OT: my new diet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: my new diet

Reaction Score
Ketogenic diets promote different gut microbe populations than do diets with more digestible carbohydrates. You may need to consume some prebiotics, perhaps inulin, and slowly add more vegetables with starch. If that doesn't work, fecal transplants often have good success, as long as you feed the new gut microbes what they need.

So....I wonder who was the first person to say..."Hey...you know what sounds like a good idea? A fecal transplant, that's what!"

Reaction Score
I’ve lost over 1000 lbs in my life and until 2013 I gained those lbs back
I am a lifetime Weight Watcher which means I don’t pay anything for the WW services including their E- Tools Application. I orriginally became lifetime in the 1990
But stopped the program and gained about 80% of my original weight back
I came back in 2013 and got to about the 180 lb Mark which is perfect for my frame and 6’ height .i’ve been able to maintain my weight for the last 5 years .
Amazingly my waist went from 42 to 34
I walk a minimum of 5 miles daily and have a varied workout regime which helps
I’m getting older and intense physical activity can be a struggle but as someone who was always kinda of burly . I weighed about 210 in HS I wish I was at this weight for my entire mature life. Mobility is amazing as I can still bounce up stairs and I’m well into my 70’s
There is a direct correlation between intake calories and activity . The thing with WW is the flexibility of diet. What I eat weekly could be completely different that the next guy is doing on the same program. I believe this adaptability helps with long term success.
WW works on a points basis
You have a daily allocation plus a weekly.
Plus you get additional activity points
I eat my daily and weekly but usually don’t eat my activity points .
That seems to work for me
In their latest program lean meats like Turkey / Chicken Breast / Fish are now zero
Points. Most vegetables and fruits were already zero.
Points are based on a formula with different weights given for fat, protein , carbs,and sugars.
Typically the higher the carbs and sugars the higher the points . Fiber also plays into the total. A key to any weight loss program is water intake
WW recommends a minimum of 6 12 oz glasses daily
Water can help curb certain types of hunger.
So you could construct a meal of meat and selected vegetables and be free to use your
Points on any additional desired foods like a roll or potato .
The phone app helps with a food point log plus it comes with a scanner that can give you the point total for pretty much every bar coded food.
It also has a lookup for hundreds of food points and even restaurants menus with various point totals for each menu items.
If you don’t like going to meetings you can do the program on line.
I haven’t paid a time to WW in five years so I’m not sure of membership costs
Good luck to everyone

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I have developed a strong sensitivity to eating simple carbs that has lasted 8 months after going keto. I was never this way prior to going keto. Now I am resigned to a life of eating super healthy and the only type of bread for instance that doesn't bother me is sprouted bread. Which sucks because my favorite foods are pizza and hamburgers.

That sucks. I had never heard of that being an issue. Always heard it was heart problems if you made Keto a lifestyle too long. Hope you find a solution or it just changes over time.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well I would rather just avoid the foods that bother me than get a fecal transplant! But this seems like good advice.

No Pizza or fecal transplant...which would you pick? No brainer on the latter.

And I don't even know what a fecal transplant is. Sounds the opposite of an enema...they put some poop in your colon.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's really simple.

I eat 6 times a day ( breakfast , am snack, lunch, aft snack , dinner , even snack) total around 1200 calories. somedays a little more somedays a little less.
Over the course of all the eating those 1200 calories try to get 40% of Cal's from protein , 40% from "healthy carbs" ( no white flours or Rice's or refined sugars, ) and 20% from fats.

And the crazy thing is I havent been excercising! I was doing some walking at first even with a bad knee and Achilles , but then was in ER last week with an umbilical hernia so they've shutdown all physical activity until I get on the table and cut in a couple weeks and I'm still losing. Crazy thing is saw the surgeon this week and he told me my hernia popped so extreme because I've lost so much weight. I said " what do you want me to do leave here and go to Arby's for a porkkbelly sandwich" ? He said no but said I gotta get cut.

But yeah this diet working well I'm used to it . But man I'm ready to cut loose. But I want to lose another 40.

Dieting so hard you popped a groin. That's impressive.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's a great way of eating and losing weight, it's balanced. You are just eating a lot less calories than you used to and are still eating foods you like but just less of it. Best part about it is it should be a way of eating you can maintain.

I feel like you are seriously dismissing what kind of food August likes. I'm sure he's eating stuff right now that he doesn't even consider 'food'.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It's really simple.

I eat 6 times a day ( breakfast , am snack, lunch, aft snack , dinner , even snack) total around 1200 calories. somedays a little more somedays a little less.
Over the course of all the eating those 1200 calories try to get 40% of Cal's from protein , 40% from "healthy carbs" ( no white flours or Rice's or refined sugars, ) and 20% from fats.

And the crazy thing is I havent been excercising! I was doing some walking at first even with a bad knee and Achilles , but then was in ER last week with an umbilical hernia so they've shutdown all physical activity until I get on the table and cut in a couple weeks and I'm still losing. Crazy thing is saw the surgeon this week and he told me my hernia popped so extreme because I've lost so much weight. I said " what do you want me to do leave here and go to Arby's for a porkkbelly sandwich" ? He said no but said I gotta get cut.

But yeah this diet working well I'm used to it . But man I'm ready to cut loose. But I want to lose another 40.

Whoa.

1,200 is low.

You really can’t exercise much on that.

Reaction Score
The carnivore diet is interesting. Like any other diet there are pros and cons and it varies from person to person.

I'm not sure I agree with any diet that is that restrictive, though. Your diet should be a lifestyle change and not a quick fix
@August_West has been on some kind of “quick fix” most of his adult life

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Aesop said it all long ago: slow and steady wins the race. Any diet designed for quick weight loss cannot and should not be sustained, so at some point you have to figure out the balance that works for you so you don’t have to diet; you try and live in equilibrium in terms of calories in and out.

If you listen and watch, your body and mind should give you all the feedback you need to know what works for you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So....I wonder who was the first person to say..."Hey...you know what sounds like a good idea? A fecal transplant, that's what!"
Some guy probably said it as a joke. I'm surprised people fell for it. The fecal eating grin should have given it away.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Whoa.

1,200 is low.

Yeah when I was in losing mode my target was 1,800, but I was doing at least four miles of running and/or brisk walking at least five to six days a week. I still do the same amount of exercise, but now that I’m in maintenance mode I can eat (and drink!) a ton more.

Reaction Score
Aesop said it all long ago: slow and steady wins the race. Any diet designed for quick weight loss cannot and should not be sustained, so at some point you have to figure out the balance that works for you so you don’t have to diet; you try and live in equilibrium in terms of calories in and out.

If you listen and watch, your body and mind should give you all the feedback you need to know what works for you.
Exactly, all these exciting new diets are called fads for a reason. The whole key to getting healthy through eating and exercise is consistency. There is really no point in doing any of these diets or working out if you're not going to stick with it. It doesn't mean you have to be crazy about it. Once you make that kind of lifestyle change it really isn't that difficult. Once you cut out most of the garbage foods from your diet, the cravings pretty much go away. Also, once the garbage foods are gone you feel better and can incorporate some exercise into it. 45 minutes 3 days a week of some kind of exercise shouldn't be too daunting and can be fit in even for the super busy.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Some guy probably said it as a joke. I'm surprised people fell for it. The fecal eating grin should have given it away.

Some Guy doesn't have many good jokes. He's not really that funny.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Ketogenic diets promote different gut microbe populations than do diets with more digestible carbohydrates. You may need to consume some prebiotics, perhaps inulin, and slowly add more vegetables with starch. If that doesn't work, fecal transplants often have good success, as long as you feed the new gut microbes what they need.
What about paleo?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah when I was in losing mode my target was 1,800, but I was doing at least four miles of running and/or brisk walking at least five to six days a week. I still do the same amount of exercise, but now that I’m in maintenance mode I can eat (and drink!) a ton more.
When I do X amount of activity I can, and am supposed to, go to 1500. That's my cap. When I'm not, and I'm not now obviously , nutritionist told me 1200.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When I do X amount of activity I can, and am supposed to, go to 1500. That's my cap. When I'm not, and I'm not now obviously , nutritionist told me 1200.
Got it. If you’re doing it with a nutritionist’s guidance then you should be good.

August_West

Reaction Score
Got it. If you’re doing it with a nutritionist’s guidance then you should be good.
Every step of way. And my arm is bruised from bi-weekly blood work

August_West

Reaction Score
Whoa.

1,200 is low.

Yeah. But I wasn't an excercise guy. I'm going to have to be, and I want to be, but I have to straighten out some physical stuff first.
And I really don't get hungry eating this way. The only time it bothers me is night time when I used to snack until I passed out.
During the day I have to remind myself to eat my meals and snacks and force myself to at some times.

I feel way better already and I'm only 1/2 way there. More alert , less tired. Better motivation. Never weak. Amazing what a body can get used to.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
What about paleo?

Most gut microbes are very specific in what they want to eat. That's one reason why eating a variety of fiber sources is good for the gut; each source feeds a different microbe, most of the fiber-eating microbes are beneficial. The "good" microbes take most of the space in the gut, not leaving much room for "pathogens" to take hold and eat. There is a wide range of diets considered to be paleo, and most had lots of fiber from a variety of sources. (my last book was called Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet.)

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score

The effectiveness of fecal transplants for some bowel problems not solvable with antibiotics has been in the 97% range, short term, 3 months or so. Most (the data are slim here) don't take long term for adults.

The time to have the introduction of a superb microbe population is at time of birth. That's why my company is contracting with some top basketball stars to buy their poop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom