Post game thoughts... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Post game thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Having had a chance to watch the game with less emotion and more attention, what strikes me about Natalie is that she actually has surprisingly quick hands. And she's very rarely out of position; a really intelligent ball player. We sort of think of her as slow of foot and of decision, but, actually, she is probably right now where she would have been last year had she not injured her thumb. She's established an excellent baseline for herself and has 2 full seasons to develop her game. This is what we hoped (prayed!) for all summer.

Amen. Finally an epiphany!

Reaction Score
Well that was fun!

It would be great if a different player stepped up every game. Makes it even more difficult for other teams to plan.
I noticed that the first seven UConn baskets were made by 6 different players in order: Lou, Collier, Gabby, Chong, Collier, Butler, Dangerfield. To OldAlum's point, how did Baylor decide who to concentrate on when that happened as opposed to their pre-game plan?

Reaction Score
IMG_4120.JPG
Well, here's a stunner. Guess how many rebounds Gabby had?
zero....
However Gabby interrupted many Baylor's passes into their low post players. I also observed that Baylor's close defense of Lou had denied her balls through out the game. Her points were hard fought points. On defense Lou took the baits of several of punk fake or passing fakes. Well, I like the "grits" of this team as posted by a fellow BYder. I have been CD's fan starting last Final Four run.

Reaction Score
Indispensable? I could anoint maybe 6 players for that title--Gabby, Collier, Katie Lou, Kia, Butler, add in Dangerfield, in time i believe Bent and Kyla. The job Collier and Gabby did on Bu's bigs for thier sizes--was nothing short of extraordinary. Butler bang head to head with those bigs and did herself proud.
long winded way of saying i agree. Collier rebounding and scoring in these last 2 games was remarkable.
Yup. Like being asked which of your children do you love the most. On second thought, maybe not the best analogy. (Just kidding!)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Yup. Like being asked which of your children do you love the most. On second thought, maybe not the best analogy. (Just kidding!)

"The sick one until s/he's well, the one who's away until s/he returns." (I had a lot of experience with that one.);)

Reaction Score

Every time I know I have one special player--I realize, to me, they all are--each is special in a different way--each has her own talent and level of that. Unlike my kids--they all know who it is--and each picks a different one. Like mom liked my brother better--until I say that to him. Honestly it's easier with Uconn.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Did you see that drive for a score at the 4 minute mark? Was that a fluke? I don't think so. How about the way she fed the post perfectly while on the move? These are plays that can only be made by a highly skilled basketball player. She won't shoot lights out from 3 every game, but you can tell by her mechanics that she is a good shooter. I think she proved quite a bit in one game.
+1

Reaction Score
"The sick one until s/he's well, the one who's away until s/he returns." (I had a lot of experience with that one.);)

Been there and done that ---often. Going back ain't all it's cracked up to be. Travelers tend to broaden their views.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Saniya lost her starting spot because Crystal is incredible and Saniya disappeared, as she has done in the past. Did Saniya take even one shot? Welcome to the starting lineup Crystal. For all the naysayers who have criticized Natalie; she has been strong on defense, which is what they need. If her offensive game improves, so much the better. Way to go Nat!

Saniya was 1 of 2. Saniya got herself wide open on a cut into the lane, got the pass and converted the layup. I honestly don't remember her missed shot.

Regardless of who starts, Saniya will get plenty more opportunities to impact games. She was huge at the end of the FSU game, and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her contributions this year, even if they come off the bench.

Reaction Score
Like senior AA candidate Nina Davis? The fact is we've seen enough to know the CD is the real deal whether she starts or not. After 4 years, Chong is still lacking court awareness. Her main function will be to not screw up too much while giving the other guards a blow.
You think Saniya's performance at FSU game is still lacking court awareness ???

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You think Saniya's performance at FSU game is still lacking court awareness ???
Did you notice on a couple of plays in that game, the announcers were a bit critical of her decision making even after the shot went in. That's what I mean. She's seems out of sync with the rest of the offense to me.

Reaction Score
As to the deadball technical. On that play, as I recall, the first call by the official was ball out of bounds to UConn. Then, one of the referees called the others over and went to the video monitor. What had happened was that on the play, after the whistle had been blown with the initial call of out of bounds, the Baylor player elbowed our player in the neck, knocking her down. Since this occurred after the play had been blown dead, and after enough of an interval after the whistle had blown that the Baylor player ought to have known that, it is, by rule, a deadball technical foul, since it cannot be a common foul, having occurred at a time when the clock was stopped and the ball dead.

I think the interesting thing on that is that Geno did something few coaches do in such a situation. When there is a technical foul, the coach may designate any player (whether in the game or on the bench -- it is the one exception to the normal rule that any substitute has to remain in the game for one tick of the clock before leaving; a coach can take a player off the bench to shoot the free throws without inserting them into the game) to take the free throws. Since Dangerfield is a freshman he probably was afraid that the moment might make her a bit nervous, so designated Katie Lou to take them. I think a smart choice in the event.
Nurse and Prince bumped into each other when Prince went to take the ball out. Kia should be nominated for an Oscar with that flop. It should have been a no call.

Reaction Score
Guessing no. Geno is famously loyal to his seniors and Crystal is a heck of a spark off the bench. He also does not make personnel decisions based on one game.
No he is not. He will start or play who he thinks gives them the best chance to win. The offense didnt look good with Saniya in the game. Her confidence in herself is what hurts her. Where as Crystal confidence never leaves her. The kid got game and this is quickly becoming her team!

Reaction Score
Crystal is a freshman. Next game she could have no points and 4 turnovers followed by another 20 point game. Geno expects this from freshmen which is why he prefers not to start them. He would rather have known quantities start the game.

There's been several seasons where he starts a player then subs after 5 minutes (Caroline Doty and Pam Webber come immediately to mind). He said he waited to see if they "had it" that night, if not, he subbed them out. I expect this for Saniya.
Caroline Doty without injuries would have been an AA. She started her freshman year until her injury and every game her sophmore year. IMO Maya wins NC her SR. year if she played even after injuries. Caroline never lacked for confidence and was tough and fearless.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Having had a chance to watch the game with less emotion and more attention, what strikes me about Natalie is that she actually has surprisingly quick hands. And she's very rarely out of position; a really intelligent ball player. We sort of think of her as slow of foot and of decision, but, actually, she is probably right now where she would have been last year had she not injured her thumb. She's established an excellent baseline for herself and has 2 full seasons to develop her game. This is what we hoped (prayed!) for all summer.
Natalie has been a pleasant surprise. The one shot I wish she had though is a baby hook

Reaction Score
CD is CD ... tall, classy dresser, known to rein in Geno - yeah, that one. Every time I see Dangerfield referred to as CD I have to double think it. We need a nick name for Ms. Dangerfield. Does anyone know if she has one from her team mates? I still think - actually more so - the Guns is who she is, but I defer to whatever, just not CD.

RockyMTblue2- - - I refer to Crystal as Crystal Dangerfield.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
RowdyFan- - The refs are incompetent! There was no foul let alone a TF!
It had to be called a technical foul because it came during a dead ball. However, I agree it should not have been called at all. Now, Gabby should have been called for a foul when she fell on the Baylor player.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
RowdyFan- - The refs are incompetent! There was no foul let alone a TF!
It had to be called a technical foul because it came during a dead ball. However, I agree it should not have been called at all. Now, Gabby should have been called for a foul when she fell on the Baylor player.

Reaction Score
Eric said---Did anyone expect an 11 point win?
Does a score of 67 to 78 count as 11??
Uconn players played up to their potentials (for the most part) I agree Natalie played up wards --but I think she has yet to tap her potential. She rushed some shots--Natalie is a very very good shooter when she does not rush.
I'm thrilled Crystal showed the Div 1 world what kind of a player she is---and error here or there--She is still a BRAND new Frosh second game. Chemistry when achieved will fix most of her errors.
Katie LOU and Kia played good games--this was Kia's best of the 2 exhibits and 2 real games--
I not much for looking at stats--they are nice--i watch to see how they blend with the flow and where they go or where they shouldn't go. Both went where they should when they should. KLS it has been said she stood around for too long. A few of those stand around times were directly in front of Geno--if he thought he wanted her moving--his voice still booms a distance.
As far as the 11 point prediction--that was not even a guess--numbers pulled from the air. My crystal ball is still out to the cleaners.

Nat rushing shots?? Funny cuz I think she hesitates too much. Too many times she open when she gets the ball and doesn't spot right away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom