OT: my new diet | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: my new diet

Reaction Score
The new big thing they are pushing here in Holland is eating grasshoppers, crickets and meal worms. Great source of fat free protien. No thanks.
It's big in Washington, too. You can get bbq crickets at Mariners games.

Reaction Score
I guess it beats the fake meat made from sewer sludge that Japanese scientists have developed. I don't care how safe, how much protien, how little fat. I am not ordering a bacon turd burger. They said they were developing it to feed third world people. How nice. We come in and rape your country. Oh, you are starving now because we took everything? Here , you can eat our poop.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I had Grasshopper Tacos at a place in Miami a couple years ago. They were actually really really good.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Ive changed up nutrition pretty radically and been doing 1 hr long circuit workouts 4 or 5 days per week for the last 2 weeks. Only down .5 lbs which has been rough, but I think Im also gaining good muscle

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I ate a protein bar in Newark Airport a couple weeks ago with cricket powder in it.

Tasted just like every other chewy, overpriced snack stick I've ever had.

Would try them BBQ'd though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Diets are tough to stick with. Joe D. was hanging in there for years. Saw him yesterday at Hurley's thing and it looks like he finally gave up.

Reaction Score
The new big thing they are pushing here in Holland is eating grasshoppers, crickets and meal worms. Great source of fat free protien. No thanks.
It’s all about that fungi protein now

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If someone close to you gets CDiff (look it up) which can be life threatening and is life altering then you will gain a new respect for the term eating poop. The Chinese were the first to use it in the fourth century I believe. There are two ways to get a fecal transplant and the easiest and most common way is to swallow 25 fecal pills which are odorless and tasteless in a half an hour. This has an 80% chance of correcting (for lack of a better medical term) your gut microbes. If it doesn't work the person does a second round of pill swallowing which ups the percentage to 95. If those fail an anal transplant is required. Luckily the first method worked for my friend. CDiff is getting more common in hospitals and nursing homes. If you are taking any antibiotic I strongly advise avoiding those places until the antibiotics are out of your system. From now on my friend is advised never to take antibiotics again. If she has to take antibiotics 3 different drs. have to be notified and they must conference to agree on the correct regimen. To see a heathy person suddenly struggle with a condition we had never heard of and be told that it might limit her activities for the rest of her life is quite sobering. Anyway said friend is cured and life is good again. Thanks for reading. We don't discuss this much(not at all because who wants talk about eating someone elses poop) so I appreciate the ability to put this out there. As for transferring gut microbes after birth I'm at a loss. I do know that researchers are realizing how important gut microbes are to everyones health.

Reaction Score
If someone close to you gets CDiff (look it up) which can be life threatening and is life altering then you will gain a new respect for the term eating poop. The Chinese were the first to use it in the fourth century I believe. There are two ways to get a fecal transplant and the easiest and most common way is to swallow 25 fecal pills which are odorless and tasteless in a half an hour. This has an 80% chance of correcting (for lack of a better medical term) your gut microbes. If it doesn't work the person does a second round of pill swallowing which ups the percentage to 95. If those fail an anal transplant is required. Luckily the first method worked for my friend. CDiff is getting more common in hospitals and nursing homes. If you are taking any antibiotic I strongly advise avoiding those places until the antibiotics are out of your system. From now on my friend is advised never to take antibiotics again. If she has to take antibiotics 3 different drs. have to be notified and they must conference to agree on the correct regimen. To see a heathy person suddenly struggle with a condition we had never heard of and be told that it might limit her activities for the rest of her life is quite sobering. Anyway said friend is cured and life is good again. Thanks for reading. We don't discuss this much(not at all because who wants talk about eating someone elses poop) so I appreciate the ability to put this out there. As for transferring gut microbes after birth I'm at a loss. I do know that researchers are realizing how important gut microbes are to everyones health.
Fewer and fewer people are dying at home and skilled nursing facilities are notoriously bad for infection control. Cdiff is spread by fecal route to some mucosa and it is notoriously difficult to kill, if you are exposed to it on your skin or clothes it won’t go away without physical scrubbing. That’s why it’s so insidious. It’s not airborne so as long as you practice adequate barrier/cleaning practice then you should be fine regardless of whether or not you’re on antibiotics.

Reaction Score
I've yo-yo'd my weight for years... decades really. Not by choice. I'm fully aware it's not a healthy way to go. Both my parents were heavy and I was heavy from 1st grade (but only really big in high school when we had some family issues and ate out every night of the week, plus late night diner/pizza runs with friends). I'm convinced that my weight issues are 50% bad choices / upbringing, and 50% biological (mental and physical). I've usually kept my peaks and valleys in a pretty set range until this last time where I blew through my peak by 15 pounds (35.5 BMI). The lowest I get is 28 BMI which isn't even close to normal. I truly think I'd be in the hospital if I hit "Normal BMI."

I find that the only way that I lose weight is by cutting out most carbs, certainly processed carbs. That's not news to anyone. My secret weapon to not having salad every damn meal is quinoa. It gives me the satisfaction of a grain like rice or pasta, and it really doesn't seem to negatively impact weight. I also have to weigh myself regularly. That's especially true for me to try to maintain my weight. I keep a spreadsheet. Out of site, out of mind, and I can put weight back on real quickly if I don't track. Of course, the more I put on, the less likely I am to check. When I kept weight off the longest (for a couple years), I would add "Key Events" to my spread sheet with a required weight. That kept me motivated. They could be big events (reunions, parties) or little things just to keep motivated. I've also done online diet bets for small amounts of money, but it's motivation.

I'm currently down 21 pounds from the recent extreme peak. This all seems crazy, but I don't like the way I feel when I get to my maximum capacity. Thankfully, while my 6th graders aren't skinny, they are a fine weight.

Reaction Score
I've yo-yo'd my weight for years... decades really. Not by choice. I'm fully aware it's not a healthy way to go. Both my parents were heavy and I was heavy from 1st grade (but only really big in high school when we had some family issues and ate out every night of the week, plus late night diner/pizza runs with friends). I'm convinced that my weight issues are 50% bad choices / upbringing, and 50% biological (mental and physical). I've usually kept my peaks and valleys in a pretty set range until this last time where I blew through my peak by 15 pounds (35.5 BMI). The lowest I get is 28 BMI which isn't even close to normal. I truly think I'd be in the hospital if I hit "Normal BMI."

I find that the only way that I lose weight is by cutting out most carbs, certainly processed carbs. That's not news to anyone. My secret weapon to not having salad every damn meal is quinoa. It gives me the satisfaction of a grain like rice or pasta, and it really doesn't seem to negatively impact weight. I also have to weigh myself regularly. That's especially true for me to try to maintain my weight. I keep a spreadsheet. Out of site, out of mind, and I can put weight back on real quickly if I don't track. Of course, the more I put on, the less likely I am to check. When I kept weight off the longest (for a couple years), I would add "Key Events" to my spread sheet with a required weight. That kept me motivated. They could be big events (reunions, parties) or little things just to keep motivated. I've also done online diet bets for small amounts of money, but it's motivation.

I'm currently down 21 pounds from the recent extreme peak. This all seems crazy, but I don't like the way I feel when I get to my maximum capacity. Thankfully, while my 6th graders aren't skinny, they are a fine weight.
BMI is useless. I'm a skeleton at anything under a 26

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Nice work! How do you usually cook your quinoa? Or just have it plain?

Reaction Score

Have you ever had any genetic testing? I got mine done through work and found I have very low levels of the gene that breaks down carbs. I crave carbs more than others and I process them worse than others. If someone the same exact height and weight as me, same age, same everything other than this generic piece eats the same carbs I do? I need to work harder to break them down. So I have to basically pick my spots, really limit them or I gain weight.

Reaction Score
Have you ever had any genetic testing? I got mine done through work and found I have very low levels of the gene that breaks down carbs. I crave carbs more than others and I process them worse than others. If someone the same exact height and weight as me, same age, same everything other than this generic piece eats the same carbs I do? I need to work harder to break them down. So I have to basically pick my spots, really limit them or I gain weight.
What's a good resouce for this kind of testing? All I come up with a lazy google search is ancestry and stuff

Reaction Score
That stinks, I would imagine it's reversible though. Keto diet just like all these other fad diets is not good for you. I don't know why people try so hard to complicate something that should be so easy.

Keto diet is incredibly healthy. If it’s followed correctly, you will feel the best and be the healthiest of your life.

Reaction Score
What's a good resouce for this kind of testing? All I come up with a lazy google search is ancestry and stuff

Mine was through work as part of the wellness program. I don’t know if 23&me tests for it. You could also ask your primary care doc for options.

Reaction Score
Keto diet is incredibly healthy. If it’s followed correctly, you will feel the best and be the healthiest of your life.

Don't take this guy's diet advice.

Keto, like a million other things, will help you drop some LBs in the short term. It's not some panacea.

Reaction Score
Keto makes some people feel good and other people feel bad. No diet that's focused on eliminating an entire food group or source of calories is going to be good for everyone. I personally don't do well on anything like a ketogenic diet (keto, Atkins, certain types of South Beach etc.).

Reaction Score
Mine was through work as part of the wellness program. I don’t know if 23&me tests for it. You could also ask your primary care doc for options.
Do you know if it was a panel test with multiple foods or just a test with fat/protein/carbs? I really need to get something similar done. I can yo-yo like crazy when I'm not being careful. Ive always had a propensity to gain and lose weight very fast.

Reaction Score
It's really simple.

I eat 6 times a day ( breakfast , am snack, lunch, aft snack , dinner , even snack) total around 1200 calories. somedays a little more somedays a little less.
Over the course of all the eating those 1200 calories try to get 40% of Cal's from protein , 40% from "healthy carbs" ( no white flours or Rice's or refined sugars, ) and 20% from fats.

And the crazy thing is I havent been excercising! I was doing some walking at first even with a bad knee and Achilles , but then was in ER last week with an umbilical hernia so they've shutdown all physical activity until I get on the table and cut in a couple weeks and I'm still losing. Crazy thing is saw the surgeon this week and he told me my hernia popped so extreme because I've lost so much weight. I said " what do you want me to do leave here and go to Arby's for a porkkbelly sandwich" ? He said no but said I gotta get cut.

But yeah this diet working well I'm used to it . But man I'm ready to cut loose. But I want to lose another 40.
That’s awesome, man! Back in 2012 I lost 50-60 doing something similar. Used Myfitnesspal to track nutrients. I went from 220 to 160ish in 3 months...I’m a smaller dude. But I worked out like a mad man. All my carbs came from green veggies or cauliflower. Tons and tons of lean chicken breast...Processed carbs are the devil. I was eating around 1900 calories, but burning off 500-700 through workouts. Btw, who’s your surgeon? I work in hernia surgery, I probably know him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That’s awesome, man! Back in 2012 I lost 50-60 doing something similar. Used Myfitnesspal to track nutrients. I went from 220 to 160ish in 3 months...I’m a smaller dude. But I worked out like a mad man. All my carbs came from green veggies or cauliflower. Tons and tons of lean chicken breast...Processed carbs are the devil. I was eating around 1900 calories, but burning off 500-700 through workouts. Btw, who’s your surgeon? I work in hernia surgery, I probably know him.

Robles

Reaction Score
Nice work! How do you usually cook your quinoa? Or just have it plain?
I replace the rice or pasta that my family is having with plain quinoa. Just add a bit of salt and whatever else the protein or veg is cooked in. My wife also makes a quinoa casserole which is great. She makes a few different ones including one with enchilada sauce, chicken and black beans. It comes close to a comfort food to me. My kids love it (cheese on their side).

Reaction Score
Don't take this guy's diet advice.

Keto, like a million other things, will help you drop some LBs in the short term. It's not some panacea.

I've been on keto for 3 years. I no longer have any health problems. No more high cholesterol, no more skin problems, my teeth are whiter than ever, and I have limitless energy. It’s certainly been a panacea for me. I’m more than open to talk about it with anyone who’s interested.

Reaction Score
That sounds like me. From your post, though, it sounds like you got information about your limitations, but the "cure" is to stay away from carbs. My plan was to lose the weight again, because I'm pretty good at losing when I'm motivated, and then find someone to help me with the maintenance part (which I suck at). I'd love to find someone that looks at genetic aspects since I believe that my issues are different than others. Then again, when I see "My 600 Pound Life" when I'm flipping channels, it makes me realize that there are others that are a lot worse off than me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom