OT: my new diet | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: my new diet

Reaction Score
Lost 22 pounds in last 6 weeks. Joined a gym, which I go to about 5 days a week for an hour. ... no specific diet. Cut back on bread & pasta. And “try” to only drink beer on weekends. ... I know it’ll get tougher to lose from here on out, but the original goal was 52 pounds in 52 weeks. Just a life-style change. ... it’s Friday, so I’m craving that 4-pack of Relic’s “Gristling” that’s in my fridge. Proud of my will-power all week.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Lost 22 pounds in last 6 weeks. Joined a gym, which I go to about 5 days a week for an hour. ... no specific diet. Cut back on bread & pasta. And “try” to only drink beer on weekends. ... I know it’ll get tougher to lose from here on out, but the original goal was 52 pounds in 52 weeks. Just a life-style change. ... it’s Friday, so I’m craving that 4-pack of Relic’s “Gristling” that’s in my fridge. Proud of my will-power all week.

Holy crap! Thats awesome. Ive gotta cut back on bread too...I try to just eat Ezekiel bread which is basically like saw dust and low carb. I'm currently 179 and want to hit 165 but my body seems to resist shedding weight. Sounds like it's falling off of you! Good work man

Reaction Score
That sounds like me. From your post, though, it sounds like you got information about your limitations, but the "cure" is to stay away from carbs. My plan was to lose the weight again, because I'm pretty good at losing when I'm motivated, and then find someone to help me with the maintenance part (which I suck at). I'd love to find someone that looks at genetic aspects since I believe that my issues are different than others. Then again, when I see "My 600 Pound Life" when I'm flipping channels, it makes me realize that there are others that are a lot worse off than me.

I think the "cure" is to realize you can't eat as many carbs as other people and be smart about it. And know that, if you do, you're going to need to work out to process them. That's the "maintenance", right?

Another thing that does help me is when I met with a nutritionist, she talked about how it's easy to get a pizza, eat a lot of it, drink beer, go to bed, then for lunch the next day? Eat more leftover pizza. So you're basically compounding the carbs. If you want pizza, then go easy on the carbs before it that day and after it the next day. Again, that's "maintenance" and just common sense, but I realized I was doing that more than I should in the past.

Reaction Score
Do you know if it was a panel test with multiple foods or just a test with fat/protein/carbs? I really need to get something similar done. I can yo-yo like crazy when I'm not being careful. Ive always had a propensity to gain and lose weight very fast.

It was actually a program to determine heart health and risk factors. The genetic testing piece focused on factors leading to metabolic syndrome?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Holy crap! Thats awesome. Ive gotta cut back on bread too...I try to just eat Ezekiel bread which is basically like saw dust and low carb. I'm currently 179 and want to hit 165 but my body seems to resist shedding weight. Sounds like it's falling off of you! Good work man

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, this stuff is pretty similar to Ezekiel. And it's definitely better (not phenomenal, but better). Hopefully you realize you have to store all these breads in the fridge.

Sprouted Multi-Grain Bread

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Keto diet is incredibly healthy. If it’s followed correctly, you will feel the best and be the healthiest of your life.

For most healthy people, keto diets are excellent short term diets, but usually not for the long term. Cancer patients, yes, long term, but not healthy young people.

The way most people make keto diets, they are not micronutrient balanced. Iodine for instance is often lacking. Ask your doctor if you should eat an iodine-deficient diet. I formulate canine ketogenic diets, and to meet minimum mineral requirements for dogs, we often need to add supplements. Dogs require more minerals per kg of body weight than do humans.

Keep in mind that keto diets are not natural. Prey animals are lean. I have the data. It is very difficult to formulate canine keto diets using wild game or natural prey animals. I need modern high fat stuff for these diets.

Reaction Score
I replace the rice or pasta that my family is having with plain quinoa. Just add a bit of salt and whatever else the protein or veg is cooked in. My wife also makes a quinoa casserole which is great. She makes a few different ones including one with enchilada sauce, chicken and black beans. It comes close to a comfort food to me. My kids love it (cheese on their side).
You'll lose more weight if you pressure cook the Quinoa.

Reaction Score
For most healthy people, keto diets are excellent short term diets, but usually not for the long term. Cancer patients, yes, long term, but not healthy young people.

The way most people make keto diets, they are not micronutrient balanced. Iodine for instance is often lacking. Ask your doctor if you should eat an iodine-deficient diet. I formulate canine ketogenic diets, and to meet minimum mineral requirements for dogs, we often need to add supplements. Dogs require more minerals per kg of body weight than do humans.

Keep in mind that keto diets are not natural. Prey animals are lean. I have the data. It is very difficult to formulate canine keto diets using wild game or natural prey animals. I need modern high fat stuff for these diets.
I assume from your avatar that you go with a Paleo diet?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Mine was through work as part of the wellness program. I don’t know if 23&me tests for it. You could also ask your primary care doc for options.

Get tested anywhere, then upload to Prometheus.

Last edited:

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I assume from your avatar that you go with a Paleo diet?

It's almost not possible to eat a true Paleo diet using feed-lot fed animals and mass-produced plants. They lack minerals, especially manganese, magnesium, potassium... I analyze the ancestral diet from a micronutrient point-of-view.

Modern humans and Neandertals no longer have the gut microbes to digest the ancestral diet; ancient hominids from a very young age ate every part of the animal, often covered in dirt, developing what we believe is a very healthy gut microbe population.

Reaction Score
Different things work for different people and body types, how much weight you want to lose etc. My wife wanted to lose about 30 lbs to get back to her college weight. She is only 5' tall and not big in general but after our daughter was born 6 years ago she gained around the middle and didn't like it. She has tried a sort of modified Keto. Idea is reduce carbs and sugars, eat more protein and more healthy fats. We have removed most bread from our dinners, no rolls or buttered arthur avenue which I love. She eats her burgers and sandwiches without rolls or bread. Sometimes I play ball, sometimes I have the roll for my burger. We go light on rice, pasta, potatoes stuff like that. She doesn't abstain from them, she just has less. She exercises some portion control. Eggs and fruit for breakfast. That type of thing. She has lost 20 lbs in about 4 months without daily exercise and her pants are just about falling off her. That stuff around the middle she didn't want is most of what is coming off. She cheats and has a few beers on the weekend, or a burrito, or a wrap with her sandwich now and again but it is working without any inconvenient side effects. Important to note though that she isn't sticking to a true Keto, just enough to stay in ketosis most of the time (she tests) and portion control and controlling without eliminating carbs. Also important to note that she takes multi vitamins and augments them with other vitamins and takes a little fiber. It is working really well for her. She wants to lose about 10 more and then figure out how to maintain it. Everyone's experience with every kind of diet will be different based on their body.
I've even lost 5 lbs in interim just by reducing my carbs in the process I'm guessing. I've been a steady 190 lbs for the last 10 years and am down to 185 without really doing anything other than skipping a roll or pasta here and there.
Kudos to you @August_West for trying something that seems to be working for you and feeling good about it for the most part.

Reaction Score
I like this thread. When I started losing weight, my cholesterol was 241, my resting heart rate was 92, my bp was 120/80, and my weight was 220 (I’m 5’8”). After 6 or so weeks, my cholesterol was 160, bp was 110/70, resting heart rate was 55, and weight was 165 or so. Changed my life. I rode my bike 60-100 miles a day on long days, did triathlons, and generally added life to my years. I did workout like a mad man, but my diet basically was half my plate was lean protein and half was veggies. Mostly broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach. Any real carb was a whole carb source like a potato (half a potato at most). I did have a cheat meal every week, usually pizza, but it was always after a long workout Friday or Saturday night. I used myfitnesspal to track macros. I kept my calories at around 1800-1900, protein over 200, fats under 100, carbs under 50, and sugar very low. On days where I rode for over 60 miles, I’d add 1000 calories to my day. But on a regular day, those 1800 calories became 1200 because I burned 600 working out. I enjoyed workouts because it meant I could eat more. The plan was simple, sticking to it a bit more difficult. I was motivated, and not dying for my kids was super motivational. I’ve fallen off the horse a bit, and I’m back up to 180, but I’ve started my diet again and I’m going for a ride today. Threads like these remind me of where I need to be and what I need to do. So, thanks!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I like this thread. When I started losing weight, my cholesterol was 241, my resting heart rate was 92, my bp was 120/80, and my weight was 220 (I’m 5’8”). After 6 or so weeks, my cholesterol was 160, bp was 110/70, resting heart rate was 55, and weight was 165 or so. Changed my life. I rode my bike 60-100 miles a day on long days, did triathlons, and generally added life to my years. I did workout like a mad man, but my diet basically was half my plate was lean protein and half was veggies. Mostly broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, spinach. Any real carb was a whole carb source like a potato (half a potato at most). I did have a cheat meal every week, usually pizza, but it was always after a long workout Friday or Saturday night. I used myfitnesspal to track macros. I kept my calories at around 1800-1900, protein over 200, fats under 100, carbs under 50, and sugar very low. On days where I rode for over 60 miles, I’d add 1000 calories to my day. But on a regular day, those 1800 calories became 1200 because I burned 600 working out. I enjoyed workouts because it meant I could eat more. The plan was simple, sticking to it a bit more difficult. I was motivated, and not dying for my kids was super motivational. I’ve fallen off the horse a bit, and I’m back up to 180, but I’ve started my diet again and I’m going for a ride today. Threads like these remind me of where I need to be and what I need to do. So, thanks!

This is a great example of how each person needs to fit a diet and exercise plan into their lifestyle. I don't have the time or physical capability to ride or do triathalons or anything close to that. I can walk, or at most walk/jog/walk, and I can lift weights and use my combat ropes. But that's about it.

I know I can't get there the way you did. So my calories when losing, need to be more restricted. I'm 5'10", did an 8 week diet and got to 207 from 240. Hovered in the low 200 teens for weeks, then slipped into bad habits and hit 218. So the diet resumes today for me as well, hopefully ending in the 100's somewhere. Gotta keep those bad habits from coming back though. Beer and night-time snacks are my nemesis. I already only drink beer on weekends during maintenance, but every once in awhile it's with buddies and it's too much. If my ultimate chart looks like a downward stock market chart, with spikes up followed by longer spikes down, I can live with that.

Reaction Score
This is a great example of how each person needs to fit a diet and exercise plan into their lifestyle. I don't have the time or physical capability to ride or do triathalons or anything close to that. I can walk, or at most walk/jog/walk, and I can lift weights and use my combat ropes. But that's about it.

I know I can't get there the way you did. So my calories when losing, need to be more restricted. I'm 5'10", did an 8 week diet and got to 207 from 240. Hovered in the low 200 teens for weeks, then slipped into bad habits and hit 218. So the diet resumes today for me as well, hopefully ending in the 100's somewhere. Gotta keep those bad habits from coming back though. Beer and night-time snacks are my nemesis. I already only drink beer on weekends during maintenance, but every once in awhile it's with buddies and it's too much. If my ultimate chart looks like a downward stock market chart, with spikes up followed by longer spikes down, I can live with that.
How about a bike ride? Just a leisurely jaunt. For us older peeps, (I’m turning 48), biking is so much easier on the joints and back, and burns almost as much as running, and more than walking, and just as easy. It does take more time out of the day, for sure. I like the scenery and the feel of the air on my face. Good luck getting to your goal! I did 17 miles yesterday for my first ride in a year, and I’m sore today. Ha. It was a lot of uphill though....

Reaction Score
Carbs (bread) metabolizes to sugar. Alcohol (via ACE) doesn't. Skip the breads / pasta. Help prevent diabestes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How about a bike ride? Just a leisurely jaunt. For us older peeps, (I’m turning 48), biking is so much easier on the joints and back, and burns almost as much as running, and more than walking, and just as easy. It does take more time out of the day, for sure. I like the scenery and the feel of the air on my face. Good luck getting to your goal! I did 17 miles yesterday for my first ride in a year, and I’m sore today. Ha. It was a lot of uphill though....

The only place I could ride is by driving to a bike path. We did get racks so we could do it, but seldom do it, because it's a 15-20 minute drive each way. I just don't live in a bike friendly location. And I couldn't so much as ride up the hills in my neighborhood. Legs aren't what they were when I used a bike as transportation as a teenager.

Reaction Score
The only place I could ride is by driving to a bike path. We did get racks so we could do it, but seldom do it, because it's a 15-20 minute drive each way. I just don't live in a bike friendly location. And I couldn't so much as ride up the hills in my neighborhood. Legs aren't what they were when I used a bike as transportation as a teenager.
I’m in the country in Ellington. People are jerks to cyclists. 2 cars pulled right out in front of me on the road yesterday. I was pissed. My legs were screaming going up the hills. I’m out of shape.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’m in the country in Ellington. People are jerks to cyclists. 2 cars pulled right out in front of me on the road yesterday. I was pissed. My legs were screaming going up the hills. I’m out of shape.

There are different ways to look at it. My neighborhood is off of a heavily traveled windy road with no shoulder and no sidewalk. Anybody who rides on that road is an irresponsible idiot. They have the right, but they put themselves and drivers in danger. There is simply no room to go around a bike and it's a 40-45MPH road with huge oaks right on the edge on both sides. Big trucks use it too.

I've seen drivers be jerks to cyclists, and I've seen a lot of cyclists who were irresponsible . It's a mixed bag for sure.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There are different ways to look at it. My neighborhood is off of a heavily traveled windy road with no shoulder and no sidewalk. Anybody who rides on that road is an irresponsible idiot. They have the right, but they put themselves and drivers in danger. There is simply no room to go around a bike and it's a 40-45MPH road with huge oaks right on the edge on both sides. Big trucks use it too.

I've seen drivers be jerks to cyclists, and I've seen a lot of cyclists who were irresponsible . It's a mixed bag for sure.

Heck, in the city, it goes past irresponsible and on to entitled. Cyclists think everybody can see them, which when you're dealing with traffic and pedestrians, is a no. They then decide to do all sorts of inane sh11t and get pissed when you almost hit them. Nothing beats trying to park and having a cyclist yell and flip you off, as he passes you on the right.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I grew up road bicycling in Conn way back in the 1970s. I road all over the state, and, except for all the glass on the road (this was pre-bottle bill) I found the roads friendly. When I last visited Conn I told myself I would never ride these roads, was I crazy as a young rider or have the roads and drivers changed that much?

Since then, I moved around the country looking for the best road bike roads. As an old bicyclist, I settled in La Quinta Ca, where we have wide bike lanes on most of the roads and I can ride 8.5 months a year. The bad season is coming up.

For older people, a bicycle, esp heavy cruiser bikes, are superb for high intensity interval training. Back in the 70s I practiced this, but then I called it "dog training." When a dog starts chasing, it's immediate high intensity work requiring excellent shifting. Practice practice practice. Now dogs seem to be much less of a problem for bicyclists.

Reaction Score
Heck, in the city, it goes past irresponsible and on to entitled. Cyclists think everybody can see them, which when you're dealing with traffic and pedestrians, is a no. They then decide to do all sorts of inane sh11t and get pissed when you almost hit them. Nothing beats trying to park and having a cyclist yell and flip you off, as he passes you on the right.

I remember seeing a kid on a bike at UConn come down the Busby hill at speed and go straight into the crosswalk without slowing down. Kid was so lucky he didn't get killed. Having the right of way doesn't protect you from getting killed or seriously injured.

Reaction Score
The law is that cyclists stay to the right as far as safely possible, so, you would get passed by a bike on the right. And, if you passed him or her just to slow down and park, you are the irresponsible one. Bikes have as much right to the road as a car, they are entitled to the road as well. Roads are not car only entities, except highways. I have had cars pass me only to turn right in front of me. You wouldn’t do that to another car, wtf would you do that to a bike? And I drive 200- 300 miles a day, so I’m pretty familiar with the rules of the road. You bet your ass I’ll flick off some jag off that almost kills me. I stay in the bike lane (the white line on the side of the road) and stop at all stop signs and red lights. Riding a bike on the sidewalk is illegal. That said, a majority of drivers are cool, it’s only one or two per ride that are entitled dipsticks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom