Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Yep. I read the same article, Matt. The two days before is odd, but I'll bet there is a backstory to it.

The notion that lawyers laid into Allen is subjective. If you are being deposed and are evasive or inconsistent, you are going to be questioned accordingly. If they actually "laid into him" i.e. were overly aggressive or inappropriate the deposition would have been stopped. I get the sense that this is more Ray being unhappy about the situation, his being a part of it and maybe a little because "I'm Ray Allen and this is what I want" doesn't carry a whole lot of weight in a deposition.
Agree, often star athletes don’t like venues where they are treated like everyone else. It’s not a criticism it’s that they are just not accustom to that kind of treatment so it catches them off guard or it seems unfair to them. When actually it’s fair treatment but they are used to special treatment.

Reaction Score
The “pitchforks and torches” crowd is getting a vicarious thrill out of shouting from the rooftops that we’re not paying, no matter what! But this one s not a good look, at all. Which is why folks like me pushed for a sit down with Team Ollie after the penalties came down.
Find a nice middle ground settlement, declare victory and call it a day! Why? Because it’s the most prudent thing to do to avoid situations spiraling out of control.
People in the right settle all the time with those in the wrong. It’s not about being a hardass & sticking to your guns to prove a point. Settle this thing, move the on already. It’s a terrible look to be hassling with your alums, and just not worth it.

Sure isn't....for Kevin Ollie. KO should take the L and whatever pride he has left and let this go.

I've got a nice middle ground right here for you and KO...

$0 dollars! Now get to steppin', Fonzie!!

Reaction Score
Deposition:

I had the unfortunate experience of being subpoenaed to testify before a state taxing authority concerning a former employer. Was a most disagreeable event, the tax group had an "inquisitor", there was a "court reporter" and the former employer had legal counsel there (who according to them was helping me but really I was on my own as they didn't represent me).

It was recorded by the tax group and I also recorded it (which they initially objected to but I said no recording no talk, guess they didn't think it was worth going back to judge over). Inquisitor was arrogant, asked the same question multiple times and spent much time trying to get me to contradict the statements they didn't like (and this was about events 6 years prior).

When it was over the court reporter made a comment about my "bad attitude" during the deposition; my reply was "I could care less about your dispute with my former employer, didn't appreciate being treated like a liar/criminal and all you guys got paid to be part of this show - but not me".

Month later they sent me a 100 plus page written report made by the court reporter for me to "verify". I sent back a note saying essentially "I'm not going to be an unpaid editor for you, I have an audio recording of what was said, I noted at the beginning that my memory of 6 years prior was not that great and regardless of the legal presumption that if I do not object to what was written I have agreed to it, I don't agree to anything".

Never heard back, case probably went no where (my opinion was tax department had no facts on their side), maybe I was just lucky it went away.

Reason for above is that getting deposed by some guy with an attitude is not something to look forward to and can imagine if in my case they had wanted me to produce my phone records of the last 6 year "'cause they could ask for it" I'd be making a pretty big objection (assuming I paid someone to figure out how to do that).

If I'm Ray Allen, with Ray Allen type money, I'm going to make the University of Connecticut pay dearly for any further info from me. I don't care what KO opened up by his actions, this is UConn back at me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yep agree 100% and I also never encountered a discovery request not deserving of an objection for being too broad, too burdensome, etc. There are not too many of us who would voluntarily agree to have strangers go through our cell phone history for texts, emails, etc., our right to privacy is an important constitutionally created privilege not to be easily surrendered.

Here is the thing...

Didnt Allen Facetime with the recruit according to the reports? There ain’t no phone or text record of Facetime or imessage to find.

Reaction Score
Here is the thing...

Didnt Allen Facetime with the recruit according to the reports? There ain’t no phone or text record of Facetime or imessage to find.

True but they are looking for other records/collaboration of the call being pre-arranged:

>>The calls took place at Ollie’s house during a team event using the iPad of Ollie’s special assistant Larib Omara-Otunnu. She, assistant coach Glenn Miller and the unnamed recruit all stated the calls were prearranged, and UConn wrote that Omara-Otunnu’s iPad was used “presumably to avoid the calls appearing in the records of his institutional iPhone...” which the compliance office could have noticed.<<

>>Among the records UConn sought to subpoena from Allen were records of all phone calls from Dec. 31, 2015 to July 30, 2018 between Allen and Ollie, Ollie’s former executive assistant, Larib Omara-Ottuno,...<<

Reaction Score
It's okay, when you grow up you'll realize sports are just a business. When I was 8, I used to take it personal too.
I laughed so hard I almost hit report by mistake. In 1978 I hated Mike Torrez for going from NY to Boston....41 years later...not so much.

Reaction Score
Thinks is true, but outside of UConn fans and teammates (i assume) there’s not a lot of love for Ray with past teammates or fans.

Garnett is a punk, but ray has on more than one occasion be called out as aloof and all about Ray. That is ok, but he’s not going to get the benefit off the doubt about character (edit - character isn't the right word here, but the proper word escapes me at the moment) issues.

Personally - he’s a great, great player, but one that never pulled me in like Caron, Rip, Taliek, Kemba, Emeka - kind of odd as I think about it now.

This is why you don’t bring in alumni as coaches - messy divorces with a lot of collateral damage. Worst thing JC ever did to the program - forcing the KO hire. Even JC isnt perfect.
I went to school when he did and met Ray a few times and he always acted like he was all about himself. Not a big fan of the man but happy he was a great player for us in both college and Pro's.

Reaction Score
I turned on him in 2012 when he did Boston dirty and then cried like a 3 year old afterwards.

You're impressive with that rod you have for Ray Allen can't wait to read your input on our basketball team. :eek:

I could care less who he is or was regarding the NBA I care about who he is and was as a Husky. A great promoter throughout his NBA career of JC and the Huskies and still is, minus this glitch with his buddy. As long as you know it was never an issue that KO got fired it was these new court issues which I would hope wouldn't deter him from being the Husky he is. Who gives a crap what he did to the Bucks, the Supersonics or the C's could care freaking less. NBA players are all different people when it becomes a business.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
True but they are looking for other records/collaboration of the call being pre-arranged:

>>The calls took place at Ollie’s house during a team event using the iPad of Ollie’s special assistant Larib Omara-Otunnu. She, assistant coach Glenn Miller and the unnamed recruit all stated the calls were prearranged, and UConn wrote that Omara-Otunnu’s iPad was used “presumably to avoid the calls appearing in the records of his institutional iPhone...” which the compliance office could have noticed.<<

>>Among the records UConn sought to subpoena from Allen were records of all phone calls from Dec. 31, 2015 to July 30, 2018 between Allen and Ollie, Ollie’s former executive assistant, Larib Omara-Ottuno,...<<

SEC and ACC schools essentially use their coeds to ‘recruit’.

Lawyers getting paid to track down short Facetime convos... what a scam.

Reaction Score
Sure isn't....for Kevin Ollie. KO should take the L and whatever pride he has left and let this go.

I've got a nice middle ground right here for you and KO...

$0 dollars! Now get to steppin', Fonzie!!
I'll just leave this here: "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son".
Your level of maturity continues to impress.
Kudos.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here is the thing...

What I suspect that they are looking for is calls between RA and KO or his assistant prior to the Facetiming to see if the "coincidental call" by Ray was actually a planned event.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gee. so messy who woulda thunk it.
Pretty much no one. KO is jumping off a ledge and you are blaming UConn because it is getting splashed by impact splatter. It nasty and everyone would have preferred to avoid it but it tough to put much of the responsibility for this in UConn's lap.

Reaction Score
Gee. so messy who woulda thunk it.
Of course it would be messy. KO destroyed himself and has been trying to bring everyone else down with him.

End result is he's dug himself a whole he won't be able to get out of.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Of course it would be messy. KO destroyed himself and has been trying to bring everyone else down with him.

End result is he's dug himself a whole he won't be able to get out of.

Who woulda thunk it could get so messy for the university. Can’t believe it. Shocked.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Remember when the boneyard intelligentsia had this thing over with by July .....................

...................... of 2018?

I 'member

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Remember when the boneyard intelligentsia had this thing over with by July ......

....... of 2018?

I 'member

giphy.gif

Nobody cares how long this takes or how it looks in the press. As long as KO doesn't do any further damage to the AD, I don't care if UConn keeps this up another decade to get the result they want.

Reaction Score
Nobody cares how long this takes or how it looks in the press. As long as KO doesn't do any further damage to the AD, I don't care if UConn keeps this up another decade to get the result they want.

What AD, Benedect? Not sure we should care too much about him, many important UConn people aren't fans from what I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom