Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Lol, so which of the items listed for cause do you believe was "trumped up?" If cause was "trumped up" as you suggest, why did the NCAA give KO a show cause penalty? Are they a part of some bizarre conspiracy to "get" Ollie?

Man for guy who, oddly in my view, spent month after month asking for us to "come back to the big east" you aren't turning out to be a particularly good conference partner. Maybe the guys who pegged you as a troll got it right?

I'm all for UConn to the Big East. I also think Hurley is a good hire and he will succeed.

Can you accept that we honestly disagree on this issue without resulting to name calling and trolling accusations?

I'm certainly not alone in my views of trumped up charges. see below.

To be clear, I think all of the issues below were trumped up.

Which of the issues below, do you think rose to the level of firing? Is there a different standard for KO with a losing record than for JC with a winning record?

Documents include a letter to Ollie in which athletic director David Benedict wrote, “… at the time of your hire, the importance of absolute compliance in running our men’s basketball program was stressed to you by President [Susan] Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel. That makes the violations I … describe all the more troubling.”

In the four-page letter sent to Ollie days before his administrative hearing Benedict laid out the university’s case against him accusing the coach of intentionally participating in impermissible activities with student-athletes during an official visit, intentionally facilitating prohibited contact between potential recruits and UConn representatives and most important “not being completely truthful” when interviewed by university officials.
The letter then goes on to describe specific violations including:
  • Ollie shot baskets with a potential recruit while the unnamed recruit was on an official visit. A portion of that shootaround was videotaped by the player’s aunt, which was then published by The Courant, which is how Benedict learned of the incident. Ollie didn’t deny that he participated in the shootaround but claimed it was limited in scope. The university self-reported the incident to the NCAA. In September, guard James Akinjo from California was on an official visit, and he and Ollie stopped to shoot baskets together in the Werth Family Center. Akinjo’s guardian took video of it and posted it on Twitter, which The Courant noted in a story after Akinjo committed to UConn. The video was taken down from Twitter.
  • Ollie facilitated a call between a potential recruit and former UConn All-America Ray Allen, who is now considered a booster by the NCAA. When confronted with the call, Benedict alleged that Ollie denied the call was prearranged. In addition the call was not made on Ollie’s phone but on the cellphone of his executive assistant from Ollie’s house. Benedict said using another employee’s phone “further suggests that the call deliberately occurred in a covert manner.”
  • Ollie got a close personal friend named Derrek Hamilton to train some of the players off campus in 2015-16. Several players participated in after-hours, on-campus workouts with Hamilton as well as off-campus workouts. Three players traveled to Atlanta to train with Hamilton and the players were fed, transported and housed for free — all considered NCAA violations. The letter said one of the parents of a player who went to Atlanta even called Ollie to ask if the trip was permissible. Hamilton, reached by The Courant Wednesday, said, “I have nothing to say about that. I have not talked to the NCAA and I don’t really know what’s going on.”
  • The letter then indicates that Ollie downplayed Hamilton’s role with the program and told investigators that no players trained with Hamilton and that Hamilton spent little time on campus. But UConn has hotel records showing Hamilton’s presence on campus as well as that Ollie gave him complimentary tickets to three games.
  • Benedict also said that Ollie failed to report any possible NCAA violations as was his responsibility. “Every violation I am raising was discovered from sources other than you or your staff,” Benedict wrote, adding that in one instance Benedict found out about the impermissible tryout through the media.
  • Benedict also questioned the role of Danny Griffin, a friend of Ollie’s who was brought in as a noncoaching staff member by Ollie. The investigation showed that Griffin had impermissible phone contact with at least two recruits.
As the documents were released, Michael Bailey, director of the UConn chapter of the American Association of University Professors, issued a statement, accusing UConn of a “double standard,” because it did not terminate other coaches, including Jim Calhoun, for NCAA violations in the past.

“To falsely claim ‘just cause’ exists for alleged NCAA infractions in order to avoid paying a debt that is due to Coach Ollie exposes the hypocrisy of the University’s treatment of coach Ollie,” the AAUP letter stated.

Reaction Score
I'm all for UConn to the Big East. I also think Hurley is a good hire and he will succeed.

Can you accept that we honestly disagree on this issue without resulting to name calling and trolling accusations?

Which of the issues below, do you think rose to the level of firing? Is there a different standard for KO with a losing record than for JC with a winning record?

Documents include a letter to Ollie in which athletic director David Benedict wrote, “… at the time of your hire, the importance of absolute compliance in running our men’s basketball program was stressed to you by President [Susan] Herbst and then-athletic director Warde Manuel. That makes the violations I … describe all the more troubling.”

In the four-page letter sent to Ollie days before his administrative hearing Benedict laid out the university’s case against him accusing the coach of intentionally participating in impermissible activities with student-athletes during an official visit, intentionally facilitating prohibited contact between potential recruits and UConn representatives and most important “not being completely truthful” when interviewed by university officials.
  • Ollie shot baskets with a potential recruit while the unnamed recruit was on an official visit. A portion of that shootaround was videotaped by the player’s aunt, which was then published by The Courant, which is how Benedict learned of the incident. Ollie didn’t deny that he participated in the shootaround but claimed it was limited in scope. The university self-reported the incident to the NCAA. In September, guard James Akinjo from California was on an official visit, and he and Ollie stopped to shoot baskets together in the Werth Family Center. Akinjo’s guardian took video of it and posted it on Twitter, which The Courant noted in a story after Akinjo committed to UConn. The video was taken down from Twitter.
  • Ollie facilitated a call between a potential recruit and former UConn All-America Ray Allen, who is now considered a booster by the NCAA. When confronted with the call, Benedict alleged that Ollie denied the call was prearranged. In addition the call was not made on Ollie’s phone but on the cellphone of his executive assistant from Ollie’s house. Benedict said using another employee’s phone “further suggests that the call deliberately occurred in a covert manner.”
  • Ollie got a close personal friend named Derrek Hamilton to train some of the players off campus in 2015-16. Several players participated in after-hours, on-campus workouts with Hamilton as well as off-campus workouts. Three players traveled to Atlanta to train with Hamilton and the players were fed, transported and housed for free — all considered NCAA violations. The letter said one of the parents of a player who went to Atlanta even called Ollie to ask if the trip was permissible. Hamilton, reached by The Courant Wednesday, said, “I have nothing to say about that. I have not talked to the NCAA and I don’t really know what’s going on.”
  • The letter then indicates that Ollie downplayed Hamilton’s role with the program and told investigators that no players trained with Hamilton and that Hamilton spent little time on campus. But UConn has hotel records showing Hamilton’s presence on campus as well as that Ollie gave him complimentary tickets to three games.
  • Benedict also said that Ollie failed to report any possible NCAA violations as was his responsibility. “Every violation I am raising was discovered from sources other than you or your staff,” Benedict wrote, adding that in one instance Benedict found out about the impermissible tryout through the media.
  • Benedict also questioned the role of Danny Griffin, a friend of Ollie’s who was brought in as a noncoaching staff member by Ollie. The investigation showed that Griffin had impermissible phone contact with at least two recruits.
As the documents were released, Michael Bailey, director of the UConn chapter of the American Association of University Professors, issued a statement, accusing UConn of a “double standard,” because it did not terminate other coaches, including Jim Calhoun, for NCAA violations in the past.

“To falsely claim ‘just cause’ exists for alleged NCAA infractions in order to avoid paying a debt that is due to Coach Ollie exposes the hypocrisy of the University’s treatment of coach Ollie,” the AAUP letter stated.

I see many of your points and if they fired him when he was winning this boards outlook on this situation would be entirely different. Problem is he was awful for 3 years and lost people well before these allegations came out. Hence you are talking to the wall here and being a Nova fan why even continue this attempt? You're kinda right but no one cares anymore here, KO burned his bridges and lost mostly everyone while doing so.

It's not worth the time and we don't need to talk about it anymore. Look forward to seeing more of you beginning in 2020-21, take care.

Reaction Score
One could also make the case that precisely BRCAUSE Calhoun sometimes skirted the rules and it cost the program dearly,(see tourney ban for example) when the new coach was hired compliance became a priority. It happens all the time. For example, do you think Louisville will bring strippers to the basketball dorm again? And if so do you think the coach and AD survive? Times change and so do priorities. It was Ollie’s misfortune in a way that he skirted the rules at a time when compliance was a high priority and given what happened in college basketball generally and U Conn specifically it is not shocking that he was fired for that. Just like it wasn’t shocking that the UL AD was fired despite having overseen a rogue program for decades. In the past it was overlooked. But given the current climate it couldn’t be this time.

Reaction Score
One could also make the case that precisely BRCAUSE Calhoun sometimes skirted the rules and it cost the program dearly,(see tourney ban for example) when the new coach was hired compliance became a priority. It happens all the time. For example, do you think Louisville will bring strippers to the basketball dorm again? And if so do you think the coach and AD survive? Times change and so do priorities. It was Ollie’s misfortune in a way that he skirted the rules at a time when compliance was a high priority and given what happened in college basketball generally and U Conn specifically it is not shocking that he was fired for that. Just like it wasn’t shocking that the UL AD was fired despite having overseen a rogue program for decades. In the past it was overlooked. But given the current climate it couldn’t be this time.
How is it possible you could be a UConn fan posting here for as many years as you have and you don't know why UConn was banned from the tournament?

Reaction Score

All of the bullet points above point to a coach who is just plain lazy, and clearly does not understand or care how the NCCA game works. The Georgia workouts are really bad. But if you were to ask me which one stands above the rest, it's this:
Ollie straight up lied to investigators, and got caught. That is how you get kicked out of coaching for three years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Trumped up means false. Essentially you are, repeatedly and falsely, accusing the University of Connecticut of committing a fraud and you are doing it on a UConn board. How exactly do expect that to be perceived?

So let me ask you again and please answer each question directly:
Do you believe that all the charges are false?
Do you believe that UConn lied about what Kevin did?
Do you believe that NCAA and UConn are in a conspiracy to prevent Kevin from being paid $10M?

BTW, saying outrageous and inflammatory things and then trotting out the whole "Golly me a troll? You've hurt my feelings" things is right out of the troll handbook. To paraphrase Parcels "you are what your record says you are."

Reaction Score
Trumped up means false. Essentially you are, repeatedly and falsely, accusing the University of Connecticut of committing a fraud and you are doing it on a UConn board. How exactly do expect that to be perceived?

So let me ask you again and please answer each question directly:
Do you believe that all the charges are false?
Do you believe that UConn lied about what Kevin did?
Do you believe that NCAA and UConn are in a conspiracy to prevent Kevin from being paid $10M?
You seem to be the one trolling me. I'll answer your questions, and a few more. And let's hear your answers to the same, OK?

Trumped up doesn't mean false. It means making issues into something bigger than they are, to create leverage.

Do you believe that all the charges are false? No. I think there is some truth to the charges, and UConn made more of them than they normally would to seek a contract advantage.

Do you believe that UConn lied about what Kevin did? I don't think they lied about what he did, but I do think they are dishonest in dealing with those issues.

Do you believe that NCAA and UConn are in a conspiracy to prevent Kevin from being paid $10M? Conspiracy is too strong a word. I think UConn played the system by trumping up the issues and the disclosures, and did it not to be overly aggressive on creating a compliance culture, but rather to leverage KO.

Do you believe the same charges against JC would result in his dismissal? No.

Do you believe if Kevin won a NC in his last year, he would have been dismissed, or just received a slap on the wrist? Slap. Wrist.

Do you think KO should have been fired, and why? UConn has every right to fire KO for wins and losses. So sure, the replacement with Hurley is a net gain.

Reaction Score
CHICAGO (AP) — The NCAA suspended DePaul men’s basketball coach Dave Leitao for the first three games of the regular season Tuesday, saying he should have done more to prevent recruiting violations by his staff.

The NCAA also put the Big East program on three years of probation, issued a $5,000 fine and said an undetermined number of games will be vacated because DePaul put an ineligible player on the floor. An unidentified former associate head coach is also facing a three-year show cause order for his role in the violations.

According to an NCAA infractions committee decision, the associate head coach arranged for the assistant director of basketball operations to live with a prospect to help ensure the player did the work necessary to meet NCAA eligibility requirements. That arrangement violated recruiting rules.

“The head coach did not promote an atmosphere of compliance because three men’s basketball staff members knew about the arrangement but did not report the violation or question whether it was allowable,” the NCAA said. “Even more troubling to the committee was the director of basketball operations stated he knew the contact was a violation but did not report it because he did not want to be disloyal, cause tension, get in the way of the associate head coach or otherwise hurt his career. ... According to the committee, a culture of silence pervaded the program.”

CL82

Reaction Score
You seem to be the one trolling me. I'll answer your questions, and a few more. And let's hear your answers to the same, OK?

Trumped up doesn't mean false. It means making issues into something bigger than they are, to create leverage.

Do you believe that all the charges are false? No. I think there is some truth to the charges, and UConn made more of them than they normally would to seek a contract advantage.

Do you believe that UConn lied about what Kevin did? I don't think they lied about what he did, but I do think they are dishonest in dealing with those issues.

Do you believe that NCAA and UConn are in a conspiracy to prevent Kevin from being paid $10M? Conspiracy is too strong a word. I think UConn played the system by trumping up the issues and the disclosures, and did it not to be overly aggressive on creating a compliance culture, but rather to leverage KO.
Ok, we're making progress.

1) You've now agreed that KO did what was alleged. Progress.

2) You've now findings about those actions were accurate. Progress.

3) You've now agreed that the NCAAs findings with regard those actions were accurate. Progress.

Have you looked at KO's contract? Any one of the things listed above terminates his contract for cause. So if the parties live up to the specific agreement in the multi-million dollars contract that was negotiated by the parties and their legal counsel, Kevin isn't entitled to any additional payment under his contract. (FWIW, it's not like KO was cut off cold turkey. The contract provided that he gets @ $600k in the event of a discharge for just cause. UConn paid him that.)

Really that's all that needs to said on this issue, but I've answered your questions below:

Do you believe the same charges against JC would result in his dismissal?
Yes, I do. After APR/Miles sanction Jim Calhoun was told UConn had adopted a zero tolerance policy toward NCAA violations. After that meeting if he had a pattern of willfully violating NCAA rules and repeatedly lied to the administration about it, I absolutely he would have been terminated. Now, I also believe that Calhoun would have left far more graciously and had a better narrative, largely because he wouldn't have dug in his heels and threatened to smear the university if he wasn't paid millions for not working.

Do you believe if Kevin won a NC in his last year, he would have been dismissed, or just received a slap on the wrist?
I believe he would have been dismissed. Note that Kevin's problem was not a single violation but a pattern of violation and dishonesty about those violations. That's a toxic combination that will always result in a termination. The goodwill of earning a second national championship would have been offset by the scandal of the NCAA expunging it. When you have a repeated pattern of ignoring NCAA rules exacerbated by a repeated pattern of dishonesty you are too great a liability.

Do you think KO should have been fired, and why?
Yes. Kevin's problem was not a single violation but a pattern of violation and dishonesty about those violations. That's a toxic combination that will always result in a termination.

FWIW the hypothetical about a successful Ollie who repeatedly knowingly violates NCAA rules and then lies about them is a fallacy. KO violated those rules because he had become disengaged with his job. Bad things follow when that happens. He lied about the violations because they showed he wasn't doing his job.

(Oh when I come on the 'Nova board and start sheet talking Villanova, and accusing them of institutional dishonesty feel free to call me a troll. A UConn fan on a UConn board calling out another school's fan talking that crap about us? No so much.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't think life is all that black & white.

If you had family ties and interests in Philly, but your first love is UConn, is see no reason why you shouldn't blog on a Nova board if you are interested.

Reaction Score
Ollie straight up lied to investigators, and got caught. That is how you get kicked out of coaching for three years.

Or three days at DePaul.

imo, KO was harshly treated for more minor violations. UNC did far worse with no consequences from the NCAA.

Reaction Score

If you had family ties and interests in Philly, but your first love is UConn, is see no reason why you shouldn't blog on a Nova board if you are interested.
This is why contracts exist. Literally this is the point of contracts.

Reaction Score

You blog this nonsense?

Journalism is dead because of stuff like this.

CL82

Reaction Score
This is why contracts exist. Literally this is the point of contracts.

Exactly. The purpose of contracts are to memorialize the agreement of the parties so that there is certainty as as the what the respective rights and obligations are of the parties. In this case there was a specified outcome for actions that violated NCAA or university rules and regs. That consequence was it allowed termination of the contract.

Life isn't black and white but contracts often are. This is one of those cases.

Uh, first, this isn't a blog but second getting on another team's board and an accusing the school of institutional dishonesty is trolling. I've always found that behavior pitiful. One wonders how someone's life could be so empty that doing that that level of attention seeking behavior seems preferable to doing, well pretty much anything else.

Anyway, I hope this helped.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uh, first, this isn't a blog but second getting on another team's board and an accusing the school of institutional dishonesty is trolling. I've always found that behavior pitiful.

So if I agree with your opinions, I am a supportive blog member (though my allegiance is to another school). But if I disagree I am a troll (whom seems to get a name-calling response from CL82 every time, but that's not trolling).

I think UConn's brand has a lot of value and they add to the Big East. "good boy".

I think Hurley is a good hire and he will rebuild successfully. "good boy"

I think KO got screwed by the university and they inflated his misdeeds to reduce his severance pay. "you be a troll".

I have always found name calling in a debate to be weak, pitiful behavior. Why can't we just have different opinions?

My life is pretty good btw.

Reaction Score
I agree with this sentiment. I am told it is my imagination.
People keep saying that but the answer is no. The NCAA is not allowed to rule on the content of college classes and never ever will be nor should it be. Once you let them do that it opens every sort of bogeyman.

Reaction Score
So if I agree with your opinions, I am a supportive blog member (though my allegiance is to another school). But if I disagree I am a troll (whom seems to get a name-calling response from CL82 every time, but that's not trolling).

I think UConn's brand has a lot of value and they add to the Big East. "good boy".

I think Hurley is a good hire and he will rebuild successfully. "good boy"

I think KO got screwed by the university and they inflated his misdeeds to reduce his severance pay. "you be a troll".

I have always found name calling in a debate to be weak, pitiful behavior. Why can't we just have different opinions?

My life is pretty good btw.

View attachment 45076
Inflating his misdeeds? He knowingly violated NCAA rules then lied to the University and the NCAA about it. He got a 3 year show cause.

It's all incredibly simple don't suck/quit doing your job, don't violate rules especially when your contract clearly states this would be a breach of contract, don't lie to your employer when you're caught, and don't lie to the NCAA when caught.

Basically don't suck and cheat.

You've made a ton of posts about this and clearly have no idea what took place. I'll assume this is a troll job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom