Precious Achiuwa update 4/23 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Precious Achiuwa update 4/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kofi is the only priority recruit(1st option) that has turned Hurley down so far. Precious most likely will be the second but Hurley went 3-5 this cycle with 3 top 100 guys. Our future outlook looks fine. RJ Cole and Ntambwe who have been priorities this spring are by all accounts possible UConn leans. Let’s wait and see how he finishes this off. I will admit that the consistent inability to land a real BIG man is frustrating as hell
Where did you read Cole and Ntambwe are UConn leans? Ntambwe is not coming here and other posters have suggested that they are hearing the opposite on Cole.

Reaction Score
My personal opinion is Penny is going to be KO 2.0. Not one of these former NBA players has panned out as a big time college coach because none of them want to put in the effort. They may all have a recruiting advantage, but as Calipari has shown almost every year, recruiting is only half (or even less) of the equation. If you can’t get your team to play team defense and work toward the benefit of the team them recruiting doesn’t matter. How often has Kentucky landed 3-4 top 10 players only to lose in the sweet 16 or elite 8? Talent will take you to a point, but coaching in college is such a huge part. That’s why I have a lot of confidence in Hurley, he’s more of a Chris Beard type who can take a 3 star and make them into a 4 year contributor and possibly get them into the league.

The recipe for success in the NCAA tournament is still to have 1 or 2 star players (4 or 5 star recruits) with a cast of junior and senior role players. Almost every championship team hasn’t been constructed this way.

Reaction Score
Where did you read Cole and Ntambwe are UConn leans? Ntambwe is not coming here and other posters have suggested that they are hearing the opposite on Cole.
I haven't seen anyone suggest Cole is going elsewhere. Just this morning the opposite was implied and we'll get him

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hardaway will work harder than Ollie did and probably doesn't have some of the personal baggage that our guy started to carry around.

Can he coach or manage a program? I dunno - we'll find out - but given that he's basically an AAU god, you knew he would be able to get players.

Reaction Score
My personal opinion is Penny is going to be KO 2.0. Not one of these former NBA players has panned out as a big time college coach because none of them want to put in the effort. They may all have a recruiting advantage, but as Calipari has shown almost every year, recruiting is only half (or even less) of the equation. If you can’t get your team to play team defense and work toward the benefit of the team them recruiting doesn’t matter. How often has Kentucky landed 3-4 top 10 players only to lose in the sweet 16 or elite 8? Talent will take you to a point, but coaching in college is such a huge part. That’s why I have a lot of confidence in Hurley, he’s more of a Chris Beard type who can take a 3 star and make them into a 4 year contributor and possibly get them into the league.

The recipe for success in the NCAA tournament is still to have 1 or 2 star players (4 or 5 star recruits) with a cast of junior and senior role players. Almost every championship team hasn’t been constructed this way.
I agree the stars are great and attract attention but developing guys with a little lower profile and potential is the way this program was built in the first place.

Reaction Score

You say Penny will be KO 2.0 but then bring up Calipari to prove your point. If Penny is like Calipari then he will be a massive success.

Reaction Score
It was reported the Ntambwe wanted to commit but that our scholarship situation prevented that. UNLV insiders were implying his UConn lean right after the visit

Reaction Score
I haven't seen anyone suggest Cole is going elsewhere. Just this morning the opposite was implied and we'll get him
I must have missed that. A poster a few weeks back suggested he was hearing that Alabama was a real player here. In fact, two posters have suggested that. Where was it implied we are getting him?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let’s complete the cycle and see what we have this season. Quite frankly, we already have 3 key players, and we will get more.
Totally agree here. This is already our 2nd highest ranked recruiting class in the last ten years. Hurley's team has done well and it has a chance to get even better.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I believe(hope) this to be 100% true but this spring has been a disappointment so far. No one way can criticize Hurley and the staff for their "grind" and their approach is a complete 180 from the past few years, but my concerns about recruiting top talent to UConn are growing. To me, they still earn a pass for this spring but 2020 will be the real test. My fear is that Kofi was foreshadowing. Hurley's grind will get us on a bunch of final lists. The real question is will they be able to close.
would your opinion on 'spring disappointment' be different if our big 3 signings were announced in spring instead of winter?

Reaction Score
I must have missed that. A poster a few weeks back suggested he was hearing that Alabama was a real player here.
Yeah seems to be between us and Alabama. Maybe it's just the optimist in me, but I take it as a good sign that he left his visit with Bama without commiting and is waiting 3 weeks to still come visit here

C

Chief00

Hardaway will work harder than Ollie did and probably doesn't have some of the personal baggage that our guy started to carry around.

Can he coach or manage a program? I dunno - we'll find out - but given that he's basically an AAU god, you knew he would be able to get players.
That’s the one thing I will never understand about KO (except with some kind of psychological change) how he stopped working. The same guy I would see early weekend mornings with Patrick Knight at the former Aetna Institute gym, stealing that extra sweat and workout during his CT Pride days. I get where he did not have the program management ability - I absolutely am not surprised by that. But, the work ethic falloff and poor relationships with his players (except a few favorites) that surprises me to this day.

Reaction Score
That’s the one thing I will never understand about KO (except with some kind of psychological change) how he stopped working. The same guy I would see early weekend mornings with Patrick Knight at the former Aetna Institute gym, stealing that extra sweat and workout during his CT Pride days. I get where he did not have the program management ability - I absolutely am not surprised by that. But, the work ethic falloff and poor relationships with his players (except a few favorites) that surprises me to this day.
Yes, a lot of what happened with KO the last few years is as shocking as it is confusing. I am not sure some of it will ever make sense.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Screw Memphis.

I only root for UConn and their recruiting. Memphis is the flavor of the day now with Penny and a number of top players flocking there

C

Chief00

Screw Memphis.

I only root for UConn and their recruiting. Memphis is the flavor of the day now with Penny and a number of top players flocking there

I get the sentiment and Liked it bug there is also something to be said for other teams doing well in your conference. That will help UConn long term.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, a lot of what happened with KO the last few years is as shocking as it is confusing. I am not sure some of it will ever make sense.

I think eventually enough pieces of the puzzle will come together for it to make sense. But yeah, the way he changed is confusing and shocking to most of us right now.

Reaction Score
The most likely explanation to me is that for K.O., being a HC (and all that that title entails) was the first thing he was truly not naturally good at. It's an ironic twist, that the coach known for his go-getter, "always learning and improving" platitudes ultimately learned helplessness after struggling with this huge challenge.

Reaction Score
He had success. Maybe(speculation)he thought he did it himself. Started doing things his way, but really had no clue what he needed to do. Hard work is great, smart work is better.

Reaction Score
He had success. Maybe(speculation)he thought he did it himself. Started doing things his way, but really had no clue what he needed to do. Hard work is great, smart work is better.
Winning it all right away was the worst thing that could've happened to him, it led to him ruining his coaching career and personal life.

Reaction Score
Winning it all right away was the worst thing that could've happened to him, it led to him ruining his coaching career and personal life.
I am only guessing, but it is not a real stretch. something happened. All this they won in spite of him is BS. He got them to perform. He recruited highly sought players. Then they underachieved and defected in mass. Not a real reach to think too much too soon.

Reaction Score
I love how people say you have to root for Memphis and others in the AAC to be good. When those teams get picked over us next realignment those same people will be the ones bitchin about us not getting invited.

Reaction Score
lolwut?

That's a pretty big jump dude.
If you've been paying any attention to this board and the KO situation this isn't even a small jump, or a surprise, or a new statement. Might as well be written in stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom