Post game thoughts... | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Post game thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched the presser online, and Geno's comment after the comparison was also interesting. He said the thing about Moriah is that when we were recruiting her and she was a freshman, he would ask the assistant coaches, "So what can she do?" and they would say, "Well, she's fast." He would then ask, "And what else?" And they would say "She's very fast." And he would then ask, "Anything else?" And they would say, "Well, she's really quick." His way of saying that she came in with her speed being her trademark, and had still to work on what to do with it.

I think that is why a lot of us are thinking, and not unreasonably, that Crystal at game two is better than Moriah was at game two. After this performance, I would have absolutely NO hesitation "handing her the keys" in a big game. She has clearly shown she can handle it without driving the car into a ditch, if folks will pardon my extension of the metaphor.
He did say that but he also said that because Moriah was home schooled and didn't have the luxury of playing against high level talent her skill set wasn't as developed coming to UConn as has been Crystal's. Basically he was saying that at this similar point Crystal has the advantage but that Moriah evolved tremendously and was awesome when she left Storrs. Crystal came in ahead but it may be harder for her to improve GREATLY because she's already playing at this high a level. The finished product Crystal MAY not exceed the finished product MORIAH, which isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. Moriah just had more room to grow since she wasn't as developed.

Reaction Score
Good point. The other thing that Geno pointed out is that Mo didn't have the same training/competition in high school (he didn't mention it but she was home schooled, right?), while Crystal had both high school and international competition. She was more "game ready" coming into UConn.

But for me, the big difference is the consistency of Crystal's outside shooting. I don't think Mo really attained that same consistency until mid-way through her junior year. When she started draining 3s reliably at that point, she was completely unstoppable.
I think Moriah was pretty consistent midway through her sophomore year. She really was amazing and her defensive skills were amazing, as well. She was such a ball hawk.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You need to learn what an intentional foul is, the strategy involved, and the choice that players and coaches have in the execution.
What does your answer have to do with my response? I know what an intentional foul is. I called a few when I officiated. Geno replaced Chong with Crystal after Chong fouled out, regardless of the kind or reason for the foul. Is that hard for you to understand?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes, Donald, but as I've pointed out before, Chong's and Nurse's last fouls were intentional. Danger or Molly could have been used to do those fouls. So Geno must've decided he wanted Danger in at the end.
I agree with you on that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was talking with Milford and he had an interesting point. Moriah is not only 1-2 inches taller, but she has a longer reach. This caused even more havoc on the defensive end, as being fast was already a great defensive skill, but her long arms made her even more of a tenacious pest.

With shorter arms, Crystal doesn't have the luxury of Moriah's reach, and while Crystal may be just as fast, being shorter and having shorter arms makes even her best defense slightly less than what Moriah could accomplish.

On the other hand I think Crystal is a more skilled offensive player than Moriah was at the same point in their careers. So far, her 3 point shot seems to be ahead of what Moriah's was, and her ability to drive to the basket and score over/around much taller players - the angles and how she uses the backboard - was masterful against Baylor.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, to me, that does not seem to be practicing at game speed, and therefore not going to help her take it into a game. Yeah the hand eye stuff is good for general feel, but ...
(And I love what Natalie is doing in games so I am just picking at nits.)

First you go slow for the mechanics and then you ramp it up after the first 5000 repetitions. :eek: But, that is not a baby hook move ... at least not yet.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gotta disagree Carnac. They are intensely seeking to win, and in the process the identity will emerge. Nothing desperate about this crew. They are through deferring and doing a good job of finding their way.

Disagree if you will. I said that because I figured they are sick and tired of still hearing references about the big 3. We are still doing it. Radio & TV announcers are still making those references. I asked a question on another thread: " how far into the season will this team have to go, before big 3 references are no longer made"? No doubt the players on this team want the credit for whatever adversity they overcome. I have made a conscious decision not to make any more references to the big 3 the rest of the season. Of course they want to win every game. They're already on record saying that they are not conceding anything. When I stop reading comments about the big 3, then I'll stop making these types of comments. If someone wants to comment on the big 3 , so be it. I don't try and tell posters how/what to write.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin