Precious Achiuwa update 4/23 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Precious Achiuwa update 4/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a son playing college basketball, his view of K, Self or Roy Williams is light years ahead of Penny.

If your son sees those coaches as lightyears ahead of Penny, its likely because he comes from a different culture and background than the Memphis recruits.
A lot of recruits see Penny as the archetype of who they want to be.

Reaction Score
It’s really simple. No one lands that much talent cleanly, no one. Calipari, K, Self, Miller, you name it. All are filthy and it has been proven over and over again. Stop drinking the Kool Aid. You don’t land all those guys without paying them. Nobody ever has and nobody ever will. If I’m a top recruit choosing between Memphis and UNC, Kansas or Duke, only one thing would make me pick Memphis and it isn’t Penny. I have a son playing college basketball, his view of K, Self or Roy Williams is light years ahead of Penny. On top of that, it’s Memphis. This is getting so old, when a program gets a ton of guys, they are cheating. JC had everything going for him and he never recruited like this. Even when he supposedly cheated, the charges we so vague and uncertain compared to what we’ve seen lately. Memphis? Too good to be true.

Let's see how Memphis does with Hampton, Precious and Watford before you freak out. Memphis has landed #1, 48, 56, 98, 107 and a top grad transfer. Great for Memphis. Not even historically rare for Memphis. And Penny coached #1. You make it seem like they were Duke landing #1, 2 and 3 last year.

Reaction Score
Wow, that’s low. Assuming my sons is racist because he thinks playing for Coach K or Roy is better that Penny is unreal. Loser.
I actually meant to insinuate that it's sketch that your son would rather play for coaches who are widely believed to be rampant cheaters/above the law. Penny has done nothing wrong, you are just being a hater and I guess I'm sticking up for Penny because there just is no smoke whatsoever as of now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That might say more about your son than it does Penny.
Or he may value proven coaching experience over a stellar NBA career. I've said this before. Right now Penny is trading on his NBA career. He drew in a ton of talent. Now let's see if can coach them. If he can, he'll be a force to be reckoned with in college hoops for long time.

Reaction Score
Or he may value proven coaching experience over a stellar NBA career. I've said this before. Right now Penny is trading on his NBA career. He drew in a ton of talent. Now let's see if can coach them. If he can, he'll be a force to be reckoned with in college hoops for long time.
Penny had a few great years and then injuries robbed him of a stellar NBA career. His shoes may still be popular but this isn't Drexler or Mullin we're talking about.

Reaction Score
I actually meant to insinuate that it's sketch that your son would rather play for coaches who are widely believed to be rampant cheaters/above the law. Penny has done nothing wrong, you are just being a hater and I guess I'm sticking up for Penny because there just is no smoke whatsoever as of now.
You find it sketchy that a kid would rather play for 3 of the best coaches in CBB history over a first year head coach? There's a lot of strange takes on the BY but this one may take the cake

Reaction Score
You find it sketchy that a kid would rather play for 3 of the best coaches in CBB history over a first year head coach? There's a lot of strange takes on the BY but this one may take the cake

What kids value in a coach is arbitrary.
It didn't take the Texas Tech coach very long into his college coaching career to get in on decent talent.

Reaction Score
It didn't take the Texas Tech coach very long into his college coaching career to get in on decent talent.
And that has what to do with my point?

Reaction Score

Not a great example. Beard scouted well. His team was built on the back of 3 stars.

Reaction Score

None of these kids ever saw Penny play. But his shoes are still very popular with kids and he’s made a lot of money for Nike, who is likely helping him.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
None of these kids ever saw Penny play. But his shoes are still very popular with kids and he’s made a lot of money for Nike, who is likely helping him.

Yeah, and it’s not just the shoes. He’s a local legend and a one word name player. Lebron, Kobe, Magic, Penny. You know them from just the one name. Lots of guys better than Penny won’t have that kind of celebrity really. He built a good staff and Memphis is probably attractive to a lot of kids.

Reaction Score
Penny is like a father figure to so many of these local kids who run through the Memphis area AAU circuit. He has been helping out so many for years and most of these relationships were not just formed over night. Penny is a good dude and has done a lot in that community. That being said, its not likely that Nike is helping him. NIKE is helping him.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
One thing Penny has going for him that has not been mentioned is that he is new. Bringing in something new is very appealing to young people. Most kids think they want to make history, not relive it. To be out on the cutting edge is exciting. Besides Penny's pitch may also be that he can do more than win college games, he can get you ready for the BIG show. He is the only head coach who has the experience to train you to not only be an all-American but an all-star because he has been both. He can get you ready to experience the NBA life-style and he will be there for you beyond college. That's a great pitch. If I could go back 55 years, He would be my number 1 choice.

I see no reason to doubt Penny is clean and to assume it without some facts is just as bad as if I started posting that you are cheating on your spouse or stealing from the church.

Reaction Score
The Hurley grind will pay off.
I believe(hope) this to be 100% true but this spring has been a disappointment so far. No one way can criticize Hurley and the staff for their "grind" and their approach is a complete 180 from the past few years, but my concerns about recruiting top talent to UConn are growing. To me, they still earn a pass for this spring but 2020 will be the real test. My fear is that Kofi was foreshadowing. Hurley's grind will get us on a bunch of final lists. The real question is will they be able to close.

Reaction Score
Without the Wiseman commitment in November, I don't think Penny would be hauling in so many top recruits right now. Landing the #1 recruit made it a lot easier for others to commit to an unproven, albeit cool, Head Coach.

Reaction Score
I believe(hope) this to be 100% true but this spring has been a disappointment so far. No one way can criticize Hurley and the staff for their "grind" and their approach is a complete 180 from the past few years, but my concerns about recruiting top talent to UConn are growing. To me, they still earn a pass for this spring but 2020 will be the real test. My fear is that Kofi was foreshadowing. Hurley's grind will get us on a bunch of final lists. The real question is will they be able to close.
Who have we missed on in the spring? You're blaming Hurley for kids not choosing fast enough?

Reaction Score
Kofi is the only priority recruit(1st option) that has turned Hurley down so far. Precious most likely will be the second but Hurley went 3-5 this cycle with 3 top 100 guys. Our future outlook looks fine. RJ Cole and Ntambwe who have been priorities this spring are by all accounts possible UConn leans. Let’s wait and see how he finishes this off. I will admit that the consistent inability to land a real BIG man is frustrating as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom