OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He would move up to try to be regarded as the best boxer ever
Dude he did move up. I believe he fought Chico Corrales at 130 lbs. You really think a guy who started his career at 130 lbs should be fighting the likes of Adonis Stevenson and Sergei Kovalev?

Reaction Score
Dude he did move up. I believe he fought Chico Corrales at 130 lbs. You really think a guy who started his career at 130 lbs should be fighting the likes of Adonis Stevenson and Sergei Kovalev?
He can do whatever he wants. He has chose to chase money over other things. I don't knock him for that. It suprises me that someone who is as outwardly cocky as him wouldnt want to challenge himself. He fights at small weight classes and plays a defensive game. Other fighters push their bodies to their limits and go for undisputed wins. I'm my opinion that is the only way to achieve the highest level of greatness.

Reaction Score
To each there own like someone said, the MMA has their subculture where you have to wear Affliction or Ex Hardy t-shirts, have multiple tats, like death metal and drive either a souped-up Civic, Corrolla or Scion. Other than Monster beverage or Red Bull who would advertise to this group? Chipotle? steve-0?

Yes Brazil. Big population and a middle class that has rapidly expanded. England, Canada, Japan, the Nordic countries, australia and may other European countries are huge into mama in addition. To the ones I listed. And it destroys boxing in the 18-35 year old male demographic, which is by far and away the most important to combat sports advertisers.

Reaction Score
Roy Jones fought bums. Not a lot of great fighters when he fought. I like Roy Jones but he got put to sleep.
Roy got put to sleep after he moved up to heavyweight and tried to come back down. In his prime he whooped guys like Bernard Hopkins and James Toney and destroyed Montel Griffin in under a round in a rematch.

Reaction Score
Yes Brazil. Big population and a middle class that has rapidly expanded. England, Canada, Japan, the Nordic countries, australia and may other European countries are huge into mama in addition. To the ones I listed. And it destroys boxing in the 18-35 year old male demographic, which is by far and away the most important to combat sports advertisers.
I can't get into it for any extended period of time. I might have one or two friends that watch MMA out of 20-30, and both are weirdos.

Reaction Score
Read the below link first to get my comments in proper context.

Lack of aggressive action especially from Pacman, of all people, quite disappointed me. I had not seem him fight this so lackluster- but for a few flurries (maybe 4th, 8th, 9th, 10th rounds, I have to re-watch the fight, of course) he somehow did it. Where was the energy, strength, and volume punching of his famous style. He threw less punches than May, the lowest of his career - unbelievable! He averaged more than 700 punches in his entire career. At Clottey, he threw 1,o00 punches. Last night, it was just a little over 400. Unbelievable! Obviously, something was very, very wrong, the why of which I was I able to find out about later in the day today. Part of it was due to May's evasiveness, give him credit, but Algieri ran away from Pac for much longer periods in another bout and Pac threw them at him at a much higher clip than last night. At first, I thought it might have been due to the fact that father time had been more cruel to his volume punching than whatever May actually was doing during the fight even though the latter was his usual defensive masterly great. I was puzzled at Pac's suspicious lack of use of his right hooks that felled so many ring greats. He was using it for a few jabs, a few uppercuts here and there, but no powerful right hooks at all last night. I was very puzzled, really very, just like I told fellow on-lookers at my cousin's big house - attended by a 20+ mixed crowd of May and Pac fans. Then I found the article below this Sunday afternoon. This explains why Pac was using only his stronger left to throw bombs. He was practically using only one arm to snag a victory from the evasive May. Too bad, a fight we had waited for 5+ years to happen featured one who was physically "handicapped". Still, to have obtained a not-so-wide of a margin of a decision loss to the greatest defensive fighter of this era makes me wonder what could have happened had he been injury-free from the 3rd through 12th round during which time he did not throw any killer upper right hooks. Still wondering.....if a doubtful rematch could take place in September - possibly May's last fight with Showtime when he retires - considering amongst a plethora of reasons that Pac has to undergo shoulder surgery which takes time to heal. Bob Arum compared his injury to Kobe Bryant's whose doctor also examined Pac. It now looks like he might retire himself.

During training when the injury actually happened (the injury resulted from Pac and a much bigger sparring partner both throwing simultaneous rights that collided and snapping Pac's right shoulder creating a tear in it), the President of Llyods of London (the company that specializes in liability insurance to non-collateral body parts) helicoptered into Las Vegas where the top brasses from HBO and Showtime had an impromptu meeting to discuss a possible postponement of the much-awaited $400 million fight. Now I understand all the brouhaha, but they kept it under a tight lid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...loyd-Mayweather-fight-complains-Bob-Arum.html

I do not regret coughing up $99.50 to watch it but I regret not seeing a fully healthy Pac perform at his usually high physical level. What happens when an infinitely massive object collides with an infinite force was never truly answered, at least in my eye test. This was arguably his poorest performance since the loss to Marquez which he was winning from all judges' scorecards before the lucky killer punch flattened him.

A simple administrative medical form faux pas committed by Pacman and Arum's company allowed the Las Vegas Boxing Commission to deny him pain-numbing injections before the fight. The USDA - the Olympics-affiliated firm that oversaw the PEDS testing and the 13 blood collections from Pac during training was okay with Pac receiving the painkiller injections. The media, maybe it actually did do it, but none to my current knowledge, did not report on whether the same parallel blood testing was done on Mayweather as well. Also, it is quite questionable why USDA took a blood from Pac just before the weigh-in would take place. We might never know. This was done a little more than 24 hours before the fight would subsequently take place on May 2nd. When he lost to Morales, the blood was taken 72 hours before the the fight. Pac cites that the Morales loss had been caused by his weakened and not so immaculately strong fighting body as a result of the blood test from which he was declared super clean.

It is quite sad that Pac has had to capitulate so many questionable concessions over to Mayweather just to get this fight, not to insert the robbery he experienced under the hands of the judges from the egregogiusly Bradley loss. It is obviously given that he might have earned north of $100 mil from this mega fight but as an avid fan (and boxing journalist) I would have pined for a substantialy equal and fair fight where the both fighters are up to their usual top physical forms. Sadly, I did not see one last night. The fight was actually very boring even from a pure boxing analyst like me, especially now that I know full well that one of them was waging war with one arm only from the 3rd through 12th round. Immensely disappointing is an understatement. To a lesser degree, it's almost like the irksomely predictable frustration a loyal Husky fan experiences whenever referees tactically and purposefully take Amida out of major games (in minor games they are saintly) leaving the Huskies handicapped or how Duke and Louisville could hand check our Huskies all day long with nary a foul slapped on them.

Reaction Score
He can do whatever he wants. He has chose to chase money over other things. I don't knock him for that. It suprises me that someone who is as outwardly cocky as him wouldnt want to challenge himself. He fights at small weight classes and plays a defensive game. Other fighters push their bodies to their limits and go for undisputed wins. I'm my opinion that is the only way to achieve the highest level of greatness.

He moved up to Canelo and Cottos natural weight (at the time) to fight them, Pac takes a Cotto right after the Margarito brutality and who is moving up to 154 and drains him out to 146 for that fight. Same with Oscar, Manny fought him at 154 (Oscar's most comfortable weight at the time), Manny brings him back down to 147.

Literally every fight Manny has taken from Hatton until last night were absolutely made to order. Generally fought Floyd's leftovers or absolutely avoided fighting any high profile fighter at their natural weight and hasn't KO'd anyone since Cotto and yet so many people ate that up. People's hate for Floyd as a person clouded their boxing judgment as far as their accomplishment/track record these past 6-7 years. There was never a point from the time this would have truly been considered a 'megafight' where Floyd doesn't do what he did last night.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
To each there own like someone said, the MMA has their subculture where you have to wear Affliction or Ex Hardy t-shirts, have multiple tats, like death metal and drive either a souped-up Civic, Corrolla or Scion. Other than Monster beverage or Red Bull who would advertise to this group? Chipotle? steve-0?

I don't watch MMA but as a marketing professional I felt like I should respond again. Clearly my earlier post on demographics showed why the MMA market is attractive. Here is a list of companies that agree.
http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/sponsors/

Reaction Score
A lot of people are saying that Floyd ran. Ok, let's just say for the sake of arguing that a lot of people "run" in boxing. Great fighters have a way of slowing people down by cutting off the ring and using body shots to slow their opponents. I guess Many is not one of the greats. I have never, ever seen a fighter so thoroughly neutralize an opponent the way Floyd does, he makes the best fighters look so ordinary. Pac had no idea how to deal with Floyd's speed, accuracy,angles and footwork. How can you not see greatness? True boxing fans appreciate great fighters. So go watch MMA, that's your choice, boxing doesn't need you. True boxing fans will stay and appreciate the great sport of boxing.

floyd is a terrific fighter and he won the fight. i give him credit for that.

Reaction Score

Lack of aggressive action especially from Pacman, of all people, quite disappointed me. I had not seem him fight this so lackluster- but for a few flurries (maybe 4th, 8th, 9th, 10th rounds, I have to re-watch the fight, of course) he somehow did it. Where was the energy, strength, and volume punching of his famous style. He threw less punches than May, the lowest of his career - unbelievable! He averaged more than 700 punches in his entire career. At Clottey, he threw 1,o00 punches. Last night, it was just a little over 400. Unbelievable! Obviously, something was very, very wrong, the why of which I was I able to find out about later in the day today. Part of it was due to May's evasiveness, give him credit, but Algieri ran away from Pac for much longer periods in another bout and Pac threw them at him at a much higher clip than last night. At first, I thought it might have been due to the fact that father time had been more cruel to his volume punching than whatever May actually was doing during the fight even though the latter was his usual defensive masterly great. I was puzzled at Pac's suspicious lack of use of his right hooks that felled so many ring greats. He was using it for a few jabs, a few uppercuts here and there, but no powerful right hooks at all last night. I was very puzzled, really very, just like I told fellow on-lookers at my cousin's big house - attended by a 20+ mixed crowd of May and Pac fans. Then I found the article below this Sunday afternoon. This explains why Pac was using only his stronger left to throw bombs. He was practically using only one arm to snag a victory from the evasive May. Too bad, a fight we had waited for 5+ years to happen featured one who was physically "handicapped". Still, to have obtained a not-so-wide of a margin of a decision loss to the greatest defensive fighter of this era makes me wonder what could have happened had he been injury-free from the 3rd through 12th round during which time he did not throw any killer upper right hooks. Still wondering.....if a doubtful rematch could take place in September - possibly May's last fight with Showtime when he retires - considering amongst a plethora of reasons that Pac has to undergo shoulder surgery which takes time to heal. Bob Arum compared his injury to Kobe Bryant's whose doctor also examined Pac. It now looks like he might retire himself.

During training when the injury actually happened (the injury resulted from Pac and a much bigger sparring partner both throwing simultaneous rights that collided and snapping Pac's right shoulder creating a tear in it), the President of Llyods of London (the company that specializes in liability insurance to non-collateral body parts) helicoptered into Las Vegas where the top brasses from HBO and Showtime had an impromptu meeting to discuss a possible postponement of the much-awaited $400 million fight. Now I understand all the brouhaha, but they kept it under a tight lid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...loyd-Mayweather-fight-complains-Bob-Arum.html

I do not regret coughing up $99.50 to watch it but I regret not seeing a fully healthy Pac perform at his usually high physical level. What happens when an infinitely massive object collides with an infinite force was never truly answered, at least in my eye test. This was arguably his poorest performance since the loss to Marquez which he was winning from all judges' scorecards before the lucky killer punch flattened him.

A simple administrative medical form faux pas committed by Pacman and Arum's company allowed the Las Vegas Boxing Commission to deny him pain-numbing injections before the fight. The USDA - the Olympics-affiliated firm that oversaw the PEDS testing and the 13 blood collections from Pac during training was okay with Pac receiving the painkiller injections. The media, maybe it actually did do it, but none to my current knowledge, did not report on whether the same parallel blood testing was done on Mayweather as well. Also, it is quite questionable why USDA took a blood from Pac just before the weigh-in would take place. We might never know. This was done a little more than 24 hours before the fight would subsequently take place on May 2nd. When he lost to Morales, the blood was taken 72 hours before the the fight. Pac cites that the Morales loss had been caused by his weakened and not so immaculately strong fighting body as a result of the blood test from which he was declared super clean.

It is quite sad that Pac has had to capitulate so many questionable concessions over to Mayweather just to get this fight, not to insert the robbery he experienced under the hands of the judges from the egregogiusly Bradley loss. It is obviously given that he might have earned north of $100 mil from this mega fight but as an avid fan (and boxing journalist) I would have pined for a substantialy equal and fair fight where the both fighters are up to their usual top physical forms. Sadly, I did not see one last night. The fight was actually very boring even from a pure boxing analyst like me, especially now that I know full well that one of them was waging war with one arm only from the 3rd through 12th round. Immensely disappointing is an understatement. To a lesser degree, it's almost like the irksomely predictable frustration a loyal Husky fan experiences whenever referees tactically and purposefully take Amida out of major games (in minor games they are saintly) leaving the Huskies handicapped or how Duke and Louisville could hand check our Huskies all day long with nary a foul slapped on them.
A lot of boxers fight with injuries. Pac's camp wasted no time coming up with this shoulder issue, I call BS. Manny is not a gracious loser. Whereas Floyd had nothing but praise for Manny, after the fight. People who say Manny won that fight or even that it was close are either blind or crazy, maybe both. The way that Floyd controlled the fight was truly masterful. Am I the only one who sees that a lot of the biased opinions and attacks on Floyd are a product of hatred and jealousy. A blind man could see that. Absolutely shameful.

Reaction Score
You are thinking of the sport in the 90s. I suggest reading about how it has evolved since being bought 15 years ago.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
A lot of boxers fight with injuries. Pac's camp wasted no time coming up with this shoulder issue, I call BS. Manny is not a gracious loser. Whereas Floyd had nothing but praise for Manny, after the fight. People who say Manny won that fight or even that it was close are either blind or crazy, maybe both. The way that Floyd controlled the fight was truly masterful. Am I the only one who sees that a lot of the biased opinions and attacks on Floyd are a product of hatred and jealousy. A blind man could see that. Absolutely shameful.

No, what's shameful is the way May knocks around women in his spare time. And you wonder why nobody likes the guy?

Reaction Score
LOL at "facts", and a Mayweather fanboy taking the bait . . .
Mayweather is a POS, not a fanboy, just not a blind fool. But hey look at your avatar, I cannot expect much.

Reaction Score
W
No, what's shameful is the way May knocks around women in his spare time. And you wonder why nobody likes the guy?
What does that have to do with the fight, that's history. I don't hear people dogging Big Ben or others who have committed crimes against women. Which I'm totally against.

Reaction Score
The best fight in the ring was Jamie Foxx battling the Notes.

Everyone lost that one. What a disastrous rendition. I personally don't mind a little noodling, but when you're noodling because you don't know what the right note is, that's a problem.

Reaction Score
Mayweather is a POS, not a fanboy, just not a blind fool. But hey look at your avatar, I cannot expect much.

Yeah, that's left over from the 2014 NCAA tournament. While I should get around to changing it, your lack of awareness is not surprising . . .

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
W

What does that have to do with the fight, that's history. I don't hear people dogging Big Ben or others who have committed crimes against women. Which I'm totally against.

You haven't heard anyone get on Big Ben? What rock have you been living under?

Reaction Score
Not too many boxers are good citizens, don't know why people are surprised, check out this Tyson clip talking to women.

Reaction Score
Everyone lost that one. What a disastrous rendition. I personally don't mind a little noodling, but when you're noodling because you don't know what the right note is, that's a problem.
Mayweather is a classic counter puncher and that is a lot different than a defensive fighter. Unfortunately, counter punchers don't make for great spectator fights.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not too many boxers are good citizens, don't know why people are surprised, check out this Tyson clip talking to women.

Not surprised at all, but that doesn't mean I have to like the guy.

Reaction Score
Not surprised at all, but that doesn't mean I have to like the guy.

I think its more entertaining to have crazy personalities in sports, I know its not funny but I couldn't help but laugh in those Tyson interviews.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

Lack of aggressive action especially from Pacman, of all people, quite disappointed me. I had not seem him fight this so lackluster- but for a few flurries (maybe 4th, 8th, 9th, 10th rounds, ........

I too was disappointed by the lack of it for the majority of the fight from Manny. He didn't seem to want to take more risk and didn't try to go for a knockdown in the championship rounds. I would think the KO he suffered at the hands of Marquez may have had something to do with it as well.

I was rooting for him, but was also disappointed that he said he was winning the fight. There was no way he was going to win without throwing more punches than Floyd.

Nonetheless, I'm fine with spending the money on the pay per view . The first fight's winner Lomachenko is the real deal with his hand and foot speed.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I think its more entertaining to have crazy personalities in sports, I know its not funny but I couldn't help but laugh in those Tyson interviews.

I don't consider Mayweather a crazy personality, just a guy that is a serial domestic abuser. Great boxer, for sure, but Philly kept wondering why people didn't like the guy. Seems pretty clear to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom