Post game thoughts... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Post game thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My final thought on the game, because I am about to forget it ever happened: why did Mulkey not keep avoiding UCONN?

The answer is in two parts.

1. Mulkey picked up courage after Stewart, Mo Jeff and Tuck left.

2. After watching sophomore post Kalani Brown record a monster double-double with a career-high 25 points and 19 rebounds, Mulkey shrugged and said that's exactly what she expects. "Quite frankly, I've got a lot of post players I can choose from".

This was Lauren Cox's first National Championship banner hoisting ceremony.

Reaction Score
I think you are correct in their position. However, I don't think TN was ever in the cards for Crystal Dangerfield. She just wanted to play for UCONN.

Reaction Score
To Think both the Summitt and Lady Vol Nation posters (majority ) said Lady Vols weren't interested in Crystal and they already had their PG that was more talented. Probably won't be saying that in the future.

I kept tab on Vol Nation and found this gem:

If Baylor doesn't take care of business in the 4Q, I fear there is no hope this season.

Reaction Score
There is no longer a "core 4" is there? Now there's a core 7: the 5 starters, plus Crystal and Natalie. Each one of them has had her moment; each one could have a break out game. But Geno is also great about throwing the other 2 freshmen in at key times, given them experience under pressure as well. A truly organic team is forming here....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To Think both the Summitt and Lady Vol Nation posters (majority ) said Lady Vols weren't interested in Crystal and they already had their PG that was more talented. Probably won't be saying that in the future.

This is far from the truth

Reaction Score
There is no longer a "core 4" is there? Now there's a core 7: the 5 starters, plus Crystal and Natalie. Each one of them has had her moment; each on could have a break out game. But Geno is also great about throwing the other 2 freshmen in at key times, given them experience under pressure as well. A truly organic team is forming here....

Geno threw them all in towards the end of the second quarter. Nothing like gettin the starting 5 extra rest.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think she did.

She played very little in the second half. CD came in and gave them a spark and energy the team needed in the second half. There was no way Geno was taking her out of the game. She was aggressive, scoring and not turning the ball over.

She was on the floor at the end of the game. She was on the floor when UConn took control of the game for good. Read between the lines here. After tonight, Geno has got to feel he can trust her. He trusted and counted on her against the #2 team in the country, and she came through. Based on UConn's performance tonight, any questions?

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Did Saniya just lose her starting spot?

Not necessarily. Geno starts (or doesn't start) players for reasons beyond the obvious. He had wanted Saniya to attack more, but BU had a bunker defense in the paint, which made Chong's pet move - darting to the basket - somewhat less effective. And that's just one reason. Saniya will have other starts. She can play.

Reaction Score
Kim didn't look good to me. Looked like she'd aged a lot.
Probably even more tonight.

This says it all about the 2 clubs:
  • "Toughness," Mulkey said of the difference between the teams in the stretch drive. Just flat out toughness, taking balls away from posts when they threw it in there. A turnover here or there, just cuts for them on offense. Just toughness. That's all it was."
  • "We are going to put up a fight every game," Samuelson said. "Nobody is going to be able to just take us out and think like, 'Oh, they're just going to lose this game.' We're going to be ready to fight every single game we go into and we know it's going to be difficult each game. But we also know that we want to be in this situation and we just showed that every single night we can have a different person step up and be a big key to our win."
No. 3 UConn women pull away from No. 2 Baylor, 72-61

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Our Women...

true_grit_m.jpg

Reaction Score
There is no longer a "core 4" is there? Now there's a core 7: the 5 starters, plus Crystal and Natalie. Each one of them has had her moment; each one could have a break out game. But Geno is also great about throwing the other 2 freshmen in at key times, given them experience under pressure as well. A truly organic team is forming here....
I'd like to see him play eight or nine on a regular rotation and avoid anymore of this, "look at what they lost" crap. I know ticket buyers come for the show which means winning the game they paid to see but seems like taking a longer view would insure more winning seasons to come?

Reaction Score
Couldn't be more proud of the team. Early in the year, losing the Holy Trinity after last season, BIG time new faces and contributions needed from everyone who could sit back at times last year and watch the seniors make magic... Did anyone expect an 11 point win? I predicted about a 6 point loss and am THRILLED to have been wrong.

The REAL Danger - Crystal Dangerfield - Just give her the keys to the Ferrari NOW? 21 points on 8-14 shooting to go along with 6 assists? And only in her 2nd game in a UCONN uniform. It's going to be VERY had not to expect spectacular things from this terrific young lady.

Forgettable first half for Gabby, but boy did she make up for it the 2nd half. Not sure if the light bulb suddenly came on, but committed no fouls in the 2nd half, and scored most of her 14 points during that frame.

We kind of got crushed on the glass (39-29), but how about Napheese grabbing 11 of them? Sort of an off scoring night at 6 points on 3-7 shooting, but hey, you can't score 25+ every game...

I thought Lou was really solid too. Not "superstar-esque),but she played within herself, and took good shots, making most of them. 16 points was a great effort.

Even thou Nurse didn't shoot well (3-12), most of her shots were good ones, and several rolled around and rimmed out. Oh, and 6 assists to match Crystal in that category.

Wanted to add a shout out to Nat - not a big scoring night but 6 boards, including 3 offensive - she showed toughness, and this might be one of the biggest and strongest teams in the nation. Nat showed she can be a big help, not just a body to throw in there. Not sure what to make of Saniya - thoughts?

Bottom line, a gutty, tough, hard fought win against a probable final 4 team. ANYONE who discounted this team should do so at their own risk. I wonder if the coaches are rethinking moving ND to the top spot after they only beat Green Bay by 4? Also, Lobo said "Baylor is going to be so much better in March". Um ok. How about a young and inexperienced UCONN team? I'd say we have some room to grow too.

I love Rebecca ! Not "love love" but she is just cool ot listen to.

With that said- her and kara crack me up and it looks like SueBird is in on it too.

Rebecca and Kara are soooooo into post play. Meg has a bit of that too. And Bird is so into guard play.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts. Regarding Crystal Dangerfield: Not sure I've ever seen a young point guard move so well without the ball.

Regarding Nat: Great job of going toe to toe with the Baylor Bigs and not picking up wasteful fouls.
I thought Moriah was pretty good without the ball. You might not remember too well because we always felt pretty confident and comfortable when she did have the ball in her hand. I think Moriah can't be surpassed. She's the gold standard though I'm simply amped if Ms. Dangerfield is comparable to Moriah. It seems everyone has got to push a newer player as the best. It was Sue until she got bettered by Moriah until she got bettered by Crystal until she got bettered by ???????.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Because after reviewing it the refs weren't smart enough to call it incidental contact and play on.
Once they call a foul, they cannot un-call it on review. There are very limited things that can be changed on review and a foul call is not one of them. So since the foul was called and it was a dead ball situation it must be a T. Very unlucky for Baylor, but luckily the basket that preceded the call pretty well iced the game so it didn't change the result.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Kim didn't look good to me. Looked like she'd aged a lot.
I had started to wonder last year if she was having some health issue - I actually think she looked better today that the few times I saw her last year. Hope it is just the 'TV' effect or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom