Post game thoughts... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Post game thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Did Saniya just lose her starting spot?

Have we already forgotten Saniya's fine performance in the previous game? Fickle fans, are we not? Great performance by Crystal Dangerfield, but different players will rise to the occasion each game, some perhaps more often than others, but we shouldn't write off one player based on only one game. GO CRYSTAL, GO SANIYA, GO HUSKIES!

Reaction Score
That was fun. Not quite sure why the dead ball technical was called....

As to the deadball technical. On that play, as I recall, the first call by the official was ball out of bounds to UConn. Then, one of the referees called the others over and went to the video monitor. What had happened was that on the play, after the whistle had been blown with the initial call of out of bounds, the Baylor player elbowed our player in the neck, knocking her down. Since this occurred after the play had been blown dead, and after enough of an interval after the whistle had blown that the Baylor player ought to have known that, it is, by rule, a deadball technical foul, since it cannot be a common foul, having occurred at a time when the clock was stopped and the ball dead.

I think the interesting thing on that is that Geno did something few coaches do in such a situation. When there is a technical foul, the coach may designate any player (whether in the game or on the bench -- it is the one exception to the normal rule that any substitute has to remain in the game for one tick of the clock before leaving; a coach can take a player off the bench to shoot the free throws without inserting them into the game) to take the free throws. Since Dangerfield is a freshman he probably was afraid that the moment might make her a bit nervous, so designated Katie Lou to take them. I think a smart choice in the event.

Reaction Score
At the press conference, Geno was asked to compare Crystal to Mo. He gave a beautiful answer, to wit: Crystal is ahead of Mo after two games, but Crystal has a long, long way to go to catch up to where Mo ended up.

But considering the big game pressure, it really boggles the mind how well Crystal played. She'll have her down games, too, but her potential to take over a game is always there.

I watched the presser online, and Geno's comment after the comparison was also interesting. He said the thing about Moriah is that when we were recruiting her and she was a freshman, he would ask the assistant coaches, "So what can she do?" and they would say, "Well, she's fast." He would then ask, "And what else?" And they would say "She's very fast." And he would then ask, "Anything else?" And they would say, "Well, she's really quick." His way of saying that she came in with her speed being her trademark, and had still to work on what to do with it.

I think that is why a lot of us are thinking, and not unreasonably, that Crystal at game two is better than Moriah was at game two. After this performance, I would have absolutely NO hesitation "handing her the keys" in a big game. She has clearly shown she can handle it without driving the car into a ditch, if folks will pardon my extension of the metaphor.

Reaction Score
Can UConn take another transfer this year?
As far as I am aware -- we do not currently have a roster of fifteen, which is the NCAA limit. Of course, any such transfer would have to sit out one calendar year after doing so per NCAA rules. The problem with transferring mid-year is that means that your eligibility ends in midseason. If a player transfers after their second year at a school, for instance, they have to sit out a year, but then have two years of eligibility at their new school. If a player transfers midseason, first off, it has to be between semesters; then, if, for example, a player transferred after their freshman year and one semester of their second, they would sit out a year, then be able to play two full seasons plus only the fall semester of a third. So you would have a player that you could only play through the middle of December, and then they would be out of eligibility, which would make the rest of that season rather odd.

Reaction Score
I love Rebecca ! Not "love love" but she is just cool ot listen to.

With that said- her and kara crack me up and it looks like SueBird is in on it too.

Rebecca and Kara are soooooo into post play. Meg has a bit of that too. And Bird is so into guard play.

Speaking of Sue Bird, not sure if anyone heard -- she was on the WTIC afternoon sports show yesterday afternoon, before the game. She was quite funny. Told several interesting stories about playing basketball overseas.

Here are my two favorites:

1. Andy Gresh asks her, so how does it happen you end up playing in Russia? Does some guy named Boris call and say, "Hello, Sue Bird, I want you to come play for my women's basketball team in Russia. Are you interested?" (Said with a nice fake Russian accent.) And Sue replies, "Well, sort of. It so happens my agent's name over there IS Boris, and he calls me up and tells me what teams are interested." She says all this without laughing which I find amazing -- of all the Russian names, Gresh just happens to hit on the one that matched Sue's agent's name.

2. Gresh asks her to tell her favorite story of playing in Russia. Sue says it was in her first game. She knows no Russian and her coach no English. Their team is down a point with twenty seconds to play. Coach calls timeout, draws up a play. Sue says, "Now of course, I have NO idea what this play is, and here I am the point guard who's supposed to run it." Thankfully there was a player on the team from France who understood Russian and spoke English, so she comes and tells Sue what the drawn-up play was. Sue ran the drawn play, and they won the game. I just find it hilarious that it seemed not to occur to the coach that SOMEBODY ought to clue in the POINT GUARD as to the desired play!

The Bird is quite funny!

Reaction Score
As far as I am aware -- we do not currently have a roster of fifteen, which is the NCAA limit. Of course, any such transfer would have to sit out one calendar year after doing so per NCAA rules. The problem with transferring mid-year is that means that your eligibility ends in midseason. If a player transfers after their second year at a school, for instance, they have to sit out a year, but then have two years of eligibility at their new school. If a player transfers midseason, first off, it has to be between semesters; then, if, for example, a player transferred after their freshman year and one semester of their second, they would sit out a year, then be able to play two full seasons plus only the fall semester of a third. So you would have a player that you could only play through the middle of December, and then they would be out of eligibility, which would make the rest of that season rather odd.
If a player transferred at the end of this semester they would be eligible to play after next December when this semester is over then have two full years from the end of the semester that would be considered one year

Reaction Score
As to the deadball technical. On that play, as I recall, the first call by the official was ball out of bounds to UConn. Then, one of the referees called the others over and went to the video monitor. What had happened was that on the play, after the whistle had been blown with the initial call of out of bounds, the Baylor player elbowed our player in the neck, knocking her down. Since this occurred after the play had been blown dead, and after enough of an interval after the whistle had blown that the Baylor player ought to have known that, it is, by rule, a deadball technical foul, since it cannot be a common foul, having occurred at a time when the clock was stopped and the ball dead.

I think the interesting thing on that is that Geno did something few coaches do in such a situation. When there is a technical foul, the coach may designate any player (whether in the game or on the bench -- it is the one exception to the normal rule that any substitute has to remain in the game for one tick of the clock before leaving; a coach can take a player off the bench to shoot the free throws without inserting them into the game) to take the free throws. Since Dangerfield is a freshman he probably was afraid that the moment might make her a bit nervous, so designated Katie Lou to take them. I think a smart choice in the event.

Uconn had just scored on the play so it couldn't have been out of bounds to uconn

Reaction Score
At the press conference, Geno was asked to compare Crystal to Mo. He gave a beautiful answer, to wit: Crystal is ahead of Mo after two games, but Crystal has a long, long way to go to catch up to where Mo ended up.

But considering the big game pressure, it really boggles the mind how well Crystal played. She'll have her down games, too, but her potential to take over a game is always there.

I wouldn't be quite so conservative bags. She made a bunch of big time plays and shots against a highly touted team in her second game here. She came in and ran the show. What other UCONN great did that?
I don't think we would have won the game without her last night.

Reaction Score
Hate to write off Saniya, but how to harness that speed? She seems to be pressing, her status up for grabs, so she shoots quickly, great if it goes in, but she needs patience, to draw the defender and hit the open teammate. The word will be out on Crystal, she'll see double teams or a chaser and we'll need everybody playing together on both ends of the court. Maybe not a surprise to the insiders, but I was worried we had nobody to break down defenses and score with swagger. Dangerfield played under control and took what they gave her, freshman in name only. Two games in but the surprises keep coming.

Reaction Score
Guessing no. Geno is famously loyal to his seniors and Crystal is a heck of a spark off the bench. He also does not make personnel decisions based on one game.
He's also loyal to winning.;)

Reaction Score
Ya know what's amazing? If you bet on UConn tonight, you would have lost! (favored by 13 right?) Funny, doesn't seem so bad to lose, huh?

Would have won. Line went from 13.5 to 7 then to 5.5 Must have had some action on Baylor

Reaction Score
I was really disappointed with Kim. I really enjoy her antics.
She was warned in the first half. Anymore antics would have resulted in a T, and by now she must realize how that can cost her team in a close game that might ultimately be decided by a couple of FTs.

Reaction Score
Guessing no. Geno is famously loyal to his seniors and Crystal is a heck of a spark off the bench. He also does not make personnel decisions based on one game.

I thought he did after the last loss at Stanford. I think it's a tough call right now and wouldn't be surprised if even Geno is still making up his mind.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
UConn is number one until somebody beats them.

What a LEAP 5 11 vs 6 7 center Gabby 5 11 wins !!
15138300_1143989862302735_4547797678108472508_o.jpg

Reaction Score
Well that was fun! Was at the game up in the nosebleed section, but still not bad view.

Let me nominate for a Sixth (wo)man award The UConn Student Section! They were awesome. Packed the section and were loud and positive the whole game. The rest of the crowd was good (I'm still hoarse!) but it was the students who really brought the energy even when things weren't going well.

It would be great if a different player stepped up every game. Makes it even more difficult for other teams to plan.

Crystal Dangerfield was fun to watch. I was reminded of her and Napheesa on the USA team and how well they played. She had and has impressive control and smarts. In the game I saw, I was pleased about UConn's recruits and not that impressed with Cox. She may yet turn out great, but I didn't see it then and I was also concerned about her managing her diabetes in UConn's program.

Nat did some nice stuff. She is one of the few players where the crowd tends to beg her to just shoot!

Geno must have been tired after the game last night. He was extremely active. Really appreciated his substitutions.

Kia was at least more in control although her shot isn't where it was. After the game, she and Gabby did the giveaways. Gabby said "Did you all enjoy me playing 10 minutes because I can't stay out of foul trouble?"

Great team win!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I thought he did after the last loss at Stanford. I think it's a tough call right now and wouldn't be surprised if even Geno is still making up his mind.
Crystal is a freshman. Next game she could have no points and 4 turnovers followed by another 20 point game. Geno expects this from freshmen which is why he prefers not to start them. He would rather have known quantities start the game.

There's been several seasons where he starts a player then subs after 5 minutes (Caroline Doty and Pam Webber come immediately to mind). He said he waited to see if they "had it" that night, if not, he subbed them out. I expect this for Saniya.

Reaction Score
I watched the presser online, and Geno's comment after the comparison was also interesting. He said the thing about Moriah is that when we were recruiting her and she was a freshman, he would ask the assistant coaches, "So what can she do?" and they would say, "Well, she's fast." He would then ask, "And what else?" And they would say "She's very fast." And he would then ask, "Anything else?" And they would say, "Well, she's really quick." His way of saying that she came in with her speed being her trademark, and had still to work on what to do with it.

I think that is why a lot of us are thinking, and not unreasonably, that Crystal at game two is better than Moriah was at game two. After this performance, I would have absolutely NO hesitation "handing her the keys" in a big game. She has clearly shown she can handle it without driving the car into a ditch, if folks will pardon my extension of the metaphor.
Good point. The other thing that Geno pointed out is that Mo didn't have the same training/competition in high school (he didn't mention it but she was home schooled, right?), while Crystal had both high school and international competition. She was more "game ready" coming into UConn.

But for me, the big difference is the consistency of Crystal's outside shooting. I don't think Mo really attained that same consistency until mid-way through her junior year. When she started draining 3s reliably at that point, she was completely unstoppable.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well that was fun! Was at the game up in the nosebleed section, but still not bad view.

Let me nominate for a Sixth (wo)man award The UConn Student Section! They were awesome. Packed the section and were loud and positive the whole game. The rest of the crowd was good (I'm still hoarse!) but it was the students who really brought the energy even when things weren't going well.

It would be great if a different player stepped up every game. Makes it even more difficult for other teams to plan.

Crystal Dangerfield was fun to watch. I was reminded of her and Napheesa on the USA team and how well they played. She had and has impressive control and smarts. In the game I saw, I was pleased about UConn's recruits and not that impressed with Cox. She may yet turn out great, but I didn't see it then and I was also concerned about her managing her diabetes in UConn's program.

Nat did some nice stuff. She is one of the few players where the crowd tends to beg her to just shoot!

Geno must have been tired after the game last night. He was extremely active. Really appreciated his substitutions.

Kia was at least more in control although her shot isn't where it was. After the game, she and Gabby did the giveaways. Gabby said "Did you all enjoy me playing 10 minutes because I can't stay out of foul trouble?"

Great team win!

That's the most impressive dynamic thing about this win. They were able to do it with Gabby on the bench 17 minutes of the first half.

Carnac predicts that Gabby will learn in the next 2 games, how to play (and stay on the floor) without fouling.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice how quiet Nina Davis was? 24 minutes, 0 points 3 assists. She is a great player and I'm not
sure if something was wrong with her. She came out to shoot prior to the game before her teammates did. That
was odd. She has always showed up for big games and I suspect something was not right with her. Maybe it was
the defense we put on her. It just seemed odd to me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Next game she could have no points and 4 turnovers followed by another 20 point game.

Like senior AA candidate Nina Davis? The fact is we've seen enough to know the CD is the real deal whether she starts or not. After 4 years, Chong is still lacking court awareness. Her main function will be to not screw up too much while giving the other guards a blow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom