Precious Achiuwa update 4/23 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Precious Achiuwa update 4/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Then I'm very curious what this post means
I never said that we shouldn't take Precious if we could get him. Others made the argument that having more NBA alumni is a boom for recruiting. It helps but my opinion is building an NCAA tourney team in the next few years is more important and if we lost out on Precious it wouldn't be the end of the world.
BTW, I probably responded to the wrong post.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I never said that we shouldn't take Precious if we could get him. Others made the argument that having more NBA alumni is a boom for recruiting. It helps but my opinion is building an NCAA tourney team in the next few years is more important and if we lost out on Precious it wouldn't be the end of the world.
BTW, I probably responded to the wrong post.
I totally agree with your last point. As far as one and done guys go, I'm not convinced that they add value at all. I'm not sure that Drummond did anything great for the life of the program or recruiting and he was pretty raw during his year with us. But I wouldn't turn down a potential one and done because sometimes they don't leave after a year. Roll the dice and hope that if it's only for a year, the guy turns out to be our Carmelo Anthony.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I totally agree with your last point. As far as one and done guys go, I'm not convinced that they add value at all. I'm not sure that Drummond did anything great for the life of the program or recruiting and he was pretty raw during his year with us. But I wouldn't turn down a potential one and done because sometimes they don't leave after a year. Roll the dice and hope that if it's only for a year, the guy turns out to be our Carmelo Anthony.

Not to beat an old dead horse--let me grab my club--but that was because of KO.

With the right recruiters, it helps. This program obviously is desperate to recruit some big men. Being able to point to one in the NBA is meaningful. Not a deal sealer in and of itself, but a feather in their cap.

It's also meaningful when Dre pumps UCONN on social media during the season. Social media's reach with and influence on young players is significant.

EOD, need everything we can get.

Reaction Score
What do you mean by "very few good ones"? I know we are down in #s, but we still have a lot of good ones in Kemba, Andre, Lamb and Rudy.

Those are 4 good ones.

A lot of schools have a dozen NBA players, but they have about 4 good ones.
don't forget Cliff Robinson. That dude is gonna play forever.

Reaction Score

Quinones also said, "Precious Achiuwa was initially skeptical of teaming up with him at Memphis. Then he took his official visit last week. Afterward, Achiuwa called him and said he needed to reconsider."

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As far as one and done guys go, I'm not convinced that they add value at all. I'm not sure that Drummond did anything great for the life of the program or recruiting and he was pretty raw during his year with us. But I wouldn't turn down a potential one and done because sometimes they don't leave after a year. Roll the dice and hope that if it's only for a year, the guy turns out to be our Carmelo Anthony.

Keep beating the horse - some of you guys will never stop - what the hell does KO have to do with Drummond in the context he is referring to? Oh yeah KO was responsible for everything AD did or more accurately, didn't do, at UConn?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

Keep beating the horse - some of you guys will never stop - what the hell does KO have to do with Drummond in the context he is referring to? Oh yeah KO was responsible for everything AD did or more accurately, didn't do, at UConn?
There's nothing more ironic than you telling someone they're beating a dead horse. Don't throw stones from your glass house.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Is it really? How has it meaningfully helped the program?

It keeps the name/brand in the public eye, especially with all the young kids. So when Hurley and Co. walk into a room, there's at least some sort of gravitas.
It's an awareness/talking point thing. Don't over blow it or anything.

It hasn't helped previously because the guy running the program was asleep at the wheel.

Reaction Score
These top guys want to play with each other. My guess is he joins Memphis by the middle of next week.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I want the AAC to have final four teams and hype, so if that means Memphis becomes something then so be it. UConn’s rise over the next four years will need an in conference rivalry to juice the fans and elevate the national interest.

Reaction Score
I needed a new conference arch enemy now that Cronin is gone.....

Reaction Score
Memphis very soon. They could sign Lester, Boogie, and Precious. Would be a hell of a class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom