OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I want Manny to knock Floyd out. It's going to be tough given Mayweather's 48-0 record.

52-0 if you count the women he's beaten.

run-floyd-shirt-black.jpg

Reaction Score
Huh? Age has nothing to do with it. Their rate of decline is what he was commenting on.

Are you kidding?? And what do you think is driving that decline? Could it possibly be, oh I dunno, HIS AGE???!!!

Go watch mayweather make world class fighters look like amateurs in the mid to late 2000s. He was unbeatable back then. Not saying guys like gatti or corrales are all timers but he literally made them look like they had never stepped in a ring before.

Neither one of them is at their peak. And it's a shame we never saw it but the argument that manny would kill him four or five years ago is garbage. Mayweather has declined too. He's just such so technically brilliant that his decline hasn't been as great.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I'll be rooting hard for Pacman but i think money wins by ko in round number 8.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding?? And what do you think is driving that decline? Could it possibly be, oh I dunno, HIS AGE???!!!

Go watch mayweather make world class fighters look like amateurs in the mid to late 2000s. He was unbeatable back then. Not saying guys like gatti or corrales are all timers but he literally made them look like they had never stepped in a ring before.

Neither one of them is at their peak. And it's a shame we never saw it but the argument that manny would kill him four or five years ago is garbage. Mayweather has declined too. He's just such so technically brilliant that his decline hasn't been as great.
Gatti was a crowd pleasing club fighter ,and a true warrior.

After he lost to Mayweather he was interviewed and
I never forgot what he said .
" I knew he was much to quick for me to hit him in the head, but he was so quick I couldn't hit him in the chest. I didn't believe anyone could be that quick."
Floyd is a great boxer and boxing skills don't erode as quickly as the snap of your punch.
He has enough left to give a lower energy Pac-man a boxing lesson. Or even KO him.

Reaction Score

I think floyd is a terrific fighter and maybe the best of this generation (we`ll find out saturday) but in the grand scheme of all time greats hes is ridiculously overrated! All i need to know about Floyds "greatness" is a split decision against a completely shot Oscar de la Hoya when Floyd was at his absolute peak. When you are truly great you obliterate washed up fighters not lose on one of the judges scorecards and have it close with the other two. Prime ODH beats prime Floyd. No doubt about it.

Reaction Score
Gatti was a crowd pleasing club fighter ,and a true warrior.

After he lost to Mayweather he was interviewed and
I never forgot what he said .
" I knew he was much to quick for me to hit him in the head, but he was so quick I couldn't hit him in the chest. I didn't believe anyone could be that quick."
Floyd is a great boxer and boxing skills don't erode as quickly as the snap of your punch.
He has enough left to give a lower energy Pac-man a boxing lesson. Or even KO him.
Floyd hasnt had a legit KO since `07. What makes you think he can possibly ko Pac? Because Marquez did? lol! Man i swear sometimes i think Floyds biggest career win was Marquez ko over Pac.:rolleyes:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Do you know you have, oh I dunno, bad READING COMPREHENSION???!!!

Your last two lines were my (obvious) point.

Reaction Score
For the sake of boxing I just hope this isn't a bust. For the casual boxing fan these are pretty much the 2 guys that people know anymore and we have been bombarded with hype for half a decade.

Reaction Score
Floyd hasnt had a legit KO since `07. What makes you think he can possibly ko Pac? Because Marquez did? lol! Man i swear sometimes i think Floyds biggest career win was Marquez ko over Pac.:rolleyes:
Because Pack will be coming at him and be willing to take punishment to go for the knockout. He will take a lot of shots. Also Floyd has been fighting bigger guys ,who could take the counters better than Manny who actually is smaller than him.
Could Manny actually catch him ,it's possible but not likely.
If Pack decides to box him the fight will be the yawner of the year.

Reaction Score
Floyd still hadn't peaked in the Oscar fight ; that came later. Offensive fighter in Manny and a defensive fighter in Floyd so hopefully this will b good and it should go 12 with a close decision for Floyd.

Reaction Score
For the sake of boxing I just hope this isn't a bust. For the casual boxing fan these are pretty much the 2 guys that people know anymore and we have been bombarded with hype for half a decade.

Thats the thing though causal boxing fans dont appreciate technically sound boxers and that is what Floyd is. Floyd is one of the greatest counter punchers of all time and he isnt a flashy boxer. He is very technically sound and just out boxes his opponent. Casual fans of boxing dont appreciate that kind of greatness they want action and hard hits and knockouts.

This fight is going to be about who instills their style. Manny is going to have ot be active and outwork Floyd to have a chance to win this fight. His only chance to win is by knocking out Floyd. Floyd is going to do what he always does and that is rely on his terrific defense and superb counter punching skills. He wins by just being the better boxer and getting the points.

This fight has 1 of 2 outcomes. Either Manny KO's Floyd or it goes 12 and Floyd gets the W. I dont see this fight ending any other way.

Floyd is a great great fighter but I will never consider him one of hte GOAT. He constantly avoided all the top fighters in their primes to protect his undefeated record. He only fought the big names when they were on the downside and posed no serious threat to Floyd.

GGG is the best pound for pound boxer today IMO. He is just starting to get big and hes a lot of fun to watch.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Thats the thing though causal boxing fans dont appreciate technically sound boxers and that is what Floyd is. Floyd is one of the greatest counter punchers of all time and he isnt a flashy boxer. He is very technically sound and just out boxes his opponent. Casual fans of boxing dont appreciate that kind of greatness they want action and hard hits and knockouts.

This fight is going to be about who instills their style. Manny is going to have ot be active and outwork Floyd to have a chance to win this fight. His only chance to win is by knocking out Floyd. Floyd is going to do what he always does and that is rely on his terrific defense and superb counter punching skills. He wins by just being the better boxer and getting the points.

This fight has 1 of 2 outcomes. Either Manny KO's Floyd or it goes 12 and Floyd gets the W. I dont see this fight ending any other way.

Floyd is a great great fighter but I will never consider him one of hte GOAT. He constantly avoided all the top fighters in their primes to protect his undefeated record. He only fought the big names when they were on the downside and posed no serious threat to Floyd.

GGG is the best pound for pound boxer today IMO. He is just starting to get big and hes a lot of fun to watch.

Agree on Golovkin . He is a fan favorite and just destroying everyone. Roach said tbe GGG also has the best leg movement out of anyone including the boxers fighting tonight.

Reaction Score
Triple G is something else but he needs to step up his competition. He hasn't fought anybody and next fight with Willie Monroe is another joke.

Reaction Score
GGG been trying and wants to fight all the top comp. They are the ones dodging him. He's not the one who needs to step up with the comp.

The top fighters need to stop being scared

Reaction Score
Floyd mayyweather is basically the entire sport of boxing. gotta give it up to him for keeping it relevant, nobody does the numbers he does.

Reaction Score
Saw Larry Merchant as I flipped through the channels last night. First, he was talking about the fight on PBS. That caught me off guard, no pun intended. Didn't expect to see boxing talk on the PBS news.

Anyway, he felt that despite all the scenarios that could play out, the fight ultimately would end with a controversial decision. He didn't say which way it would go but most people I talk to assume Floyd will get the benefit of a decision. However, a decision in Pac's favor would almost guarantee a rematch. That makes people money and Mayweather retiring doesn't line anyone's pockets.

So, my question is this: is boxing to a point where the fighters would be in on the scam or would only the judges, promoters etc. know the plan if in fact, a fix is in? I can certainly see how everyone involved would be very tempted to fix this. Mayweather is all about money, Pac needs money and the peripheral guys are all in it for the money.

Reaction Score
So mayweather blocked rachel nichols and michelle beadle 's fight credentials for tonight. Not a fan at all of beadle, but this is just ridiculously petty.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
The fight sucked. Idk how mayweather got more punches. Pac was the aggressor and landed more combos. Mayweather ran around the ring and held the whole time

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I predicted 117-111 Floyd, so I was pretty dead-on. It was OK to watch but I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The next guy to fight Mayweather should bring a bat in the ring - fairly clear that no one can get anywhere trying to hit him with their fists.

No need for a rematch there.

Reaction Score
This was a blowout tonight, would have been worse 5 years ago. Mayweather is an ass, he is also a boxing genius.

Reaction Score
Mayweather outclassed him, established the jab early and slipped most everything Manny threw at him. Looked a little interesting in a couple middle rounds when Manny stunned him but Mayweather controlled everything. Keeped Manny off balance, picked him apart with the jab and just is clearly the better fighter. Manny is a different guy than he was years ago but I'm sure it would have been the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom