Post game thoughts... | The Boneyard

Post game thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Couldn't be more proud of the team. Early in the year, losing the Holy Trinity after last season, BIG time new faces and contributions needed from everyone who could sit back at times last year and watch the seniors make magic... Did anyone expect an 11 point win? I predicted about a 6 point loss and am THRILLED to have been wrong.

The REAL Danger - Crystal Dangerfield - Just give her the keys to the Ferrari NOW? 21 points on 8-14 shooting to go along with 6 assists? And only in her 2nd game in a UCONN uniform. It's going to be VERY had not to expect spectacular things from this terrific young lady.

Forgettable first half for Gabby, but boy did she make up for it the 2nd half. Not sure if the light bulb suddenly came on, but committed no fouls in the 2nd half, and scored most of her 14 points during that frame.

We kind of got crushed on the glass (39-29), but how about Napheese grabbing 11 of them? Sort of an off scoring night at 6 points on 3-7 shooting, but hey, you can't score 25+ every game...

I thought Lou was really solid too. Not "superstar-esque),but she played within herself, and took good shots, making most of them. 16 points was a great effort.

Even thou Nurse didn't shoot well (3-12), most of her shots were good ones, and several rolled around and rimmed out. Oh, and 6 assists to match Crystal in that category.

Wanted to add a shout out to Nat - not a big scoring night but 6 boards, including 3 offensive - she showed toughness, and this might be one of the biggest and strongest teams in the nation. Nat showed she can be a big help, not just a body to throw in there. Not sure what to make of Saniya - thoughts?

Bottom line, a gutty, tough, hard fought win against a probable final 4 team. ANYONE who discounted this team should do so at their own risk. I wonder if the coaches are rethinking moving ND to the top spot after they only beat Green Bay by 4? Also, Lobo said "Baylor is going to be so much better in March". Um ok. How about a young and inexperienced UCONN team? I'd say we have some room to grow too.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UConn is number one until somebody beats them.
In theory maybe, but we lost so much. what if we lost all 5 starters to graduation (taking out KLS and Nurse)? would we still be #1 till we lose? I have no problem putting us lower to start the year, but wasn't so sure about the coaches dropping us 1 spot after our close game at FSU. Just my $.02

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Today I finally noticed about Pheese I havn't seen in a UConn player in quite awhile. She not only reads the ball off the rim well, but she launches very quickly for rebounds. Just an impressive young lady. By the way, glad to have been totally off base about Ms. Danger and her starting role. From herein, she's the PG hands down.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My thoughts:

1) Auriemma demonstrated a few times tonight why he is a hall of fame coach, from the way he subbed Collier and Butler to the use of a time out early in the second half to settle them down. He kept them calm and confident throughout.

2) Although this group may not yet have a true leader in the floor, I'd say that Dangerfield and Collier are well on their way.

3) Butler is more than just a big body down low. She scrapped, dove for balls on the ground, and showed a nice presence around the glass. Expect her to add a big contribution the rest of the year.

4) We are the number 1 team in the country until someone else can do something about it.

Pride. Heart. UCONN.

Reaction Score
Saniya lost her starting spot because Crystal is incredible and Saniya disappeared, as she has done in the past. Did Saniya take even one shot? Welcome to the starting lineup Crystal. For all the naysayers who have criticized Natalie; she has been strong on defense, which is what they need. If her offensive game improves, so much the better. Way to go Nat!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There's still a lot of upside.

Nat was strong, took responsibility when Gabby came out, not tired, doesn't foul , in the best UConn tradition.

Lou and Kia can play better yet....I hope Saniya doesn't go back to het shell....She has to come out and be aggressive in the Sunday game.

There's lots of talent around and the best coaching...what a scheme...completely neutralized the size advantage of Baylor...even better than the South Carolina game a few years ago.

Gabby was her monster self in the 2nd half...and Napheesa is the glue of the team, huge responsibilities tonight guarding folks 2-3-4 inches bigger and bulkier and more than held her own.

Now you have to think, as the team gets into a better offensive rhythm; who is going to beat them?
I sure don't think Notre Dame

Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn. -- Freshman Crystal Dangerfield scored 19 points, Katie Lou Samuelson added 16 and No. 3 UConn extended its winning streak to 77 games with a 72-61 victory over second-ranked Baylor on Thursday night.

The streak is the second longest in women's college basketball history, standing 13 short of the school record set by the Huskies from 2008-10. With stars Breanna Stewart, Morgan Tuck and Moriah Jefferson gone to the WNBA, Geno Auriemma's team was expected to need a bit of time to grow.

So far they have already knocked off No. 12 Florida State and now Baylor.

With the game tied at 54 early in the fourth quarter, UConn took over. The Huskies scored 16 of the next 18 points to put the game away. Dangerfield, a diminutive guard, made a spectacular layup with 4:03 left that brought the near sellout crowd to its feet and made it 62-56. Baylor (2-1) couldn't recover.

Unlike during the 75 games leading into this season where the Huskies (2-0) won every game by double digits and most were decided by halftime, this season's squad has had to pull out its first two wins in the final quarter.

Baylor vs. Connecticut - Game Recap - November 17, 2016 - ESPN

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member