Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My problem is when a recruit sees the KO situation, that can be explained away, but the Ray Allen developing situation will not help. To dismiss it is short sighted. I am pretty sure he was the narrator on Coach Calhoun's Espy. Today's college players actually watch the Espy's. Nothing good can come of this. Taking shots at Ray, I don't like.

Recruits don’t care.

Ray Allen played at UConn six years before these kids were born. If they’ve ever seen him play basketball, it was as a role player on the Heat.

We’re not recruiting off Ray Allen any more.

Reaction Score
Aren’t we losing sight of something important here? Ray was on the phone trying to help KO and UCONN talking to a recruit legally we believe, is that right? To help our program. So we have idiots ripping one of if not our most successful NBA player ever because he didn’t re sign with the Celts when he was a FA?
Exactly this! Here's one of our greatest ambassador's and first Hall of Fame player in UConn history, being thrown to the wolves by the BY for daring to defend himself legally and having the nerve to try & stand up for his friend. He was recruiting, trying to help out the program, so why the rush to crap all over him? And if this keeps dragging out, how many former Huskies are going to be willing to help if asked? The longer this goes on the worst it gets. They're no winners here, despite what the "not a penny" crowd wants to say.

Reaction Score
Recruits don’t care.

Ray Allen played at UConn six years before these kids were born. If they’ve ever seen him play basketball, it was as a role player on the Heat.

Really, then why was he calling recruits for KO? Fair question?

Reaction Score
Can't allow Ray to disassociate himself from Storrs because of this. My understanding is this has really pissed him off. Never was upset they fired KO but them involving him in his buddies destruction is making him very upset.
Why because it will make you sad? 99% of current recruits couldn’t pick Ray Allen out of a lineup and the 1% who can would say he played for the Heat.

C

Chief00

Exactly this! Here's one of our greatest ambassador's and first Hall of Fame player in UConn history, being thrown to the wolves by the BY for daring to defend himself legally and having the nerve to try & stand up for his friend. He was recruiting, trying to help out the program, so why the rush to crap all over him? And if this keeps dragging out, how many former Huskies are going to be willing to help if asked? The longer this goes on the worst it gets. They're no winners here, despite what the "not a penny" crowd wants to say.
KO has turned into a totally selfish and absorbed guy. Though why is UConn doing this with Ray? I am not close enough to know all the details of the case. Given the volumes of evidence that they have on KO is the benefit worth the cost? Maybe in a strictly legal sense it is - you never have too much incriminating evidence, but not the big picture.
UConn has a really shocking need for some reasonably smart people in leadership, and that has not been the case the last 8 years. I hope the new President cleans house and brings in smart people, with good judgement, who can execute a plan.

Reaction Score
KO has turned into a totally selfish and absorbed guy. Though why is UConn doing this with Ray? I am not close enough to know all the details of the case. Given the volumes of evidence that they have on KO is the benefit worth the cost? Maybe in a strictly legal sense it is - you never have too much incriminating evidence, but not the big picture.
UConn has a really shocking need for some reasonably smart people in leadership, and that has not been the case the last 8 years. I hope the new President cleans house and brings in smart people, with good judgement, who can execute a plan.

Having to fight the professor union is the reason. No way the coaches should be in this union. Unions mainly protect the losers and incompetents. Ollie's lawyer fought Trinity College in the past.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Ray sits on the Board of Trustees , right?
You just don't hold that position and publicly dis the University.
This long time Ray fanatic is very disappointed.
Shut up and deal with it internally.

Reaction Score
Da... UConn Foundation Board of Directors
Ah, Ray’s not a BoT member which could also be somewhat inconvenient to uncomfortable as being on the Foundation board. Thanks for the clarification.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It wasn't directed at you, personally.

I'm sad for you guys collectively that Ray Allen is being treated like a criminal by your university.
He's probably my all-time favorite among your players. Always thought he was classy, and a great player.
Well this is the worst endorsement imaginable

Reaction Score
Recruits don’t care.

He got game is still relevant

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who said that?
Me. You quoted me, right?

The point is a deposition isn't a fawning interview by a sportswriter. It is a focused oral examination of someone with knowledge relevant to a legal matter. I'm pretty confident that he wasn't "badgered" or in any way treated inappropriately. He was asked questions and expected to be responsive. That's how process works, even if you are the greatest NBA three point shooter of all time.

I'm sad for you guys collectively that Ray Allen is being treated like a criminal by your university.
He's probably my all-time favorite among your players. Always thought he was classy, and a great player.
Yeah, I'm calling BS on this. Ray wasn't treated like a criminal and you know that. You used to troll better.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

These types of situations are going to keep happening because KO has no case. The only way he can squeeze a few bucks out of the University is to create these types of embarrassing/uncomfortable situations for his “friends” and hope they pressure the University to end this circus as they incur legal expenses and turn over records.
This is the strategy of KO’s legal team and Ray Allen needs to open his eyes to it. Instinctively, he doesn’t see it because the University is requesting stuff of him not KO - but he needs to peel back the onion and see that KO is the root cause and it’s actually his legal strategy that’s causing all this.

Chief keeps it real.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
These types of situations are going to keep happening because KO has no case. The only way he can squeeze a few bucks out of the University is to create these types of embarrassing/uncomfortable situations for his “friends” and hope they pressure the University to end this circus as they incur legal expenses and turn over records.
This is the strategy of KO’s legal team and Ray Allen needs to open his eyes to it. Instinctively, he doesn’t see it because the University is requesting stuff of him not KO - but he needs to peel back the onion and see that KO is the root cause and it’s actually his legal strategy that’s causing all this.

Chief keeps it real.

Nailed it. UConn is merely defending itself from KO’s lawsuit. Ray needs to re-evaluate his decision to put his friendship with Kevin ahead of his relationship with UConn and of the truth. If he felt badgered by this deposition it was almost certainly because he didn’t want to admit the truth. As to the subpoena his lawyers response is standard for such a request. UConn likely has KOs phone records, but if he used a burner phone to call or text Ray it would show up on that end.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Recruits don’t care.

Right. Recruits don't care who went to a school. Are you saying they also don't care what conference a school is in, or how many championships a school has won? Just want to know which parts of a program's history you think are important, and which ones you think aren't, as if all of these could be separated.

Say what you want about Ollie now, but I have been saying since 2012 that our conference affiliation was going to sink the basketball program, and it didn't matter who was coach. Because despite the logical incoherence that most of this board has on what is important to recruits, conference affiliation is critically important in recruiting. Ollie wasn't a good enough coach to pull off keeping UConn at a high level in the AAC, and Hurley isn't either. Luckily, we will never have to prove it with Hurley.

The Athletic Department signed a stupid contract with Ollie, and doesn't want to pay it. That is their decision. They are going scorched earth with everyone in Ollie's and UConn's overlapping orbits. Also their decision. But no one should pretend UConn is anywhere near the moral high ground on this issue.

Reaction Score
Would it be reasonable to say that every kid has different reasons to like or dislike a school? I don't think we can make blanket statements.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Right. Recruits don't care who went to a school. Are you saying they also don't care what conference a school is in, or how many championships a school has won? Just want to know which parts of a program's history you think are important, and which ones you think aren't, as if all of these could be separated.

Say what you want about Ollie now, but I have been saying since 2012 that our conference affiliation was going to sink the basketball program, and it didn't matter who was coach. Because despite the logical incoherence that most of this board has on what is important to recruits, conference affiliation is critically important in recruiting. Ollie wasn't a good enough coach to pull off keeping UConn at a high level in the AAC, and Hurley isn't either. Luckily, we will never have to prove it with Hurley.

The Athletic Department signed a stupid contract with Ollie, and doesn't want to pay it. That is their decision. They are going scorched earth with everyone in Ollie's and UConn's overlapping orbits. Also their decision. But no one should pretend UConn is anywhere near the moral high ground on this issue.

That is not what I said - I said recruits don't care where Ray Allen went to school.

Because they don't. His day is long gone.

UConn signed an absolutely normal contract with Kevin Ollie; he was so unbelievably stupid that he violated the simplest clause in the world and then tried to call in a buddy to try to contrive a story to get him out of hot water.

And then, horrors, Ray Allen got deposed.

That's how it all works, buttercup.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That is not what I said - I said recruits don't care where Ray Allen went to school.

Because they don't. His day is long gone.

UConn signed an absolutely normal contract with Kevin Ollie; he was so unbelievably stupid that he violated the simplest clause in the world and then tried to call in a buddy to try to contrive a story to get him out of hot water.

And then, horrors, Ray Allen got deposed.

That's how it all works, buttercup.

Ollie got fired because he was losing. There is no other reason. Sean Miller and whoever that scumbag at LSU is still have jobs after getting busted on wiretap paying players, but UConn has dramatized an illegal practice and a phone call from a Hall of Famer into a termination event because it didn't want to pay Ollie $10 million of severance.

UConn owed that much because it had signed a P6 level contract with Ollie despite the fact that it was a mid-major school, and couldn't afford to pay the termination provision.

Now this board has gone from bashing Ollie, a national champion winning coach, to bashing Ray Allen, one of the greatest players in UConn history. This whole board needs to check itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom