OT: my new diet | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: my new diet

Reaction Score
The law is that cyclists stay to the right as far as safely possible, so, you would get passed by a bike on the right. And, if you passed him or her just to slow down and park, you are the irresponsible one. Bikes have as much right to the road as a car, they are entitled to the road as well. Roads are not car only entities, except highways. I have had cars pass me only to turn right in front of me. You wouldn’t do that to another car, wtf would you do that to a bike? And I drive 200- 300 miles a day, so I’m pretty familiar with the rules of the road. You bet your ass I’ll flick off some jag off that almost kills me. I stay in the bike lane (the white line on the side of the road) and stop at all stop signs and red lights. Riding a bike on the sidewalk is illegal. That said, a majority of drivers are cool, it’s only one or two per ride that are entitled dipsticks.
You realize that if someone is stopped to park and you're flying by them on the right at 15+ mph that they're never going to see you, right? You can follow the letter of the law all you'd like but it's still going to get you hit eventually

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The law is that cyclists stay to the right as far as safely possible, so, you would get passed by a bike on the right. And, if you passed him or her just to slow down and park, you are the irresponsible one. Bikes have as much right to the road as a car, they are entitled to the road as well. Roads are not car only entities, except highways. I have had cars pass me only to turn right in front of me. You wouldn’t do that to another car, wtf would you do that to a bike? And I drive 200- 300 miles a day, so I’m pretty familiar with the rules of the road. You bet your ass I’ll flick off some jag off that almost kills me. I stay in the bike lane (the white line on the side of the road) and stop at all stop signs and red lights. Riding a bike on the sidewalk is illegal. That said, a majority of drivers are cool, it’s only one or two per ride that are entitled dipsticks.

This is in Boston. Half the bikers don't abide by the rules whatsoever. Turns across traffic. Not staying in the bike lane, which isn't marked half the time anyway. The streets are super tight, so deviations to the left by a biker needs to be 'dodged'.

And who said you have to go by a bicyclist to park? These aren't long, clean, unobstructed roads. Bikers weave in and out of cross streets and cars all the time. If I'm parking anyone (when there's no one immediately visible) behind me and that includes the cars is supposed to slow to a stop until I finish. Or they can pass on the left while I'm parking.

Another good one is trying to take a right on red. While the bicyclist edges into the road to try and get a head start on the light. Or one that slows down and doesn't even stop.

Other drivers aren't exactly top notch here either.

Reaction Score
You realize that if someone is stopped to park and you're flying by them on the right at 15+ mph that they're never going to see you, right? You can follow the letter of the law all you'd like but it's still going to get you hit eventually
Yeah, no doubt. Common sense rules the day 100%. I took his comment a little different than he explained it in his next post. I took it as the bike got passed, then they stopped to park, because that’s what happened to me. Also, he’s in Boston, I’m in cow country, our experiences are probably vastly different. Bikers in big cities do stupid stuff, I’ve seen it. Here, it’s the cars who dgas and are a menace. I was in a rotary the other day, had the right of way, and this lady took her turn as I was 5 feet from her. Almost killed me. I’ve also had beer bottles thrown at me, cars slow down and scream in my ear to scare me, rev their trucks to hit me with a cloud of smoke from their exhaust, etc...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
It's almost not possible to eat a true Paleo diet using feed-lot fed animals and mass-produced plants. They lack minerals, especially manganese, magnesium, potassium... I analyze the ancestral diet from a micronutrient point-of-view.

Modern humans and Neandertals no longer have the gut microbes to digest the ancestral diet; ancient hominids from a very young age ate every part of the animal, often covered in dirt, developing what we believe is a very healthy gut microbe population.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Thoughts?

If you want to duplicate the ancient hominid diet exactly you should infect yourself with all the worms and or other micro parasites that were in all that dirt they ingested.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If you want to duplicate the ancient hominid diet exactly you should infect yourself with all the worms and or other micro parasites that were in all that dirt they ingested.

More and more research saying that's not a bad thing.

I keep reading that houses today are too sterile, for lack of a better word. Too air tight, which created an unhealthy environment.

The human diet may very well be suffering the same fate. Foods are nuked, heated, sterilized, and then preservatives are added to prevent contamination.

The microorganisms in foods our distant ancestors craved served a purpose.

Reaction Score
More and more research saying that's not a bad thing.

I keep reading that houses today are too sterile, for lack of a better word. Too air tight, which created an unhealthy environment.

The human diet may very well be suffering the same fate. Foods are nuked, heated, sterilized, and then preservatives are added to prevent contamination.

Even some worms and or other parasites may have been beneficial, not arguing that, but I'm sure many would cringe at the thought.

Reaction Score
Even some worms and or other parasites may have been beneficial, not arguing that, but I'm sure many would cringe at the thought.

Isn't the new thing (maybe not in USA much yet) insect restaurants. And some of these insects are insanely pricey

Reaction Score
Yeah, killing us all between age 0 and 35

I really don’t get this fascination with what our “ancestors” did. They lived an existence whose brutality we can probably barely fathom, let alone want to emulate. And just because they were doing something doesn’t mean it was at all beneficial.

Brb going paleo with my dental care because ancestors

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah, killing us all between age 0 and 35

I really don’t get this fascination with what our “ancestors” did. They lived an existence whose brutality we can probably barely fathom, let alone want to emulate. And just because they were doing something doesn’t mean it was at all beneficial.

Brb going paleo with my dental care because ancestors

They were usually healthy when they died. Death by "natural causes" wasn't real common.

Reaction Score
They were usually healthy when they died. Death by "natural causes" wasn't real common.
Oh so nobody was dying of disease or starvation or rotten teeth. Everyone died young because of lions and tigers and bears (oh my)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Oh so nobody was dying of disease or starvation or rotten teeth. Everyone died young because of lions and tigers and bears (oh my)

My guess is they were healthier because they had to work hard for their food. I think I said this before - you'd be better off walking five miles for a steak than staying home and eating a salad.

There are more variable than what was eaten.

Reaction Score
My guess is they were healthier because they had to work hard for their food. I think I said this before - you'd be better off walking five miles for a steak than staying home and eating a salad.
I think you grossly overestimate the “health” of these people who barely scraped by as a species. Credit to them, they did, but it wasn’t a bunch of football players running around hunting for surplus. There’s a reason we, a million or so years after separating from our cousins, continue to carry cravings for the most calorically dense foods we can find.

And I would strongly contest that a steak is ever healthier than a salad, no matter how much effort you put in.

There are more variable than what was eaten.
Well obviously. Imagine going 30 years never brushing your teeth. Then consider what we now know about the links between dental and cardiovascular health. Not saying people were dying of heart attacks at 30 but a chronically inflamed heart has implications for general medical health.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you grossly overestimate the “health” of these people who barely scraped by as a species. Credit to them, they did, but it wasn’t a bunch of football players running around hunting for surplus. There’s a reason we, a million or so years after separating from our cousins, continue to carry cravings for the most calorically dense foods we can find.

And I would strongly contest that a steak is ever healthier than a salad, no matter how much effort you put in.

Well obviously. Imagine going 30 years never brushing your teeth. Then consider what we now know about the links between dental and cardiovascular health. Not saying people were dying of heart attacks at 30 but a chronically inflamed heart has implications for general medical health.
Lean cuts of steak are healthy for you and provide more nutrients than a bowl of lettuce, once you put all the other stuff Americans put on lettuce the salad is more unhealthy than the lean meat.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Yeah, but how intelligent were they?

Reaction Score
Lean cuts of steak are healthy for you and provide more nutrients than a bowl of lettuce, once you put all the other stuff Americans put on lettuce the salad is more unhealthy than the lean meat.
Lettuce is just a terrible vegetable in general. You're much better off with spinach

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Lettuce is just a terrible vegetable in general. You're much better off with spinach

Romaine is actually quite nutrient dense iirc. Arugula ain't too bad either.

Reaction Score
Hurt durr red meat is fine for your heart, what’s wrong with cholesterol?

Reaction Score
Hurt durr red meat is fine for your heart, what’s wrong with cholesterol?
Hurr durr, we need cholesterol for survival. If you think you need to cut out lean meat from your diet because of cholesterol you're mistaken.

For most people dietary cholesterol doesn't even have any effect on their heart health.

Basically everything is good in balance and moderation and basically everything we were taught about cholesterol was wrong.

Reaction Score
You mean like iceberg lettuce? Lol great point. That’s the only vegetable used in salads. You got me.

Reaction Score
Hurr durr, we need cholesterol for survival. If you think you need to cut out lean meat from your diet because of cholesterol you're mistaken.

For most people dietary cholesterol doesn't even have any effect on their heart health.

Basically everything is good in balance and moderation and basically everything we were taught about cholesterol was wrong.
Lol okay pal

Old science.
Better than your confirmation bias

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44