Precious Achiuwa update 4/23 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Precious Achiuwa update 4/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

Winning it all right away was the worst thing that could've happened to him, it led to him ruining his coaching career and personal life.
I actually think there’s some truth to that. It did get to his head and he failed to capitalize on the championship recruiting wise when it became all about Diamond Stone. He channeled more time into his personal life and luxury and did less grind recruiting multiple players and maintaining communication with current players.

C

Chief00

I've been saying it for years. He thought he had it all figured out after that. Basically told Calhoun to screw, wandered in his personal life, stopped putting in the work. It was the start of it all going to shambles.

His ego is enormous and a big part of his downfall.

Can’t argue with any of that.

Reaction Score
I've been saying it for years. He thought he had it all figured out after that. Basically told Calhoun to screw, wandered in his personal life, stopped putting in the work. It was the start of it all going to shambles.

His ego is enormous and a big part of his downfall.

My wife and I were surprised by Ollie's reaction to us when we saw him after one of Calhoun's Mohegan Sun All-Star games after Ollie's NBA days had ended. I said hi and asked how he was doing before I realized he was on his cell phone and he said nothing but gave me a look that spoke volumes............like "get the hell away from me". Shocking to us because a friend (pharmacist) who knew them when they lived in Bridgeport when Ollie was struggling to make it to the NBA had spoken highly of him and his wife and how nice they were to deal with. Maybe ego, maybe something important that I interrupted, but his demeanor didn't fit what I'd been told about him.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Penny is like a father figure to so many of these local kids who run through the Memphis area AAU circuit. He has been helping out so many for years and most of these relationships were not just formed over night. Penny is a good dude and has done a lot in that community. That being said, its not likely that Nike is helping him. NIKE is helping him.
Excellent point and funny too.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
My wife and I were surprised by Ollie's reaction to us when we saw him after one of Calhoun's Mohegan Sun All-Star games after Ollie's NBA days had ended. I said hi and asked how he was doing before I realized he was on his cell phone and he said nothing but gave me a look that spoke volumes..like "get the hell away from me". Shocking to us because a friend (pharmacist) who knew them when they lived in Bridgeport when Ollie was struggling to make it to the NBA had spoken highly of him and his wife and how nice they were to deal with. Maybe ego, maybe something important that I interrupted, but his demeanor didn't fit what I'd been told about him.

That's not like him at all

Reaction Score
My wife and I were surprised by Ollie's reaction to us when we saw him after one of Calhoun's Mohegan Sun All-Star games after Ollie's NBA days had ended. I said hi and asked how he was doing before I realized he was on his cell phone and he said nothing but gave me a look that spoke volumes..like "get the hell away from me". Shocking to us because a friend (pharmacist) who knew them when they lived in Bridgeport when Ollie was struggling to make it to the NBA had spoken highly of him and his wife and how nice they were to deal with. Maybe ego, maybe something important that I interrupted, but his demeanor didn't fit what I'd been told about him.

You would actually judge a person -- even a little -- by how they react when you interrupt them on a phone call? Seriously.

This may be why no one likes lawyers.

Reaction Score

So you judge an entire person by one look? It's a bit harsh, no?

Reaction Score

Post/handle

[cant believe I got to this first]

Reaction Score
I think Ollies marital situation was devastating and there is a direct correlation between the teams decline and the reports of his circumstances and I can’t say I’m surprised. As for the championship, Ollie defeated 3 Hall of Fame coaches as well as one shoo-in w/ 1 NBA player. It is one of the greatest coaching feats in NCAA basketball history.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think Ollies marital situation was devastating and there is a direct correlation between the teams decline and the reports of his circumstances and I can’t say I’m surprised. As for the championship, Ollie defeated 3 Hall of Fame coaches as well as one shoo-in w/ 1 NBA player. It is one of the greatest coaching feats in NCAA basketball history.
People forget about who he had to beat in that run. I think that keeping the team together and motivated plus that NCAA run was an outstanding coaching job.

After that... not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69