the battle stations.
KO has become toxic and Ray hasn’t figured it out yet. He’s too close.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I suspect KO's lawyers will take the position that the NCAA is not a Court of Law, and UConn not only didn't put up a defense, but actually agreed to a bunch of meaningless penalties that aren't really penalties at all. UConn is using these non-penalties as justification for not paying Ollie $10 million. Ollie's biggest problem is weak termination language in his contract, but I do not think the NCAA ruling is dispositive of anything.

It’s pretty dispositive. They are indeed the final arbiter of their own rules. Courts have been consistent on that. KO agreed to comply with their rules. The NCAAs most important findings were related to KO lying to them. He’s toast and needs to move on. I agree a settlement has always been best and it’s sad that Ollie has been unwilling to accept reasonable settlement offers. At this point that number would be way down from what he was likely offered before.

Reaction Score
You totally misinterpreted my post.

When you’re talking about who the UConn ambassador is, you’re not talking about what UConn fans think. Many basketball watchers look at him kinda sideways for leaving Boston for Miami to ride along with LeBron. That’s a very popular narrative.

Think you're confusing how some Celtics fans feel with general NBA fans

Reaction Score

I wonder if more people have a thorough and accurate understanding of this situation, or how royally fkd UConn got in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Ugh, this isn't a good look no matter how you slice it.

FWIW, it is my understanding that Ollie's representation wanted expansive discovery in the arbitration and UConn objected. I believe there was a hearing on the matter and it was determined that broad discovery would be allowed. Once that was decided, the die was cast. It can't be one way only. It is reasonable to see if there were calls between Ray and KO or staff.

The article I read this morning said that UConn made a bunch of document production requests, including Allen's phone records, only 2 days before his deposition. That's what they objected to, and I read that UConn's lawyers really laid into Allen in his deposition testimony.

Reaction Score
What must be it? Have you heard Ray Allen since he left Boston in 2012? That man will never shut up about how Boston did him dirty. 7 years on and he's still boo-boo faced about it. This KO thing is another story I don't want to hear, but will have to because I need to show Ray Allen respect...or something.

Ray Allen is a legend. It's sad to read something like this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The article I read this morning said that UConn made a bunch of document production requests, including Allen's phone records, only 2 days before his deposition. That's what they objected to, and I read that UConn's lawyers really laid into Allen in his deposition testimony.
Yep. I read the same article, Matt. The two days before is odd, but I'll bet there is a backstory to it.

The notion that lawyers laid into Allen is subjective. If you are being deposed and are evasive or inconsistent, you are going to be questioned accordingly. If they actually "laid into him" i.e. were overly aggressive or inappropriate the deposition would have been stopped. I get the sense that this is more Ray being unhappy about the situation, his being a part of it and maybe a little because "I'm Ray Allen and this is what I want" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight in a deposition.

Reaction Score
The “pitchforks and torches” crowd is getting a vicarious thrill out of shouting from the rooftops that we’re not paying, no matter what! But this one s not a good look, at all. Which is why folks like me pushed for a sit down with Team Ollie after the penalties came down.
Find a nice middle ground settlement, declare victory and call it a day! Why? Because it’s the most prudent thing to do to avoid situations spiraling out of control.
People in the right settle all the time with those in the wrong. It’s not about being a hardass & sticking to your guns to prove a point. Settle this thing, move the on already. It’s a terrible look to be hassling with your alums, and just not worth it.

Both Ollie and UConn have to be willing to settle. Right now, it doesn't appear either are. If we can find a middle ground, we should. But I don't think Ollie is interested in that. Everything he's done appears to indicate he wants all or nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom